• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Harp

Like I stated earlier its not that easy.. The OS itself probably doesn't use more than 1GB of that memory, most of the memory reserved is for external Apps. The further down the road they get the harder it is to take away memory from a reserved space, since Developers are counting on that memory for their apps.

What types of apps would even need to run at the sametime as a game? The reserve amount can be changed anytime with a firmware update. The benefit of a closed system is optimization. A app on either the ps4 or Xbone should use no more memory then an app on the IOS or Android.

Even if you wanted to watch a movie on netflix and then switch to a game then comeback to finish the movie should required little to no memory usage. the only data that needs to be saved is what movie your watching and where you left off. Its not like the entire movie needs to held in a buffer.

quest

Not Banned from OT
What strikes me as incredible, and this is the reason I find this so hard to believe, is Sony wasting so much of expensive GDDR5 memory for a single OS.

I can understand Microsoft using 3 GB with 3 OS', Kinect, snap, TV, etc. but this makes no sense whatsoever for PS4.

Basically this. I just woke up and have not read the thread yet. If this is true I will either sell my pre-order or cancel. These machines were way under powered the way it was and to gimp the only good part fuck it. I will just wait until they are 299.99 or less where they should be priced for the specs. I can understand a gig for the Kinect but 3.5 gigs of ram for basic OS is mind boggling.

The start of my weekend was just ruined.

Drek

Was the ESRAM thing confirmed as false?

Just that he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and swallowed a ton of techno-babble hook, line, and sinker. None of the numbers he used made sense relative to known specs, and the techniques he referred to aren't some magic tricks only viable on XB1.

Kind of like this article, where he's clearly using the old KZ slides to make his argument, even though he's claiming his info comes from a "post memory bump SDK".

What you need to assume in order to believe this article are the following things:
1. That Leadbetter actually has a clue this time (dubious).
2. That Jon Blow and company, a self confessed small little team doing very little memory optimization, have somehow already tapped into over half of this "extra" memory pool for The Witness.
3. That Sony is spending ~$40-$50 more per unit for almost nothing but OS memory footprint.
4. That Sony has completely rebuilt their OS within the last few months to go from a 512MB OS to a 3.5GB OS.
5. That Adam Boyes was full of shit when he said they met developer demands for 8GB (this demand confirmed by noted self promoter Randy Pitchford, who likely has seen final SDK docs).

So yeah. We'll see what the actual number is, but the likelihood that Eurogamer of all publications are 100% right is pretty damn slim.

Violater

doraps4.gif

Aww Maaaan!

Mihos

Gold Member
So does this ram effect how games are going to look? I'm curious because people are already talking about cancelling stuff when we don't have any games in hand to compare this to. Or are we making the mistake yet again to cast off consoles as inferior when they actually makes all other games exist and sometimes are better on these platforms?

Nobody is canceling anything, some people post with binary emotions, they are either elated or suicidal with nothing in between.

This is hilarious. 1GB is enough for multitasking, quick resume and sleep, background downloading, cross chat and etc. What more do you want from a OS. I personally would prefer more ram for games, the main reason I bought a system for.

I can see why some people would want more RAM for the OS, but I'm in this camp. I want the console to have as much raw potential for developing games on it as possible, and it isn't like ~1GB of space is insufficient.

Uh it's not about cancelling preorders..It's how most of us thought the os would be only 1gb. This is big news, did you cancel yours?

Yep, just cancelled mine and pre-ordered an XBOX ONE. Not even going to wait until all this speculation is proven either fact or false. At least Microsoft has been honest about their RAM usage.

Crisco

Banned
Could people please stop saying "expensive GDDR5"? GDDR5 is DDR3 with a different interface to the memory controller. The structure of the actual memory chips are exactly the same, the only reason it's more expensive is because there are fewer suppliers of it. With a high volume device like the PS4 shipping with 8GB of it, price should drop rapidly as production ramps up from multiple vendors.

solarus

This is hilarious. 1GB is enough for multitasking, quick resume and sleep, background downloading, cross chat and etc. What more do you want from a OS. I personally would prefer more ram for games, the main reason I bought a system for.
How about you let me have my opinion and keep to yourself? This allows both Microsoft and Sony to future proof their consoles for new features if need be. Your post is hilarious.

How much will Gakai take up? Honest question, I have no idea.

Smokey

smart move by Sony? Are you fucking dumb? Are you even reading this thread?

Try again. Most people think it's just as shitty.

Are you for real?

I'm a bit bored guys, the thread haz come full circle, will check back when the OP updates.

foh realz dawg ?

This is accurate.

Actually it isn't, sorry.

Random posters making shit up - gaf

I have seen about two people think it's a good thing...

Nice job on the selective reading there pal.

It looks like we have wait on the official word from Sony.

What a shit post.

MOAR rage

kevm3

The OS isn't using 3.5GB, the OS has 3.5GB reserved (according to this article). This is presumably to allow memory intensive applications with multitasking (if true). You are having a lot of trouble believing this, but think to yourself "how could Microsoft be using 3GB for OS?" Whether you're dividing your OS into 3 parts or not is basically unimportant here, if they're using this much memory for non-gaming functions, it's not infeasible for Sony to decide they want to match their capabilities in this area by allocating similar quantities of memory.

Multi-tasking isn't a feature you just add in at the last moment. They designed the system, and thus the OS, from the get-go to multitask. If they could multitask with the original OS taking up 512MB to 1 GB of ram, they certainly wouldn't need to triple that at minimum. Using nearly 4 GB of GDDR5 RAM for multitasking is extremely wasteful. The extra 4 was said to be given due to a developer request, so I doubt they would only essentially give developers an extra GB to play with while using an extra 3 GB on OS features they've never outlined. There is nothing the PS4 could be doing that requires 3.5 GB of ram to be reserved. Unlike the One, it doesn't have the Kinect built in and the system wasn't built to be an all around media box.

IN&OUT

Banned
After reading the article, seems like Sony puts a high OS footprint as a saftey net for system main OS operations. It can be reduced later as they did with PS3 once the OS mature enough.

Not bad at all....I can see PS4 using up to 6 gigs for games later in its lifecycle.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Basically this. I just woke up and have not read the thread yet. If this is true I will either sell my pre-order or cancel. These machines were way under powered the way it was and to gimp the only good part fuck it. I will just wait until they are 299.99 or less where they should be priced for the specs. I can understand a gig for the Kinect but 3.5 gigs of ram for basic OS is mind boggling.

The start of my weekend was just ruined.

I almost cringe at these types of reactions when no one understands how these platforms work. Somehow people thing 5.5GB (if true) is not enough for games? More is better but we're also coming off a generation where we had 512 of OS overhead. Vita has 512 plus 128 just for the OS and it's really snappy.

Just that he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and swallowed a ton of techno-babble hook, line, and sinker. None of the numbers he used made sense relative to known specs, and the techniques he referred to aren't some magic tricks only viable on XB1.

Kind of like this article, where he's clearly using the old KZ slides to make his argument, even though he's claiming his info comes from a "post memory bump SDK".

What you need to assume in order to believe this article are the following things:
2. That Jon Blow and company, a self confessed small little team doing very little memory optimization, have somehow already tapped into over half of this "extra" memory pool for The Witness.
3. That Sony is spending ~$40-$50 more per unit for almost nothing but OS memory footprint.
4. That Sony has completely rebuilt their OS within the last few months to go from a 512MB OS to a 3.5GB OS.
5. That Adam Boyes was full of shit when he said they met developer demands for 8GB (this demand confirmed by noted self promoter Randy Pitchford, who likely has seen final SDK docs).

So yeah. We'll see what the actual number is, but the likelihood that Eurogamer of all publications are 100% right is pretty damn slim.

Yeah, good summary.

Kinyou

This wouldn't surprise me. The OS seems to have the same features at the one from the xb1 (instant switch between games, console in sleep mode etc.) and I guess that just costs a lot of memory.

However do I also remember some interview with cerny where he said something around the line that it's just 1 GB, so I remain cautious.

Zoator

Thread is hilarious :

X1 reserves 3gb - LOL gg MS!
PS4 reserves 3gb - smart move by Sony

gaf

To be fair, I've been saying it would probably be the case and is a smart move for both MS and Sony for months. So my stance is not in reaction to this confirmation.

This sums up things perfectly

Yjynx

The article clearly states that "up to 5.5 GB" can be used for games under certain conditions, how does a game using 5GB contradict that?

Sony's internal docs say that 4.5GB is the baseline amount of guaranteed memory available for game-makers (note the memory usage of the Killzone: Shadow Fall demo) and most likely what the lion's share of launch titles will be using. However, other sources close to Sony indicate that developers can request up to an additional gigabyte of "flexible memory", and use it to boost elements of the game - but only if the background OS can spare it. We're told that incorporating this isn't trivial, and it may well be that to begin with only first-party developers target its usage.

something just doesn't add up with eurogamer lately.

Edit:

eurogamer site is down?

KAL2006

Banned
How about you let me have my opinion and keep to yourself? This allows both Microsoft and Sony to future proof their consoles for new features if need be. Your post is hilarious.

I'll ask you a simple question. After multitasking, quick resume, sleep, background downloading and installing, recording, cross game chat, notifications and etc. What more would you want out of an OS.

BigDug13

Use a fucking page file with your SATA 2 HDD or something. 3.5 GB GDDR5 for a non-windows OS to do what exactly? Fuck 15 minutes of recording time if this is what it means. I'd rather them gut the entire game video sharing feature than do this.

NBtoaster

The concerning thing is that getting the flexible RAM is "isn't trivial". That may be what complicates ports between X1 and PS4.

I looked for a cartoon gif where the cartoon character is taking things and placing them in a pile behind them, all the while another character is stealing them as they are placed. I couldn't fit it though, so just pretend I posted that gif.

Top Bottom