• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France: various sales numbers for Nintendo games, Nintendo #1 publisher in 2014

I've always wondered why that is. What's the history behind it? I know it goes back at least as far as the late 19th century.

I think the main reason is the huge popularity of Japanimation in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Any french person who was a kid in those days would tell you that Japanese shows were all over the place ( actually my avatar and name are a testimony to that period... ). Dragon Ball Z, Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Grendizer, Hokotu No Ken, City Hunter, Captain Tsubada and dozens of other shows were so popular than it led to a huge interest in manga. Actually many of those shows were based on manga.

That period imo led to the popularity of Japanese videogames in France. JRPG for example were massive in France during the Super Nintendo and Megadrive era ( SNES / Genesis ). There were the closest thing to a manga you could get on a console. One of the reason Nintendo was more popular in France during the 16bits era were the RPGs. Sega was pretty big in France during the 8 bits era ( I won't be surprised if the Master System did better than the NES ). The RPGs on SNES definitely helped Nintendo turn things around in France.

javac

I love you France, but you really need to sort this shit out. Stop encouraging Nintendo.

Thank goodness we have some sense here in the UK.

Lmao what on earth are you on about. People will buy what they want, no idea what France are 'encouraging' by...buying games that they like. Or should they stop buying games because of some agenda? That'd be like me saying people should stop buying PS4's because it may encourage Sony to get complacent. Like...what. People buy games that they like. No idea what French people are encouraging by buying games that they liked...just pure salt.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Lmao what on earth are you on about. People will buy what they want, no idea what France are 'encouraging' by...buying games that they like. Or should they stop buying games because of some agenda? That'd be like me saying people should stop buying PS4's because it may encourage Sony to get complacent. Like...what. People buy games that they like. No idea what French people are encouraging by buying games that they liked...just pure salt.

Poor Smoky.... folks don't realize he's just being sarcastic lol....

Top Bottom