• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[FT] SoftBank’s $66 billion sale of chip group Arm Holdings to NVIDIA collapses

ReBurn

Gold Member
There is still hope to block Activision deal.
This isn't even in the same arena as the Activision deal. Nvidia controlling ARM would give one company an incredible amount of power in the chip market and, by extension entire nascent industries. The Activision deal makes Microsoft the number 3 video game company by revenue, still not the most popular or best selling video game platform, and still has the the number 1 floating hand shooty bang bang game running on PC where a lot of people prefer to play it anyway.

Mark it down for around Jan-march 2023.
I think it will end faster.

I don't even think the MS-Activision deal will ultimately be blocked, but I fully expect regulators to go after it hard to make a name for themselves. There's a political element clearly driving the attention of regulators. It's clear there's a sense that big powerful tech companies have had a free ride for too long.
Name of laughing stock maybe? Considering that the regulators cannot tackle much more egregious Facebook or Apple, they won't be able to build the argument against ATVI deal.

Apple should buy ARM
Actually SoftBank went to Apple first, but Apple did not want to make the deal due to regulatory concerns.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nvidia should create their tech on RISC-V when they are still in infancy and create pressure ARM (Intel, AMD, IBM)

Hire me Jense.

The Alien

Banned
You read the OP and somehow decided that an activision acquisition would have national security implications and. give Microsoft a lifetime unfair technology advantage ?

The NVIDiA deal was also rejected in the US. It’s written plainly in the OP!
Thats the problem with all these console warrior fanboys pretending to be lawyers. They don't understand any of it but knee-jerk words around they don't understand...like monopoly. In this case it seems actually reading the article may have been an issue.

Shmunter

There will be scrutiny on the MS purchase no doubt. $70B is not your everyday transaction.

I would imagine they will look at how much revenue Activision brings to the competition to asses impact of pulling it out. If there is risk of cratering the market it will be a point of note. Also with any luck we will get to know what sort of profit MS is actually making in gaming. If they are running a thin razor to attain market share by strangling others or not.

Hopefully any such info surfaces for us lamens like with the epic vs apple suit.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I would imagine they will look at how much revenue Activision brings to the competition to asses impact of pulling it out. If there is risk of cratering the market it will be a point of note.

They likely will not care about this, as there’s no risk of it ‘cratering the market’. Especially with Sony making significant exclusive investments in that sector too.

Also with any luck we will get to know what sort of profit MS is actually making in gaming. If they are running a thin razor to attain market share by strangling others or not.

Hopefully any such info surfaces for us lamens like with the epic vs apple suit.

Lol. You will most certainly wait for this in vain. This isn’t anything like ‘epic vs apple’.

Besides, this part makes no sense since console launches are already well known to run at either a loss or razor thin margins to gain marketshare. And you’d be laughed out of the room
To suggest that the company with significantly lower marketshare and revenue is ‘strangling’ it’s main competition.

Shmunter

They likely will not care about this, as there’s no risk of it ‘cratering the market’. Especially with Sony making significant exclusive investments in that sector too.

Lol. You will most certainly wait for this in vain. This isn’t anything like ‘epic vs apple’.

Besides, this part makes no sense since console launches are already well known to run at either a loss or razor thin margins to gain marketshare. And you’d be laughed out of the room
To suggest that the company with significantly lower marketshare and revenue is ‘strangling’ it’s main competition.
Console launches?? Did you just conflate hardware margins to billion dollar acquisitions?

What an odd thing to relate for no apparent reason.

Amiga

Nvidia decided to abandon its pursuit of Arm at board meeting earlier on Monday, said a person familiar with the discussion. Its pursuit of Arm marked an opportunistic attempt to score an end-run around chip rivals such as Intel and AMD, and was prompted by an approach from SoftBank after the Japanese company decided to shed the business. Jensen Huang, Nvidia’s chief executive, hoped to use Arm’s processor designs to cement his company’s growing role in data centres, where its graphical processors have become important tools for machine learning.

Nvidia is backing off. It wasn't a rejection by regulators.

Ozriel

M$FT
Console launches?? Did you just conflate hardware margins to billion dollar acquisitions?

What an odd thing to relate for no apparent reason.

YOU said you hoped you’d get a picture of Xbox profit and losses to see if they’re running at razor thin margins. That encompasses EVERYTHING they do that’s revenue generating. What does that have to do with acquisitions alone?

Perhaps you need to take a break, then read what you typed earlier? Because you not comprehending what you typed up is somewhat concerning

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Microsofts turn?
Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

Shmunter

YOU said you hoped you’d get a picture of Xbox profit and losses to see if they’re running at razor thin margins. That encompasses EVERYTHING they do that’s revenue generating. What does that have to do with acquisitions alone?

Perhaps you need to take a break, then read what you typed earlier? Because you not comprehending what you typed up is somewhat concerning
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, What did I do to deserve such an unbridled finger blasting?

Gaming revenue is everything, not just Consoles. Consoles sold at a loss are there to generate profit out the other end with software , services and accessories. That is the revenue that needs to make sense. Look it up if this is new to you.

Last edited:

Sanepar

This isn't even in the same arena as the Activision deal. Nvidia controlling ARM would give one company an incredible amount of power in the chip market and, by extension entire nascent industries. The Activision deal makes Microsoft the number 3 video game company by revenue, still not the most popular or best selling video game platform, and still has the the number 1 floating hand shooty bang bang game running on PC where a lot of people prefer to play it anyway.
This argument of 3rd place is so naive. With activision they can easily go to 2nd place. That's what regulators will focus on this deal, how can it hurts competition. I believe this deal has a fair chance of being blocked.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This argument of 3rd place is so naive. With activision they can easily go to 2nd place. That's what regulators will focus on this deal, how can it hurts competition. I believe this deal has a fair chance of being blocked.
It's not naive. Even being in second place wouldn't prove Microsoft is engaging in anti-competitive practices. There's no scenario here where Microsoft takes a monopoly share of revenue, content, or anything after this deal. Especially when they can prove they don't reduce competition because they release games on PC on both their store and Steam.

When it comes to competition on console the nature of the video game market for decades has been to try to lock games exclusively to one platform and it's pretty easy to show that the current market leader, which would remain the market leader, uses their influence to lock major third party titles away from competing platforms and that this move is necessarily to gain a competitive footing. There is always a chance any merger or acquisition will be blocked I guess but the only competitor this really hurts is Sony and it doesn't change their standing as market leader.

Thirty7ven

Banned
There will be scrutiny on the MS purchase no doubt. $70B is not your everyday transaction.

I would imagine they will look at how much revenue Activision brings to the competition to asses impact of pulling it out. If there is risk of cratering the market it will be a point of note. Also with any luck we will get to know what sort of profit MS is actually making in gaming. If they are running a thin razor to attain market share by strangling others or not.

It will be easy peasy. People really are ignorant about the lobbying power of MS in the U.S, it's amazing how they continue to skate by. And dark money is legal in the U.S.... corruption is literally legal and confidential.

Last edited:
Microsoft will make zero "real" concessions. Mark it down for around Jan-march 2023.
They already did, prematurely. Basically “FTC, please”.

Ozriel

M$FT
They already did, prematurely. Basically “FTC, please”.

In one thread, you're arguing that MS has to keep these games multiplatform so they don't leave money on the table.

In the other, you're claiming these are grudging 'concessions'.

Which is it?

In one thread, you're arguing that MS has to keep these games multiplatform so they don't leave money on the table.

In the other, you're claiming these are grudging 'concessions'.

Which is it?
hey look at me, look. its ok.

That is the concession. They clearly state it themselves in the blog post. Microsft can easily leave money on the table. It would be stupid, but they can afford it.

Top Bottom