• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France: Four shot dead outside Jewish school in Toulouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Holy shit, Le Pen is in full islamophobia and anti-immigrants mode now.

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/elec...-en-france.html

"What happened wasn't the madness of a man, it was the beginning of the green fascism in our country!"

"How many Mohammed Merahs come into France everyday in boats and planes full of immigrants?" "How many Mohammed Merahs among the children of non assimilated immigrants?"
(Merah was born in France by the way)

"I will put radical Islam on its knees!"

Some of her propositions:
"ban visible religious signs on public transportation,trains included"," preaching in mosques to be under surveillance at all time","proselytes of all kind to be monitored","the expulsion of immigrants who come back from suspect travels in Afghanistan or from other countries where terrorists are trained.For French nationals, an electronic bracelet will have to be worn permanently", "presumption of self defense for policemen."

The audience at the meeting shouted : "France is Christian!", "Sarko collaborationist!", "death penalty!", "guillotine!".
She also criticized the "islamo-leftism" and the "anti-French racism".

I feel sick just reading that.
Imagine if the killer had been a Breivik far right type.She would have been silent as fuck except for a few mumbles about the death penalty.

I love the irony of her calling anyone fascist when she proposes to put an electronic bracelet to anyone who travel in "suspicious" (read: where Muslims live) countries and want to put cops in mosques and give them the right to shot at everyone.
What in the flying fuck?

How much support does she have?

Kurtofan

Wow, considering how borderline those statements are, that's quite a lot.

She was around 20% not so long ago.Many French people really really hate Muslims.

And disenfranchised people tend to vote for her party, because they hate politics and they politics don't like the FN, so they vote for her "to pass a message" and because they don't give a shit.

Meadows

Banned
Wow 15-20%?!?!?

Fucking hell, that's way worse than I thought, here in the UK the similar BNP only get 1-2% and people never shut up about it in the US.

I suppose it's just the symptom of a problem that you guys will have to solve in the next few years.

Kurtofan

Wow 15-20%?!?!?

Fucking hell, that's way worse than I thought, here in the UK the similar BNP only get 1-2% and people never shut up about it in the US.

I suppose it's just the symptom of a problem that you guys will have to solve in the next few years.

At least she doesn't seem to have regained steam from the massacre yet.She's losing points that's why she was so vehement lately.
I hope people can see how her recent speech is a vile attempt to capitalize points on a national tragedy.

Fularu

Banned
At least she doesn't seem to have regained steam from the massacre yet.She's losing points that's why she was so vehement lately.
I hope people can see how her recent speech is a vile attempt to capitalize points on a national tragedy.

That's because Sarko is in full "security" and "immigration" steam mode.

In short he'll try to win by scaring people, and it seems to be working

G.O.O.

Precision : when she was around 20%, her speech wasn't as hateful as it is now, at it had a lot to do with the french hating sarkozy.

Ironically, Sarkozy did much more for her ideas than she ever will.

Mael

I can tell you firsthand it works. As long as you're willing to get past two things :

- Rampant xenophobia, especially in the school system (where most arabs and black people are directed towards technical fields as soon as possible... j'étais premier de la classe et les profs disaient à mes parents de m'envoyer en 4ième techno)
- Unfair chancesand treatment because of preconcieved notions.

You also have to want to integrate yourself, which is made prety hard by the first two points. Still, when you put your energy at the right place, you can (and will) succeed, you also have to get rid of the "C'est d'la faute d'la société!" mentality, and I grew up in the 9-3.

Arab derp derp derp

None, they just told my mother because they believed her to be a dumb immigrant bitch who couldn't speak french

When I was in CE2, the teacher told my mother "Your son annoys me, he always knows the answers"

Yeah I'm not sure it's rampant racism in the school system or just your experience.
I can tell you that the second any racist comment were even uttered my parents would have acted to have the teacher fired on the spot if that was even possible.
Guess the southwest is not like Paris :/

Alx

That's probably grief speaking... because there's no reason to make such accusation otherwise. His son wanted to die and clearly said so, and the police gave him many opportunities till the end to surrender peacefully.

Kurtofan

but he isn't

Breivik killed more than 70 people, Merah killed 7 people.Norwegians are a bigger threat than Islamists with that logic, yet you didn't hear anything from Le Pen on the Utoya massacre, no laws restricting Norwegian immigration or monitoring Norwegians.

And Merah being Muslim doesn't justify Le Pen saying such vile things.

And "imagine if" means that, I'm just stating the truth that Le Pen and her ilk would have shut their trap if the killer hadn't been Muslim.They don't care about security, they just care about gaining votes on a massacre committed by an "OTHER BARELY HUMAN MUSLIM :foams:"

SmokyDave

Why is Breivik considered a lone wolf and Merah not?Just because he says he's from Al Quaida?

Um, because he was a lone-wolf? Do you believe his manifesto and think he was part of some wider 'Templars' movement?

I swear, some of you must have been living under a rock since 1979 if you think islamic terrorism is new or unusual in any way. It's painted as part of a larger narrative because it is part of a larger narrative. When there are more anti-islamic extremist attacks, the Brievik 'angle' will become more relevant.

Kurtofan

I may be mistaken but doesn't LePen talk about prohibiting immigration in general ?
What' the pont of the norvegian comparison ?

There is next to no Norwegian immigration in France so people don't care, and even then they are white and christian so it's all fine and dandy for the FN electorate.

Um, because he was a lone-wolf? Do you believe his manifesto and think he was part of some wider 'Templars' movement?

I swear, some of you must have been living under a rock since 1979 if you think islamic terrorism is new or unusual in any way. It's painted as part of a larger narrative because it is part of a larger narrative. When there are more anti-islamic extremist attacks, the Brievik 'angle' will become more relevant.
It's not new, but the last Islamic attack in France goes back to the nineties, and even then it wasn't for the same reasons as today.Terrorism isn't one huge block of people, it's mostly people there and there for their own reasons, putting all the immigrants and Muslim in the same bag as the terrorists is vile.
Just because there has been more Islamist terrorists doesn't justify a repression against all Muslims, like Americans did with Japanese-Americans in WW2.

G.O.O.

Are you familiar with the french word "ratonnade" ?

It's used for acts of violence organized against people from North Africa. "Raton" meaning roughly "small rat" and used to name these people.

Breivik was a lone wolf. He had his interpretation of what was the far-right movement, but it's similar to what some people here do, even if there's a difference of scale. Merah didn't learn the quran at the mosque, he learned it by talking to fanatics on the Internet.

-viper-

Banned

Why does the actions of one paint a wide brush of all people in that specific faith?

How do we even know he is linked to Al-Qaeda. Is there proof of this? I honestly think some of you will lap up any shit the media says.

U.S. Marine is declared 'insane' or 'mentally unstable' for killing 16 innocent Afghan civilians including 9 children.
"Muslim" is declared an Islamoterrorist for killing 3 children and a couple of adult civilians.

Surely, by definition, only an insane man would strut around with guns, and jump out the windows guns blazing in a last stand of death?

I am not defending him, but there seems to be a lot of inconsistency when it comes to horrific crimes such as these. I guess it simply boils down to the faith of the suspect.

TV station gets video of France shootings

Paris (CNN) -- Al Jazeera's Paris bureau received video of the shootings in southwest France blamed on Mohammed Merah, and gave the material to the police, bureau chief Zied Tarrouche said Tuesday.
The edited footage contains images of the killings of seven people, along with music, religious singing and readings from the Quran, he said.
"You can hear the gunshots at the time of the killings. ... You can hear the cries of the victims," he said on CNN affiliate BFM-TV.
Merah, 23, was killed Thursday at the end of a 32-hour siege at the apartment in the city of Toulouse where he was holed up.
He was wanted in the killings of three French paratroopers, a rabbi and three children ages 4, 5, and 7. Two other people were seriously wounded in shootings blamed on him.
The video arrived by mail on Monday on a USB stick along with an unsigned letter crediting al Qaeda with the attacks, Tarrouche told CNN.
The memory stick contained two clips with a total of 25 minutes of material, Tarrouche told CNN.
Al Jazeera kept a copy when police took the original, but has not decided whether to air the footage, he said.
President Nicolas Sarkozy Tuesday urged the network not to.
"I ask the heads of all television channels that have these images in their possession not to distribute them under any circumstances," the French leader said.
The video of the shootings on March 11, 15 and 19 was apparently recorded by a camera around the gunman's neck, Tarrouche said. Police said earlier they believed Merah had filmed the killings and that they had recovered video after he was killed.
The Israeli government confirmed Tuesday that Merah had visited Israel and the West Bank for three days in September 2010, but did not offer details about what he did there.
He crossed from Jordan via the Allenby Bridge, where he underwent procedural questioning by Israel's internal security service, the Shin Bet, and was allowed to enter, government spokesman Mark Regev said.
On Sunday, police charged Merah's brother, Abdelkader, with complicity in seven murders and two attempted murders and took him into custody, the Paris prosecutor's office said.
Authorities also charged the brother with conspiracy to prepare acts of terrorism and group theft, the prosecutor's office said.
Abdelkader Merah feels he is being made a scapegoat for the crimes his brother is accused of, his lawyer Anne-Sophie Laguens said.
He feels Mohammed Merah's acts were "reprehensible," Laguens said on BFM-TV, adding: "The impression we are getting today is that because we weren't able to put his brother on trial because he is no longer with us, then maybe we are coming down on the only person that is present."
Police also questioned Mohammed Merah's mother and his brother's girlfriend, but have released them without charge, the Paris prosecutor said.
Questions have been raised as to why Merah -- a petty criminal who was placed under surveillance by French authorities after visiting Pakistan and Afghanistan -- was not being more closely watched.
He claimed to have attended an al Qaeda training camp, according to Paris prosecutor Francois Molins, and was on the U.S. no-fly list for that reason, a U.S. intelligence official said.
Prime Minister Francois Fillon told French radio station RTL that "there was no single element" that would have allowed the police to arrest Merah before the killings began.
He was tracked down by police 10 days after the first shooting on March 11.
In that attack, Imad Ibn Ziaten, a paratrooper of North African origin, arranged to meet a man in Toulouse who said he wanted to buy a scooter Ziaten had advertised online, the interior minister said. The victim said in the ad that he was in the military.
Four days later, two other soldiers were shot dead and another injured by a black-clad man wearing a motorcycle helmet in a shopping center in the city of Montauban, about 50 kilometers (30 miles) from Toulouse.
In the third attack, at the private Jewish school Ozar Hatorah on March 19, a man wearing a motorcycle helmet and driving a motor scooter pulled up and shot a teacher and three children -- two of them the teacher's young sons -- in the head. The other victim, the daughter of the school's director, was killed in front of her father.
Police said the same guns were used in all three attacks.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/27/world/europe/france-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Jubern

Saw this on TV. French masses hate the whole "Qatarisation" thing enough as it is, I'd refrain from broadcasting this if I was Al Jazeera...

From a simple moral standpoint, I also think it'd be plain wrong.

Alx

Shouldn't there be legal reasons to prohibit the broadcasting of such videos ? I'm quite upset that people can be allowed to show what is basically a snuff movie to begin with, and after all there is an investigation running.

Kurtofan

Saw this on TV. French masses hate the whole "Qatarisation" thing enough as it is, I'd refrain from broadcasting this if I was Al Jazeera...

From a simple moral standpoint, I also think it'd be plain wrong.

They won't show it apparently.

leadbelly

Banned

"What happened wasn't the madness of a man, it was the beginning of the green fascism in our country!"

"How many Mohammed Merahs come into France everyday in boats and planes full of immigrants?" "How many Mohammed Merahs among the children of non assimilated immigrants?"

"ban visible religious signs on public transportation,trains included"," preaching in mosques to be under surveillance at all time","proselytes of all kind to be monitored","the expulsion of immigrants who come back from suspect travels in Afghanistan or from other countries where terrorists are trained.For French nationals, an electronic bracelet will have to be worn permanently", "presumption of self defense for policemen."

The audience at the meeting shouted : "France is Christian!", "Sarko collaborationist!", "death penalty!", "guillotine!".

Imagine if the killer had been a Breivik far right type.She would have been silent as fuck except for a few mumbles about the death penalty.

I love the irony of her calling anyone fascist when she proposes to put an electronic bracelet to anyone who travel in "suspicious" (read: where Muslims live) countries and want to put cops in mosques and give them the right to shot at everyone.

She missed out 'ethnically cleansing'. :p

Wazzim

Banned

Geert Wilders am jealous.

nilbog21

Banned
"If I were the father of such a monster, I would shut my mouth in shame," French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said on Tuesday.

LOL owned

Also, even though al-jazerra won't air it, won't it make its way online either way?

sazzy

Mohamed Merah: Toulouse gunman's father 'to sue France'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17544154

The father of Toulouse gunman Mohamed Merah has hired an Algerian lawyer to sue French special police over his son's death, French media report.

Mohamed Merah, 23, killed seven people, including three children, in southern France before he was shot dead in a siege at his home last week.

Algiers-based lawyer Zahia Mokhtari told French media Mohamed Benalal Merah considered his son had been murdered.

Mr Merah's plan to sue the state drew criticism from French politicians.

"If I were the father of such a monster, I would shut my mouth in shame," French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said on Tuesday.

His half-brother in Algeria, Rachid Merah, said Mohamed had been manipulated by the French intelligence services and did not have any ties to al-Qaeda.

"I deny that formally and I have doubts that he had any link with al-Qaeda or Taliban or any terrorist organisation in the world. And the fact that proves it is that France killed him before he could speak in a trial, while they could get him alive," Rachid Merah said.

Breivik killed more than 70 people, Merah killed 7 people.Norwegians are a bigger threat than Islamists with that logic, yet you didn't hear anything from Le Pen on the Utoya massacre, no laws restricting Norwegian immigration or monitoring Norwegians.

And Merah being Muslim doesn't justify Le Pen saying such vile things.

And "imagine if" means that, I'm just stating the truth that Le Pen and her ilk would have shut their trap if the killer hadn't been Muslim.They don't care about security, they just care about gaining votes on a massacre committed by an "OTHER BARELY HUMAN MUSLIM :foams:"

You need to stop extrapolating so much and stop using the nouvel obs as an objective source to talk about the FN party.

I'm clearly against the measures Marine Lepen proposed but they are not horrendous. I don't think it's a crime against humanity to not allow religious outfits in public space.
It's neither horrible to check if there is hate speech in mosquee.
It's not stupid either to monitor people who were trained by islamists in foreign countries.
You could argue that all those measures are useless or counter productive but to call them hatefull and the worst thing a politician could say is lol worthy and doesn't add anything but more hate and misunderstanding between people.

And look at that quote :

Vous liez terrorisme et délinquance. Vous ne craignez pas l’amalgame?

Je ne fais pas d’amalgame. J’appelle nos compatriotes musulmans à se tourner vers moi car je suis la seule à pouvoir les affranchir de la pression du fondamentalisme et de la criminalité, qui sont liés

Pensez-vous que l’islam prédispose au fondamentalisme?

Je sais que certains le croient. Mais je ne veux pas le croire. Il peut exister un islam qui se soumette à la laïcité.

http://www.20minutes.fr/presidentie...pelle-compatriotes-musulmans-tourner-vers-moi

Marine Lepen doesn't hate muslims. She just wants muslims who hate France and have several nationalities out of the country. You could always say she lies and she just a dumbfuck who hates people but you have nothing to back up your claim.

Kurtofan

You need to stop extrapolating so much and stop using the nouvel obs as an objective source to talk about the FN party.

I'm clearly against the measures Marine Lepen proposed but they are not horrendous. I don't think it's a crime against humanity to not allow religious outfits in public space.
It's neither horrible to check if there is hate speech in mosquee.
It's not stupid either to monitor people who were trained by islamists in foreign countries.
You could argue that all those measures are useless or counter productive but to call them hatefull and the worst thing a politician could say is lol worthy and doesn't add anything but more hate and misunderstanding between people.

And look at that quote :

http://www.20minutes.fr/presidentie...pelle-compatriotes-musulmans-tourner-vers-moi

Marine Lepen doesn't hate muslims. She just wants muslims who hate France and have several nationalities out of the country. You could always say she lies and she just a dumbfuck who hates people but you have nothing to back up your claim.

So what having several nationalities doesn't make you a good Frenchman?What does hating France even mean?I certainly not like everything about France.

"It's neither horrible to check if there is hate speech in mosquee. "
OK, let's check in churches too, you'll find plenty of hate speech in some.Oh if you want to find hate speech,better monitor FN adherents.

"I don't think it's a crime against humanity to not allow religious outfits in public space"
It's a crime against freedom of religion.I can understand why niquabs and burkas bother people, but what's the justification in banning hijabs in the public space?Not French enough?To protect bigots from seeing things they don't like?

"Il peut exister un islam qui se soumette à la laïcité." An islam that submits itself to secularism?What, is she saying moderate muslims isn't secular enough?

"J’appelle nos compatriotes musulmans à se tourner vers moi car je suis la seule à pouvoir les affranchir de la pression du fondamentalisme et de la criminalité, qui sont liés"

What the hell does that even mean?She wants to free them from the pressure of fundamentalist and criminality?So basically she's saying that Muslims are one push away from being criminal terrorists.No amalgam here, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom