• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the way things are going, Xbox Game Pass is likely become the dominate Streaming/Subscription gaming service

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I always said Microsoft should just stick to games and software. The one thing they have been successful at has nothing to do with the xbox itself. Their hardware is never anything special, they never have anything really compelling regarding exclusive games for said hardware, etc. They should just run game pass and publish/develop games for their game pass platform and other systems.

Sega quit hardware and their company only got better. Microsoft is essentially the new Sega in the console scene. They scream and yell about how awesome their hardware is meanwhile all their competition passes them up and they are left with nothing but software.
Hold up. Never made hardware that's anything special??? Hard, hard disagree. The X is a beast. The Series X - from what we know already - is already an engineering marvel. 360 was a banger as was the OG Xbox.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Uhm guys "they" can read your little moral circlejerk, you know that right? Or is passive aggresiveness the way real grown up people like you solve these issues?

By the way, I don't report people either. But if me tagging EL (in a question directly aimed at him, again stop it with the denseness) and calling someone a knob is so sensitive, I got another board for ya. What was it called? I thought it started with an "R"...

I heard their civil safe spaces are quite cozy.

Talking about "sensitive". Wasn't it you who came into a thread crying to the owner of the forum "cuz too many threads"? Then proceeded to name call someone for calling you out on your "threadwhining"???

Give it a rest. Don't like it, dont read it.

DS_Joost

This user has been removed from the thread. Trolling.
Talking about "sensitive". Wasn't it you who came into a thread crying to the owner of the forum "cuz too many threads"? Then proceeded to name call someone for calling you out on your "threadwhining"???

Give it a rest. Don't like it, dont read it.

I can decide that for myself, thanks. I am a big boy who can make his own decisions just like you can😘

At least I got y'all talking about something different than gamepass. Maybe the shills do have a life outside Xbox?

Maybe I'm such an asshole because I haven't got gamepass yet. Perhaps it even solves personal issues!

Wow, it really is THAT great!😎

Last edited:

quickwhips

Graphically sure but gameplay wise the first was AA, so it’ll depend on if they overhauling the franchise or not.
Stop moving the goal post. Its either triple A or its not. That is like saying the order wasnt because gameplay was repetitve and not fun. That was a triple A game just not a good one. I dont like the spiderman art style but its an amazing game that is triple A.

oagboghi2

The OP is ridiculous. We know next to nothing about Sony’s plans but already Xbox shills(and I’m sorry but that what these gamepass threads are. Shilling) are predicting MS will dominate? Have you learned nothing from these past few years?

The games are the ultimate factor, not a “service”. If Sony delivers games people want and MS doesn’t, even on a service, than none of this matters.

DS_Joost

The OP is ridiculous. We know next to nothing about Sony’s plans but already Xbox shills(and I’m sorry but that what these gamepass threads are. Shilling) are predicting MS will dominate? Have you learned nothing from these past few years?

The games are the ultimate factor, not a “service”. If Sony delivers games people want and MS doesn’t, even on a service, than none of this matters.

That was my whole point but apparently some people see someone calling other's out on their blatant bullshit as being sensitive and not very classy (whatever the fuck they mean with that lol).

I like it when people, you know, discuss things. But you better not call them "knobs" (even when they're being just that) because that hurts their sensitive little minds.

I personally would never utter "Neogaf" and "classy" in one sentence, even though I just did. And that is the reason I love this forum. None of that faux decent bullshit. I can converse here the way I converse in real life, like a real person. I can discuss things as me, not as some fake persona I took from "how-to-have-a-discussion-with-your-coworkers-without-hurting-them-even-though-you-secretly-find-them-offensively-stupid-101".

Last edited:

DS_Joost

Besides, the ignore option works great, there are some people that don't have ANYTHING useful to add in any thread that the ignore option is made for.
I don't like using it but there are a few suspects that are only in these threads to create strife

I personally never use the ignore button ever. It's all too easy to create your own echo-chamber. Then again, I like diversity, whether I like what people write or not. I never take discussions on the internet personal, because, y'know, I don't know the person on the other side.

pr0cs

I personally never use the ignore button ever. It's all too easy to create your own echo-chamber. Then again, I like diversity, whether I like what people write or not. I never take discussions on the internet personal, because, y'know, I don't know the person on the other side.
Agreed, I think I only have a few people on there, mostly because they are only in threads to shit the place up. Argue for the sake of argument then vanish or ignore when called out on their bullshit.
Those people aren't worth the time investment in reading anything they've wrote

GHG

Hold up. Never made hardware that's anything special??? Hard, hard disagree. The X is a beast. The Series X - from what we know already - is already an engineering marvel. 360 was a banger as was the OG Xbox.

Quite literally.

giphy.gif

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Agreed, I think I only have a few people on there, mostly because they are only in threads to shit the place up. Argue for the sake of argument then vanish or ignore when called out on their bullshit.
Those people aren't worth the time investment in reading anything they've wrote

I don't have anyone on ignore, you never know when someone you think is a total tool will make an excellent point/argument. Even if they never do contribute anything worthwhile, they make for a good laugh.

Why would Microsoft give numbers out? I guess their reasoning is that they want to reach a certain milestone or they are hiding the numbers from competitors, so they could have 50 Million Subs but Sony assume its 5 Million because Sony doesn't know, so Sony are not focused on Subscription Gaming.

There must be spies inbetween the big gaming companies? (Yes, I'm serious lol.)

Yes. Playable and downloadable but not ownable, as you would lose access to the games if you ended your subscription.
That's pretty good. Not sure why some dont think this is a great purchase and money saver. I mean Outer Worlds just released and I'd be all over it if I had game pass, then.

Dory16

Banned
That's pretty good. Not sure why some dont think this is a great purchase and money saver. I mean Outer Worlds just released and I'd be all over it if I had game pass, then.
It’s fantastic. Already over 300 games and more get added regularly. I haven’t bought Control because I suspect it’s coming.

12Dannu123

Nah.

Even now you can see that EA etc are coming up with the idea of doing their own subscription services.

So basically the future is going to be a wide range of game passes for all the different publishers.

Same as it is going with movie subscriptions etc.

Agreed, this is when Consolidation comes in as the market matures.

If this was the case then we would have seen Sony release their new games onto PS Now and we would have seen much bigger growth in PS Now.

So far we have seen none of these. If this is the best Sony can do, it's not a good job so far. Sony must REALLY be willing to go into the Red to get PS Now off the ground. Releasing first party games years later isn't going to grow the service nor ignoring indies and third parties going to help either.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

If this was the case then we would have seen Sony release their new games onto PS Now and we would have seen much bigger growth in PS Now.

So far we have seen none of these. If this is the best Sony can do, it's not a good job so far. Sony must REALLY be willing to go into the Red to get PS Now off the ground.
we don't know the growth rate of PSNow nor Sony's plans for its future. We don't know if Sony sees it as a success of failure. You are speaking out of complete ignorance, hence you rightfully deserved to be called a shill.

Also you are assuming people want the next gen consoles to be about services. There is no proof of this. All the money points to people being excited about new games. The Xbox One, for all of the hype around gamepass, is not selling better than the switch or the PS4

Microsoft marketing decided gamepass was the end all be all, and now people have lost all sense of proportion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All these mountains of game pass threads have to be astroturfing. All game pass and Ps now are is game rental services....like saying what is better...Blockbuster or Family Video. As far as game rentals there really isn't much money in it... Further they can't seem to find customers without giving it away.

Either that, or it's just a really good service and an absurd value for money that keeps getting better.

ph33rknot

Banned
Sony built up their up their franchises well. While ms oversaturated us with Halo/Gears/Forza. By the end of last gen, their arrogance was transparent.

Then you add the shit launch with all the anti consumer shit and more expensive price point. It was a recipe for disaster.

I waited almost 2 years before getting an Xbone myself.
Same amount of Halo as there is of uncharted how is that oversaturated for Halo but not uncharted

Ryu Kaiba

I always said Microsoft should just stick to games and software. The one thing they have been successful at has nothing to do with the xbox itself. Their hardware is never anything special, they never have anything really compelling regarding exclusive games for said hardware, etc. They should just run game pass and publish/develop games for their game pass platform and other systems.

Sega quit hardware and their company only got better. Microsoft is essentially the new Sega in the console scene. They scream and yell about how awesome their hardware is meanwhile all their competition passes them up and they are left with nothing but software.
The day MS leaves the hardware market is the day Sony begins planning all the ways they are going to ream your ass with anti-consumer bullshit.

Competition is good for consumers.

And you know nothing of what Sega may have become if they were still in the console space, stop talking out of your ass.

The problem with that is Sony's piece meal and inconsistent improvements to PSNow have been largely unsuccessful and gone mostly unnoticed. Even among hardcore gamers most don't know it allows local downloads or has added a few semi-recent titles. Gamepass clearly commands an overwhelming majority of brand awareness in subscription based gaming. The danger Sony faces in being a reactive follower is that is gives MS an opportunity to build insurmountable momentum and mindshare. Certainly their haphazard attempts at bringing PSNow kind of up to par isn't "taking over" Gamepass anytime soon, nor will adding day and date first party titles if they do so 1 - 2 years and 10's of millions of subscribers behind MS.

One of Sony's biggest weakness, at least to me, is their marketing about features. They're not the best at getting their message across. No one really knows about the PSNow features you just outlined, those are pretty great features. Xbox bombards you with GamePass, the same with Stadia, they make sure you know what it is and what's happening with it!

I personally think that one of the reasons PS doesn't really push PSNow that much is because of how good PS4 and PS+ is doing. Does that excuse the lack of execution on PS's side? Hell no. They need to learn how to push that service or they're gonna be left playing catch up.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Same amount of Halo as there is of uncharted how is that oversaturated for Halo but not uncharted

Im not saying uncharted wasn't overdone. But the quality in the Uncharted games didn't take a hit like Halo and Gears did. Perfect examples being Halo 4 and Gears Judgement.

We even got different devs doing the games.

ph33rknot

Banned
Im not saying uncharted wasn't overdone. But the quality in the Uncharted games didn't take a hit like Halo and Gears did. Perfect examples being Halo 4 and Gears Judgement.

We even got different devs doing the games.
Ok you got me there even tho I personally think uncharted peaked with 2

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Selling a dollar for penny only last for so long, most of the large publishers have there own rental or streaming service or have it in development. There simple isn't a real business model except to maybe have another small revenue stream... nobody really needs Microsoft to be the middleman.

How exactly can MS corner the market? Streaming and rental services have existed before ms has done them....do you live in an alternative universe?
This is how it always is in MS threads. They act like MS has it all figured out and that everyone will be forced to bow down to them and that nobody will be able to do anything. It is all fantasyland stuff. What happens when other publishers decide they'd rather start their own streaming service than negotiate their games into Gamepass?

The whole paying for an Xbox One X in installments and having Gamepass included in that deals basically means you can lease an Xbox and have unlimited games to play all the time.

That's likely going to be a big deal at E3, I'm sure they will push that model for the next Xbox. A bunch of day 1 games and tons of Xbox One games that well be enhanced and run better free with installments.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Ok you got me there even tho I personally think uncharted peaked with 2

Thats fair. I was never a huge fan of the games. They were average at best imo. With 3 probably being my favorite of the 4.

Halo 4 and Judgement were huge turning points for the worse for gears and halo tho. I hope Infinite can turn it around.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
1 euro on pc. I pay this 1 euro monthly and never even touched gamepass aside gow5. They earned like 8 bucks from me!

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They certainly won't be killing themselves. The industry will adapt.
I’ll believe it when I see it. MS has tried everything except quality first party titles and nothing has gained them any ground against Sony and now Nintendo Switch has supposedly passed Xbox sales.

Until I see some actual data that MS is gaining ground, nobody will be required to adapt to anything.

The part that I find amusing is that you all somehow think Sony will remain stagnant and let MS gain ground and be a disruptive.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
One of Sony's biggest weakness, at least to me, is their marketing about features. They're not the best at getting their message across. No one really knows about the PSNow features you just outlined, those are pretty great features. Xbox bombards you with GamePass, the same with Stadia, they make sure you know what it is and what's happening with it!

I personally think that one of the reasons PS doesn't really push PSNow that much is because of how good PS4 and PS+ is doing. Does that excuse the lack of execution on PS's side? Hell no. They need to learn how to push that service or they're gonna be left playing catch up.
Wrong. In the beginning it was because the service wasn't all that and Sony knew it. Now they don't do it to keep from embarrassing themselves against the likes of Gamepass. GP is a monster and its only getting bigger. Don't delude yourself. It is what it is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Even among hardcore gamers most don't know it allows local downloads or has added a few semi-recent titles.

I honestly had no idea. They should probably change the name of the service...

Great Hair

Banned

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Coulda sworn I read that PS Now had a larger userbase tho.

Any too large middleman is an abomination in any business, especially for workers. Microsoft fits in the monopolistic companies. So i hope no.

Kagey K

Banned
Any too large middleman is an abomination in any business, especially for workers. Microsoft fits in the monopolistic companies. So i hope no.
But if MS goes it leaves Sony in a monopolistic position, which in turn means you would have to root for someone to dethrone them. No?

It’s an unwavering paradox.

Top Bottom