• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the newest Edge: map in X more than 5 times bigger than in Xenoblade on Wii

Takahashi said:
...the map would need to be 5 times bigger.... The game world in X is in fact even bigger than that."

O.O

Does this explain the reason why the latest trailer looks visually less refined than the previous ones? I mean, for a game like this, would you say it's worth it. Yes, I own Xenoblade, no I still haven't had the time to actually dick around with it more than 5 minutes. From what I gather though, it seems like the right compromise for a game like this, should it actually have been needed.

Please watch the treehouse footage

http://youtu.be/qKKiODpn6Fg?t=13m22s

i groaned at first, then remembered you can travel by mech in this, right?

2419877-amekbv.gif

2419876-aturjs.gif

2566017-0553819185-autob.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Does this explain the reason why the latest trailer looks visually less refined than the previous ones? I mean, for a game like this, would you say it's worth it. Yes, I own Xenoblade, no I still haven't had the time to actually dick around with it more than 5 minutes. From what I gather though, it seems like the right compromise for a game like this, should it actually have been needed.
stahp, visually its proven it looks more refined

It seems like people want big areas just for the sake of having big areas... This is not a good thing unless Monolight Soft makes it interesting.

The reason I think it is a good thing is that you can travel more quickly in a mech versus the slow movement in Xenoblade Chronicles. I loved looking at the beautiful vistas and exploring everything, but it eventually became tiresome because there was too much ground to cover at that speed. I hope the overall writing, the characters and the inventory management system is better this time around.

Optimistic with significant reservations.

onilink88

I am excited for the game, have it preordered and everything, but yeah, whenever a developer uses their game's map size as a selling point it kinda makes me feel they're desperate.

It absolutely is a selling point when you have the best map designers and environment artists in the industry by a large margin. This isn't empty boast.

Does this explain the reason why the latest trailer looks visually less refined than the previous ones?

The bolded is false.

I will be so upset when the Wii U has this incredible library of games, far beyond anything offered by the PS4 and XB1, but it still has the lowest sales.

After next year, it won't have anything close to the best library (just barely has it now), unless you don't care for PS4/XBO exclusives and 3rd-party titles.

O.O

Please watch the treehouse footage

http://youtu.be/qKKiODpn6Fg?t=13m22s

I just watched the X treehouse footage for the first time last night, and the game does not look good to me, visually. Only the scale impresses.

I personally don't see the correlation between map size and quality. I can easily think of examples in both ends of both spectrums (big map bad game, small map bad game, big map good game, small map good game), so this news do nothing for me.

I am excited for the game, have it preordered and everything, but yeah, whenever a developer uses their game's map size as a selling point it kinda makes me feel they're desperate.
It's not really about the correlation between the map size and quality, but it's about the sense of scale people often expect from RPGs. People often want to feel like they're immersed in this massive adventure.

It's not desperate at all to market that.

NIN90

Boy is it easy to get you guys salivating.

I don't think the phrase " X times bigger than its predecessor" has ever not backfired.

This is currently the only game I want on Wii U, and that really wasn't until last night when I watched the Nintendo Treehouse video of it that someone posted. Also, is this a direct sequel to the first game or mostly standalone? I'd rather not have to buy Wii.

Edit: Wait, is there only one, albeit really huge map, in these games?

Stand Alone. but you are able to play Xenoblade "1" on Wii U too, so there wouldn´t be any problem if it wasn´t. But i can´t get over it that this would be the only game that you would want to play on Wii U....

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
The Gamestop near me has a few XC copies, but I don't want to get it if it's the rumored HD-ifyed 'remastered' game for the Wii U.

SeanTSC

It's not really about the correlation between the map size and quality, but it's about the sense of scale people often expect from RPGs. People often want to feel like they're immersed in this massive adventure.

It's not desperate at all to market that.

Yeah, all of this. It's also especially important when you're also running around in Giant Mechs. You really need that size to pull off the scale with them involved. Considering how well they did the environment and scale in the first game I have a lot of faith they're going to do a fantastic job here too.

wrowa

Have you actually seen the E3 gameplay? It doesn't look any worse than before. The reason the E3 trailer looked "less refined" as you call it is due to it showing mostly cutscenes with close-ups of the characters. Character models already have been the worst part of Xenoblade and the same holds true for X. You have to cut corners somewhere, I guess.

Stand Alone. but you are able to play Xenoblade "1" on Wii U too, so there wouldn´t be any problem if it wasn´t. But i can´t get over it that this would be the only game that you would want to play on Wii U....

Oh yeah, I completely forgot the WiiU is backwards compatible, haha. And yes, I'm not really interested in other Nintendo games anymore. I'll still play Mario Kart, but it's not a system seller for me anymore. I used to be a huge Mario Kart, 3D Mario, and Mario Party fan. Played Smash a lot with friends, but never really liked it. Not into Zelda games.

JCX

Wow, well at least the dolls can be used for travel. Slow walking through huge areas is one of my few pet peeves with Xenoblade.

Wonder how much a Wii U will be when this comes out? Lol.

This and SMT x FE were always the titles that would make me get a Wii U. Unfortunate my two tipping point titles have indefinite dev cycles.

Kriken

That sounds great for exploration. Really hoping the Dolls help to prevent wandering through old areas less tedious though. As much as I loved the exploration in Xenoblade, it can get a bit annoying to have to go to a specific area 3 times for a sidequest where the closest landmark is 2 minutes away

Davey Cakes

Boy is it easy to get you guys salivating.
Xenoblade is considered one of the best JRPGs of last gen for Wii or any system. People are excited for the successor and any news is saliva-worthy to them.

No problems here. Excitement is good.

My question, which goes for open world games in general, is if people actually want a larger scale with content spread thin, or smaller scale with content more tightly packed.

cackhyena

You should give yer copy to me.

random25

It seems like people want big areas just for the sake of having big areas... This is not a good thing unless Monolight Soft makes it interesting.

The reason I think it is a good thing is that you can travel more quickly in a mech versus the slow movement in Xenoblade Chronicles. I loved looking at the beautiful vistas and exploring everything, but it eventually became tiresome because there was too much ground to cover at that speed. I hope the overall writing, the characters and the inventory management system is better this time around.

Optimistic with significant reservations.

I wouldn't worry about an interesting world since the world from XC if used as a reference has received an overall positive feedback from how the game handled it. The excitement of a bigger scope comes from the fact that mechs can be used this time for traveling, making the previous impossible to explore ares in Xenoblade (e.g. behind the mountains and peaks of a tall structure) a possibility.

Hindl

Wonder how much a Wii U will be when this comes out? Lol.

This and SMT x FE were always the titles that would make me get a Wii U. Unfortunate my two tipping point titles have indefinite dev cycles.

I'm gonna say February. Until E3 Nintendo said this was gonna be 2014 so it had to be pretty close to release, and Nintendo has had two successes with JRPGs in February recently (FE:A and Bravely Default). 3DS games but still. I'm hoping that it gets an early February release so there isn't too much of a post holiday lull

Nibel

I can't imagine 5 times bigger than Xenoblade because that game was already HUGE. Great news and the reason why they chose the size sounds logical.

Bullza2o

I loved exploring every corner to complete the maps in Xenoblade, and with X I'll probably spend even days just exploring on foot.

HUELEN10

Have you actually seen the E3 gameplay? It doesn't look any worse than before. The reason the E3 trailer looked "less refined" as you call it is due to it showing mostly cutscenes with close-ups of the characters. Character models already have been the worst part of Xenoblade and the same holds true for X. You have to cut corners somewhere, I guess.

Yeah, I've seen all the footage. IMO, the E3 2013 trailer is the prettiest showing of the game, but you may be right; I hadn't considered that the character model close-ups were its weakpoint (again, haven't even truly played Xenoblade). Good to hear not much has changed though.

emb

Not a fan of this. I'm not really crazy about vehicles in general... so I hate when the world starts to become so expansive that you can't do much exploring on foot.

But it's still cool to know. Should make for some nice views. :)

After next year, it won't have anything close to the best library (just barely has it now), unless you don't care for PS4/XBO exclusives and 3rd-party titles.

I just watched the X treehouse footage for the first time last night, and the game does not look good to me, visually. Only the scale impresses.

3rd Party games you can also play on PC. When it comes to exclusives Wii U doesn´t have to hide. But i get what you mean, that´s not enough for everyone. That said i think Wii U sales will rise over time. Oh, this game is all about scale (technically), that´s why they have to make compromises.

I'm gonna say February. Until E3 Nintendo said this was gonna be 2014 so it had to be pretty close to release, and Nintendo has had two successes with JRPGs in February recently (FE:A and Bravely Default). 3DS games but still. I'm hoping that it gets an early February release so there isn't too much of a post holiday lull

You have to factor in the huge localization a game like this needs. Though there have been some talk about it getting localized as it goes along.

I see this as an April/May NA title. I see Wooly World coming in February like Donkey Kong last year. Also Splatoon is coming in the first half of the year so I'm guessing June for that.

Top Bottom