• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

I don’t understand why profit sharing deals with both parties to the lawsuit can’t be worked out and all funds from content sales placed in escrow until the lawsuit ends. The party that wins gets the funds.

Everybody involved is ok with the game going forward with more content. A deal should be easy with payment contingent on winning the lawsuit. Only the winner gets paid. The loser gets nothing - just like how the suit will turn out.

Such deals are not uncommon. I don’t get it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://f13game.com/patch-notes/Aug15th/

Patch Notes [PC]

General Changes and Bugfixes [PC]
General
  • Addressed several issues that were causing players to be interaction locked
  • Fixed an issue that was causing party members to sometimes be unable to join a quickplay lobby with the party leader
Jason
  • Fixed an issue with Part 5 Jason’s Shift Duration being lower than intended
  • Sense is no longer automatically cancelled when Jason enters the water
  • Jason’s pickaxe kill “Canopener” now appears as “Neck Twisted” instead of “Decapitated on the scoreboard
  • Fixed an issue where window environment kills may temporarily become inaccessible if Jason grabs a counselor that is in the process of vaulting through the window
Counselors
  • Fixed an issue that caused players to sometimes load into a match as a spectator
  • Counselors that have been pulled out of a vehicle will now display the correct struggle animation
  • Small items (medical sprays, firecrackers, etc.) are no longer usable for the counselor that is performing the sweater stun
  • Addressed an issue that would sometimes cause the player to become stuck if the player opened the map while vaulting through a window
Vehicles
  • Added additional countermeasures to prevent players from being able to stand on top of cars
  • Made adjustments to the car escape volumes to prevent vehicles from falling off the map
  • Starting a boat will once again alert Jason via sound effect
  • Fixed an issue where the repair mini game prompt may temporarily not appear if the player is rapidly toggling the repair interact button repeatedly
  • Fixed an issue that caused Jason to be able to walk through cars under certain conditions
  • Fixed an issue where the reverse camera on the vehicles may sometimes not be working properly
Maps
General
  • Addressed several counselor exploit locations
  • The medical spray static spawns on the Crystal Lake Large map and the Packanack Large map will once again properly spawn medical sprays
    • Note: The location of static spawners for medical sprays have been adjusted on each map (including Crystal Lake Large and Packanack Large) for this patch and the previous patch.
Jarvis House
  • Fixed an issue where a car battery may spawn in an unreachable location
Pinehurst
  • Fixed an issue where the boat may disappear upon exiting through any of the Pinehurst boat escape volumes
Single Player Challenges
  • Fixed an issue that caused players to become stuck when activating a stalker point while entering combat stance at the same time

Doom85

Oh awesome, I saw an update being downloaded but didn't look into what it was, assumed they were just fixing some bugs (which every time they do just adds more bugs, it's insane). But dedicated servers, that's awesome, now I'm no longer at the mercy of a host who decides to quit and screw everyone else out of XP simply because the host got mad or got bored. Seriously, when I was Jason, I would try to save the host for last to kill because offing him/her would occasionally cause them to quit, simply ridiculous.

hecatomb

Banned
Ehh, I personally prefer it to DBD simply due to the variety in which counselors can win. I think they both have their place though.
I don't know why anyone would play Friday 13th over dead by daylight, the game is pretty limited. They keep adding killers and new survivors to DBD, while Friday only has 1 killer. They have already got Freddy, michael myers, leatherface, and one of the killers from Saw who wears a pig mask. Friday also has very limited maps you can play on.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't know why anyone would play Friday 13th over dead by daylight, the game is pretty limited. They keep adding killers and new survivors to DBD, while Friday only has 1 killer. They have already got Freddy, michael myers, leatherface, and one of the killers from Saw who wears a pig mask. Friday also has very limited maps you can play on.
Different strokes for different folks.

I personally prefer the various methods which counselors can attempt to win. And while it is only Jason, you do have to adjust your playstyle depending on which one you're using.

I really enjoy DBD, but I tend to get bored of it quite a bit faster than I do with F13.

Doom85

Eh, I saw Let's Play-ers cover both games when they first came out and Friday just seemed more appealing. DBD seemed too heavily favored for the killer (in Friday, Jason does have somewhat of an advantage but at a reasonable level) and none of what you were doing in DBD seemed that exciting. The options to evade Jason in Friday were pretty cool, whereas it seemed in DBD once you were spotted you were basically dead (or if you hit a trap which seemed far harder to notice than in Friday, and Friday makes it easier to heal and get away once that happens), sure you could run away from the killer for a while but they would ultimately catch you and unlike Friday one dead player really hurts the others' chance of success since there's significantly less players than a Friday match. In Friday, you can play counselors designed to avoid Jason with their high stealth and repair cars/boats/fuses with their high repair (AJ, Deborah, and a few others excelled at this) or counselors designed to evade Jason with their high speed/stamina and/or keep dealing damage to Jason to keep him constantly getting stunned (Vanessa, Bugzy, and Chad excel at this). While I assume the DBD characters have different stats, it seemed like everyone had the same strategy: stealthy avoid the killer for as long as possible and work on repairs.

Now maybe DBD has significantly changed its gameplay since and it barely resembles what I saw when it first came out, but yeah I'm happy I went with Friday. Friday the 13th also just has more of an identity to me by sticking to one horror series rather than throwing everything into the blender. Like the original Halloween is my favorite horror movie and the series as a whole my favorite horror film series (despite a few duds in it) but I want a full-fledged Halloween game akin to Friday with all the possible maps (Laurie's neighborhood, the hospital from 2, Haddonfield school in 4, both versions of the Myers house from 5 and 8, the school from H20, etc.) and a ton of the characters (Loomis has to be included obviously).

I might grab DBD later on in life but I try to limit how many multiplayer games I play at once as I don't want too much time taken away from single-player games. Right now I'm good with my Overwatch, Friday, and the occasional Splatoon 2 sessions.

MiguelItUp

this game could have been so much better, but it seems like this game will always be in the shadow of dead by daylight
It all comes down to different strokes different folks, like others have mentioned. I've always been a Friday the 13th fan, so of course I'm kind of biased, but I really do prefer F13's gameplay over DBD. DBD has just always felt like it was missing something to me, and that something was never addressed, instead they just keep adding new killers and maps.

Personally, I wish I enjoyed DBD more, but it is what it is. Friday the 13th is a great horror/asymmetrical multiplayer experience. I'm just really bummed about the court case holding back the content. I'll continue to hope the things will change, but I doubt it.

hecatomb

Banned
Eh, I saw Let's Play-ers cover both games when they first came out and Friday just seemed more appealing. DBD seemed too heavily favored for the killer (in Friday, Jason does have somewhat of an advantage but at a reasonable level) and none of what you were doing in DBD seemed that exciting. The options to evade Jason in Friday were pretty cool, whereas it seemed in DBD once you were spotted you were basically dead (or if you hit a trap which seemed far harder to notice than in Friday, and Friday makes it easier to heal and get away once that happens), sure you could run away from the killer for a while but they would ultimately catch you and unlike Friday one dead player really hurts the others' chance of success since there's significantly less players than a Friday match. In Friday, you can play counselors designed to avoid Jason with their high stealth and repair cars/boats/fuses with their high repair (AJ, Deborah, and a few others excelled at this) or counselors designed to evade Jason with their high speed/stamina and/or keep dealing damage to Jason to keep him constantly getting stunned (Vanessa, Bugzy, and Chad excel at this). While I assume the DBD characters have different stats, it seemed like everyone had the same strategy: stealthy avoid the killer for as long as possible and work on repairs.

Now maybe DBD has significantly changed its gameplay since and it barely resembles what I saw when it first came out, but yeah I'm happy I went with Friday. Friday the 13th also just has more of an identity to me by sticking to one horror series rather than throwing everything into the blender. Like the original Halloween is my favorite horror movie and the series as a whole my favorite horror film series (despite a few duds in it) but I want a full-fledged Halloween game akin to Friday with all the possible maps (Laurie's neighborhood, the hospital from 2, Haddonfield school in 4, both versions of the Myers house from 5 and 8, the school from H20, etc.) and a ton of the characters (Loomis has to be included obviously).

I might grab DBD later on in life but I try to limit how many multiplayer games I play at once as I don't want too much time taken away from single-player games. Right now I'm good with my Overwatch, Friday, and the occasional Splatoon 2 sessions.
DBD is not in favor or the killer, unless you are bad at the game, the game requires team work. If anything Friday heavily favors survivors, just seems to be more casual game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
DBD is not in favor or the killer, unless you are bad at the game, the game requires team work. If anything Friday heavily favors survivors, just seems to be more casual game.

Mhm, but it is so much fun if you get into a group of people who don't mind "Perverted Jason" roleplay.

hecatomb

Banned
Mhm, but it is so much fun if you get into a group of people who don't mind "Perverted Jason" roleplay.
it seems to me like the reason why people like Friday is cause, it favors survivors, and has 7 survivors. It just seems pretty unbalanced. What are the chances of Jason actually killing all 7 of them? DBD actually had to buff the killers cause survivors kept winning

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
it seems to me like the reason why people like Friday is cause, it favors survivors, and has 7 survivors. It just seems pretty unbalanced. What are the chances of Jason actually killing all 7 of them? DBD actually had to buff the killers cause survivors kept winning
The chances of Jason killing everyone is very, very high. Unless you don't know what you're doing.

Early on, people did nothing but whine about OP Jason was so they had to need a bit with stun resistance and trap stacking. It's much more balanced now, but a good Jason still almost always wins as long as they're using the proper playstyle for the Jason they're using.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
The chances of Jason killing everyone is very, very high. Unless you don't know what you're doing.

Early on, people did nothing but whine about OP Jason was so they had to need a bit with stun resistance and trap stacking. It's much more balanced now, but a good Jason still almost always wins as long as they're using the proper playstyle for the Jason they're using.
You think they will ever add other killers besides Jason? Seems kind of repetitive to only use him as the killer.

Last edited:

Dthomp

You think they will ever add other killers besides Jason? Seems kind of repetitive to only use him as the killer.

Well..it is Friday the 13th. Not random killers the game. Every area is based off different ft13 settings. Wouldn’t be true to the identity of the game they wanted to build. Each Jason does play very differently as well

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Well..it is Friday the 13th. Not random killers the game. Every area is based off different ft13 settings. Wouldn’t be true to the identity of the game they wanted to build. Each Jason does play very differently as well
well there were other killers besides Jason in the movies like his Mom

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
No, it's a Friday the 13th game. Why would other killers be in it? Only other one they could add would be Pamela, but the game isn't getting anymore DLC. At least it wasn't supposed to due to the lawsuit, but with that being over some have hope.

Roy from Part V is in it, but since he was a copycat killer he plays like Jason.

Last edited:

dolabla

No, it's a Friday the 13th game. Why would other killers be in it? Only other one they could add would be Pamela, but the game isn't getting anymore DLC. At least it wasn't supposed to due to the lawsuit, but with that being over some have hope.

Roy from Part V is in it, but since he was a copycat killer he plays like Jason.

They could add Freddy :)

They finally settled the lawsuit? I didn't even know that.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They could add Freddy :)

They finally settled the lawsuit? I didn't even know that.
Gun said they'll be putting out a press release next week regarding it, but first they're going to allow the rights holders to put out their press releases first.

Hopefully they go back on their claim of no longer doing content, as they just signed a new contract with a new dev team taking over development duties.

And they can't add Freddy due to a) his film rights being with another movie studio and b) he's already been licensed to Behaviour Interactive for Dead by Daylight.

Edit: Also, for those interested, I'm thinking of scheduling some private matches once the game goes live on PS Plus and help ease new players into the game mechanics.

Last edited:

dolabla

Gun said they'll be putting out a press release next week regarding it, but first they're going to allow the rights holders to put out their press releases first.

Hopefully they go back on their claim of no longer doing content, as they just signed a new contract with a new dev team taking over development duties.

And they can't add Freddy due to a) his film rights being with another movie studio and b) he's already been licensed to Behaviour Interactive for Dead by Daylight.

Edit: Also, for those interested, I'm thinking of scheduling some private matches once the game goes live on PS Plus and help ease new players into the game mechanics.

Yeah, I so hope they can start adding content again. This is pretty much all I'm playing online. Would love to finally get that Jason X map.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
https://www.relyonhorror.com/in-dep...friday-the-13th-lawsuit-and-the-games-future/

Q: With Illfonic freed up to pursue additional projects, in the unlikely scenario that the legal disputes are resolved soon in your favor, is there a chance Gun Media will have Black Tower Studios complete the content that was cancelled?

A: Unfortunately, with the way game development works, the only answer we can give for this question is no.
This interview was posted on Wednesday, the lawsuit verdict was made yesterday.

Last edited:

NickFire

This interview was posted on Wednesday, the lawsuit verdict was made yesterday.
They said a while back that there would be no new content regardless of when the lawsuit ends. Then recently they said the new company was brought in for bug fixes basically. I heard, don't know if its true, that the new company helped on some design work that never finished. I really want to believe they may reverse course, but I am expecting nothing more than lip service to appeal's not being decided so no change legally, and/or we already moved on. Based on how everything went down both before and after the lawsuit was known to be an issue, I think they decided to use the lawsuit as an excuse to cash out once the majority of expected lifetime sales were already consummated.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They said a while back that there would be no new content regardless of when the lawsuit ends. Then recently they said the new company was brought in for bug fixes basically. I heard, don't know if its true, that the new company helped on some design work that never finished. I really want to believe they may reverse course, but I am expecting nothing more than lip service to appeal's not being decided so no change legally, and/or we already moved on. Based on how everything went down both before and after the lawsuit was known to be an issue, I think they decided to use the lawsuit as an excuse to cash out once the majority of expected lifetime sales were already consummated.
Yeah but they said they'd be putting out a press release later this week once the rights holders have issued theirs. I know some people have hope that they've changed their minds, but I'm not holding my breath.

NickFire

Yeah but they said they'd be putting out a press release later this week once the rights holders have issued theirs. I know some people have hope that they've changed their minds, but I'm not holding my breath.

The cynic (realist) in me says they are desperately hoping at least one rights holder claims they will appeal the case to justify saying no to future content over legal issues. I really want to be wrong, but their track record is that shitty. Never re-released retro-Jason as they claimed, cancelled paranoia after getting the core excited, and never finished work on the content they did announce and teased. If they weren't using lawsuit as excuse, why not put all resources into finishing the content that started to release on time. Clearly the dedicated servers could have been put off a bit longer since they launched them post lawsuit ends development position.

dolabla

I was wondering what was going on. I couldn't connect to any game. It did throw me in a room by myself, but it didn't say dedicated server. It was the old p2p setup, I guess?

Hope they get it online tonight. Really want to play.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was wondering what was going on. I couldn't connect to any game. It did throw me in a room by myself, but it didn't say dedicated server. It was the old p2p setup, I guess?

Hope they get it online tonight. Really want to play.
If they're not up we could always just set up a private match.

dolabla

If they're not up we could always just set up a private match.

I'd be down for that. I'll get back on in the next hour/hour and a half. I'm going to go pick up something to eat.

I'll check back in this thread when I get done. If you want to go ahead and add me, it's the same name as my GAF name. Shoot me a friend request.

Top Bottom