• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the newest Edge: map in X more than 5 times bigger than in Xenoblade on Wii

Meesh

Seems this game will take 9000 hours for completionists now >:)
Um, I believe the meme is "over 9000". Sheesh. :p

Xenoblade x 5 = X? Aaaaaand there goes the rest of my life. I'll be paler, frailer, and the stench shalt be more wicked than ever from my games room...

Seventy70

I hate it when a company says, "Hey, our next game is going to be X times bigger than our last game!", because there's never an actual way to measure the size when it comes out. They could just be lying and hope that people forget the statement when the actual game comes out.

Astral Dog

Shit, Xenoblade was MASSIVE,when i played it, i didnt think "yep, they need to make the world bigger"it was almost overwhelming, i just hope they keep the quality of the level design high, i would have been okay with double the size,or something,doesnt need to be that big.

onilink88

I hate it when a company says, "Hey, our next game is going to be X times bigger than our last game!", because there's never an actual way to measure the size when it comes out. They could just be lying and hope that people forget the statement when the actual game comes out.

ibuGb5N5vR213D.jpg
i8zjC5jK918QT.jpg
iwyNqmIKaZsZW.png

Not only is what Takahashi saying demonstrably true, he's underselling the scope of the game by quite a bit. The accusations of selling snake oil are unfounded and, quite frankly, obnoxious here.

Mistle

Considering you fly around in a mech, I'd imagine that while bigger, the world may be a bit more sparse? Xenoblade was huge but always felt like there was something to do.

See that mountain? You can go there.

This is the thing that impressed me most with Xenoblade.

"Hey, that's the other end of Gaur Plain. Oh, but it isn't just decoration. See, now you're there. And look behind you...yep..that's where you started."

I have no earthly idea how the hell they got the Wii to produce that. I just...it STILL blows my mind and I'm 60 hours into the game. Super endgame spoilers:
When the Mechanis starts moving, but before it's killed, and how in every area I was in I could see the damn thing moving..and now I can see it's corpse. I just...It baffles me

Oh, and the side quest system? Anyone who says it's just "go kill X amount of Y' obviously never went past that. I skipped most of the sidequests, and I'm very much regretting it. I didn't realize how deep/complex the NPC/affinity/sidequests systems were until just now. Feel free to laugh at me.

Reveirg

I doubt there will be 5 times more content than Xenoblade. The quote is taken a bit out of context. He's only saying that the maps are bigger to accommodate a gear's bigger size and speed.

The scale is bigger, but I doubt there will be more actual content than the already humongous Xenoblade.

Oh, and the side quest system? Anyone who says it's just "go kill X amount of Y' obviously never went past that. I skipped most of the sidequests, and I'm very much regretting it. I didn't realize how deep/complex the NPC/affinity/sidequests systems were until just now. Feel free to laugh at me.

Yeah I gotta agree. They took the classic MMO formula (which exists in its form because it IS addictive...at least it is to me XD) and added plenty of depth to it.
And well, they're side-quests to an already huge main quest, so I don't understand all the criticism towards that system.

orochi91

Not only is what Takahashi saying demonstrably true, he's underselling the scope of the game by quite a bit. The accusations of selling snake oil are unfounded and, quite frankly, obnoxious here.

That's phenomenal. Xenoblade was massive in scope, and XBX is several times that...

I hope the music is good because that's what made traversing the lands in Xenoblade
so memorable.

BasilZero

Great news.

I'm currently playing Xenoblade and am impressed with the environment scope in the game :eek:.

Hearing this has made me get some hype for the sequel :p

onilink88

Considering you fly around in a mech, I'd imagine that while bigger, the world may be a bit more sparse? Xenoblade was huge but always felt like there was something to do.

In the near two hours of footage shown of the game, we've seen an equal - if not greater - density of fauna than was in Xenoblade, and a topographical diversity that not one of the locales in Xenoblade could boast. Collectibles are returning, in addition to "treasure boxes" (in the form of salvaging parts, sifting through animal waste, and who knows what else). I don't know from where this scarcity would come.

I think people need to take a step back from Xenoblade, as I'm under the impression that some people are holding it to a standard that X is already easily surpassing (at least gameplay-wise), but they can't seem to see that for some reason.

Laconic

Banned
In the near two hours of footage shown of the game, we've seen an equal - if not greater - density of fauna than was in Xenoblade, a topographical diversity that not one of the locales in Xenoblade could boast. Collectibles are returning, in addition to "treasure boxes" (in the form of salvaging parts, sifting through animal waste, and who knows what else). I don't know from where this scarcity would come.

I think people need to take a step back from Xenoblade, as I'm under the impression that some people are holding it to a standard that X is already easily surpassing (at least gameplay-wise), but they can't seem to see that for some reason.

Are the items actually going to make an impression, this time?

Because that was a major let down, for me, in the original.

By that, I mean special and unique gear, like Excalibur or Masamune, in Final Fantasy, or like the Liquid Metal Sword in Dragon Quest. I dream of things like Timbrel of Tension a la Dragon Quest, and Horns of Fireballs a la Wizardry.

Astral Dog

That's phenomenal. Xenoblade was massive in scope, and XBX is several times that...

I hope the music is good because that's what made traversing the lands in Xenoblade
so memorable.

Im not familiar with the composer, but i fear its gonna be a huge step down from the music in Xenoblade that was a great team

I'm excited about the larger map and I think Monolith can pull it off.

I can definitely see why people would be leery about the world size, but Xenoblade Chronicles was FAR bigger than the Wii "should" have been able to handle and not only was it big, it was also diverse. It was one of those titles that pushed beyond the confines of what "should" have been possible on the hardware***

The realization that Xenoblade had such a big map wasn't really a part of the pre-release hype (lol. what pre-release hype? exactly). So, while it might feel out of place for them to be talking about the map size, realize that this game is meant to be a cornerstone of the Wii U's RPG library whereas Xenoblade was just a really great game at the end of the Wii's lifespan that barely managed to get localized.

***Xenoblade Chronicles felt a lot like Shadow of the Colossus to me, as in, this inspiring, "next gen" concept that shouldn't have been possible on its native hardware

Pandacon

Are the items actually going to make an impression, this time?

Because that was a major let down, for me, in the original.

By that, I mean special and unique gear, like Excalibur or Masamune, in Final Fantasy, or like the Liquid Metal Sword in Dragon Quest. I dream of things like Timbrel of Tension a la Dragon Quest, and Horns of Fireballs a la Wizardry.

Well, there was the Monado.

Side note: I am much excite for this game.

orochi91

Im not familiar with the composer, but i fear its gonna be a huge step down from the music in Xenoblade that was a great team

Yoko Shimomura gone and Hiroyuki Sawano will replace her....

Both talented, but I found Gundam Unicorn's OST above average, whereas Xenoblade's
OST was brilliant.

I don't know how to feel about this yo!

EDIT: HANG ON!

He did the Attack on Titan OST! There may be hope yet!

random25

onilink delivers again! :)

Yoko Shimomura gone and Hiroyuki Sawano will replace her....

Both talented, but I found Gundam Unicorn's OST above average, whereas Xenoblade's
OST was brilliant.

I don't know how to feel about this yo!

To be fair, the bulk of Xenoblade's music are done by ACE+. I think that group is not getting much of the recognition they deserve. Love Shimomura's greatness, but let's also give credits to those guys :)

Laconic

Banned
Well, there was the Monado.

Side note: I am much excite for this game.

It is excitement and delight from finding a special and unique upgrade or sidegrade that I crave.

I love exploring and finding hidden goodies that allow for liberal customization and minmaxing of party parameters.

Things like the teleport boots in Grandia 2 that could turn your character with the most limited mobility into an enemy ability interrupting machine, or the double cast augment, in DS Final Fantasy IV.

orochi91

To be fair, the bulk of Xenoblade's music are done by ACE+. I think that group is not getting much of the recognition they deserve. Love Shimomura's greatness, but let's also give credits to those guys :)

Where can I find more of ACE+ music? Google is failing me D:

watershed

Banned
I don't think we need to be worried about the size or detail of the game world after watching the E3 coverage. The world is huge, detailed, filled with monsters and interesting landscapes, and really just beautiful.

K-A-Deman

It is excitement and delight from finding a special and unique upgrade or sidegrade that I crave.

I love exploring and finding hidden goodies that allow for liberal customization and minmaxing of party parameters.

Things like the teleport boots in Grandia 2 that could turn your character with the most limited mobility into an enemy ability interrupting machine, or the double cast augment, in DS Final Fantasy IV.

I feel like In Xenoblade, that sense of excitement and delight came from discovering secret locations instead of outright finding special items. I mean yeah there was this sense of joy when you got a good weapon with three gem slots, but personally the bulk of my joy came from hearing the extended discovery chime followed by seeing a vast new area that more often then not overlooked where I had already passed by multiple times. The big lumbering monster that saw me and one-shotted me did put a slight damper on that though...

Brofield

EDIT: HANG ON!

He did the Attack on Titan OST! There may be hope yet!

I dare not get my hopes up the opening theme for X could be as adrenaline rushing as the original opening theme for AoT. You're talking about the instrumental battle songs, correct?

Takahashi himself estimated the first game's size at about the same size as Japan's Archipelago. That's the entire country of Japan. Now multiply that by five and you get an idea of how large XCX will be. I've done the math and it's just shy of 730,000 square kilometers. Just a bit smaller than Indonesia.

Mercedes Doll DLC for Xenoblade X?
lol

I don't think this game is going to review well. No one is going to have time to play it. O__O

They'll have to give out the review copies at least six months in advance if they want to have any chance of getting a complete review. I can see it, IGN gives it a bad score because it's too long. (This game is amazing, but I can't finish it!) It may even get to the point where the review come out 6 months after the game releases because can't finish it in time.

Xenoblade got pretty dismissed when it finally did come over.

Lots of factors worked against it, but a lot of reviewers just went "Well, it's just a normal JRPG, but I can move, so..." and quit at Guar Plains.

The reason the comment was made was to point out that they needed to make the game (more than) 5 times larger since the Dolls are roughly 5 times larger than a human so that if you are in a Doll, travel around the world doesn't go by too quickly. So in this case, I don't think that there's anything to be concerned about.

Pandacon

Yeah, I agree, the gear in the game was rather bland. Especially when they started reusing models for later gear, which I can understand, but it takes away from the uniqueness that a piece would have.

Dunkley

I always thought Xenoblade would be absolutely perfect for online co op

would have made some of the boss battles so much more epic, especially with the chain attacks.

That reminds me, I'm not fully up-to-date on X news, but was there ever any word on the early screens where it said "Player 2" and "Player 3" in the party bar with huge level gaps between the characters?

ZGheNpV.jpg

M0sFJfI.jpg

I always figured that meant we're getting MP for Xenoblade X to some extent, but it might have been scrapped since.

Top Bottom