• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars (Panopticon) - Vita, 2014, "Recovery" Multiplayer Action

Pranay

BKxiVPkCQAAnsL0.jpg

(Trailer up at jp store)

Genre - Multiplayer Action

Trailer up at jp store what new section

Mod Abuse:

Official Site: http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/freedomwars/

PR translation:
Freedom Wars is a brand new game which aims to offer a new gaming experience in the popular multiplayer action genre by taking advantage of the PS Vita's unique functions. The player is a criminal in a post-apocalyptic near future, sentenced to a million years of hard labor, fighting for his freedom. By completing missions where you rescue civilians and allies who have been captured by huge enemies known as Abductors, you can reduce your sentence. The game supports a maximum of 8 players at a time in both co-op and competitive modes, and supports Adhoc and Wi-Fi Online functions so players all over the country can play together. The game will also support the GPS and Near capabilities of the PS Vita to enhance the gameplay experience.

Product Description

The Prison Cities known as Panopticon - Where all living things are sentenced to "a million years of hard labor"

In the near future, the world lies in ruins, and the outside world can no longer support life.
Humanity created cities known as "Panopticon" around the world, and continued to survive.
However, the various cities compete with each other for depleting resources and the research which can sustain life in harsh environments.
To control their own population, each Panopticon imposes penal labor on their people - The crime of living carries a sentence of a million years.
Those living under these conditions are known as "Criminals" and they are forced into aiding the war effort as "Volunteers".
For a chance at freedom, these "Criminals" fight to rescue captureed civilians.

This is a 8 player "Recovery" Multiplayer Action game made possible by the many features of the PS Vita!

duckroll

To be precise the genre is - "Recovery" Multiplayer Action, suggesting that the missions will involved rescuing people and/or recovering objectives like the first trailer showed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, after Soul Sacrifice, they are trying to push this "genre" on Vita, right? I think it's the right thing to do for the platform.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So is this game classified as "Monhan Genre"?

Pooya

Panopticon was a better name. This setting could've been pretty interesting for a jrpg too, too bad I guess.

The "Freedom Wars" trademark was registered by SCEE. That should give you some hope.

Game's barely even been officially announced. Patience, ya'll.

Fair enough, but I've been of the opinion for a long time that CG trailers or teasers are fucking dogshit. Ooooh, you made a nice CG trailer, who gives a fuck. Show the game or don't show anything at all.

BasilZero

Not so sure about the name but I hope it isnt as generic and boring as MonHun. I hope its a standard jRPG - action or not.

Ok, but that's not the part of your post that I was addressing.

Oh, absolutely. I was merely responding to your plea for patience. I got no patience for CG bullshit! Sick of it, it's the worst. I didn't know about the SCEE trademark, hopefully SCEA doesn't decide to pass for some dumb reason.

It still seems like an RPG to me. Like a multiplayer final fantasy with monster-hunter combat.

It does seem to have story cutscenes, but I don't know how MH games really work anyways. I guess God Eater was supposed to have a SP too? Anyways, it feels a bit like a missed opportunity for JRPG fans for sure but maybe this will revitalize the handheld, giving it the necessary boost to prompt Final Fantasy Type 1!
Nope.

It's not an RPG. I don't know why Sony doesn't try making one though...

Desperation made this.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Count me in the group that finds Panopticon a better name.

It sounds like they're trying to make is sound a bit different from Monster Hunter or God Eater, but still with an emphasis on multiplayer.

crinale

Like what duckroll said, it's a "Recovery" Multiplayer Action game, so yeah.

BTW Freedom Wars (フリーダムウォーズ) fits the 9 circles nicely.

The commercial explicitly said lists are this year's games.

It's hilarious that I thought this was for PS4 based on the crazy sharpness of the trailer's in-game sections. And now it's not so funny anymore because I know we'll end up with another Gravity Rush situation (incredible art ruined by terrible IQ).

Hopefully SCEJ will prove me wrong, but the vomit-inducing blurriness of HSG, GR, and SS leave me doubtful. I'll never stop believing that Vita should've had a 640x360 or 720x480 native resolution, one-to-one PSP pixel matching be damned.

Top Bottom