• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Comic Book Day 2015 (Saturday, May 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were four artists doing free sketches at my local shop, Beyond Comics. Mark Wheatly, Marc Hempel, DJ Wilkins and John Watkins-Chow (who drew a Star Lord for my daughter and turned down ten bucks for it; "It's free comic book day."). I bought three GOTG comics for my daughter, and we took home nine of the free titles. There was even a posing-for-pictures stormtrooper out in front of the store. It's neat how big a deal this has become. The store was full and there were a lot of professed "haven't read comics in 20 years" customers buying TPB collections. Is it like Black Friday for comic stores?

Inadvertently participated in my first Free Comic Book day. After my cousin and I got done seeing The Avengers at the Alamo Drafthouse (South Lamar), I asked him if he wanted to check out this comic book store (Tribal Comics) that I hadn't visited before; it was just down the street...so to speak.

My haul:

x3 free comics
Rat Queens
The Wicked / The Divine

aTD2eQT.jpg

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Inadvertently participated in my first Free Comic Book day. After my cousin and I got done seeing The Avengers at the Alamo Drafthouse (South Lamar), I asked him if he wanted to check out this comic book store (Tribal Comics) that I hadn't visited before; it was just down the street...so to speak.

My haul:

x3 free comics
Rat Queens
The Wicked / The Divine

Nice that TPB Rat Queens is so awesome

SpotAnime

My local shop in KoP PA had pretty much every comic still at 2:30pm - we ran in before our 3:15pm Avengers showing. They had a limit of four comics per person and I just let my son pick, I didn't need any for myself. He got Pokemon, Sonic/Mega Man, Teen Titans Go and Avengers. I would have picked up Street Fighter and Secret Wars for myself if I got any.

Went and got a few free comics today after work. Bought Horse Detective the first issue of Steven Universe and bought myself Bee and Puppycat volume 1 which has all the first 8 issues in it. :)

kingofrod

I showed up too late to pick up the Street Fighter comic I was hoping for, but I did manage to pick up the Harley Quinn trade and the first Suicide Squad volume - big up to Collectibles Etc in Lexington, KY for the 20% too!

My haul:

x3 free comics
Rat Queens
The Wicked / The Divine

Rat Queens is great! WicDiv isn't my cup of tea but I liked the first issue at least.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
My LCS was giving everyone Secret Wars and AN AD Avengers even if they didn't ask for them. I also snagged Fight Club and Street Fighter. GF got Bob's Burgers, which I'll read if she recommends it. The only book I had to buy this week was Silk.

I was very surprised when I stopped by MovieStop later and they had converted to a comic/collectible shop as well. Strangely enough, nearly all of their books were Hastings variants and the selection was all over the place.

bebop242

Local place had a 4 comic limit so my son and i picked out 8 total. Then i bought a Millennium comic, and my son got Death Stroke vol 1 (with kyle higgins there autographing copies) and a iron mancaptain america collection for donating 5 bucks to the local pet rescue.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
One of my local shops was having deals on everything in the store for FCBD. My poor wallet :(

Yup. Spent $64, but walked out with 24 free books, 23 singles, and 1 TPB. Amazing day. Also spent even more online when I got home. It was a painful day for my wallet, though.

Jacob

Last year was my first Free Comic Book Day and I went to a local shop (whose owner is also the organizer of Baltimore Comic-Con, and it was generally an awesome experience. This year I was out of town over the weekend visiting a friend, but I found a local shop through the FCBD website and walked over there this afternoon. They were giving away comics only with a purchase, which was not how I recall it working at the other store last year, but I guess different stores have their own policies? However, when I actually looked closely at the comics I got, I saw that the Avatar: The Last Airbender one (which was the main attraction for me) was actually the FCBD special from last year. I have no idea what exactly happened but, well ... it's just not the one that was advertised for this year; it's the one I already have from a year ago.

Other than being really disappointed about that, though, it was still a nice enough experience. But I hope to be closer to home on this weekend next year so I can avoid this particular store in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom