• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchise that defines this generation?

I think Uncharted 2 is pretty much the pinnacle of the sum of thisd generation, but I don't think it defined it: a VERY cinematic experience, with easy to jump in gameplay and great online. It's like the developpers got everything that has been popular this gen and perfected it. Did it define those things? I don't think so, though!

And I didn't even like the SP that much :lol But yeah.

- Wii sports

- Call of Duty

- Gears

- A Creed

- Oblivion

- Mass Effect

- GT5 Delays

- Bobby Kotick

- Uncharted 1 and 2 for breakthroughs in voice acting, natural dialogue, down-to-earth characters, pacing and overall presentation. If you can't see that, you're just jaded and overly cynical.

Raoh

Assassins Creed
Uncharted
Portal
Mass Effect
Modern Warfare
Wii Sports
DLC content (Horse Armor, Yoda/Darth Vador,

Opiate said:
It's clearly Wii Sports, in my opinion. Call of Duty may be second, but it's not especially close, I don't think.

In addition to the obvious impact it's had on Nintendo, I would argue that it is at least partially responsible for the stagnation of "hardcore" game development, and now Microsoft's (and to a lesser extent, Sony's) future strategy revolves around motion control, even to the detriment of their hardcore studios.

The entire industry is warping around the Wii. Call of Duty can't claim that.

Actually i would argue right now that in some ways Call of Duty is shaping the whole industry and everyone is clamoring to copy the formula.

Not as big of an impact as wii sports but still very big.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Call of Duty

Wii Sports

Gears of War

That's it i think. Whatever to people who think Uncharted and stuff are anything besides being quality games that get a lot of props.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Important titles for me this gen:

Uncharted proved that an awesome cinematic experience doesn't always make a bad game, but sometimes even a bloody fantastic one.

Mass Effect showed me that we CAN have a great space-opera without being Star Wars.

Red Dead Redemption showed me (and the whole fucking industry) that there IS a demand for games based on the wild west.

Metal Gear Solid 4 showed me that a game CAN make me watch through a one and a half hour long ending.

Gran Turismo 5 taught me patience.

PES showed me that a mighty king can fall AND rise in the same generation.

FIFA has showed me that Konami and Sensible Software aren't the only ones that could make a good football game.

Mafia 2 has showed me that Eurogamer.net has learnt nothing from their Mafia 1 review.

Wii has showed me that a console can be named after bodily fluid without sounding awkward - after a time. And even be incredibly successfull.

Bobby Kotick.

legend166

Objectively and subjectively, Mario.

People seem to ignore it, since it's not a new franchise or a franchise that became popular this generation, but when all is said and done and this generation is over, I think it will sit on the top of the sales charts.

On top of that, it's produced three of the best games this generation for me in:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros Wii

Supporting cast:

Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart
Mario Strikers Charged

And if we include the DS, it's not even a contest (NSMB, Mario Kart DS, Mario & Luigi series)

:bow: mario

legend166

expy said:
Uncharted for truly pushing the boundaries of storytelling in HD games. And Wii Sports for the waggle/flailing phenomenon.

Can you explain this? I've played both Uncharted games, and enjoyed them both, but in what universe do they push forward story telling? Because they've got a little better production values in their cutscenes?

At the end of the day, the story telling method is basically exactly the same as every other 'HD game' and the writing/plot is nothing more special than a direct-to-DVD entry of The Mummy franchise.

szaromir said:
How COD defined the game? Other than adding grinding elements, I don't see that many copycats.
You must not play FPS then.

Battlefield BC2-It's smaller maps and more focused level design is a CoD influence. As it's level progression. Sure they had unlocks in BF2, but not like this.

Halo Reach-It also implemented level progression in a similar way to CoD. You don't have weapons and perks unlocked, but it's there because that's whats popular.

Medal of Honor-It speaks for itself.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I also don't get how uber-sales games like COD count as having "defined a generation"

I don't look back at films and look at the most financially successful ones as the defining films, for the most part.

What are the games that will be remembered for having pushed forward the medium? Milestones of game design.

szaromir said:
How COD defined the game? Other than adding grinding elements, I don't see that many copycats.

- Online focus
- Anemic singleplayer
- Scripted set-pieces in singleplayer
- Persistent online progression
- Mandatory DLC
- FPS
- Churned out incessantly
- PC series simplified for consoles

There's more but that's just off the top of my head.

Wazzim

Banned
Mario, hopefully GT5 for me.

Other games like GeoW, CoD MW and UC2 are big ones too but I don't like them as much to be honest.

"Defines", to me, means something that stands out and has impact. Usually it's one of the first thing that comes to your mind when someone asks you about it.

It doesn't necessarily mean something that had clear originality or that it influenced successors.

Maybe I'm not defining "defines" right though.

szaromir

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
- Online focus
- Anemic singleplayer
- Scripted set-pieces in singleplayer
- Persistent online progression
- Mandatory DLC
- FPS
- Churned out incessantly
- PC series simplified for consoles

There's more but that's just off the top of my head.
COD on PC was just as dumb and simplistic though.

Though I'd agree with the rest of the list, albeit abundant scripted setpieces were there since HL1.

"Defining a gen" should be games that represented the trends or what happen in that generation.

Ico may be a great game, but it sure as hell dosen't tell me what the PS2 gen was about.

Rahxephon91 said:
"Defining a gen" should be games that represented the trends or what happen in that generation.

Ico may be a great game, but it sure as hell dosen't tell me what the PS2 gen was about.

Well, Ico slipped under the radar but developed a cult following over a period of time, so I agree that definitely didn't define the PS2 era.

Defining games of past generations:

Super Mario Brothers: Pushed games into a new realm with more depth and action.

??? I don't know what goes here.

Final Fantasy VII/Zelda OOT: Cinematics; 3D.

GTAIII: Open game world. Lots of good voice acting.

Wii Sports/Modern Warfare: Motion controls; beefed up online game play.

imtehman

Banned
The-Warning said:
-
- Uncharted 1 and 2 for breakthroughs in voice acting, natural dialogue, down-to-earth characters, pacing and overall presentation. If you can't see that, you're just jaded and overly cynical.

:lol

Mooreberg

ShockingAlberto said:
Objectively? Wii ____ or Call of Duty, without a doubt.

Pretty much.

And Gears didn't define shit other than broken online play.

I don't look back at films and look at the most financially successful ones as the defining films, for the most part.

Unfortunately, it is a matter of how the game industry works. Whatever is popular gets copied. Several shooter sequels from other franchises are becoming more like COD and less like their predecessors. The third party stuff that sold on Wii is remarkably similar to the sort of games Nintendo has made.

This isn't anything new. 3D Platformers and JRPG's were huge on PSOne and got developed in droves.

The exception seems to be GTA. It's influence is felt across many genres, but it is actually surprising how few direct rips offs there have been. I chalk that up to the amount of effort it takes to make a sandbox action game that is actually good. It's easier to make a short shooter with multiplayer or some party game.

I think it's the Uncharted series.

I always said that Uncharted 2 has the best single player and multiplayer package of this generation, a all-around experience that excels on all levels.

Usually with games like CoD, I don't think many people play the single player. But I'm sure everyone plays the Uncharted 2 single player and than plays the multiplayer afterward.

I also think fighting games have made a huge comeback, so that kind of also defines this gen.

BeeDog

Objectively, it's obviously Call of Duty as has been said a hundred times.

Subjectively, I think Demon's Souls fits the bill. It's a hard game, no doubt, but it's far from being the soulcrushing experience it is labelled as. Thus, to me it defines and exposes a weaksauce generation of gamers that 1) really love having their hands held at all times and 2) demand constant positive reinforcements just to keep their attention (à la MP perks, trophies/achievements, etc.).

EDIT: I stupidly mixed up "franchise" with "IP", but I hope my point still comes across. :p

Mooreberg

Rahxephon91 said:
Yep all those cover based games just came because game developers had an epiphany. Excellent reasoning!

Man if Namco had that time machine when they made Kill.Switch, they never would have wasted money publishing enslaved!

Mooreberg said:
Man if Namco had that time machine when they made Kill.Switch, they never would have wasted money publishing enslaved!
Well they didn't and no one remembers that shitty game, while everyone will remember Gears.

imtehman

Banned
The-Warning said:
The laughing smiley of strong disagreement.

come on man, down to earth characters?

wtf.jpg

Mooreberg

Rahxephon91 said:
Well they didn't and no one remembers that shitty game, while everyone will remember Gears.

And everyone remembers Ico, but like you said, its influence hasn't been huge. Western developers that make shooters are aping Call of Duty, not Gears. I wouldn't call a bunch of flop shooters from Japanese publishers that are like Gears a significant milestone of this generation.

Magnus

DaBuddaDa said:
You're gonna have to elaborate on what "defines a generation" means or this thread will just turn into "post your favorite game this gen."
Exactly. The wide range of responses tells me everyone's thinking about this in a very different way, haha.

I like the argument for AC in the OP's post though.

CoD and the Wii-games make perfect candidates too. I mean, you'd be hard pressed not to see motion control as the defining trend of the generation.

seady

I think many years from now, Wii Sports will be remembered as having way more impact to our industry than Call of Duty ever was.

20 years from now, we will be talking back at how the Nintendo DS and Wii, along with Nintendogs, Brain Age, and Wii Sports - on how they brought a renaissance to our industry and how they expanded gaming in a whole new way. It will definitely be a highlight in a gaming history book.

As for Call of Duty, I can't believe I am saying this…. but due to its over-saturation with tons of sequels, I think it will be remembered as just one of the "fads" when we look back in 20 years. How irony when it is used instead of on the Wii. But people will eventually (or already) lose count of the different CODs and with sequels coming out so close to each others, each iteration will lose some of its identity along the way.

I am not sure if Activision can retain the excitement of the COD franchise like Nintendo did with each Mario sequels for 25 years. Nintendo spaced each true Mario platformer pretty far apart, and each one is quite unique with its own identity (Mario Bros 3, World, Yoshi's Island, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy etc). I wonder if Activision can do that with CODs. They don't seem to be doing so good with Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero in that regard.

imtehman said:
come on man, down to earth characters?

Relative to other videogames? Yes. I'm not comparing them to movies or television. In games we've been stuck with terrible characters with bad voice acting and dialogue that no one on Earth would say.

Yes they do shoot hordes of people and they weren't deep at all or anything, I'm just talking about the banter between them. It sounded natural to me. For a videogame.

Mooreberg said:
And everyone remembers Ico, but like you said, its influence hasn't been huge. Western developers that make shooters are aping Call of Duty, not Gears. I wouldn't call a bunch of flop shooters from Japanese publishers that are like Gears a significant milestone of this generation.
Lets look at the games that have taken influence from Gears. It's not just shitty Japanese developers.

Uncharted
Mass Effect
Grand Theft Auto IV
Kane and Lynch
Vanquish
Mafia 2
Resident Evil 5(lol)
Dark Sector
Godfather 2
Red Dead Redemption
The Saboteur
Dark Void
Wanted

Would those games play like that if Gears wasn't the big hit it was? I doubt it.

Mooreberg

seady said:
As for Call of Duty, I can't believe I am saying this…. but due to its over-saturation with tons of sequels, I think it will be remembered as just one of the "fads" when we look back in 20 years. How irony when it is used instead of on the Wii. But people will eventually (or already) lose count of the different CODs and with sequels coming out so close to each others, each iteration will lose some of its identity along the way.

Call of Duty will fall off at some point but it won't change the fact that it influenced a number of important development studios for many years. Doom, Quake, and Half-Life are still influencing what goes on more than 10 - 15 years after their respective release dates. Developers will eventually have to move to something other than the modern conflict setting, but the progression system is here to stay.

Would those games play like that if Gears wasn't the big hit it was? I doubt it.

How do you explain Rainbow Six Vegas? Did that copy Gears too?

Mooreberg said:
How do you explain Rainbow Six Vegas? Did that copy Gears too? Cover mechanics already existed before 2006.
And weapon unlocks and level progression already existed before CoD. As did motion controls before Wii whatever. Whats your point?

seady said:
Aren't Kill.Switch and Resident Evil 4 pioneered the cover mechanic and over-the-shoulder cam respectively? Kill.Switch is too niche to be called 'defining', but it definitely influential. But RE4 definitely takes the crown.
Did you not read the thread? Kill Switch may have done it first, but those games most likly don't take influence from it. RE4 may have the camera angel, but none of those games play like it at all. Also no one said that RE4 wasn't influential in anything. That and were not talking about who did it first. If that's the criteria, you better take off Wii Sports and CoD.

And hell heres a better example. People always like to blame God of War for the QTEs, when that wasn't even the first one that did it. It's not about who did it first. You really think people who put those in now have Shenmue in there minds?

seady

Rahxephon91 said:
Lets look at the games that have taken influence from Gears. It's not just shitty Japanese developers.

Uncharted
Mass Effect
Grand Theft Auto IV
Kane and Lynch
Vanquish
Mafia 2
Resident Evil 5(lol)
Dark Sector
Godfather 2
Red Dead Redemption

Aren't Kill.Switch and Resident Evil 4 pioneered the cover mechanic and over-the-shoulder cam respectively? Kill.Switch is too niche to be called 'defining', but it definitely influential. But RE4 definitely takes the crown.

P90

Wii_____

Kinect, SixAxis and Move are all trying to ape it. There has not been such copycatting since...?

JardeL

KILLZONE 2 it is. Just check out the comments/views/opinions about PS3 or CELL before and after KZ2. Haters got Killzowned.

seady

Mooreberg said:
Call of Duty will fall off at some point but it won't change the fact that it influenced a number of important development studios for many years. Doom, Quake, and Half-Life are still influencing what goes on more than 10 - 15 years after their respective release dates. Developers will eventually have to move to something other than the modern conflict setting, but the progression system is here to stay.

You are right. But I also think there are two types of "influential".

Will Call of Duty be remembered as the highly regarded influential franchise like Half-Life and Mario and Tetris with their classical status in respective to their genre (FPS, Platformer, Puzzle), or will it be remembered as one of those forgotten or faded influential franchise that no one cares about anymore or be overshadowed by competitors at one point - like Tony Hawk (influenced the extreme sports genre) and Guitar Hero (influenced the music genre).

What the publisher do with the brand determines whether or not the franchise can turn into 'god-tier'.
But I don't think it is really fair to put COD in either categories at this point. Who knows what Activision will do to protect this franchise.

D-Pad

To take a different route, how about Nintendogs? Yeah? Didn't that start something big? Then you have Brain Age, My ___ Coach, which ever game started the DS adventure game craze...

Top Bottom