• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France: various sales numbers for Nintendo games, Nintendo #1 publisher in 2014

L~A

This all comes from another interview with Philippe Lavoué @ Le Figaro.

- Nintendo was #1 publisher with almost 4.5m games sold in 2014, second year in a row. EA and Ubisoft are #2 and #3
- in the Top 20 for 2014, 8 games are from Nintendo
- Pokémon OR/AS was their #1 games with over 476k sold.
- Tomodachi Life is at 439k on Dec. 31st, over 450k right now (quite popular with children and young girls)
- Smash Bros. 3DS is at 279k (good word of mouth)
- Wii U is at over 510k, #2 behind PS4 but still better than XB1 (roughly 430k iirc). That's below their expectation (~550k by the end of 2014).
- Smash Bros + Wii U bundle accounted for 1/3 of Nintendo's total HW sales during the last 2 weeks of the year.
- Wii U is +40% YoY.
- 240k Wii U sold in 2014
- Mario Kart 8 sold 346k
- amiibo at 200k
- 20k amiibo sold last week. Right now, most people buying them do so for collecting. So this year, they're gonna emphasize the use in games.
- MM3D N3DS already out of stock
- betting big on MH, which usually sells 100k/game.

Nintendo really does fit France, that quirky sense of creativity and not having a single fuck to give just goes so well with Nintendo's general output.

- Nintendo was #1 publisher with almost 4.5m games sold in 2014, second year in a row. EA and Ubisoft are #2 and #3
- Tomodachi Life is at 439k on Dec. 31st, over 450k right now (quite popular with children and young girls)
- Wii U is at over 510k, #2 behind PS4 but still better than XB1 (roughly 430k iirc). That's below their expectation (~550k by the end of 2014).
- Wii U accounted for 1/3 of Nintendo's total HW sales during the last 2 weeks of the year. It's +40% YoY.
- Mario Kart 8 sold 346k
- amiibo at 200k
- 20k amiibo sold last week. Right now, most people buying them do so for collecting. So this year, they're gonna emphasize the use in games.

SSB first shipment was 300k if I'm not wrong (from internal documents), so quite good that they almost reached those expectations.

Tomodachi Life is IMPRESSIVE; almost half a million units in France alone. I bet it was also responsibile of many people buying the platform for the first time.

- Wii U accounted for 1/3 of Nintendo's total HW sales during the last 2 weeks of the year. It's +40% YoY.

- Mario Kart 8 sold 346k
- amiibo at 200k

Wii U LTD=515k, XB1 LTD=416k (290k YTD)

also what is the point of the second bolded line, that just means 3DS sold twice as much as Wii U during those two weeks :p

Nintendo has always been very strong in France. One of the reason is that the manga and japanimation are huge. Naruto is always the best selling book when a new volume comes out.

That said, it's not just the Japanese culture influence. Nintendo France makes a great job at being very present in the main videogames sites as Gamekult and Jeuvideo.com ( interviews, previews, ads ). Not to mention that Nintendo's presence during Japan Expo and Paris Game Week is massive ! Good Job Nintendo France !

Nintendo UK should definitely learn 1 thing or 2 from Nintendo France because the numbers in UK are absolutely abysmal...

wrowa

Seriously. Its like the only European country I hear that has anything positive Nintendo news-wise.

It's really just the UK where Nintendo is doing absolutely horrible. But Nintendo always had problems in the UK, so that's not really all that surprising either.

Wii U LTD=515k, XB1 LTD=416k (290k YTD)

also what is the point of the second bolded line, that just means 3DS sold twice as much as Wii U during those two weeks :p

Lined up with the other consoles

2014 sales [LTD]
PS4: ~860k [1100k]
XBO: 290k [416k]
WiiU: 240k [515k]

It seems like it is a fight between Wii U & X1

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Great for Nintendo. France is a big market.
Young and family games tend to do particularly well there... the market loves whimsical experiences.

Though, Ubisoft was 3rd? Ouch, they probably aren't too thrilled about that on their home turf. EA being 2 must be surprising.

Chunky

I wish some of that would carry over to the UK, sometimes I feel like I'm the only Nintendo fan here, solemnly playing my violin as the ship sinks into the abyss.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo has always been very strong in France. One of the reason is that the manga and japanimation are huge. Naruto is always the best selling book when a new volume comes out.

That said, it's not just the Japanese culture influence. Nintendo France makes a great job at being very present in the main videogames sites as Gamekult and Jeuvideo.com ( interviews, previews, ads ). Not to mention that Nintendo's presence during Japan Expo and Paris Game Week is massive ! Good Job Nintendo France !

Nintendo UK should definitely learn 1 thing or 2 from Nintendo France because the numbers in UK are absolutely abysmal..

Seriously, the team is abysmal there. They need a shake-up or new direction pronto.

I have to hand it to Nintendo France - good team & effective.

It's really just the UK where Nintendo is doing absolutely horrible. But Nintendo always had problems in the UK, so that's not really all that surprising either.

Why do people keep repeating this line or similar about the UK, they had problems in the past and they've got problems now but during the ds/wii boom they made an absolute killing in the UK

patapuf

Young and family games tend to do particularly well there... the market loves whimsical experiences.

Though, Ubisoft was 3rd? Ouch, they probably aren't too thrilled about that on their home turf. EA being 2 must be surprising.

EA has FIFA.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Good to hear. France goes some way to make up for the UK's general indifference to all things Nintendo. (We generally have terrible taste.)

Why do people keep repeating this line or similar about the UK, they had problems in the past and they've got problems now but during the ds/wii boom they made an absolute killing in the UK

well no, they have generally struggled there outside the DS/Wii boom, which given the audience that went in and out of their hands it's obvious why

however, the real problem is people pretending that the rest of Europe follows France, and to a lesser extent Germany, when this isn't really the case

Isn't it bad that the X1 outsold the Wii U this year even w/ Smash & MK8 in what's supposedly the Wii U's strongest European market? That's the part that bothered me. How did the 3DS sell this year? I remember last year it broke 1M right?

no, turns out it was more like 950k (I remember this because initially using 1 million made Vita way too low for the year LOL)

L~A

EA got FIFA, which is pretty huge. Not that surprising, and I suspect EA and Ubi are close.

Is the Smash Bros. WiiU bundle france exclusive ?

Nope, available in most EU countries (at least France / Spain had it).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Isn't it bad that the X1 outsold the Wii U this year even w/ Smash & MK8 in what's supposedly the Wii U's strongest European market? That's the part that bothered me. How did the 3DS sell this year? I remember last year it broke 1M right?

Empty

i wonder if it's just good marketing in that region or that france is a country that respects culture, artistry, creativity etc and applies those values to games more than other places that are allergic to those qualities (cough uk cough cough).

Seriously, the team is abysmal there. They need a shake-up or new direction pronto.

I have to hand it to Nintendo France - good team & effective.

They changed their Marketing agency at least 3 times in the last 8 years, but that's not the issue. The problem is not Nintendo's image, but Nintendo's visibility ! Nintendo is pretty much non-existent in many stores in UK, that's scary ! And what about the ads ? You never see Wii U ads during the Champion's League or the Premier League, it's PS4 and Xbone One all the time.

Kuntz

I did my part.

Cocorico Nintendo

Glad to see it's not always call of duty, fifa and the sims (which are nice too don't misunderstand) dominating the market.

edit : that's no wonder al lot of people still call consoles (ANY console) "Nintendo"

explodet

PO_Glass1--article_image.jpg

SmokyDave

I love you France, but you really need to sort this shit out. Stop encouraging Nintendo.

Thank goodness we have some sense here in the UK.

Isn't it bad that the X1 outsold the Wii U this year even w/ Smash & MK8 in what's supposedly the Wii U's strongest European market?
Well, every cloud and all that.

Mory Dunz

Well yeah.
Despite what anyone says about the X1 situation, its lightyears from being a Wii U. I would expect it to outsell the Wii U everywhere despite whatever heavy hitters. (except Japan lol)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Microsoft had insane deals with lots of free games. Doing so it positionned the Xbox One as the next gen console for the poor and it gained them market shares.

MK8 and Smash won't stop selling systems because they released in 2014, but Nintendo needs to release 8gb bundles with these games at 200€.

Wii U will be a console to own with its 2015 lineup, they just need to make it accessible.

Microsoft had insane deals with lots of free games. Doing so it positionned the Xbox One as the next gen console for the poor and it gained them market shares.

MK8 and Smash won't stop selling systems because they released in 2014, but Nintendo needs to release 8gb bundles with these games at 200€.

Wii U will be a console to own with its 2015 lineup, they just need to make it accessible.

I don't understand this part

Bruno MB

Comparison chart:

Code:
(LTD sales during same timeframe)

Nintendo Wii   - 2,886,000    Nintendo Wii U  - 515,000
PlayStation 3* - 1,245,000    PlayStation 4   - 1,100,000
[s]Xbox 360       - 570,000[/s]      Xbox One        - 416,000

Edit: Sorry, the Xbox 360 figure is wrong since that was the total sales number 2 years after its launch.

*PlayStation 3 was released on March 2007 and unfortunately we only got yearly updates, this means that it's impossible to make a correct comparison. In this case it would be 22 months vs just 14 for PlayStation 4.

Comparison chart:

Code:
(LTD sales during same timeframe)

Nintendo Wii   - 2,886,000    Nintendo Wii U  - 515,000
PlayStation 3* - 1,245,000    PlayStation 4   - 1,100,000
Xbox 360       - 570,000      Xbox One        - 416,000

*PlayStation 3 was released on March 2007 and unfortunately we only got yearly updates, this means that it's impossible to make a correct comparison. In this case its 22 months vs just 14 for PlayStation 4.

That is a pretty good result for PS4

Top Bottom