• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free to Play Halo Online (Saber, H3 eng) announced, only for Russia [First Info]

eFSFDC7.png

First picture

Breakdown:
4-16 players
Graphics on par with Halo 4 based on Halo 3 engine
Power-ups and weapons pick-ups on the battlefield
Rich visual and gameplay customization of weapons and armor
There will be vehicles.
f2p is about weapons, armor and power-ups
Right now developers said nothing about story mode and there is likely the game will be MP-PVP only.
Few more details:
Game was presented by 343 themselves
Closed Beta will start "very soon"
Team Slayer and Assassinations modes confirmed
Backstabbing confirmed
There will be trials and missions like "kill 30 enemies today". Typical f2p fashion.
Microsoft is co-distributing the game here in Russia
One of the game locations is Russian city

---

All taken from http://kanobu.ru/news/343-studios-anonsirovali-multipleernyij-shuter-halo-online-dlya-pc-375925/

Goog translated:

At a press conference of the Russian company "Innova" the premiere of the new game Halo Online. It will be of a multiplayer shooter, exclusive for the PC.

On the announcement of the journalists reported on Twitter. Yes, it really is a new game Halo, which premiered it in Moscow.

CA9E5EwU8AMtRTh.jpg:large

The development of truly engaged Saber Interactive. Moreover, the game will be released only on the territory of Russia.

I've worked with the Innova guys in the past so they are an actual company.

As for the Halo game...no clue. Part of me always assume China when I hear these things.

Pooya

Warface was Russia only too... for a limited time. doubt it will stay like that forever. Launching/testing there first? sure.

Majine

Banned
Did Microsoft after the MCC debacle go "Well, the Halo brand is beyond repair so just no quality control going forward, yeah?".

Kezen

Banned
That's the kind of PC support I expect from Microsoft, F2P and indies.
I would not be surprised if they bring it to Windows 10 rather than the "blockbusters" from the Xbox One.

Because it's not an official Halo product and good luck pursuing your copyright claim against us in Russia - signed Mr Putin.

salromano

Made in New Jersey and exclusive to Russia? (Edit: Didn't know they had a dev office in Russia.)

Where the images be, yo

Com_Raven

That's the kind of PC support I expect from Microsoft, F2P and indies.
I would not be surprised if they bring it to Windows 10 rather than the "blockbusters" from the Xbox One.

I would assume that this is pretty removed from Microsoft- they license it out, and get a check for it. I don't expect to see it in the West anytime soon to be honest...

Seems more like a way to build the brand in the developing markets that do not have a big console scene.

dwells

Do we think there's a chance of the community getting this running on US-based servers? The fact that it's based on the H3 engine might draw some attention from the old-school Halo modding scene.

Paging kornman and xbox7887...

There's no way this doesn't find itself coming stateside in some capcacity, right? Or am I going to have to pay for a dedicated VPN to get some 3431ping matches goin' here.

Why Russia only? Same reason CoD Online is China only. It's the main way to break in to regions where consoles aren't that big and F2P online is huge. Still, it would be nice if they brought it out elsewhere. I bet you'll see it come to China before it does stateside though.

No but really wtf!
I can understand a Halo game F2P why not, 343i can try even different things like RPG or MMO whatever but really an FPS Halo shooter F2P only for Russia…
Wow I like 343i but this… how to reduce the hype of a franchise already bad. I mean common it’s Halo, it’s like they need to sell it everywhere to survive, I want my glorious Master chief time back!
Common 343i I still trust in you!

Wait maybe it's an april fool? :D

Kezen

Banned
I would assume that this is pretty removed from Microsoft- they license it out, and get a check for it. I don't expect to see it in the West anytime soon to be honest...

Seems more like a way to build the brand in the developing markets that do not have a big console scene.

F2P is a successful genre on PC but it's also very crowded. Still, the only first party game that Microsoft are willing to put on PC is Fable Legends which is F2P, this alone makes me think they have no intention of supporting the PC platform with "AAA" games.
It's unfortunate but there is nothing we can do, I don't think this is going to be enough to build their ecosystem on PC (I'm referring to the Windows 10 store).

Maybe I'm pessimistic but the Xbox One would feel weakened in the eyes of MS if games like Halo the MCC, Forza Horizon, or Sunset came to PC.

So MS's push for "Xbox on Windows 10" will be limited to community features, streaming and first party F2P / indies.

For the record, Spencer's promise :
"Fable is just the first of our first-party games that will be coming to Windows 10," Spencer said, in reference to Fable Legends
Alright, I'll be waiting.

There's no way this doesn't find itself coming stateside in some capcacity, right? Or am I going to have to pay for a dedicated VPN to get some 3431ping matches goin' here.
AFAIK Russian online f2p games is not IP-locked, but right now Halo Online is Russian-only (voice, text) and there is a ping to deal with.

Language is barrier enough in this case.

I think they will release this game in the US/EU sooner or later, but considering that Saber is located in St. Petersburg it's easy too see why they choose to "beta-test" this product on Russian gamers.

Top Bottom