• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE" 1 Year ECA membership... for the price of YOUR SOUL. Read if you applied.

Jerkapotamus said:
The ECA has been effectively run into the ground, starting with the free membership GIMAG code. It's just been one mess after another. Given how technically proficient the ECA has proven itself to be, it's not exactly a site I'm thrilled to be in possession of my credit card info.

I guess it was more like GI was sponsoring ECA memberships fees and giving it away free to their subscribers. Don't see any motivation for ECA to hand out that many free memberships.

WinFonda

I took my account off auto-renew when they ended the Amazon promotion. I guess I wasn't the only one. This is one drastic dick move on their part.

MirageDwarf said:
I guess it was more like GI was sponsoring ECA memberships fees and giving it away free to their subscribers. Don't see any motivation for ECA to hand out that many free memberships.

I'm not really sure how that deal went down. For the ECA, it vawould stly expanded their membership, which I think was their motivation. Even though it was free, you still had to enter a credit card number for authenticity. A year later, ECA have had a bunch of renewals, either because people forget it auto-renews or because they want to continue receiving the Amazon discount. Obviously, they weren't prepared for the massive boost in membership that occurred, and now the Amazon discount is gone.

What would be GI's motivation for sponsoring subscribers' memberships? It would be a nice gesture, but it wouldn't make me want to subscribe to GI any more, since it wouldn't be a consistent benefit. Moreover, it's not like only subscribers were able to use the code, since it blew up over the internet.

WinFonda said:
I took my account off auto-renew when they ended the Amazon promotion. I guess I wasn't the only one. This is one drastic dick move on their part.

I did as well, but I'm not too confident that it will still save that setting and apply it. If they're going to be shady, why not?

Rpgmonkey

WickedLaharl said:
i sent them an email asking to turn off auto renewal about a week ago and here's the response i received.

also i opted out of getting their newsletters weeks ago yet i still receive them.

I turned off auto renew a long while ago, but it seems if that's not enough they'll ask me when my membership expires (and that's when I'll just cancel it)?

RuGalz

Maybe they are trying to reduce the number of membership before bringing back Amazon. Believe!

who am i kidding :-/ gd assholes taking advantage of the coupons and ruin it for everyone

Costanza

Banned
From a mod on ECA forums:

"What I've been told is that the feature was never suppose to be there as you can tell by the terms which have been the same since the beginning. The design firm who made the site used a module that had it in and they were unaware until an actual users on these forums posted about it. They'll most likely look into an automated system at some point in the future."
Some people are speculating that the feature never worked in the first place, so you didn't actually cancel if you think you did. This whole thing is so fucked up.

I was thinking about it earlier, but couldn't they just limit it to games that are in-stock, as in, not allowing pre-orders with the codes? wouldn't that basically solve the problem?

Costanza said:
From a mod on ECA forums:

Some people are speculating that the feature never worked in the first place, so you didn't actually cancel if you think you did. This whole thing is so fucked up.

What is this in reference to?

Linkhero1

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What is this in reference to?
Canceling your ECA membership. There was an option in your profile to cancel your membership and they took it out the other day. Now they're claiming that it wasn't ever supposed to be there in the first place.

Well, I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt and ride out a year membership before deciding whether to renew or not, but now that I feel like they're trying to put my back against the wall and making it difficult to cancel I'm going to send out a letter doing just that tomorrow. This was a really dumb move on their part. I'm not interested in participating in an organization that acts in bad faith.

Costanza

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Man this place seems like a bunch of scumbags. I better try to cancel this now I guess. Where did you find this on the site out of curiosity?
It was posted in one of their forum threads... I got the quote from a CAG post so I don't have a direct link.

Costanza said:
It was posted in one of their forum threads... I got the quote from a CAG post so I don't have a direct link.

I just found it by searching. I like how the mods haven't responded in 3 days either to the posts asking if you actually have to send a physical letter.

Sorry to bump this, but has anyone been able to successfully cancel their account? I have tried e-mail, phone calls, and a written letter, but these scumbags are pretty much ignoring my requests to cancel. I think my only option is a certified letter, so I have proof when these bastards inevitably charge my CC.

Just saw this on their forums:

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6931&page=6

The last post on the now locked thread is especially disgusting.

Ugh. Now I know why they've been avoiding answering my email. Amazing how the ability to cancel online disappears and now they're basically refusing to answer anyone that tries to contact them about it.

Baker

Banned
RedNumberFive said:

Why can’t we terminate via email?

Because the org has grown too large to handle the volume and requiring a mailed piece separates those who are serious from those who are lazy or finicky – joining and leaving repeatedly – and it gives us written documentation, a paper trail to reconcile against

Holy fuck what a joke. We're too big so instead of emails we want fucking physical pieces of mail bombarding our front door every day? I didn't even know this shit was going on, but man, what a clusterfuck.

shintoki said:
My advice would be just dispute the credit charge

It's pretty ridiculous that I should even have to do this in the first place, especially considering I'm disputing the Entertainment "Consumers" Association.

What a bunch of crooks.

RedNumberFive said:
It's pretty ridiculous that I should even have to do this in the first place, especially considering I'm disputing the Entertainment "Consumers" Association.

What a bunch of crooks.
Yeh, exactly what I was thinking. This is a shady ass practice they have going on now and I hope this story gets out further so more people don't join and have to jump through these stupid hoops to cancel. I mean, they had the ability to cancel your account online until the GIMAG promotion ran. Then suddenly they took it down...yeah...not suspicious at all.

Sloegr

RedNumberFive said:
Sorry to bump this, but has anyone been able to successfully cancel their account? I have tried e-mail, phone calls, and a written letter, but these scumbags are pretty much ignoring my requests to cancel. I think my only option is a certified letter, so I have proof when these bastards inevitably charge my CC.

Wow, that last post is just pathetic. I can't believe she implies that people who want a convenient way to cancel are 'lazy or finicky.'

Hell, they still send me newsletters after I changed the email address associated with my account and unsubscribed from their mailings. That doesn't bode well for my chances of stopping them from charging my credit card.

Baker

Banned
ElJuice said:
Wow, that last post is just pathetic. I can't believe she implies that people who want a convenient way to cancel are 'lazy or finicky.'
Lol, I just noticed this gem too...

And remember the fastest way to get a direct response from ECA during working hours is through the feedback function on the site, calling, or writing an old fashioned letter (yes, people still do those).
No they don't you stupid ass person. I have not written a physical letter this decade other than signing my name on a birthday card.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wait a minute, the mod there Gypsy or whatever. I think I know her!
Played CoD4 with her as my buddy is actually friends with her and that all girl clan.

Anyway, weird.

Sloegr

BMX Bandit said:
Yeh, exactly what I was thinking. This is a shady ass practice they have going on now and I hope this story gets out further so more people don't join and have to jump through these stupid hoops to cancel. I mean, they had the ability to cancel your account online until the GIMAG promotion ran. Then suddenly they took it down...yeah...not suspicious at all.

Not only did they take down the option, but they are saying that the option never worked in the first place. So anyone who cancelled their account with the ECA and thought they were done with it forever will be getting a nice surprise sometime next year.

Prezhulio

are you fucking kidding me with this not being able to cancel expect through the mail? glad i checked up on this. there's really no reason to stay with it since amazon codes are gone forever.

the only reason i WAS sticking with it was to get discount admission into paxeast, but that never came to fruition either, right?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RedNumberFive said:

I wrote them in email a few weeks ago. I said cancel me out, Costanza killed the sole reason to be a member. And they did. And then they said fuck costanza! And everyone agreed!

graywolf323 said:
ever since the free memberships started it was obvious the ECA was ****ed up

no wonder Amazon bailed
Seemed like a decent idea at the time, but yeh like I said before, ever since GIMAG promo ran and everyone and their aunt signed up, they decided to complicate things for their users. I find it incredibly back handed that they would actually remove the ability from their website to unsubscribe. This whole promo just seems like a scam now and is embarrassing to anyone that was actually a member prior.

Quixzlizx

12. Receipt of Mail. ECA cannot guarantee that it receives any mail that Member claims to have sent. Member should, at Member’s own expense, send any notices to ECA in a form to ensure to Member that their communication arrived at ECA, which form may include but not be limited to FedEx, UPS, USPS Return Receipt Requested and USPS Certified Mail.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Baker

Banned
Can you just go zero out your credit card info or is that broken too? I don't really care, but like someone said earlier, I'm not too thrilled about these morons having my credit card on file anymore.

Tech fuck ups:
- Nonfunctional cancel button
- Removed cancel button
- We don't understand email so send us a letter
- Not a single mod in the complaint/feedback forum seems to have any contact with the actual organization

graywolf323

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:
I wrote them in email a few weeks ago. I said cancel me out, Costanza killed the sole reason to be a member. And they did. And then they said fuck costanza! And everyone agreed!

who's Costanza? :-/

edit: if they charge me renewal next year I'm going to dispute it with my bank

Volcynika

Baker said:
Can you just go zero out your credit card info or is that broken too? I don't really care, but like someone said earlier, I'm not too thrilled about these morons having my credit card on file anymore.

Tech fuck ups:
- Nonfunctional cancel button
- Removed cancel button
- We don't understand email so send us a letter
- Not a single mod in the complaint/feedback forum seems to have any contact with the actual organization

I can't find it on their site anymore. Sent an email asking where it was, but no response , of course.

Metalic Sand said:
How can i remove my CC information?
You can't anymore. They removed the ability soon after they ran the promo/lost the Amazon codes.

Quixzlizx said:
Thanks for the heads-up.
Wow, that is hilarious. We don't like removing people via email or our website or by calling, but we can't guarantee we'll get your letter in the mail either! :|

Baker

Banned
tenritsu said:
So wait, if I had canceled the autorenew when it was available, I should be ok right?
Up in the air. They're claiming that link was never intended to be on the site or function, so who knows?

Top Bottom