• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

syko de4d

so this is based on Killzone, which was developed for 4GB in mind?

Sounds stupid, how much ram does dev had before the jump from 4 to 8gb? Only 1.5gb or what? xD
And why should they waste 3-4gb of GDDR5 Ram for the OS? Why the hell should a OS needs a that fast RAM, would be 4gb GDDR5 + 4GB DDR3 not cheaper if this is true?

Minigo

If this is true, Cerny adding another 4GB wasn't a nice gesture, it was a necessity.
However, many devs didn't know of the 8GB till the announcement back in February so were they coding their games with 512MB of ram?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh, they really are using the KZ slides for this.

That is............short sighted to say the least.

No, they say 'look at the KZ slides to see what we mean'. It's still bullshit, though, because we know that KZ's developers hadn't adjusted to the RAM upgrade.

Forsete

If this is true, Cerny adding another 4GB wasn't a nice gesture, it was a necessity.
However, many devs didn't know of the 8GB till the announcement back in February so were they coding their games with 512MB of ram?

Yeah, 512MB was the avalible RAM before the "upgrade". Redonculous! :p

Samyy

:lol seems like it!
;)

Wait both consoles have unified memory?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That was the big hoopla yesterday? Wow. I'd say this is good considering Sony has flexibility and can reduce the OS footprint down the line.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The sad part is that some will take this as bad news when it's not.

No, they say 'look at the KZ slides to see what we mean'. It's still bullshit, though, because we know that KZ's developers hadn't adjusted to the RAM upgrade.

That's why I'm pessimistic :p

Krakn3Dfx

The-End-of-Everything-End-of-the-world-460x250.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So they add 4GB of RAM to the hardware, just to sequester 3GB away from devs, for an OS they were originally only planning to use 1/2 GB of RAM for, just 4-6 months ago? Yeah, that seems fishy. I could see OS inflating to 1-2 GB, tops. If they really need more than that for OS, sounds like a mess.

Still a lot of ram in both the consoles. There were people last year that were convinced the consoles wouldn't have more than 4 gigs total lol and the year before 2 gigs seemed impossible for consoles.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell does an OS use 3GB?

I'm at a loss too. You run Windows 8 and multitask with 3GB RAM in a PC. I don't understand why a console OS possibly needs more than 1GB, even that seems like a ridiculous amount to me.

Then again I guess I'm the sort of old fart who doesn't want multitasking nonsense on a console. I want to put my game in, press power, and let it start. Even if you can do disc-autostart that's still 3.5GB of wasted RAM, as far as I'm concerned.

Coxy

not trusting anything from eurogamer since they refused the correct their story about the 7 minutes recording time

any other sources for this?

Takuya

Banned
The sad part is that some will take this as bad news when it's not.

And again, they are citing the KZ slides for that. Not sure if one can take it absolute being it's coming from a source that's not Sony.

According to DF: Before the upgrade PS4 had 0.5GB of RAM for games! lol

androvsky

This is a big deal if true (with extra emphasis on the if true part). Developers asked for 8 GB, Sony was going to have 4 GB, presumably with 3.5 GB available. Developers were pissed. So Sony puts 8 GB in the system so that devs can access 4.5 GB?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The PS4 OS doesn't look like something that would require 3GB, or maybe Sony will be announcing more features at Gamescom? Either way, this is huge news.

Digital Foundry has been acting like Microsoft's specialized FUD division lately and have made several patently false claims about the PS4. I would not take their word for anything.

PSGames

For some reason I doubt this news. This just gave legitimacy to Microsofts multi-tasking plans. I would bet Sony doesn't even have anything designed to use that much RAM for the OS. Just blindly copying Microsoft in the hopes that they can match their features in the future doesn't seem like a good idea.

Not surprised. It's in line with the Xbone's 3-ish gigs reserved for OS that we've heard (or heard rumors?) about

I remember quite a few people harping on MS for using so much of the RAM towards the OS and now according to this both are. Seems strange.

sneaky77

all the sharing and streaming stuff is pointless if it's bloating things like that, i rather have more ram for developers.

edit: weren't they waiting for Sony to comment?

Raymo

What is their source?? What internal documents? The only source I see is the killzone technical presentation from february demo.

LCfiner

Are you kidding me? Ps3 had 512 and is still pushing out amazing games.

EVen ifs only 5 gb its still a lot of ram.

I cant tell if this is sarcasm. Please don't compare the PS4 to the old-as-shit PS3. Times change. We should always expect more.

I always want bigger and more complex game worlds. hardware that reserves nearly half available RAM for who-knows-what instead of the actual game seems like a misguided waste.

Tagg9

So where is Sony's "comment" on this subject? They didn't wait for it after all?

I was just about to mention this.

It's certainly possible that the OS takes up 3.5GB but it seems incredibly unlikely. I suppose it depends on the implementation of the 15 minute recording feature?

Oh and btw, I'm calling BS on this, if the OS was using 3.5GB of memory, then technically before the "upgrade" to 8GB, then developers only had 0.5GB to use?

Yea, ok.

The problem is you were buying into the hype of the PS4 conference and actually thought they had most of that functionality working. It was obvious they had a lot of ideas, a few things working, and were still actively making design/technical decisions

For some reason I doubt this news. This just gave legitimacy to Microsofts multi-tasking plans. I would bet Sony doesn't even have anything designed to use that much RAM for the OS. Just blindly copying Microsoft in the hopes that they can match their features in the future doesn't seem like a good idea.

I remember quite a few people harping on MS for using so much of the RAM towards the OS.And now both are.

Yeah I know. It was the same when people constantly made fun of Xbone for having paid online then when Sony announced the same for PS4 people made excuses to justify it

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I guess this is why once upon a time there were 4 GBs of slower memory. They didn't need the fast stuff for the OS.

That said, they could still open more of it up later as they make the OS more effecient.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Minutes before the article was published...

You know what would be funny? If after this premature celebration something negative ends up being revealed. I can only imagine the reactions... Like the dark souls of threads.
TM5b3GD.png

Top Bottom