• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

fritolay

The One is running three OSs compared to Sony's one and it is STILL using less resources than the PS4 is full hog if these rumors are true, and that's pathetic. If we're talking about future proofing, PS4 is a games console and Sony went on and on about the lean mean gaming machine... so how about future proofing GAMES and freeing up more resources for them instead of creating this titanic operating system. Otherwise, throw in DVR functionality so we can at least get feature parity with the One.

This basically summarizes my thoughts. It's all ABOUT THE GAMES, then this crap WTF

The One is running three OSs compared to Sony's one and it is STILL using less resources than the PS4 is full hog if these rumors are true, and that's pathetic. If we're talking about future proofing, PS4 is a games console and Sony went on and on about the lean mean gaming machine... so how about future proofing GAMES and freeing up more resources for them instead of creating this titanic operating system. Otherwise, throw in DVR functionality so we can at least get feature parity with the One.

Really? Listen to what you are saying here. The Xbox has 3 OS, with 1.5 dedicated to gaming. The other OS are not, and are there for other non gaming purposes. Sony isnt HOGGING an OS by having more on it. They are *unofficially speaking because we don't have confirmation* holding space back for unannounced clarified reasons. Yes, we know what MS is doing with those 3 OS because they've announced them and addressed some of what it can do.

This is a rumor that has not been confirmed but being assumed. It has not been explained by Sony yet and it certainly hasn't been addressed for us to know what it's being used for. My biggest speculation is there is more that has not been announced. After E3, they did say there are more features to the PS4 than was annouced at E3 and will be spread out in the next few month. Holding back a few resources to make a full fledged gaming device isn't a bad thing. What's even more surprising is people see this as a bad thing without taking the time to think of what other gaming features a console would have that will ultimately need this much space reserved back? What if it can not only do what the X1 can do but something more useful for gaming in general?

Also DVR function..wtf..the PS4 already has that..Why are we still bringing that up.

rjinaz

That's why CBOAT should keep his leaks to himself. Stuff like "MS is paying for not mentioning other versions" turned out to be flat out wrong. No point in doing those confirmations when you're wildly off the mark way too often.

I for one enjoy their insider posts, even if they are wrong on occasion (though they seem to be mostly right). Maybe just not read their posts if they bother you? I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates the information they give us. Why ruin it for the rest of us by discouraging people that come forward with information just because you do not like to share?

le.phat

Well look at Sony's history with what they say about their consoles. They will be used for missile guidance systems, 8 usb ports, you will want 2 jobs, they usually deliver more on hype than reality. Besides the PS3 was supposed to be much more powerful than the 360 so I think right now just having faster ram means nothing.

It's not just faster ram though, soooo want another jab at this?

Quasar

Essentially insiders say
4.5 guaranteed
1.5 os now
1 bookmarked for things they may need to add to os (in reaction to features in xbone which become popular for eg party chat for ps3)
1 is flexible available to dev but it's heap memory not stack as of now.

They could free up the 1 back from os in the future and streamline the rest accordingly . Basically Sony is playing it safe . Also devs seem that some of these comments and discussions are way overblown and are happy with the ram available .

Bottom line 5.5 at launch or so. More later but that could take time

And its not that far fromwhat I expected. I expected 2 set aside for the system, and 6 for games. That whole extra 1 flexible thats heap and notstack is what I dont understand.

That makes me wonder, does anyone think that we will see 4K video streaming (a la Netflix) on our new consoles in the next few years? That would be pretty cool.

That's the stuff we don't know. What if in the future, 4K does become the standard and people can finally afford a 4K TV, why would you not want your console to fit your screen resolution regarding the OS? PS3 games run 720p but the homescreen can do 1080p. If I have a 4K tv, you bet my shit better be able to scale to 4K. I don't want widescreen lol! Maybe the PS4 can secretly do 4K upscaling or whatever that term is? Probably not but its something to think about

tafer

If this rumors are true... just wow. 3.5GB for the OS alone sounds crazy. Hell, even anything above 2GB sounds like too much for a specialized OS.

Oh well, time to wait.

zeopower6

I for one enjoy their insider posts, even if they are wrong on occasion (though they seem to be mostly right). Maybe just not read their posts if they bother you? I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates the information they give us. Why ruin it for the rest of us by discouraging people that come forward with information just because you do not like to share?

Seriously. I don't get it... with the way he's talking, it sounds like he's just sort of jealous that people are paying attention to these people who are leaking the information. There's no meaning in simply waiting until it's actually official and saying "By the way, I knew about this" after the fact. The intrigue is in knowing those few days or weeks beforehand.

Aspiring

Man this thing has blown up. Due to time differences and work I missed this, but reading up they have 5.5GB instead of 8. What's the deal? If anything I'm happy because right now I use my 360 as my all in one device, and was worried that Sony would not match them with all their services with the Xbox One. Now if this is true I can rest easy. It's a good thing. Or is there something in missing?

Quasar

If this rumors are true... just wow. 3.5GB for the OS alone sounds crazy. Hell, even anything above 2GB sounds like too much for a specialized OS.

Oh well, time to wait.

Maybe this will allow multitasking of apps and games. I assume apps would be run from within the non games portion of ram.

Chobel

Well look at Sony's history with what they say about their consoles. They will be used for missile guidance systems, 8 usb ports, you will want 2 jobs, they usually deliver more on hype than reality. Besides the PS3 was supposed to be much more powerful than the 360 so I think right now just having faster ram means nothing.

It means everything, the PS3 and X360 have different architecture with PS3 architecture being so complex, now PS4 and X1 have very similar architecture so faster ram mean PS4 has advantage over X1.

Saberus

Man this thing has blown up. Due to time differences and work I missed this, but reading up they have 5.5GB instead of 8. What's the deal? If anything I'm happy because right now I use my 360 as my all in one device, and was worried that Sony would not match them with all their services with the Xbox One. Now if this is true I can rest easy. It's a good thing. Or is there something in missing?

Guess it will depend if your a glass half empty or half full person.

Just missing pages upon pages of pants wetting.

I2amza

Just correcting you that X-One is not running 3 OSes. A Hypervisor is not an OS.

Hypervisor

The X-One is running a 2 Virtual Machines with an OS each. One runs the games, and the other OS runs all the other stuff.

Can't decide who's approach was better to letting me down as a consumer. Microsoft ripping the bandaid off all at once with their policies or Sony slowly sticking the blade in my back. This just persuades me to not keep any preorders because obviously both companies are playing cat and mouse with each other and consumers.

Krakn3Dfx

Took a 4 hour nap. Someone update me plz.

Sony has 8GB of RAM, but 1-2GB of that is locked up. Once Sony pays Tom Nook enough shells, he'll unlock the first gig. After that, the price for the 2nd gig doubles, so Sony will be forced to play the turnip market to fully exploit the system.

Peeete

Because Sony, like Microsoft, realise these cant just be games consoles maybe?
They haven't been just game consoles for the current generation already and they managed to do so with less than 100 MB.

How many apps can there be for consoles anyway that need to actively run in the background at all times to use up 3.5 gigs of ram? The ones that make sense to run are the chat app & maybe the Internet browser.

Every other app I can think of that would be on a console like YouTube, Netflix, maybe some photo/video editors, maps, video/music players,... don't need to run all the time, we don't need to instaswitch to them. They also don't need to be used while playing a game.

What are ram intensive apps and programs anyway? Aren't those more like programs you use to work such as office programs, photo/video editors, stuff like that?

It seems like MSFT might really give access to all those stuff via Windows 8 so for them it makes kind of sense to have so much ram dedicated. But Sony seemed to go in an all gaming direction this time with support of the usual apps besides. They only got support, so why would they see a reason to follow MSFT's attempt after so much negativity on the Internet?

Aspiring

Just missing pages upon pages of pants wetting.

Oh ok thanks!

I just don't understand why though. I mean really its a good thing. Sure if you just play games it may suck, but for those who will do much more its a good thing. This news to me, if true, is great. Makes my purchase over an Xbox One that little bit more secure. People really need to settle and see what there official statement is.

But the Xbone doesn't function as a TV DVR.

Tbh, if it was a full flegde DVR, I probably would definitely buy it. Unlike some, I'm into TV so the TV functions for the Xbox is cool, my electric bill on the other hand, don't got time for an X1 to be on all day for some TV functions, especially if the wattage is more than my small HD box. I'm chill with paying $25 a month lol I don't need it to go any higher. I got all the systems right now and though they are all plugged in, when my TV goes out, they all go out. The Xbox would have to stay on all day just for everything to work...no thank you.

Can't decide who's approach was better to letting me down as a consumer? Microsoft ripping the bandaid off all at once with their policies or Sony slowly sticking the blade in my back? This just persuades me to not keep any preorders because obviously both companies are playing cat and mouse with each other and consumers.
Sorry, which blade? I didn't get the part where Sony fucked up. Seems to me the RAM is all still there, some being saved for a later date, and every last dev is excited by the power of the console. Same as yesterday.

Did they replace the GPU with a hamster wheel or something?

thuway

This is amazing. Let's ignore the huge amount of work Cerny, first party, and key developers have put into designing the PS4 because: get this! -

There is a belief that it's a much better idea to have zero OS reserve and hand over any emergency RAM available at launch to gameOS. Developer's have yet to complain about not having enough memory, and some are even calling it overkill, but hey GAF wants it.

Ishan

And its not that far fromwhat I expected. I expected 2 set aside for the system, and 6 for games. That whole extra 1 flexible thats heap and notstack is what I dont understand.

So on that the insiders were all vague but some member quoted some Japanese forum and translated it to say that . For heap vs stack memory you can google the difference ... Short story from what I read is heap memory has to be manually accessed (Malloc etc) but its global and slower whereas stack is automated and local and faster .... Which is somewhat counter intuitive to me cause automatic memory access should be slower eg java vs pointer access in c++ but maybe it's just different terminology for memory and programming languages .

Gaf insiders said devs were vague on it saying devs were basically saying you could free up that memory from dev tools. You should look for the shinobi post . The post which referenced the Japanese forum claim which mentioned heap and stack it's basically somewhere in this huge thread .

KoopaTheCasual

Can't decide who's approach was better to letting me down as a consumer. Microsoft ripping the bandaid off all at once with their policies or Sony slowly sticking the blade in my back. This just persuades me to not keep any preorders because obviously both companies are playing cat and mouse with each other and consumers.

Hyperbole: The thread.

Sony has 8GB of RAM, but 1-2GB of that is locked up. Once Sony pays Tom Nook enough shells, he'll unlock the first gig. After that, the price for the 2nd gig doubles, so Sony will be forced to play the turnip market to fully exploit the system.

Oh wow so there must be a lot of tension in this thread.

ironchair

Banned
I lol'd and I don't even play animal crossing.

If these rumors are true, would it weaken the amount of time that the PS4 would be on par with good PC graphics/performance? The way I understand it the greatest advantage going for it was the unified memory which at 7GB GDDR5 (after OS) was greater than any PC gpu's vram currently available. That along with optimization to the exact gpu specs would have made the PS4 very capable against PC's for a good couple years.

ReaperXL7

Gaf scares me sometimes, this is allot of back and forth with pretty much nothing to go on other than whispers from shadows at this point. All I know is that if Devs are happy, the games are good, the OS is snappy, and the Online is solid im pretty happy. I have not seen any developer say anything negative about their experience with PS4 yet, its been the exact opposite really, so I dont understand what the problem is..

Takuya

Banned

The XBone's 5GB of available slower RAM is more than the 5.5GB available around launch for PS4? With another possible gig being released later on?

i-Lo

One thing pertaining to that "flexible" RAM is that sounds awfully like a shrinking and enlarging OS functionality. So if I am not mistaken the aim is that while not gaming, the OS consumes 3.5GB and on the flip side consumes one GB less while in gaming mode.

Or am I mistaken in that assumption?

I get where you're coming from. I just feel like until we hear devs squealing about the RAM situation, it just isn't that big a deal.

I know, I just feel like raging.

you guys are embarrassing yourselves

zeopower6

Gaf scares me sometimes, this is allot of back and forth with pretty much nothing to go on other than whispers from shadows at this point. All I know is that if Devs are happy, the gamss are good, the OS is snappy, and the Online is solid im pretty happy. I have not seen any developer say anything negative about their experience with PS4 yet, its been the exact opposite really, so I dont understand what the problem is..

I guess the people who are mad are the ones who had been running around spreading that there was going to be 7GB dedicated to games when that wasn't even officially stated to begin with.

Other than those people, no one else should really be frustrated with this.

Krakn3Dfx

Here's a question for developers:

Is it possible that Sony has blocked off a certain amount of RAM from developers for now because having them under utilize a large amount of memory might in fact be detrimental to game performance? I'm just wondering if for launch window and 2014 games that will only really use 2-3GB realistically would having a large amount of GDDR5 being accessed but not used might actually hinder overall performance.

Just speculating, I don't know anything about programming, but wondering if that be something they're looking at as a reason for the 1GB of "flexible" RAM.

DedValve

Banned
Looks like I'm cancelling my pre-order. I wanted a game console that plays games not some stupid dvr bull.

he says while playing wiiU ;(

Top Bottom