• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From 2018, all Formula 1 cars will look like this...

Ri'Orius

From an outsiders' perspective, I find it kind of funny that people are complaining about aesthetics of the halo thing considering how ridiculous the car already looks without it. Fins pointing every which-way, giant cartoony tires, and is that one of those spinning yaht antennas on top of it?

Show that image to anyone who's unfamiliar with what the car looks like and ask them "which part makes this car look silliest?" and I'll bet few of them would pick the halo.

Autosport said:
Sources say nine of the 10 teams voted against the halo, but the FIA said it would become part of the regulations for 2018 on safety grounds.
Oh fuck sake. This defeats the entire purpose of the teams' strategy group if their actual opinion doesn't matter. Technical regulations have to be passed unanimously! Well, at least the cars looked nice this year. I know Ferrari has a veto, but that might not be valid for safety things. They have the world's amazing power units in the back that are effectively engineering voodoo, but they couldn't come up with anything better above the driver.
Show that image to anyone who's unfamiliar with what the car looks like and ask them "which part makes this car look silliest?" and I'll bet few of them would pick the halo.
This isn't a bad question! Can you think of any other vehicle in any form where the driver stares out with a blockage directly between their eyes? No. All the other goofy bits of the car are all designed to improve performance in some way, too, where this does... not. It's not even attractive in any sort of sleek way or something that blends in with the body. It's irredeemably ugly. One reason the semi-cockpit looked better was because, well, it looked a whole lot more natural, like a fighter jet canopy.
Would a closed cockpit basically roast the driver alive?
Even if air conditioning were legal, no one would put it on the car because it would add weight. You know, it might be legal! I have no idea. There are other things that the cars don't have that you think they should (like an onboard starter) but are removed because it would change the design of the car. In terms of climate safety for the drivers, they already roast alive in the helmets and lose heaps of water weight during the races. For events that are a 2hr max it's fine.

Bry0

Would a closed cockpit basically roast the driver alive? I can't imagine there's any cooling in those things (fuel tradeoff not worth it).... maybe the seats themselves are cooled, or vent as there's going to be hell a lot of wind at those speeds.

NASCAR actually already solved this issue. The cars have a sort of ventilation system that keeps air flowing in their helmets and onto their body. It's still hot but it's not stale inside the car..

F1 2022 be like:

AsEdKpF.gif

Mohonky

F1 2022 be like:

AsEdKpF.gif

NASCAR actually already solved this issue. The cars have a sort of ventilation system that keeps air flowing in their helmets and onto their body. It's still hot but it's not stale inside the car..

Noone would do anything like this due to the aero disruption required.

I laugh when a team does something and the other teams say its illegal and the team come s back with 'it doesnt actually do anything for performance.'

Therr is not a single fin, hole, screw or nut on these cars that isnt the way it is or placed where it is for a reason.

Mohonky

Why not just skip to an enclosed cockpit?

Its been covered....

The driver has to be able to get out by themselves in under a certain amount of time. If the driver is unconscious, the marshals need to be able to get to the driver and remove them under a certain time.

This includes whatever position the car is in, hard up on its side against a barrier, upside down etc and potentially on fire.

A fully closed cockpit would kill more drivers than it would save.

Par Score

I hate the Halo, but it's the best solution some of the smartest designers on the world could come up with, so I guess we're stuck with it until they figure out something better.

There has GOT to be a better solution than putting that support smack dab in the center of the pilot's FOV. How about two on the sides instead of one in the goddamn middle?

Having a single support in the "middle" of their view is far less disruprive than one either side. This was tested.

How much time do you think an F1 driver spends looking straight forward? They spend a lot more time focussing on the next apex, their own car, or the cars around them.

This thing has been designed and tested by actual F1 teams and drivers, so I dunno, maybe they know what they're doing, maybe?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, sponsors will be happy with additional advertising space

And Lewis could pimp his Halo with some nice hashtags

eot

Banned
Ugly vs saving people's lives,

decisions decisions.

On the other hand something like 3 people die on average in the isle of man TT every year and yet people keep doing that shit.

Meadows

Banned
As someone who started watching F1 last year, it's kind of a beautiful mess. There's all these crazy regulations and the fact that some teams just outspend the others 20x, but even with all of that, it's still exciting.

Somehow all of the weird stuff just makes it more interesting, but then I don't know if it was like way better 20 years ago when the disparity between teams wasn't as big.

xrnzaaas

I feel like someone out there at FIA is trying to push this forward at all cost even though none of the halo prototypes already built (including the last one tested in Silverstone by Vettel) was perfect. Could it be that the FIA tries to protect themselves because of the ongoing Bianchi court cases?

My opinion on the subject will always be the same - either leave it as it is or go ahead with fully closed cockpits.

Meadows

Banned
I feel like someone out there at FIA is trying to push this forward at all cost even though none of the halo prototypes already built (including the last one tested in Silverstone by Vettel) was perfect. Could it be that the FIA tries to protect themselves because of the ongoing Bianchi court cases?

It's weird because this wouldn't have saved Bianchi. Almost nothing would. Fact is that he was going too fast, it was wet and his brakes didn't work correctly - thus sending him flying into a crane. No protection would have saved him.

xrnzaaas

It's weird because this wouldn't have saved Bianchi. Almost nothing would. Fact is that he was going too fast, it was wet and his brakes didn't work correctly - thus sending him flying into a crane. No protection would have saved him.

Yeah I know that, it's just that they may try to use this new halo rule as a way to show in front of the court that they're doing something or to reach a better settlement (assuming they don't want the court case to get ugly even when they know that the Bianchi family wouldn't win).

Par Score

This thread isn't about that incident, but the crane not being there under racing conditions would have saved him. There is no way service vehicles should be in potentially dangerous areas without at least a Safety Car deployed.

What happened with Bianchi was a horrendous fuck up on many levels, and I'll be happy on the day when the FIA and all involved are made to cough up huge sums in damages for it.

Meadows

Banned
This thread isn't about that incident, but the crane not being there under racing conditions would have saved him. There is no way service vehicles should be in potentially dangerous areas without at least a Safety Car deployed.

What happened with Bianchi was a horrendous fuck up on many levels, and I'll be happy on the day when the FIA and all involved are made to cough up huge sums in damages for it.

Sorry, I mean there's nothing his car could have done to stop the accident, not the placement of the service vehicle

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
As someone who started watching F1 last year, it's kind of a beautiful mess. There's all these crazy regulations and the fact that some teams just outspend the others 20x, but even with all of that, it's still exciting.

Somehow all of the weird stuff just makes it more interesting, but then I don't know if it was like way better 20 years ago when the disparity between teams wasn't as big.

I don't want to give you shit here, but as someone who's been watching f1 since the early 90's, the bolded isn't true in any way. If you meant in terms of budget, there was a bigger disparity between the top and the bottom of the field. Likewise in terms of performance.

And if you want to extend that range to 23+ years, you had teams back then using cars that were years old even though they weren't even close to being competitive when they were new. There were too many teams back then, so it wasn't unusual for a few teams to fail to pre qualify. In other words, they were out of the race weekend before qualifying had even begun.

Unfortunately, the best online resource (f1 rejects) for this era has now been taken down.

Meadows

Banned
I don't want to give you shit here, but as someone who's been watching f1 since the early 90's, the bolded isn't true in any way. If you meant in terms of budget, there was a bigger disparity between the top and the bottom of the field. Likewise in terms of performance.

And if you want to extend that range to 23+ years, you had teams back then using cars that were years old even though they weren't even close to being competitive when they were new. There were too many teams back then, so it wasn't unusual for a few teams to fail to pre qualify. In other words, they were out of the race weekend before qualifying had even begun.

Unfortunately, the best online resource (f1 rejects) for this era has now been taken down.

damn that's interesting, I'll do some more research

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this is the best they can come up with? it looks ugly but i guess that's not really what matters. it's there to keep them safe. i don't believe this is the best they can design.

Par Score

damn that's interesting, I'll do some more research

For a sort of fair comparison, look back through the results of the Spanish GP for the last 25 years.

Circuit de Catalunya hasn't changed too much in that time, and it's got a reputation as being a fairly representative circuit, used for testing and whatnot.

The golden age of fairness and equality in F1 doesn't exist.

Doikor

My opinion on the subject will always be the same - either leave it as it is or go ahead with fully closed cockpits.

FIA already decided early this year that there would be some kind of a head protection device for 2018 season. Halo is the only one that has passed the crash tests not leaving them much choice. What if they would now scrap the plan and something would happen in 2018 that could have possibly have been prevented by the halo. Who would take the blame then? (hint: its FIA not the teams, F1 organizers or fans who are the ones complaining about the looks)

And all the shields that have been tested have had the drivers say they have fuck all vision due to reflections, scratches and dirt getting on it. I don't see any of those shields happening. A full cockpit maybe but not for 2018 season so we get the halo.

Fox Mulder

Ugly vs saving people's lives,

decisions decisions.

On the other hand something like 3 people die on average in the isle of man TT every year and yet people keep doing that shit.

F1 has only had a death in decades after a driver slid into a tractor during rain, and this wouldn't have saved him.

Drivers and teams didn't want this, but the FIA forced some half ass shit on them anyways.

Top Bottom