• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From now on Nvidia promo games will be tied to GPU model

dex3108

Q: Are there additional requirements for me to redeem my coupon?

Graphics Card Requirements- Some coupons can only be redeemed on selected graphics card. These coupons are typically tied to a graphics card purchase or promotional giveaway. Please make sure your graphics card is installed before redemption.

Q: Why must game bundle code redemptions be completed with a qualifying graphics card, desktop or laptop?
Game coupon codes offered as part of a qualifying GPU or PC purchase are intended for use by the purchaser. Redeeming the code on a qualifying system helps NVIDIA verify the game is redeemed by the purchaser. Please note that only one game copy can be redeemed per qualifying GPU.

Even though this means no more cheap codes for most people this also means that you won;t be able to give away codes for games you don't want.

Cubas

I understand why they're doing it, to be honest. Publishers were probably reluctant to sign deals with them as their codes would surely end up being selled for cheap on eBay.

Mendrox

Meh, almost everybody buys cards with these codes to get them cheaper aren't they? I always sold my codes to make the card itself cheaper.

Kudo

I have GTX 1070, so basically I can buy a code from somebody who is getting one too?

BraXzy

Does this mean that they somehow tie it to the exact specific GPU you buy, or just the version?

e.g. Could a GTX 1080 promo code work for anyone who owns a 1080? Confused on the wording.

dex3108

I understand why they're doing it, to be honest. Publishers were probably reluctant to sign deals with them as their codes would surely end up being selled for cheap on eBay.

Nvidia pays publishers for codes, customer pays Nvidia for GPU so they both got their money. People won;t go and buy GPU just because they want game.

Vuze

The way I read it: Code is only redeemable on a system with a qualifiying card installed and only once.

That still sucks ass but should enable owners of qualifying cards to get cheap codes? I think connecting unique GPU + promo code right out of the gate would be a hassle for distribution.

Does this include For Honor/Wildlands?
If I had to guess, these are the first to be affected since they need to be redeemed through GFE.

dex3108

As far as i can see codes you get with card are your codes as GPU is yours and you have right to do whatever you want with them. You paid for them, Nvidia got their money and publisher got their money.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shitty that you cant give away (sell) a free gift? How exactly?

Because it's shitty that you can't give away or sell something you own with your purchase? It's not a free gift. It's part of the product purchase if offered.

Like if Sony said "Hey, you bought that Uncharted PS4 bundle? Cool. Oh, you have the game already? Sorry, that copy only works in that PS4. Thanks!"

Tecnniqe

Banned
As far as i can see codes you get with card are your codes as GPU is yours and you have right to do whatever you want with them. You paid for them, Nvidia got their money and publisher got their money.

Yes but it also states they are for personal use and not for resale :)

KHlover

Banned
Scalpers ruining it for everyone, again. I've seen people from electronics stores handing out these promo codes like Candy under the table, makes sense for NVIDIA to put a stop to that.

Kudo

If I'm understanding it correctly, each code is tied to a specific one card.

Which means no, you can't use their code.

Damn, they're really going deep with this, so basically tied to SN of the card you buy or something?
And here I was looking forward to grabbing For Honor.. At least there's still the MSI deal, here's hoping.

deoee

The ONE time I buy a code Nvidia fucks with us.

Wow...

I might have a spare For Honor / Ghost Recon Code if the seller won't refund.

Harlequin

Well, this certainly isn't going to help with people thinking they're unlikeable/greedy/scummy. Then again, so long as that sentiment apparently isn't really reflected in their marketshare, I suppose they simply won't give much of a shit about it.

Yeah, this isn't surprising.

Nvidia pays publishers for codes, customer pays Nvidia for GPU so they both got their money. People won;t go and buy GPU just because they want game.
The games with the gpu are just supposed to be an extra incentive for the gpu buyer.

It's like Nvidia are getting a cheap / bulk rate on the keys, so when those keys are sold on to people who might otherwise buy a normal / full price copy of the game the publishers are losing out on sales.

1040222.gif

hollomat

Banned
If I'm understanding it correctly, each code is tied to a specific one card.

Which means no, you can't use their code.

I don't think they're going that far. I tried redeeming a for honor code the other day and got a message along the lines of "your card does not meet the requirements for this code". I believe if you have a card linked to the promotion, GTX 1070, for example you should be able to redeem the code.

deoee

At least they could've added a * on the promotional site so you don't have to check the FAQ (which I did not check this time after the last few games worked without any problems)...

dex3108

The games with the gpu are just supposed to be an extra incentive for the gpu buyer.

It's like Nvidia are getting a cheap / bulk rate on the keys, so when those keys are sold on to people who might otherwise buy a normal / full price copy of the game the publishers are losing out on sales.

This is old debate with purchasing region specific keys ect. If person is ready to purchase thing for 30-40$ range you can't do anything to make them buy it for 60$.

Yeah, adding a check that the person redeeming a code actually owns the graphics card in question is a fairly obvious answer to the resale of the promotional codes. I'd expect AMD to follow suit in the next few months.

Do they check at redemption time, or at launch time? The latter would suck.

"Oh, bought a new PC? Buy our game again!"

I understand that it would suck for a lot of people either way but still.

Those individuals will just jump on cdkeys or G2A and grab a cheap key instead, so I'm not sure how it makes much of a difference when those people are looking for cheap codes. And on Nvidia's part, they're including the key with the expectation that it will be redeemed, so why does it matter which machine it's redeemed on? It's not like it's a multiple use key to begin with and being exploited that way.

deoee

What if I redeem the code on a friends account and then he ties it to my Ubisoft account...?

Does the redemption process allow for this?

Ummm, guys, odds are once you do this the legit way you will still get the actual code to redeem on steam. You basiaclly can't just sell the old nvidia code directly now.

This is old debate with purchasing region specific keys ect. If person is ready to purchase thing for 30-40$ range you can't do anything to make them buy it for 60$.
As someone who has bought said second hand graphics cards keys, I think you're wrong.
Or at least partially wrong.

If publishers lose on this change in policy I'm sure they'll change their mind again to ensure they get the most amount of money.

Wait, so are we talking about some kind of serial number identification, or just that you have the type of card the promo is valid on?

Almost all the promo's are on 1080s, which is what i have, so is it just going to check that I have a 1070/1080 installed?

Nabbis

I don't get it, the only reason they do this is for good publicity anyway. Who the fuck cares what you do with a 40$ game code when you buy a 500$ GPU.

I'm just not sure what happens after you redeem the code in the Nvidia program - do you get a game code to redeem in Uplay...?

That's how it's always worked I believe. Been a while since I used one but I'm pretty sure this is how it is.

Top Bottom