• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises destroyed/fatigued by countless sequels

Call of Duty is so run dry idea wise that they have circled back to WW2.

But my pick goes to Assassins Creed. Holy hell they ran that IP so dry they had to (smartfully) take a break.

Peltz

Oh I have one: NSMB. While not a yearly thing, they definitely too samey. They're kind of ruined by there being 4 (or 5 if you count NSLU) without enough experimentation or uniqueness among entries.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What have you done OP, never ever, under any circumstances mentioned a Nintendo game.
Sure this topic is prime for every Nintendo game ever made to be mentioned but you just don't do it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh I have one: NSMB. While not a yearly thing, they definitely too samey. They're kind of ruined by there being 4 (or 5 if you count NSLU) without enough experimentation or uniqueness among entries.

I'll step in and say that they did experiment... on the consoles. The console NSMB are top notch as far as level and gameplay are concerned. Handhelds? Not so much.

What have you done OP, never ever, under any circumstances mentioned a Nintendo game.
Sure this topic is prime for every Nintendo game ever made to be mentioned but you just don't do it.

You do realize some examples here have been Nintendo games and have been agreed on right? I wonder how long until a warning.

Kolibri

Medal of Honour was one that paid the price of franchise fatigue.

I actually enjoyed the modern reboot though. The online was great.

scamander

Banned
You do realize some examples here have been Nintendo games and have been agreed on right? I wonder how long until a warning.

Don't bother. His poorly attempted troll post is proof he is not interested in a serious discussion; just another console warrior.

HOT TAKES GET IN THIS POST:

Fire Emblem
Animal Crossing
Pokemon

The minor changes between Animal Crossing and Pokémon iterations are the reason I don't play every game. But they (including Fire Emblem) still sell like hot cakes and Animal Crossing fans are starving for a new entry. So, those game don't really fit the premise of this thread.

RdN

Halo.

The 2009-2012 period of anual releases really hurt the series:

2009 - ODST and Halo Wars
2010 - Reach
2011 - Remake
2012 - Halo 4

All that, coupled with the extremely disappointing Halo 4 and 343i's constant blunders (how can one forget their DLC fuck up?). Gone was the hype that Halo used to gather. It used to be a landmark launch!

Microsoft seems to have figured out that anual releases don't work, and Halo 5 was a step up. Halo Wars 2 also is a good game, but landed with a thud.. A few months in and the population on both Xbox and PC is already dead.

So.. Yeah. I do want to see what 343i brings with Halo 6.. But I believe they will never be able to bring back the series to the highs it once had.

Boss Doggie

Don't bother. His poorly attempted troll post is proof he is not interested in a serious discussion; just another console warrior.

The minor changes between Animal Crossing and Pokémon iterations are the reason I don't play every game. But they (including Fire Emblem) still sell like hot cakes and Animal Crossing fans are starving for a new entry. So, those game don't really fit the premise of this thread.

Yeah, they don't understand the concept of fatigue.

It's pretty funny too, when F-Zero ironically fits this despite being a "cult" franchise. That GBA spam really hurt it.

UCBooties

I don't know if this is going to count as the franchise being "destroyed" but it seems like we're in a bit of a slump with the Tales Of series and interest seems pretty scattered after two games came out in quick succession to mixed reception and the big push currently is a phone gatcha game...

LordKasual

Banned
Sonic

Pokemon fans will disagree, but the game appears as if it's very barely changed at its core since Pokemon Red / Blue.

Boss Doggie

Sonic

Pokemon fans will disagree, but the game appears as if it's very barely changed at its core since Pokemon Red / Blue.

I mean, even if we ignore gameplay, it has a massive graphical update. At least it has different perspectives now unlike some games that had the frozen sprites on your screen. Pretty ironic coming from a Smash Melee fan.

With that said it's far cry from a franchise fatigue.

I've been trying to think about a franchise that has not been mentioned yet.

Metal Slug.

The initial mainline run of Metal Slug, 2, X and 3 was practically perfect. Then after the original SNK collapse... 4, 5, a 3D title, portable versions... In the end so many games had come out and not a single one could get close to the originals. It ended becoming a joke

Although maybe Metal Slug is not actually destroyed, as time seems to have helps. It's like anything past 3 has been forgotten and just the original saga keeps getting re released or being advertised.

Oh shit yeah, I forgot about Metal Slug. 4 onwards introduced some gimmicks that really annoyed me since now you have to pick specific characters for their shit, and the stages dragged on forever (X had the perfect pacing, I feel).

Lijik

Ape Escape. Theres only 3 main platformers but I feel like every time i turn around 2 new Japan-only psp spinoffs pop up like some kind of shorts-wearing ape hydra
i dont know what sony was thinking going through a period where they made an ape escape in every genre but the one the series started on lmao

Top Bottom