• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Fragments" "Young Conker" appearing on the Windows Store?

daTRUballin

Maybe the whole conker project spark thing guilt tripped them into making a game.

I've always thought the whole reason they put Conker in Project Spark in the first place was to sort of re-introduce him since he was long dormant before then. I'm guessing they were already planning to make a sequel when they put him in Spark. There's no way they would just put him in Spark and do nothing else with him. That'd be lame and wouldn't make any sense. ._.

RK128

I've always thought the whole reason they put Conker in Project Spark in the first place was to sort of re-introduce him since he was long dormant before then. I'm guessing they were already planning to make a sequel when they put him in Spark. There's no way they would just put him in Spark and do nothing else with him. That'd be lame.

I had that feeling too; they were very early into production on a new Conker or were in the planing stages for the new Conker when they decided to put him in Project Spark. Why else put him in the game?

Camjo-Z

I had that feeling too; they were very early into production on a new Conker or were in the planing stages for the new Conker when they decided to put him in Project Spark. Why else put him in the game?

Team Dakota said during one of their weekly streams that the reason Conker was in the game is because they were already thinking about Microsoft guest stars and the people there are fans of Conker, so they went for it. No deeper meaning behind it unfortunately, though I wouldn't be surprised if the fan response from that convinced them to do something more with the IP.

daTRUballin

Exactly.

Also, didn't Phil Spencer say that there was no Conker game in development last year? So this game evidently hasn't been that long in development then?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't there something from some famous wrestler a little while ago talking about doing some VO work for a "Top secret squirrel game" or something like that a while ago as well.

Yup ken anderson also known as mr kennedy in wwe.

It coulda meant two things. Voicing in a conker game or the line secret squirrel is sometimes used to literally mean keeping something secret

Salty Hippo

They want to make a child friendly platformer and they want to piggyback it on a popular platformer IP they already own (hypothetically). Conker is a popular platformer IP they already own but is associated with adult themes... solution: make a game called "Young Conker" and have it start Conker as a kid to justify using that IP for a mass market family game and avoid backlash from the fanbase.

Why not make a Banjo game instead? Especially when that IP has arguably more demand than Conker. A friendly Conker doesn't make any sense, but then again MS seemed keen on destroying the game's legacy with that Spark garbage, so it actually wouldn't surprise me.

daTRUballin

Maybe someone should tweet about this to Chris Seavor? Maybe he knows something about this or is involved with this in some way?

Why not make a Banjo game instead? Especially when that IP has arguably more demand than Conker. A friendly Conker doesn't make any sense, but then again MS seemed keen on destroying the game's legacy with that Spark garbage, so it actually wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah. It's kinda weird how they would make a Conker game before making a Banjo game since people have been asking for a real Banjo Threeie for years. But at the same time, the most played game in Rare Replay was apparently CBFD, so maybe they saw demand for a Conker sequel that way? I agree with you that a friendly Conker wouldn't make any sense at this point, but Conker WAS originally a family friendly IP. But this new game is apparently rated T, so it definitely can't be in the same vein as something like Twelve Tales. The Conker episode in Project Spark was also rated T (at least I think it was). ._.

Maybe someone should tweet about this to Chris Seavor? Maybe he knows something about this or is involved with this in some way?

Yeah. It's kinda weird how they would make a Conker game before making a Banjo game since people have been asking for a real Banjo Threeie for years. But at the same time, the most played game in Rare Replay was apparently CBFD, so maybe they saw demand for a Conker sequel that way? I agree with you that a friendly Conker wouldn't make any sense at this point, but Conker WAS originally a family friendly IP. But this new game is apparently rated T, so it definitely can't be in the same vein as something like Twelve Tales. The Conker episode in Project Spark was also rated T (at least I think it was). ._.

14TN9RI.png

daTRUballin

Time to see what happened after 12 Tails to make Conker a proper bastard. Hype.

You know, that's actually a pretty great idea for a game! This new game should totally be a prequel to BFD telling the story of how Conker became what he is after Twelve Tales. :p

EvB

Cool, that'll be the project code name.

All first party games get them and the names often show up right into the end product.

Forza Horizon 2 was Project Anthem

If Young Conker really is some sort of Bad Fyr Day prequel, I like the fact that it is rated T. Makes sense that it would take place between the E and M rated game haha.

ekim

Cool, that'll be the project code name.

All first party games get them and the names often show up right into the end product.

Forza Horizon 2 was Project Anthem

That reminds me that we will get a new Horizon this year. Whoop whoop

If I learned one thing from all these tweets and teases way before E3 each year, is that they are bound to disappoint. Lots of people thought that the Banjo tweets were definitely about a new game but it all turned out to be for the Rare collection. It's better to not expect anything and just wait and see.

FelipeMGM

The thing to reflect here is who could be making the Conker Game? Maybe a Rare secondary team? Maybe Team Dakota? Maybe a third party studio?

EvB

The thing to reflect here is who could be making the Conker Game? Maybe a Rare secondary team? Maybe Team Dakota? Maybe a third party studio?

Now the Avatar stuff has wound down , Rare are still fairly heavily involved in BC, but they have 2 studios, so they must be working on more stuff!

EvB

So here is a bit of Fun

If Sunset Orange is the Project name and there is a group of new games all with project names that are theme (in this case, Crayola crayon colour names)

For a new Conker game , Sunset Orange refers to the colour of the main character

What Character could the Wisteria purple colour refer to?

Phantom Dust : Fragments ?

Now the Avatar stuff has wound down , Rare are still fairly heavily involved in BC, but they have 2 studios, so they must be working on more stuff!

I'm pretty sure the studio head said on major nelsons podcast a while back (post Rr) that everyone was on sea of thieves… so, I wouldn't expect much else, we'll probably end up disappointed

W.S.

Destroying the game's legacy? That's a bit much.

It didn't run that well due to the engine but I thought Team Dakota did a decent job with it and tonally it was in tune with the old Conker.

Young Conker when he was still a prude, innocent squirrel who's learning about the harsh, crude realities of the world, changing him into the grizzled animal we see in Bad Fur Day lol

While playing the PvZ: GW2 beta, I got thinking about Conker: Live & Reloaded's multiplayer and how much a new Conker with multiplayer in the same vein would work.

gafneo

Banned
Young Conker when he was still a prude, innocent squirrel who's learning about the harsh, crude realities of the world, changing him into the grizzled animal we see in Bad Fur Day lol

Conker only got messed up when 21. Before then he was drinking chocolate milk and reading nursery rhymes.

Salty Hippo

Destroying the game's legacy? That's a bit much.

It didn't run that well due to the engine but I thought Team Dakota did a decent job with it and tonally it was in tune with the old Conker.

Eh, performance was the least of its problems. It was an atrocious game in terms of mechanics and level design, and I don't think they got the tone right either. They did try though.

I think it's easier to produce a smaller Conker game than a smaller Banjo game, because at this point if the next Banjo thing is anything other than a large, sprawling 3D platformer like the original there will be backlash from the fanbase

and a friendlier Conker in a prequel absolutely makes sense. Microsoft have no reason to sabotage their own IP

Top Bottom