• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck IGN's North American Branch (A Hideo Kojima Rant)

"Am I living in Ra Ra Rand?" is what I imagine Kojima-San telling himself when he woke up and read the score of IGN North America's Review. A rather obnoxious and utterly desperate score to give to a game that warrants at the minimum an 8/10 by all means and measures. Even if the gameplay is lacking in the usual AAA depth and polish that you see in games such as RDR2, to give such an ambitious AAA a 6.8 out of 10 is suspicious to say the least.

Here are the reviews from IGN Italy, IGN Spain, IGN Germany, and IGN Japan, all of which scored Death Stranding much higher than their North American counterpart:

fIsxkpX.jpg

BGJ7q8O.jpg

LlZAKZ4.jpg

Q9FEr3N.jpg

As you can clearly see, something is suspiciously wrong here. Why do IGN have FOUR review scores that directly contradict their North American review?

It's simple: Capitalize and maximize site revenue through a genuinely clickbait-ish review score. There's no two ways about it, and this is why I believe that IGN have truly sacrificed their last strands of journalistic integrity.

I hope IGN dies a miserable death and their reviewers/editors end up with a minimum wage job to pay for this heinous and utterly despicable crime in gaming journalism.

DEATH STRANDING OUT ON NOVEMBER 8TH! PRE-ORDER NOW!
p79rTCD.jpg

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"Am I living in Ra Ra Rand?" is what I imagine Kojima-San is telling himself when he woke up and read the score of IGN North America's Review. A rather obnoxious and utterly desperate score to give to a game that warrants at the minimum an 8/10 by all means and measures. Even if the gameplay is lacking in the usual AAA depth and polish that you see in games such as RDR2, to give such an ambitious AAA a 6.8 out of 10 is suspicious to say the least.

Here are two reviews from IGN Italy and IGN Spain, both of which scored Death Stranding much higher than their North American counterpart:

fIsxkpX.jpg

BGJ7q8O.jpg

As you can clearly see, something is suspiciously wrong here. Why do IGN have two scores that directly contradict their North American review?

It's simple: Capitalize and maximize site revenue through a genuinely clickbait-ish review score. There's no two ways about it, and this is why I believe that IGN have truly sacrificed their last strands of journalistic integrity.

I hope IGN dies a miserable death and their reviewers/editors end up with a minimum wage job to pay for this heinous and utterly despicable crime in gaming journalism.

DEATH STRANDING OUT ON NOVEMBER 8TH! PRE-ORDER NOW!
p79rTCD.jpg

Not everyone likes a interactive movie based on a walking simulator, and it's perfectly OK Kojima. We like different things.

ROMhack

Numbers aren't very important and if the reviewer didn't like it, I think he's free to say so. I sincerely feel we shouldn't be arguing for homogeneity amongst viewpoints as the world shouldn't be that way. In other words, just enjoy the game you bloody numbskulls :D

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
6.8? I know we're talking about US press here, but that should technically be "good". But even if it's not. You're allowed to disliked Death Stranding. It looks divisive, to say the least.

Numbers aren't very important and if the reviewer didn't like it, I think he's free to say so. I sincerely feel we shouldn't be arguing for homogeneity amongst viewpoints as the world shouldn't be that way.

In other words, just enjoy the game you bloody numbskulls :D
6.8? I know we're talking about US press here, but that should technically be "good". But even if it's not. You're allowed to disliked Death Stranding. It looks divisive, to say the least.
This is about a gaming review website that compromised its journalistic integrity for maximum clickbait-generated revenue.

Verdanth

Gotta get that traffic website raising somehow. Nothing like being controversial.

On a more serious note, haven't watched the review yet.

If they expose all their arguments clearly for that score...well, it's their opinion, it shouldn't stop you from playing the game.

Last edited:

PeacefulWorldGuy

Neo Member
Gamespot give 9, Metacritic score 84 (for now and higher than days gone) and now Ign sjw team give another 6 for PS4 exclusive with fresh genre plus high quality (i know the gameplay is not great and boring but 6? Seriously Ign?).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The sad part is, is that its who they get to review the game. One person gets the entire NA branch's say as some authentic proclamation. Imagine working for IGN and disagreeing with this person. What a nightmare.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The sad part is, is that its who they get to review the game. One person gets the entire NA branch's say as some authentic proclamation. Imagine working for IGN and disagreeing with this person. What a nightmare.
It's one of the things I loved about EGM. For the most part you had 3 different reviewers with different tastes offering their opinion one game. Allowed you to get a broader sense of whether or not the game is for you.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
As you can clearly see, something is suspiciously wrong here. Why do IGN have FOUR review scores that directly contradict their North American review?

People like different things?

Highly uncalled for. I hope you're just fucking around.

If this is a serious post why aren't you ranting about the guy that gave this a 3/10? The same person who gave Ghost Recon an 8.

Top Bottom