• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars (Panopticon) - Vita, 2014, "Recovery" Multiplayer Action

Count me in the group that finds Panopticon a better name.

It sounds like they're trying to make is sound a bit different from Monster Hunter or God Eater, but still with an emphasis on multiplayer.

looks like it will have 8 player co-op, and there are vehicles or mecha you can drive around as well as the vine whip thing you can probably use to move around or climb enemies, that alone make it different enough apart from Monhun, SS, God Eater, or whatever for it to exist. or are we going to call all co-op game as monhun clone?

I hope people give it a chance and not dismiss it as just another monhun clone.

Thoraxes

looks like it will have 8 player co-op, and there are vehicles or mecha you can drive around as well as the vine whip thing you can probably use to move around or climb enemies, that alone make it different enough apart from Monhun, SS, God Eater, or whatever for it to exist.

I hope people give it a chance and not dismiss it as just another monhun clone.

Is it okay that i'm giving it a chance because I think it is just another monhun clone?

Skyzard

Banned
If the game was an RPG they'd have classified as one, not as an action game. Some RPGs like Tales have a multiplayer component but are still classified as RPGs. This is not.

Oh yeah, that's right. This one looks pretty good.

On FXIII as not an RPG:

As far as Kitase is concerned, FFXIII isn't even really a role-playing game. "We didn't really intend to work within with the RPG template," he says. "We wanted to create a new game, even a new genre. The way we look at it, there's isn't a certain format that we have to keep to and build a game around. Rather, it goes the other way around. We create a game and, depending on what works or doesn't work within that game, it ends up reflecting different staple elements."
"There isn't a particular aspect of Final Fantasy that we've tried to retain throughout the series," muses Kitase. "We're always trying to depart from what we've created in the past. Still, even though FFXIII doesn't quite fit into the RPG genre, our mission from the very beginning was to create the ultimate single-player RPG experience. In that sense, our team's perspective was to think ahead to what RPGs will be like ten years from now, especially with the arrival of high-definition machines. What can we do to make this game stand apart from something like Dragon Quest and other RPGs on handhelds? What can we do that's different and advance the genre as a whole?"

It seems they have a strict idea of RPG in Japan, probably because they are so common and popular.

Because this has multiplayer and a different perspective and action style, they call it Multiplayer action, probably to attract MH fans too. It seems like you have a single player story side but can also connect with others to complete missions? - I might be wrong.

Well, considering how (I think that) Japan is the main focus for portables, that's not mandatory imho

It should be mandatory for a release in the West. Its like releasing a fighting game with no online or horrible netcode, it cripples the experience for many people because its much harder to organize a meeting.

EDIT: But then if and when you meet up with a friend you should have the option for ad hoc. I know this is wishful thinking but there are games that do it.

Glad to see another new game on VITA. Here's hoping it comes to the states. Also they will probably show a gameplay trailer at E3, i hope.

Is it okay that i'm giving it a chance because I think it is just another monhun clone?

why can't you be excited by just the prospect of having 8 player co-op game with mech? my only beef is with some people who classified every co-op action game as monhun clone. I know a friend like that and it's driving me nuts, mgs pw? monhun clone, phantasy star portable? monhun clone. gears of war 4 player co-op? monhun clone (he's very ignorant with western games so all co-op games are inspired by monhun according to him)

mao2

I'm on the Japanese PS store - can't seem to find it. Is the what's new section under "Welcome"?
kY0sb3t.jpg

It's actually in the What's New section (under the PlayStation Network icon in the XMB), not PS Store.

Soriku

On FXIII as not an RPG:

It seems they have a strict idea of RPG in Japan, probably because they are so common and popular.

Because this has multiplayer and a different perspective and action style, they call it Multiplayer action, probably to attract MH fans too. It seems like you have a single player story side but can also connect with others to complete missions?

That's basically just marketing talk by Kitase. "We wanted to create new game, even a new genre!" But nah anyone will tell you FF XIII is an RPG. He even said it that they were trying to make the ultimate single player RPG with FF XIII regardless, lol.

Where are the scrubs that thought this was a ps4 game?

I said that it was either a PS4 game or CG. So it turned out to be CG. :p The particle effects were too high quality for those to be PS3 or Vita visuals, even if some of the character models were of questionable quality.

why can't you be excited by just the prospect of having 8 player co-op game with mech? my only beef is with some people who classified every co-op action game as monhun clone. I know a friend like that and it's driving me nuts, mgs pw? monhun clone, phantasy star portable? monhun clone. gears of war 4 player co-op? monhun clone (he's very ignorant with western games so all co-op games are inspired by monhun according to him)

Do the same people classify all fighters as "Street Fighter clones"?

duckroll

I said that it was either a PS4 game or CG. So it turned out to be CG. :p The particle effects were too high quality for those to be PS3 or Vita visuals, even if some of the character models were of questionable quality.

Most people don't give a crap about particle effects, how good a game looks is judged by how the characters look. If this were a high end console game, the models will unquestionably look way better, unless Sony wanted to be an embarassment. :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

well, I've classified it as a "Soul Sacrifice clone" ;p

Thoraxes

You don't have to worry, I don't classify every co-op multiplayer game as a monhun clone.

I can't be excited knowing only "8 player co-op with mechs" because then I don't know if it could just be a shitty action game with a terrible combat system that also has co-op.

You're right. Whatever was I thinking. This clearly confirms and secures the future of a product selling less than one unit per store per month.

I suppose someone could fan translate it.

SmokyDave

You're right. Whatever was I thinking. This clearly confirms and secures the future of a product selling less than one unit per store per month.

I suppose someone could fan translate it.
I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve here. It just seems like straight-up trolling, but I know you're better than that. You genuinely think that the Vita is going to be discontinued before the release of this game?

Most people don't give a crap about particle effects, how good a game looks is judged by how the characters look. If this were a high end console game, the models will unquestionably look way better, unless Sony wanted to be an embarassment. :p

I'm not disagreeing about the character models. I was just say that there were other reasons for why some of us didn't think that those were in-game visuals for a PS3 or Vita game. The character models are weak, but the geometry in the environments and particle effects are way above what those systems are capable of. I'm not really sure why the character models are the weak link in that CG when everything else seems fairly high quality. Even the monster design is highly detailed.

duckroll

I'm not disagreeing about the character models. I was just say that there were other reasons for why some of us didn't think that those were in-game visuals for a PS3 or Vita game. The character models are weak, but the geometry in the environments and particle effects are way above what those systems are capable of. I'm not really sure why the character models are the weak link in that CG when everything else seems fairly high quality. Even the monster design is highly detailed.

Using in-game assets to rig an exciting sequence and then touching it up with better effects and details before pre-rendering seems to be an extremely common thing though. I'm not sure why it's surprising.

Yeah, I thought that most of it was in-game and that the character models were just stylized to look simple, "War of the Lions" intro style.

Nothing in the trailer signaled that it was a Vita game. So now I'm just prepping for massive disappointment once some gameplay footage finally gets out there.

This is why CG trailers are never the answer, Final Fantasy excepted.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
duckroll said:
Using in-game assets to rig an exciting sequence
I'm not sure what people are even debating here - the first trailer is an obvious offline-render, regardless of the target platform. The only exception "might" be two 2-3 seconds clips around 40s and 50s mark, but the low-bitrate video makes it kind of hard to tell.

Leona Lewis said:
And now it's not so funny anymore because I know we'll end up with another Gravity Rush situation (incredible art ruined by terrible IQ).
There was one early 720P native Gravity Rush trailer and IQ was not really much better, regardless of the sharpness increase - it's just how most outline rendering turn out. But I'll grant you they should have tried sampling outlines at high-res separate from rest of the scene...

I'll never stop believing that Vita should've had a 640x360 or 720x480 native resolution, one-to-one PSP pixel matching be damned.
Putting 640x360 onto a 5inch screen wouldn't make the existing lower-res games look good (probably worse for cases like LBP where AA is so high it makes aliasing almost non-existent even though it's non native), but it Would kill the IQ for the other 70% of games on Vita that are running native.

What did Sony plan for the second half of 2013 in Japan on Vita ?

Announcing a 2014 title now ...
No first parties AFAIK.
Third party wise, not a lot but games that definitely cater to the Vita niche:
- Dragon's Crown in July
- Masou Kishin 3 in August.
- Sen no Kiseki in September.

Nothing beyond that AFAIK but considering the last 2 were announced/dated in the past 2 weeks, more stuff will probably be announced.

I don't really understand what you're trying to achieve here. It just seems like straight-up trolling, but I know you're better than that. You genuinely think that the Vita is going to be discontinued before the release of this game?
Depending upon when this game releases it will quite possibly be off shelves outside of Japan. My previous estimations of a slower product phasing out were on the assumption that it at least maintained the 30-something thousand units a month, not half that.

It looks like an interesting game. But I'm just genuinely surprised that SCE are still bothering to create content for a platform that is clearly not viable. And will be even less viable in a year. And it's highly unlikely that anybody outside of Japan will get an SKU to play. I made a comment about that unlikelihood, and people decided there was a need to "fix" it.

Skyzard

Banned
Depending upon when this game releases it will quite possibly be off shelves outside of Japan. My previous estimations of a slower product phasing out were on the assumption that it at least maintained the 30-something thousand units a month, not half that.

It looks like an interesting game. But I'm just genuinely surprised that SCE are still bothering to create content for a platform that is clearly not viable. And will be even less viable in a year. And it's highly unlikely that anybody outside of Japan will get an SKU to play.

Because those numbers clearly won't be reflective of the situation in coming months and the system's future afterwards. And if they were, Sony would be doing what they can to improve it as always. They have a good reputation for these things. You think they're going to discontinue it while also pushing it with the PS4? Ok lol.

Cha

This is great news to wake up to!!
"Recovery multiplayer action", sounds grindy. Hope this game will not be a hunting action game that plays as slow as Toukiden.
Panopticon was a good name, but the new name isn't bad either. "Panopticon: Freedom Wars" has an even better ring to it :)

Top Bottom