• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fraud claims filed in 38 Studios case

mclem

If governments are going to fund videogames though, they should do so through competent game developers and publishers, not baseball players who are cozy with high ranking government officials. And that money certainly shouldn't be distributed in a fraudulent manner.

Was the issue partly a case of lack of due diligence from the officials in question? Are those officials also in trouble?

I Kickstart a lot of stuff, I'm wondering if I'd seen a Kickstarter to fund 38 Studios (ignoring for a moment the amount of money that would be required to do so!), whether I'd have regarded it as a high-risk KS.

tmarg

Was the issue partly a case of lack of due diligence from the officials in question? Are those officials also in trouble?

I Kickstart a lot of stuff, I'm wondering if I'd seen a Kickstarter to fund 38 Studios (ignoring for a moment the amount of money that would be required to do so!), whether I'd have regarded it as a high-risk KS.

It was a brand new studio, led by a guy who had never worked on a game before, trying to develop an MMO. It's pretty much the highest risk situation you could possibly invent in the gaming world.

mclem

It was a brand new studio, led by a guy who had never worked on a game before, trying to develop an MMO. It's pretty much the highest risk situation you could possibly invent in the gaming world.

Well, that's my point: Did the officials fail to do due diligence in determining that? Had I seen what they saw, would I have run away screaming, or were they shown something that even I would think suggested their plan was viable?

I'm curious if the pitch was misguided (at best, at worst a fraudulent lie), or if the pitch was honest and officials signed off on it anyway despite the warning signs because celebrity and image and Look At Us, Here, Bringing Jobs To Rhode Island.

inky

I just wish they could do something with those Copernicus assets. They looked great.

KoA is not a great game, but I think it's a bit underrated still.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, that's my point: Did the officials fail to do due diligence in determining that? Had I seen what they saw, would I have run away screaming, or were they shown something that even I would think suggested their plan was viable?

I'm curious if the pitch was misguided (at best, at worst a fraudulent lie), or if the pitch was honest and officials signed off on it anyway despite the warning signs because celebrity and image and Look At Us, Here, Bringing Jobs To Rhode Island.

The deal was approved by the former Republican governor of Rhode Island, who was either really buddy-buddy with Schilling, or was a big fan. Either way, it seemed like it had nothing to do with it being a safe investment.

studyguy

Shilling is gonna be that dude who has lawyers trying to hit is grave up for cash. Seems like it never ends for him.

Dawg

Shame how KOA ended up. Could have been a nice WRPG franchise. We're lacking in that area lately.

I mean, we have Witcher, Fallout and Dragon Age but I felt like KOA was more cartoony and had a grand scale. Felt like a singleplayer MMO in terms of content and I really digged that.

Game was flawed of course, but it had so many different armor sets and playstyles. Most other WRPGs really lack endgame armorsets and weapons. In TW3, Geralt looked worse than he did at the start of the game.

I think quite a few MMOs could have been better if they were singleplayer RPGs instead.

OmegaDL50

Didn't Kingdoms of Amalur turn out to be a pretty good game? Regardless of Curt Schilling, it's a shame that they went under.

It's a decent hack and slash style RPG in the vein of something like Fable, but despite it being a good game, it had so much going against it.

While the story premise may have been written by R.A Salvatore, and the gameplay design by former Morrowind and Oblivion lead Ken Rolston, as well as art by Todd McFarlane.

The developer was entirely TOO ambitious. They should have simply started small with the single player Amalur game instead of that being a entryway to their MMO Project Copernicus.

Basically a small upstart studio trying to not only release a AAA budget game with some big names behind it on top of a huge MMO on top of that.

Curt Schilling simply bit off too much he could chew. He should have tone his ambitions down with a realistic projection. Let the single player Amalur game speak for itself instead immediately go into the large scale MMO development and money issues.

Basically tried to do far too much but with not nearly enough money to support such a venture.

MAn there is so much undeserved hate for Curt Schilling. The man is only guilty of thinking he had the skill set to run a business without any formal training to speak of. Had they had an actual educated professional helping him lead the company I have no doubt they would have done well for themselves. Curt just got sweeped up by the idea of making his own awesome games. Something I think most of us gaming enthusiasts could relate to on one level or another. He just didnt have the business know how to pull it off. I legitimately feel bad for the man as he was by all accounts remarkably genuine in his love and passion for games and I can't help but think in some alternate timeline his studio could have gone onto do some truly great things.

Knowing people that worked there, I'm just going to laugh over here until I can't breath at this...especially the bolded.

I'll piggyback on PPN's post and say that I am incredibly grateful that my interview with them for a position went so horribly wrong, and was so uncomfortable at the time. I never would've guessed how lucky I would be to not end up working there.

From my couple interactions with Curt... well, I found him offensively stupid in the ways of business, and the reasons he cited for not offering me a position would NEVER have slipped from the mouths of a practiced business-man.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
People don't like to forget about $75 million dollars.

Governments shouldn't fund videogames.
Sure they should, just like they fund other art forms. They should just make sure it's sustainable and protected from fraud like this.

Nere

Kingdoms of Amalur was such a nice game, could had become a nice IP, too bad. It certainly deserves it more than some other games.

MAn there is so much undeserved hate for Curt Schilling. The man is only guilty of thinking he had the skill set to run a business without any formal training to speak of. Had they had an actual educated professional helping him lead the company I have no doubt they would have done well for themselves. Curt just got sweeped up by the idea of making his own awesome games. Something I think most of us gaming enthusiasts could relate to on one level or another. He just didnt have the business know how to pull it off. I legitimately feel bad for the man as he was by all accounts remarkably genuine in his love and passion for games and I can't help but think in some alternate timeline his studio could have gone onto do some truly great things.

He also knows how to be a giant ignorant douche to believers of other religions.

And let's not forget this gem

CNRDxAjUEAEzHOP.png
I had pity for the guy since I really like KoA Reckoning but no more

vcc

We're never getting an Amalur sequel because of this idiot.

We only got the original because he pitched 'We will make WoW money' as a business plan and got investment. Fuck. WoW no longer makes 'WoW' money. It seems the shut down and ongoing business of the company went extremely unethically. Which makes me feel if he goes to jail it'd be a good thing.

Top Bottom