• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France: Four shot dead outside Jewish school in Toulouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtofan

http://news.yahoo.com/three-killed-...QDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

TOULOUSE, France (Reuters) - A man on a scooter opened fire outside a Jewish school in Toulouse in southwestern France on Monday, killing two children and one adult, a police source said.

Five people were injured in the attack, which occurred as students were arriving for morning classes at the Ozar Hatorah school, a city official said.

The attack comes after three soldiers were killed in two separate shootings in the same region by a man who escaped from the scene on a scooter.

French Interior Minister Claude Gueant broke off a visit in northeastern France to head for Toulouse, the police source said. French media reported that security was being tightened at all Jewish schools in the country.

About 50 investigators are already looking into the killings of the two soldiers. Police said on Friday that the same weapon had been used in both incidents.

BFM TV news channel said that the gun used in the attack at the Jewish school was of the same caliber as that used in the soldiers' shootings.

(Reporting by Guillaume Serries in Toulouse, Thierry Leveque and Nicolas Bertin in Paris; writing by Leigh Thomas; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Apparently there was a similar scooter shooting in Toulouse recently, several soldiers were killed in an attack.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sure does, if "man on a scooter" doesn't scream turrurist I dunno what does.

To be honest, I've seen some hipsters on scooters and wanted to run them over like a real American.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Too early to say if this is a Neo-Nazi or an Islamic fundy. I hope they catch this fucker.

It wouldn't be surprising. With the election going on there has been a lot of right-wing diarrhea going around.

Bento

Very sad, antisemitism is unfortunately still a very real problem. However, lets not pull an Utöya on this incident and make assumptions about the shooter and his motives until we have more information.

dude

dude
Too early to say if this is a Neo-Nazi or an Islamic fundy. I hope they catch this fucker.

While I don't know either way - But them being of North African origin usually matters very little to Islamist fundemantalists, so that's not really an argument for either cause. We'll have to wait for more info.

Very sad, antisemitism is unfortunately still a very real problem. However, lets not pull an Utöya on this incident and make assumptions about the shooter and his motives until we have more information.
Anti-antisemitism...?

leadbelly

Banned
Sure does, if "man on a scooter" doesn't scream turrurist I dunno what does.

lol

More like a 'man on a scooter' who has a thing for soldiers and jews. Not exactly your average mad man. Although, I don't know what your average mad man is.

This person's motivations appear to be influenced by a certain ideology. He is not randomly shooting people. At least it doesn't seem that way. Obviously it is complete speculation.

Of course it could be a neo-nazi type also.

Wazzim

Banned
lol

More like a 'man on a scooter' who has a thing for soldiers and jews. Not exactly your average mad man. Although, I don't know what your average mad man is.

This person's motivations appear to be influenced by a certain ideology. He is not randomly shooting people. At least it doesn't seem that way. Obviously it is complete speculation.

Of course it could be a neo-nazi type also.

WTF is this?
You're saying he must be influenced by Islam without any evidence.

I hope you remember all those people who foolishly thought Muslims were involved in the Norway attack too?

leadbelly

Banned
WTF is this?

I hope you remember all those people who foolishly thought Muslims were involved in the Norway attack too?

Read that post again and tell me where I wrote 'must'.

WTF is this?

How about motive? He's making a statement based on the fact that soldiers and Jews are targets for Islamic terrorism.

In this case it's far too early to judge either which way. The attacks on soldiers may not have even been related to this.

The fatalities so far are R' Jonathan Sandler (30) from Jerusalem, his two sons Gavriel and Aryeh (6 and 3 years old respectively) and Miriam Monstango (8). There are several other children in critical condition.

Kabouter

USA Today said:
Michel Valet said the 30-year-old man and his 3-year-old and 6-year-old sons were killed in the shooting just before school started.

He said another child, between 8 and 10 years old, was also killed, and a 17-year-old seriously injured.

A fourth fatality apparently :/.

IpsoFacto

They are saying that there are similarities among the various reported shootings, as in they appear to have been made with the same modus operandi, but there is still not enough evidence to determine if it was the same person, whoever he was.

Assuming that is the same perp, motive is going to be even harder to pinpoint on something because sometimes the perp is both politically and phylosohpically incoherrent (it's a little nicer than saying that he's a nutjob).

What's particularly distressful is there seems be a rising anti-jewisg sentiment in France. I'm serious, google "jewish cemitery desecrated" you will be shocked at just how many recent occurences there are.

What's particularly distressful is there seems be a rising anti-jewisg sentiment in France. I'm serious, google "jewish cemitery desecrated" you will be shocked at just how many recent occurences there are.

France still has a lot of issues simmering beneath the surface relating to Antisemitism for both historical and contemporary reasons.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So basically confirmed it's the guy who shot these paras ?
Not yet, it's just that the investigators working on the military shooting are looking into this one shooting to see if there's a link to be made.

Hope they catch the fucker FAST. Killing children in front of a school... *shakes head*

Mael

How do you go from targeting soldiers to targeting small children?

Can't be the same motive

Can be, I mean for all intents & purposes we're talking about a madman anyway.

Security camera footage captured this photo

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100423105652/gtawiki/images/2/2f/Faggio-TBOGT-front.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]
Well at least you got the random part right in random joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom