• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank O’Connor (The Janitor/Stinkles) of 343 Industries accused of sexually grooming teenage girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjmetroid

If I was a games company I would put a ban on my staff having Twitter accounts or forum accounts at least not in an official capacity.

I always thought it was
Strange to have a 343 guy on resetera. It's a big company too. Maybe an indie company is one thing but 343? And verified as well?

It's not worth the risk. If there no Twitter forum account then then there's nowhere to send the mob and you're only choice is to go through a courtroom. And lol if they want to do that.

Mr Moose

If I was a games company I would put a ban on my staff having Twitter accounts or forum accounts at least not in an official capacity.

I always thought it was
Strange to have a 343 guy on resetera. It's a big company too. Maybe an indie company is one thing but 343? And verified as well?

It's not worth the risk. If there no Twitter forum account then then there's nowhere to send the mob and you're only choice is to go through a courtroom. And lol if they want to do that.
Why?
Devs get around.

samporter

Banned
She was an adult.

People with learning disabilities are legally considered younger than they really are. It's why they can stay in school until 21 years old. The optics don't look good for him, even if they can't fault him legally. Dealing with a learning disabilities person in an improper manner is not a good look for any company. If anything, this story may even embolden the learning disabilities crowd to report more incidents.

MayauMiao

I always thought it was

Given current state of politics, its almost career suicide for any big name devs, or even celebrities, want to have a Twitter account.

mcjmetroid

Because having a member of staff in a company that big front and centre puts a lot of peoples jobs as risk as well and their image and upcoming projects.

Again it's fine for indie developers who are probably just trying to promote their games but a big developer like that? It's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

More can go wrong than right. I assume companies like Nintendo have policies like this. They all should.

I always thought it was

There is really very very little upside, and a shit-ton of risk associated with your staff being on social media/forums.. I'd make it a blanket ban too. The company has it's own social profiles (which you gotta have) but otherwise, zilch, nada, nothing!

EVERYTHING can be taken out of context to attack someone these days.. even the most ridiculous. In the end it's the early anger and vitriol that's remembered.. not the pithy "facts and details" which come out down the road.

Last edited:
Can't stand that guy, but this sounds ridiculous. Wonder how they'll spin it on the other site since they always buy in 100% to any accusation

Edit: Oh, this person is autistic? I guess that throws a wrench into things

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

There is really very very little upside, and a shit-ton of risk associated with your staff being on social media/forums.. I'd make it a blanket ban too. The company has it's own social profiles (which you gotta have) but otherwise, zilch, nada, nothing!

EVERYTHING can be taken out of context to attack someone these days.. even the most ridiculous. In the end it's the early anger and vitriol that's remembered.. not the pity "facts and details" which come out down the road.
Exactly and from what I remember this character was writing very controversial posts anyway on resetera. I can't remember much but I remember thinking he was a douche.

Mr Moose

Because having a member of staff in a company that big front and centre puts a lot of peoples jobs as risk as well and their image and upcoming projects.

Again it's fine for indie developers who are probably just trying to promote their games but a big developer like that? It's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

More can go wrong than right. I assume companies like Nintendo have policies like this. They all should.
Lots of people in the industry post on here/Era. Boyes, Penello, this guy and so on. It's not much different than Twitter IMO. (Except they might get banner here for shilling lol).

Reee discord going into meltdown atm

Frankly (pun intended) this is a perfect storm. Do you blindly Believe Women? Do you blindly Believe Autism people? Do you defend one of their own who they share 99.99% views with? Do you stop for a moment to consider all the facts and details? You can't do all of them without being labeled an enemy by one side or another.

Exactly and from what I remember this character was writing very controversial posts anyway on resetera. I can't remember much but I remember thinking he was a douche.

He used to be cool, he used to post here and was fun/funny/likeable.. and then when the forum split happened he went over there and just went as wacky as wacky is allowed. Posts some truly ugly stuff.. got banned over there multiple times. It's a shame because he seemed like a genuinely cool/funny person before that online, and he's always been very friendly when I've talked with him in person at events/conventions/etc. I kind of wonder if he just gets off with the far left rhetoric.. but either way, a lot of the stuff he posts over there reflect VERY BADLY on 343i and Xbox and Microsoft.. he makes sure his Twitter is generally socially neutral, but I guess he figures ResetEra is safe? I dunno.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Lots of people in the industry post on here/Era. Boyes, Penello, this guy and so on. It's not much different than Twitter IMO. (Except they might get banner here for shilling lol).
In a perfect world( or even 10 years ago) yes it's a great thing but if I was Microsoft or sony for instance. I'd be very strict on banning this.

There's no benefit for the company at all at this point and way too much risk.

DeaDPo0L84

LoL, it's too easy.

tSU0xdY.jpg

Mr Moose

In a perfect world( or even 10 years ago) yes it's a great thing but if I was Microsoft or sony for instance. I'd be very strict on banning this.

There's no benefit for the company at all at this point and way too much risk.
If I was in the industry I would use a name that doesn't connect me with anything to do with my name/company, so I could troll and talk shit as much as I like lol.

LoL, it's too easy.

tSU0xdY.jpg

He's one of us! We have to protect him. Let's victim blame, but ban others in other threads for even suggesting such a thing as getting facts first.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

If I was in the industry I would use a name that doesn't connect me with anything to do with my name/company, so I could troll and talk shit as much as I like lol.
Ya that would be an unofficial Twitter account etc.

I mean a lot of leakers are closet industry people. I mean the ones that leak true stuff.

oldergamer

She seems crazy. I've know at least 4 of my buddies that were literally attacked and beaten by female spouses. 2 of the women got arrested. 1 got deported. 2 are still with them.

I'm my own person with my own thoughts. Not every situation is the same and not everybody in the community thinks like a hive mind.
You sit on the fence quite a bit but surely you can see the hypocrisy in the moderation standards over there with threads like that.

Anyone else would of been drawn quartered and strung up but because they are probably one of the last scraps of them resembling a gaming forum they join the likes of b-dubs and cerium who were both openly racist and homophobic in being protected???

You don’t see any inconsistencies here??

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm my own person with my own thoughts. Not every situation is the same and not everybody in the community thinks like a hive mind.
You've literally thought every single one of these people did it in the beginning of each thread (if I am misremembering correct me) just like most of em have. This is like the 4th random twitter accusation this same week with the same stock responses. He isn't wrong in his assumption of said place, swag.

sorry
#dab

Last edited by a moderator:

TaySan

Banned
You sit on the fence quite a bit but surely you can see the hypocrisy in the moderation standards over there with threads like that.

Anyone else would of been drawn quartered and strung up but because they are probably one of the last scraps of them resembling a gaming forum they join the likes of b-dubs and cerium who were both openly racist and homophobic in being protected???

You don’t see any inconsistencies here??
Yes and it's being called out the past couple of days. Moderation needs to stop jumping the gun on banning people that doubt after what happened with Tara and Bieber. They already reversed some of the bans on one of the topics today.

DeaDPo0L84

Yes and it's being called out the past couple of days. Moderation needs to stop jumping the gun on banning people that doubt after what happened with Tara and Bieber. They already reversed some of the bans on one of the topics today.

If those people are smart they'll take those bans as a blessing in disguise and stay away from that site so they don't catch whatever disease is being allowed to fester there.

GetemMa

I'm not overly familiar with Frank O'Connor or his accuser.

But, I've been on other forums and they've already chewed through this story and this is an odd one that deserves extra scrutiny.

This accuser has an extensive history of harassing people from 343 and especially Frank O'Connor to the extent she has been blocked by them on social media. She also has an extensive history of lying about creative ideas being stolen from her and used in Halo titles when she's never actually worked for 343. She has also made several outlandish claims about 343 that have nothing to do with her but involve theories that are easily proven to be bullshit, and crazy bullshit at that like the head of the studio is in a murder cult or something to that effect.

Her history with 343 is that she was a fan of Halo and was briefly a mod volunteer on one of their community boards and was fired in less than a month for incompetence. The tweets she is putting out are extremely cryptic and she refuses to lay it out bare. She also has a pretty suspect record of harassing people on Twitter using words that I feel like a person who claims to have autism, would not use. This might seem nuts but I find her entire identity to be suspect as in I'm not sure this person running this twitter account is who they claim they are.

She might be telling the truth but if I were a betting man, I would put my chips on this person has got serious personality problems that need professional help and she saw all the harassment claims online today and thought "METOO!" because hey why not, making a false claim has zero negative repercussions and what a way to fuck with someone. All of the stake in this lies with 343 and specifically Frank, this accuser person has nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom