• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the newest Edge: map in X more than 5 times bigger than in Xenoblade on Wii

See the problem with all these larger game worlds is they dont mean much if they are just barren and desolate spaces with not enough content to justify all that extra room.

I want to hear about how many more quests they have,

Has there been any interviews with Takahashi regarding X? It seems like we still barely know anything about the development of the game.

Go_Ly_Dow

Xenoblade had way more than 2 or 3 maps...

that's what i meant.

would like it to be like Xenoblade and have 10+ large unique locations as opposed to 2-3 extremely large ones.

the varying art style is what made progressing through Xenoblade so exciting.

JoJoSono

Banned
This can be a good thing or a bad thing. Big open worlds don't mean anything if they are boring. I remember True Crime LA having this big recreation of Lost Angles. It was hugely boring, because while big it sure had nothing of note. What made Xenoblade's world so great was yes the scale. It was amazing to run through these big open fields, but it was also awesome to suddenly find out that I was on the finger of a giant robot. I wonder if X will be too big to the point that it's just uninteresting and will the world have some uniqueness to it.

I kind of wonder a lot about X. I liked how the would of Xenoblade felt connected and somehow formed this giant robot god. Yet also remember, the cities and whatnot of Xenoblade were merely there and you had little interaction with them. I just don't want open fields with nothing going on in them.

I didn't want a silent protagonist either, but we are getting that.

Dunno how I missed this, but this sounds awesome.

And from the E3 demo they played (plus their work on the original Xenoblade), I'm pretty confident the rest of the world looks pretty nice.

onilink88

Dunno how I missed this, but this sounds awesome.

And from the E3 demo they played (plus their work on the original Xenoblade), I'm pretty confident the rest of the world looks pretty nice.

Yeah, the worry about the quality of the locales is unfounded based on the extensive amount of footage we've seen from the game.

ibcx2eukM2RiRA.png

ihv5SQz0Mh5P1.png

There's far more diversity here (in a single area) than there ever was in Xenoblade.

There's far more diversity here (in a single area) than there ever was in Xenoblade.

Come on, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Not even close, that's going a bit too far. Still, I'm not worried that there will be in the final game.

EDIT: Or are you saying that judging separate areas this one has more diversity than any other single area in Xenoblade? I first though you were saying that the area in these two shots had more diversity than every area in Xenoblade. Sorry about that if it isn't the case. Still, while it might be true the final game could still have less variety overall.

onilink88

Come on, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Not even close, that's going a bit too far. Still, I'm not worried that there will be in the final game.

Maybe I didn't word that properly. I mean comparing the diversity in a single area in X to a single area in Xenoblade.

Comparing both game's first areas, Primordial Wilderness pisses on Colony 9 from the moon in terms of scale, topographical diversity, and art/design, for example.

onilink88

Still, while it might be true the final game could still have less variety overall.

We've seen three areas so far:

Primordial Wilderness
a desert area (that connects to the above)
and a volcanic area

And unless these are the only places to visit in the game (I highly doubt that's the case), it doesn't look like we have to worry about diversity in the game as a whole. :)

Believe me, I have no doubts it will have more variety but I can see where some people are coming from when worrying about this. We see a lot of big games out there without much variety so it gets harder and harder to get excited about a videogame just because it's digital world is larger than before.

onilink88

Believe me, I have no doubts it will have more variety but I can see where some people are coming from when worrying about this. We see a lot of big games out there without much variety so it gets harder and harder to get excited about a videogame just because it's digital world is larger than before.

I can sort of understand the skepticism from those who've never played Xenoblade, but to see it coming from the people that have? It's not a grounded fear based on what we've seen. There are more legitimate things to worry about, like the Dolls trivializing the size and scale of the game, the terrible side quests and side quest system returning (which is looking likely, honestly), or Takahashi regressing into some of his more unsavory writing habits. There are even legitimate criticisms to make, like the bafflingly stupid decision to relegate time manipulation to these "stations", instead of letting players do it on the fly via the menu.

But to worry about the quality and diversity of the environments (once again, taking into account what we've seen so far)? I find that to be a bit irrational if you've actually played Xenoblade.

Akhe

Ooone dreaaamm oooone sooouuul one priiiiize one goooal. One gooolden glaaance of what should beee.

2563771-1284351675-xenox.gif

See that mountain over there? I'll be there = D

Jarmel

Banned
Size increase=/quality increase

I can sort of understand the skepticism from those who've never played Xenoblade, but to see it coming from the people that have? It's not a grounded fear based on what we've seen. There are more legitimate things to worry about, like the Dolls trivializing the size and scale of the game, the terrible side quests and side quest system returning (which is looking likely, honestly), or Takahashi regressing into some of his more unsavory writing habits. There are even legitimate criticisms to make, like the bafflingly stupid decision to relegate time manipulation to these "stations", instead of letting players do it on the fly via the menu.

But to worry about the quality and diversity of the environments (once again, taking into account what we've seen so far)? I find that to be a bit irrational if you've actually played Xenoblade.

There are tangible limits on almost every studio as to what they can accomplish. I can't say for sure whether the size bump is a positive or negative until I play the game and see how it all works out.

Lumyst

In last year's trailers I remember seeing enemies that dwarfed the size of the Dolls, so I'm glad they accomodated the sense of scale to the presence of the mechs. Traveling on foot and fighting those huge enemies on foot could be crazily daunting, haha

onilink88

There is nothing that I've seen that says X's environments are any less great than what I expect them to be. As I've pointed out, there is a stratosphere of difference in terms of not just size, but quality as well between Primordial Wilderness and Colony 9. And that's just the first area.

Myriadis

On my first playthrough of xenoblade chronicles and I feel like i'm ultimately lost in the gaur plains if I wouldn't have a map. Love it!

Oersted

In last year's trailers I remember seeing enemies that dwarfed the size of the Dolls, so I'm glad they accomodated the sense of scale to the presence of the mechs. Traveling on foot and fighting those huge enemies on foot could be crazily daunting, haha

Oh yeah

batbeg

I hope if there is an online mode it isn't relegated to single areas or anything, I want to be able to explore all over that bitch with others.

On my first playthrough of xenoblade chronicles and I feel like i'm ultimately lost in the gaur plains if I wouldn't have a map. Love it!

I just found myself not wanting to leave that area because of the music. :p I think I stayed there just leveling for about three or four hours before finally continuing with the story. That's never happened to me before with a game. That area just feels magical.

Min0

There are more legitimate things to worry about, like the Dolls trivializing the size and scale of the game, the terrible side quests and side quest system returning (which is looking likely, honestly), or Takahashi regressing into some of his more unsavory writing habits.
That's a good thing tho ;)

DJIzana

EDIT: Or are you saying that judging separate areas this one has more diversity than any other single area in Xenoblade? I first though you were saying that the area in these two shots had more diversity than every area in Xenoblade. Sorry about that if it isn't the case. Still, while it might be true the final game could still have less variety overall.

You're also forgetting the drawdistance is largely cut down so you don't know exactly, to what extent, the map will look like from a ground view.

It never crossed my mind that some of you guys hated the sidequest system in Xenoblade. It was one of the thing I liked the most about the game. I usually skip sidequests in RPGs I play, but in Xenoblade I found the system so awesome that I completed at least 90% of the quests.

Not necessarily, but based on Xenoblade, I don't think there's anything to worry about. We have a pretty strong idea of how the game will play, and a larger game just means that there will be more areas to explore and more time to spend with the combat system.

There's still a limit to how much the development team can accomplish, but based on Xenoblade I'm sure that they wouldn't be satisfied with just putting out subpar areas that were big just because.

Lol, not at all. XCX will have a varied amount of locations I'm sure but currently it does not touch Xenoblade Chronicles. That's natural considering how little of the game we've seen.

onilink88

Lol, not at all. XCX will have a varied amount of locations I'm sure but currently it does not touch Xenoblade Chronicles. That's natural considering how little of the game we've seen.

Maybe I didn't word that properly. I mean comparing the diversity in a single area in X to a single area in Xenoblade.

Comparing both game's first areas, Primordial Wilderness pisses on Colony 9 from the moon in terms of scale, topographical diversity, and art/design, for example.

The Hermit

that's what i meant.

would like it to be like Xenoblade and have 10+ large unique locations as opposed to 2-3 extremely large ones.

the varying art style is what made progressing through Xenoblade so exciting.

Yeah, when I reached the snowy moutains I was like "whoa, really" and it was barelly half of the game.

Second half was lamer though

This makes more sense. I agree then haha.

Top Bottom