• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON: God abandons PS4 as The Great Flood wipes out Sony HQ [Up: Reveal in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSpidey

This is the best way to futureproof the device. Remember how the PS3 never got cross-game chat? That's what happen when you under provision the OS resources.

wizzbang

Banned
3.5 seems excessive, why can't they do this with 2 or something? Such a huge amount of overhead :/

Also 'blowing' 3.5 of GDDR 5 for OS is dopey. Would've been cheaper to have a solid 6gb for the console and 2gb of 'normal' ram elsewhere for the OS surely?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Nobody knows how much the OS uses.

We only know upwards of 3.5 MIGHT be off limits to games. FOR NOW. This is all still speculation.

PFD

Oh hey, they read NeoGAF

wp_20130712_006-23kosb.jpg

:p

Krilekk

Banned
I guess it's inevitable they had to use some RAM for the OS.
what I don't get it why they need 3.5 GB, it's not like they're trying to be a fake ass media box like a certain product starting with a X

Game streaming and recording eat up sizeable chunks. And then there's the Eye. Kinect 2.0 is rumoured to need 1 GB just for sound processing. PS4 offers a similar 4 mic array.

Kibbles

GPU is weaker in xb
RAM is slower in xb
And less RAM, slower RAM, is potentially available for games in xb.

It doesn't change the landscape here.

I get the slower RAM but less? Xbox uses 3GB for OS, this article says 3.5 for PS4? I don't know what people keep twisting the 3.5 into 2.5 and lower.

qko

Game streaming and recording eat up sizeable chunks. And then there's the Eye. Kinect 2.0 is rumoured to need 1 GB just for sound processing. PS4 offers a similar 4 mic array.

People must realize that even though Sony dropped the PS Eye in order to keep the cost below $400, the system still is designed to consume memory for those that purchase one.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Bloody hell, the sooner this gets clarified the better.

I get the slower RAM but less? Xbox uses 3GB for OS, this article says 3.5 for PS4? I don't know what people keep twisting the 3.5 into 2.5 and lower.

Nobody is twisting anything. GAF insiders have already come out and said the RAM numbers are wrong and that the number is more like 1.5-2.5GB for the OS with a GB held for future upgrades. People keep making it 3.5GB to make it sound worse.

FranXico

4.5GB + 1GB "flexible" memory shared between the OS and games. = 5.5GB.

5.5 > 5 last I heard.

It's redundant at this point. Both machines have roughly the same amount of memory available.

Hydrargyrus

Could anyone explain me what does this means?
"PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of its 8GB GDDR5 memory for the operating system, leaving 4.5GB of space for game code, according to current PlayStation 4 documentation shown to Digital Foundry by a well-placed development source. However, further sources suggest that an additional 1GB of "flexible memory" may be reclaimed from the OS reservation, based on availability

What is this 1GB of flexible memory, is it available for games or what?. Because if it's used for the OS, not all the games will be support some OS functions
If it is not used for games, which is it's use (for the flexible tittle)?

FranXico

What is this 1GB of flexible memory, is it available for games or what?. Because if it's used for the OS, not all the games will be support some OS functions
If it is not used for games, which is it's use (for the flexible tittle)?

It probably means that the games can request to allocate memory from the "flexible" pool, but it may or may not be available depending on how much the OS is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom