• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From 2018, all Formula 1 cars will look like this...

tomtom94

Interesting, Formula 1 is going with the halo and IndyCar is going with a shield-like aeroscreen.

It's worth noting two separate designs in the vein of IndyCar were tried but one of them failed a crash test and the most recent one caused dizziness in its only test.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Important bit of context missing: the Shield test got called off early because it was impairing Vettel's vision. Hence, this announcement suddenly being made.

How do LMP1 drivers manage? They have very shallow windshields. Was the f1 test super thick or something to provide impact protection?

I find the whole thing a bit odd. Jules Bianchi was killed by badly positioned safety equipment. I don’t know if this would have helped. And there is no guarantee this would have prevented the debris hitting Massa

John Dunbar

correct about everything
they should change the rules to make more than two teams competitive every season. don't know why the rest even bother.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
they should change the rules to make more than two teams competitive every season. don't know why the rest even bother.

The only way this would be possible is to mandate spec parts or institute a budget cap. At that point, you might as well watch IndyCar.

Falchion

I'll always support big safety improvements but man, it looks bad and that has got to affect driver visibility a ton.

"From 2018, all Formula 1 cars will look like this"

Not really a fair representation, as that's the 2016 Ferrari, which was incredibly ugly in the first place. The proportions of the cars are much better now - the wider tyres and lower, wider rear wing make a big difference. Presumably the embarrassing coat hangers and tail fins will be gone next year too, and the halo will be more seamlessly integrated into the designs and liveries.

No doubt it will still look weird, but not anywhere near as bad as the photos in that article.

kharma45

Disappointing move. Horrendousou ugly. Fans will hate it. Drivers will hate it. It won't see the end of next season.

amar212

The only way this would be possible is to mandate spec parts or institute a budget cap. At that point, you might as well watch IndyCar.

Nope. Greatest single move for the F1 ever would be to separate drivers and teams.

And that team (car) for the next race is being randomly drawn from the glass bowl after every GP winners ceremony. With last position driver drawing first and so forth.

So, you never know which driver will drive which car every race weekend.

And teams have to adjust. Also, naturally, the bugets would be modified accordingly.

And talented drivers would perish over sponsor-mules.

Will never happen though.

kharma45

Nope. Greatest single move for the F1 ever would be to separate drivers and teams.

And that team (car) for the next race is being randomly drawn from the glass bowl after every GP winners ceremony. With last position driver drawing first and so forth.

So, you never know which driver will drive which car every race weekend.

And teams have to adjust. Also, naturally, the bugets would be modified accordingly.

And talented drivers would perish over sponsor-mules.

Will never happen though.

It's no longer F1 then. It's as much about the team as the driver.

The focus was all on the driver with A1 GP and no one gave a fuck about it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Closed cockpits require a bit more brainstorming to make them work. Remember LMP cars have doors. And a flip-top probably has some other problems to fix (like being upside-down). In due time.

Shield/screen needs a bit more tweaking and reinforcing.

The Halo is just something that they can implement as soon as possible rather than wait.

It's not just something the FIA lays down as law. Relevant parties (including the teams) had a vote and rejected the Halo for 2017, but now have approved it for 2018. Presumably they've come to an agreement on necessary changes to the system. Will be interesting to read the reactions tomorrow from FIA, teams, drivers (and the GPDA), etc.

IndyCar sucks because it's North American-centric, doesn't have the best drivers, and has stupid-ass looking cars because they have to run on road tracks and ovals.

It's no longer F1 then. It's as much about the team as the driver.

The focus was all on the driver with A1 GP and no one gave a fuck about it.
But the A1 GP (and Superleague Formula) drivers were all clearly second rate.

Chris R

IndyCar sucks because it's North American-centric, doesn't have the best drivers, and has stupid-ass looking cars because they have to run on road tracks and ovals.

I'm sorry, but Indycar does not suck. Sure I'd prefer if they only ran one or two ovals, but the race in Toronto was miles better than the British GP

Bo-Locks

I don't get why this has been rushed through. Why not wait and design something functional and aesthetic rather than dump this pos on the sport? This wouldn't even have stopped the only fatality in F1 in the last 20 years, surely a few more months to design something better isn't going to risk lives.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Point 1: In what context are you using the geography in?

Point 2: This is debatable. Personally I believe no series can ever claim they have the "best" drivers if there exists a team that takes money from a driver.

Point 3: Yes, the cars are ugly, but that is changing next year.

Regardless, these three points don't really address the actual racing in IndyCar which doesn't suck at all.

I don't mind the concept of this, but it's so weird that it has a strut in the middle right in front of the driver.

They genuinely couldn't put that somewhere else?

This is a very strange development. It's so ugly because they try to find a middle ground between open cockpit F1 purism and safety. But even as an F1 purist myself i would much prefer LMP1 style closed cockpits over this abomination.

Rixxan

The golden era of this sport ended long ago

For the last decade it's been regulation after regulation

I respect the need for driver safety, but maybe it's time to kill this thing

The excitement is nothing like it used to be

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is going to cause accidents.

rainz

Im all for driver safety if this works and they want it..
I just hope you can turn the "halo" off or transparent from that view in F1 2017...

Trouble

Banned
F1 cars are not fitted with ejection seats.

But what if they were?

YLBRXsk.png

There has GOT to be a better solution than putting that support smack dab in the center of the pilot's FOV. How about two on the sides instead of one in the goddamn middle?

Point 1: In what context are you using the geography in?
What do you mean? I mentioned IndyCar is North American-centric because, relative to F1, it's concentrated in North America. All of the races are currently in North America. Half of the regular drivers are from North America. All of the teams are North American (except for a one-off partnership with McLaren & Andretti.) I suspect it's fanbase and viewership is strongly North American. In contrast, F1 is completely global (with a strong European bias.)

It's fine to be North American centric, just know that a series with a global footprint is going to have more money, attention, and prestige.

Point 2: This is debatable. Personally I believe no series can ever claim they have the "best" drivers if there exists a team that takes money from a driver.
Of course, this is debatable, especially considering the sheer variety of racing disciplines, but a) I don't think the existence of some pay-to-drive drivers negates the excellence at the top of the field, and b) most IndyCar drivers would kill for an F1 seat (including Rossi,) the reverse isn't true.

Point 3: Yes, the cars are ugly, but that is changing next year.
It looks good in renders, I'll give you that.

Regardless, these three points don't really address the actual racing in IndyCar which doesn't suck at all.
The actual racing is immaterial to my comment. Like I said, lots of series have great racing. But until you get the best drivers on a global stage, a series isn't going to win the prestige and reputation of F1 and "suck" in comparison.

Mohonky

Is it viable to drive the cars wirelessly/remotely?

I don't see why death and major injury have to be part of the equation at all anymore

No, drivers drive by feel as much they drive by vision.

Those of you saying closed cockpit obviously donr understand single seater formula. A driver has to be able to exit the car quickly in emergency. If the car is upside and on fire, they cant open the cockpit and they dont have doors.

Its not like they came up with this over night, they've been testing it for years looking for the best solution.

The halo to ensure there is a structure higher than the point of the drivers head in front of them so that if something hits at that particular level, the design of the halo causes it to slide over their head rather rather than straight into it.

Mashing

Would a closed cockpit basically roast the driver alive? I can't imagine there's any cooling in those things (fuel tradeoff not worth it).... maybe the seats themselves are cooled, or vent as there's going to be hell a lot of wind at those speeds.

Mohonky

Would a closed cockpit basically roast the driver alive? I can't imagine there's any cooling in those things (fuel tradeoff not worth it).... maybe the seats themselves are cooled, or vent as there's going to be hell a lot of wind at those speeds.
Theres no cooling.

Top Bottom