• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE" 1 Year ECA membership... for the price of YOUR SOUL. Read if you applied.

Sloegr

tenritsu said:
So wait, if I had canceled the autorenew when it was available, I should be ok right?

From what I can tell, no. The post referenced above stated that the option to cancel from the website was nonfunctional and unintended. They have to protect themselves from all of us lazy and finicky users, you see.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I only saved $1 from the ECA Amazon codes since I hardly had much opportunity to use it. Now I have to spend money to send a certified mail to get them to cancel my membership? I'll be spending more money than I saved from this bullshit

luxarific said:
That's actually a great idea - public shaming is the only way these jokers will change.
I'm kind of surprised the only place I've heard about this has been on this website now. I sent the email awhile ago wondering what happened with the change and it was ignored. Now I know why.

botticus

Otheradam said:
Ugh this is terrible. At least the CC I have on file with the expires soon so I don't have to deal with them.
Cross your fingers!

5. Right to update Credit Card Account Information. If the credit card provided by Member to ECA has expired during an attempt to bill fees per section 4, ECA will revise the expiration date and proceed with billing using the same credit card account.

I happened to use a temporary credit card number that should have already expired, so I will hopefully be safe from their crap.

What's really funny is that they didn't have any problem ignoring their membership terms when people complained back at the beginning when they would run out of Amazon codes for a week. They just gave full refunds. Now it's practically impossible to cancel.

Baker

Banned
What they should do even though it would make the ECA temporarily cry...

Cancel everyone's account who signed up through the free promotion at the end of the year cycle.

That would save them from having to make a functional website or sift through 100,000 pieces of mail. Paying members would still be around and if any GIMAG user wanted to resubscribe, they could.

Edit: ^ Holy fuck at that "we'll just guess your new expiration date until it goes through" bullshit. Is that even remotely legal?

So where do i send this certified letter to? I was planning to support the ECA even after the Amazon codes stopped (hell I paid full price and only used the codes twice) but they seem to be going beyond crazy here. I don't feel secure with them having my card information.

WinFonda said:
I took my account off auto-renew when they ended the Amazon promotion. I guess I wasn't the only one. This is one drastic dick move on their part.
How do you do this? I've been screwing around with the site for 5 minutes and I can't find the option. Thanks!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
JodyAnthony said:
So where do i send this certified letter to? I was planning to support the ECA even after the Amazon codes stopped (hell I paid full price and only used the codes twice) but they seem to be going beyond crazy here. I don't feel secure with them having my card information.

I feel like getting a new card at this point. This was totally not worth the trouble for saving $1 on my Crackdown X360 purchase.

Neuromancer said:
How do you do this? I've been screwing around with the site for 5 minutes and I can't find the option. Thanks!
They've removed the option. You can't change anything related to it anymore on their website after they lost the Amazon promotion. Convenient timing!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm, I just logged into my account and it says this on my account:

Expiring roles

ECA Full Membership
This role will expire on 09/12/2010 - 00:03

I don't remember putting auto-renew off or anything, does this mean it really is going to cancel on that day?

botticus

Wario64 said:
Hmm, I just logged into my account and it says this on my account:

Expiring roles

ECA Full Membership

I don't remember putting auto-renew off or anything, does this mean it really is going to cancel on that day?
Nope, that's just your current membership term. They'll rebill you on 9/13.

gkryhewy

Dammit, those bastards. I'll have to dispute the charge. Oh well, I've probably saved at least a hundred bucks through the codes.

botticus

elrechazao said:
So can anyone pinpoint the exact physical address required to send the physical letter for cancellation?
Attn: Accounting
ECA
64 Danbury Road
Suite 700
Wilton, CT 06897-4406

I hope one of their full-time staff members is in Accounting, cause they gonna be busy.

Baker

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Dammit, those bastards. I'll have to dispute the charge. Oh well, I've probably saved at least a hundred bucks through the codes.
I only ever got two codes to work. Luckily they were for MW2 Hardened Edition and GoW III Collector's Edition though.

I just called to change my account to not auto-renew and ended up speaking to a lady who did not speak English to any great extent. Either I was either able to turn it off or I just ordered the Pu Pu Platter, I'm not sure.

angelfly

This is bullshit especially considering I never got chance to use any of the amazon codes either. I hope they get this shit sorted soon.

Neuromancer said:
I just called to change my account to not auto-renew and ended up speaking to a lady who did not speak English to any great extent. Either I was either able to turn it off or I just ordered the Pu Pu Platter, I'm not sure.

:lol, I think you were talking to gypsy herself

Prezhulio

so the eca is going the route of pyramid schemes where they have you do "free trials" and and sit idly by as people call frantically and send mail to try and cancel before the charges are incurred. classy.

Effing lolz! I just called them to try and remove my credit card and they said they can't do that, that it was a new policy put in place since September when I joined, and existing customers were not notified in any way besides a change on the site. This is definitely one for consumerist, because it's a scam, plain and simple.

Baker

Banned
A Twisty Fluken said:
Effing lolz! I just called them to try and remove my credit card and they said they can't do that, that it was a new policy put in place since September when I joined, and existing customers were not notified in any way besides a change on the site. This is definitely one for consumerist, because it's a scam, plain and simple.
I honestly cannot tell if they are trying to scam us or they simply do not employ a single web developer who can make this trivial shit happen.

I mean it's so fucking ridiculous, it almost seems like they don't even have access to the database.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
A Twisty Fluken said:

So that includes everyone who registered with ECA via the free coupon code from GI. Wow.

A Twisty Fluken said:
Yeh, the guy that bumped the thread said he had the same experience. I've only tried emailing them so far, but looks like I'm going to have to go snail mail their ass.

Anyone that sends a registered letter: Please update this thread with what you hear back or if your account gets updated. I'm going to ask(oh boy) that they actually mail me back and verify they have canceled my subscription.

Looks like I'll be canceling my card because it was "lost" and having my bank send me a new one with a new number. Thanks, ECA.

angelfly said:
This is bullshit especially considering I never got chance to use any of the amazon codes either. I hope they get this shit sorted soon.
Same. I just knew I should have never signed up for it, but since many were getting deals from Amazon, I thought I should. I haven't gotten anything from them.

ShadiWulf

This sucks lol, didn't even get around to buying anything.

Luckily my debit card expires october 2010, so they might not even be able to charge it xP

A Twisty Fluken said:
You had first hand calls with them, you should follow up with the consumerist if you haven't. The word needs to get out on these assholes.

ShadiWulf said:
This sucks lol, didn't even get around to buying anything.

Luckily my debit card expires october 2010, so they might not even be able to charge it xP
Check out post 655 or rather just this :/

"5. Right to update Credit Card Account Information. If the credit card provided by Member to ECA has expired during an attempt to bill fees per section 4, ECA will revise the expiration date and proceed with billing using the same credit card account."

MrPliskin

Banned
gkrykewy said:

You saved about $500 less than Costanza :lol

Tried to call today, was on hold for a long long time. Hung up, going to send in a letter and keep a copy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some class-action lawsuit stuff if this doesn't pan out in the end.

ShadiWulf

BMX Bandit said:
Check out post 655 or rather just this :/

"5. Right to update Credit Card Account Information. If the credit card provided by Member to ECA has expired during an attempt to bill fees per section 4, ECA will revise the expiration date and proceed with billing using the same credit card account."

What does that mean, that they are gonna call the bank and get my new info? lol.. assholes.

MrPliskin

Banned
ShadiWulf said:
What does that mean, that they are gonna call the bank and get my new info? lol.. assholes.

No, just means they'll get the new expiration date and charge the card. If the entire number changes they can't do anything about it.

Wario64 said:

If it makes you feel any better, you signed up on my birthday. :D

That post by GypsyFly is crap though. I'll have to call up the credit card company and ask them to block charges from them. The ECA, of course, never responded to my Email even though it was fairly non-malicious.

Baker

Banned
ShadiWulf said:
No. Usually when cards expire, you're just given a new one with the same numbers with an expiration date three years later. If your card gets denied through their auto-renew, they'll just put in 10/2013 and steal $20 from you.

ShadiWulf

MrPliskin said:
No, just means they'll get the new expiration date and charge the card. If the entire number changes they can't do anything about it.

Oh.. I thought the number changed when you got a new card (on my first debit card). Maybe I'll just not renew for a month and then request a new one from the bank.

Anyways! Sorry for going off topic, but that was very informative info, so I thank you.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
So the Entertainment Consumers Association, supposedly originally organized as a consumer advocacy organization, turns on its own membership base by:
1) changing terms of the membership agreement
2) making it more difficult than it has to be to be able to cancel membership
3) admitting that they will attempt to charge against expired credit card accounts to renew memberships

Sorry, I hadn't joined, so I'm a bit behind on the whole timeline of events here, but this seems utterly despicable on the ECA's part. What triggered this? I heard something about abuse of some Amazon coupon codes or something.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fucking bs, now I know why they never sent a reply back to my email asking them to cancel my membership.

Well guess I will snail mail them certified and if that doesn't work I'll dispute the charge.

RedAssedApe

Banned
anachronous_one said:
So the Entertainment Consumers Association, supposedly originally organized as a consumer advocacy organization, turns on its own membership base by:
3) admitting that they will attempt to charge against expired credit card accounts to renew memberships

Sorry, I hadn't joined, so I'm a bit behind on the whole timeline of events here, but this seems utterly despicable on the ECA's part. What triggered this? I heard something about abuse of some Amazon coupon codes or something.

ECA members were eligible for (one per day) 10% off coupon codes for Amazon video game purchases. There was a coupon in gamer informer a few months back for a free one year subscription to the service. Naturally there was a bunch of people who signed up for the ECA with this. Turns out the coupons were stack-able multiple times. :lol

WinFonda

Neuromancer said:
I took off auto-renew before they changed their site. Now that they've changed it I'm not sure how it works. To be honest I am not even sure if I am safe or not. They're saying that the cancel auto renew button was a glitch that was never intended to be on their website which is bullshit of the highest order.

But this is what my account says

Expiring roles

ECA Full Membership
This role will expire on 10/02/2010 - 15:06

Sloegr

anachronous_one said:

I'm not totally sure how it all fell to pieces, but yeah, they had a huge influx of free memberships and lost their Amazon code promotion. I joined thinking it'd be a decent source of info and maybe a good source of discounts. Turns out I didn't use a single discount code, and now my CC info is tied to a company that essentially forces members to cancel via certified mail.

Good for the people who took advantage of the savings in a big way, but I can't help but be pissed at myself for jumping on the 'something for nothing' bandwagon.

Top Bottom