• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck IGN's North American Branch (A Hideo Kojima Rant)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is a silly thread but...

Lol @ the lengths of some of these pro IGN posts in here, that you know are being made only due to the nature of the fanatical circumstances.

Every other day it is fuck IGN but not in this instance.

It's a quintessential piece of journalism right now. The only one that matters out of the 75+.

How did this thread get so long without being closed? It's just a fanboy rant about ONE review? AND not even the lowest one!

That said: It was an entertaining fucking read. xD

I've read a some of the reviews and I still stand by my opinion.

Some seem to reiterate boring, dull and tedious gameplay yet still give it a high score. Sure, they do mention reasons why they loved the game but for me, gameplay is no.1 and from what we've seen it looks like a snoozefest not worthy of perfect scores.

quote from another forum... i think it explains why most reviewer gave better scores:

"I don't think reviewers are "scared." They are people, and like any of us, can fall prey to massive hype cycles that often surround highly anticipated video games. I think there's also something to be said about people feeling emotionally invested in the personal narrative surrounding Kojima, his public banishment from Konami and his rise as an independent developer. That on its own is a great story that makes people want too root for him. You can see this all over this forum. Reviewers may not feel scared, but rather feel sorry or even guilty to give DS too bad a score, without even realizing it. Let's be honest, some of those reviews to read like they're contorting themselves to find something praiseworthy in the game."

i think this is one aspect of the controversy

My argument is that IGN North America put out a blatantly clickbait review score because IGN Italy, Japan, Germany, and Spain all had radically different scores and opinions.

But those are different people. Different reviewers.

The fact that they are all employed by IGN doesn't change the fact that they are different people.

Clickbait - giving the game only an okay score (!?) - is one possibility. Another possibility, that you dismiss without evidence, is that this is their actual view of the game.

This thread says far more about you than the guy that gave the game 6.8.

quote from another forum... i think it explains why most reviewer gave better scores:

"I don't think reviewers are "scared." They are people, and like any of us, can fall prey to massive hype cycles that often surround highly anticipated video games. I think there's also something to be said about people feeling emotionally invested in the personal narrative surrounding Kojima, his public banishment from Konami and his rise as an independent developer. That on its own is a great story that makes people want too root for him. You can see this all over this forum. Reviewers may not feel scared, but rather feel sorry or even guilty to give DS too bad a score, without even realizing it. Let's be honest, some of those reviews to read like they're contorting themselves to find something praiseworthy in the game."

i think this is one aspect of the controversy

If you look at how hard the entire movie review industry worked to support The Last Jedi, and talk around its many giant failings, you can see clearly that reviewing is about far more than just the piece of "art" itself.

I mean, those fucking Last Jedi Reviews. I'm feeling triggered. I need to go to my safe space now.

I've read a some of the reviews and I still stand by my opinion.

Some seem to reiterate boring, dull and tedious gameplay yet still give it a high score. Sure, they do mention reasons why they loved the game but for me, gameplay is no.1 and from what we've seen it looks like a snoozefest not worthy of perfect scores.

They all reiterate boredom "by design".
It might be a technique to make you feel the exciting moments much more, it might be to hammer home the fact that you're on your own.
Every reviewer will think differently of it.

To me, as a reader "deliberately boring" doesn't sound that great.

Then again, recalling "Berserk"(manga), 'delibertely Soul Crushing' didn't sound very entertaining to me either.
It became one of the best of its medium, in my opinion.

I'm open to being pleasently surprised by the game. I just don't want to pay full price for tht chance.

Caffeine

I just finally checked jesus lol damaged goods just like your website ign.
J1kbrGq.png

Uh? Im still confused, is this parody or not? If it is, its gold material lol

It's just a shit post...like "you can't spell Ignorance without IGN".

Some people still don't grasp the idea od sites being run by individual authors and opinions.

Katsura

Gamespot did something similar in 2000, for Shenmue. It scored exactly 6.8.

They ended up increasing te score years later. I dunno if you can still see it.

*checking*

Yep, still up. Now it's 7.8. It was so shameful they actually changed the score. I dunno if the reviewer was okay with that. Maybe something similar will happen to Death Stranding? I mean.. who knows?
Eurogamer once reviewed that Wii motion plus tennis game without using the motion plus and gave it a 4 :messenger_grinning_squinting:
They had to review it again after everyone laughed at them. Moral of the story? Reviewers are thrash

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
thr game got a lot of 10. just hope you will be on the 10 side or you could end up on the meh side

reviews are just opinions that you can agree or disagree.

angelic

Banned
I think there's a lack of understanding of "deliberate boredom". Silent Hill 2 is deliberately boring, also to hammer home the more impactful scenes. It literally makes you run down a corridor (after the historical society) for about 2 minutes unbroken, or the deliberately long boring path to the town from the opening scene. Deliberate boredom has been with us in gaming for 30 years, people are just offended at seeing it pointed out to them.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
New, innovative, different games should be exceptionally praised imo.
All we get is f2p and lootbox shit multiplayer only games. Nice, story based experience comes very rarely this gen and this one tries new ways and gets bashed. That's why we can't have nice things.
I only play single player games since I want an experience, story, new mechanics. I want to sit down and have my few evenings filled with something memorable. Last gen we had PLENTY of games like that. Soulsborne games also count here as they can be enjoyed offline and on-line is amazing if YOu want to help people or summon help. That's innovation in the right direction... not overwatches, fortnites, lols or safe call of duty games.
This year we only got a handful of Single Player games and while good, some were only sequels/remakes like Metro or RE2 (gears 5 is crap but I am a huge fan of original trilogy).
We did got completely new Sekiro and Control though and only Sekiro I would count as trying something new and ambitious. I do not liked parry the world gameplay since I prefer Dark Souls2 or Bloodborne but You can't deny it's a good game. Control... I loved Alan Wake but I struggled to finish control...

So what I am trying to say - New, completely new games is a rarity nowadays. Friday can't come soon enough

New, innovative, different games should be exceptionally praised imo.
All we get is f2p and lootbox shit multiplayer only games. Nice, story based experience comes very rarely this gen and this one tries new ways and gets bashed. That's why we can't have nice things.
I only play single player games since I want an experience, story, new mechanics. I want to sit down and have my few evenings filled with something memorable. Last gen we had PLENTY of games like that. Soulsborne games also count here as they can be enjoyed offline and on-line is amazing if YOu want to help people or summon help. That's innovation in the right direction... not overwatches, fortnites, lols or safe call of duty games.
This year we only got a handful of Single Player games and while good, some were only sequels/remakes like Metro or RE2 (gears 5 is crap but I am a huge fan of original trilogy).
We did got completely new Sekiro and Control though and only Sekiro I would count as trying something new and ambitious. I do not liked parry the world gameplay since I prefer Dark Souls2 or Bloodborne but You can't deny it's a good game. Control... I loved Alan Wake but I struggled to finish control...

So what I am trying to say - New, completely new games is a rarity nowadays. Friday can't come soon enough
Kojima would be so pleased to read this
kttcoliohhh
💗

Moses85

"Am I living in Ra Ra Rand?" is what I imagine Kojima-San telling himself when he woke up and read the score of IGN North America's Review. A rather obnoxious and utterly desperate score to give to a game that warrants at the minimum an 8/10 by all means and measures. Even if the gameplay is lacking in the usual AAA depth and polish that you see in games such as RDR2, to give such an ambitious AAA a 6.8 out of 10 is suspicious to say the least.

Here are the reviews from IGN Italy, IGN Spain, IGN Germany, and IGN Japan, all of which scored Death Stranding much higher than their North American counterpart:

fIsxkpX.jpg

BGJ7q8O.jpg

LlZAKZ4.jpg

Q9FEr3N.jpg

As you can clearly see, something is suspiciously wrong here. Why do IGN have FOUR review scores that directly contradict their North American review?

It's simple: Capitalize and maximize site revenue through a genuinely clickbait-ish review score. There's no two ways about it, and this is why I believe that IGN have truly sacrificed their last strands of journalistic integrity.

I hope IGN dies a miserable death and their reviewers/editors end up with a minimum wage job to pay for this heinous and utterly despicable crime in gaming journalism.

DEATH STRANDING OUT ON NOVEMBER 8TH! PRE-ORDER NOW!
p79rTCD.jpg

Where is the IGN Germany Review 😜

IV played it. Didnt review it but if u like cutscenes to be long just because or u like fetch quests then this is for you. If i did review it id give it a 5.5 because its pretty. Iv also though kojima peaked at mgs4 and is just rideing his own hype train. Just my opinion

This seems like a great game for people who really care about story and themes and can tolerate bland gameplay. I will eventually get it when it’s on sale just to check it out because I do really like the art direction and the graphics sure are purrdy

I just watched the IGN review and I don't see the issue with it. I'm no fan of IGN in general, but so what that it deviates from the 9's an the 10's given by other outlets? I mean, he is absolutely on point from the extensive gameplay we've seen previously.

I'd say that it's the other way aroud though. All the Kojima whoreshipping with the perfect scores are far more pathetic and cult-like.
As much as I HATE IGN reviews at least the guy gave his honest opinion and stuck by it. I can respect that

HeresJohnny

These review sites that have 4 or 5 different outlets of the same company only further distort what is already a pretty tenuous average system to begin with.

“Who cares if the gameplay sucks, it’s so ambitious!” is what I took from the OP and it’s the same nonsense I see in many of the reviews.
That seems to be the fundamental trend, they're completely overlooking the very thing that makes it a game and how flawed it is because it's so neatly presented and ambitious in other regards.

Gaming journalism has shat the bed.

Bryank75

Banned
That seems to be the fundamental trend, they're completely overlooking the very thing that makes it a game and how flawed it is because it's so neatly presented and ambitious in other regards.

Some did say they actually like the gameplay, like the inside gaming review, he did say if you don't like botw or rdr2, this probably isn't your cup of tea. But I saw that a guy from USGamer was addicted to delivering others dropped parcels, so it definitely gets its claws into some people. It has a hook.
Do I know if I will like it? Not really but I'm excited to try something different.

FMXVII

It has shat the marriage bed, like Amber Heard.

It simply cannot get any crazier without an opiate prescription.

thelastword

Banned
Some of these reviewers have been pretty harsh on some recent Sony games too...….It's definitely a game to look out for...….Any game that gets so many perfect scores means there's lots of unique and innovative stuff inside.....

I have a feeling in the next few years, somebody will try to mimic DS and some of the harsher critiques will say it's a breath of fresh air......."delivering goods has never been done so well before".......Kojima has just developed a new genre here, hate, then comes love and all that.....

Some of these reviewers have been pretty harsh on some recent Sony games too...….It's definitely a game to look out for...….Any game that gets so many perfect scores means there's lots of unique and innovative stuff inside.....

I have a feeling in the next few years, somebody will try to mimic DS and some of the harsher critiques will say it's a breath of fresh air......."delivering goods has never been done so well before".......Kojima has just developed a new genre here, hate, then comes love and all that.....
Death Stranding has all the makings of it being a genre-defining masterpiece like Demon's Souls and ICO/Shadow of the Colossus.

KiNeMz

Banned
No, as I said in the other thread... IGN explained the problems in depth.

I watched the IGN review and it honestly seems to be the only 'mainstream' site that was properly critical of the main gameplay loop. He acknowledged all the positives while being critical of the negatives, and they appear to be numerous.

• Repetitive gameplay loop which is largely just fetch quests
  • Tedious micro-management gameplay mechanics such as constantly having to walk, climb, setup ropes, ladders, balance yourself while traversing the environment, tripping on things and losing your packages, having to retrieve them again when dropped
  • Via the multiplayer other players can troll you by building structures or setting up ladders which lead you up the face of mountains or cliffs to dead ends and nothing
  • Extremely convoluted inventory system
  • Poor fast traveling system that requires you to walk for 10+ minutes to reach a fast travel location, once there you have to skip 3 cutscenes each and every time you want to fast travel
  • The 70 main missions are the equivalent of what would be considered side quests in other games so lacking depth
  • The BT's merely function as a slowdown mechanic to buffer the game length and don't offer a real threat especially on the back of the asynchronous multiplayer which allows players to help in various ways
  • Multiple parts of the game deliberately stifle progress and slow it to a crawl
  • Not until 9-10 hours in do you get a real weapon of any kind and even on top of that there's only a handful of combat encounters

It's got a lot of problems, and the issue with all these high scores is they're completely masking over them.
Depends if see these things as problems or not.

I find it interesting that Kojima has trolled us once again. He gamified the most mundane component to any open world game. The part that all critics mention when an open world game doesn't have enough to do between game play sequences. The 15 second sweet spot before finding something. Kojima has said stuff you. I will make the actual travel part the whole entire game.

Now there are the critics that view this as either genius or a hinderence. They feel hindered that they can't get from point A to point B without the game getting in the way when infact the game is about the getting.

Ultimate troll Kojima. This game will be talked about for years. Well played.

Depends if see these things as problems or not.

I find it interesting that Kojima has trolled us once again. He gamified the most mundane component to any open world game. The part that all critics mention when an open world game doesn't have enough to do between game play sequences. The 15 second sweet spot before finding something. Kojima has said stuff you. I will make the actual travel part the whole entire game.

Now there are the critics that view this as either genius or a hinderence. They feel hindered that they can't get from point A to point B without the game getting in the way when infact the game is about the getting.

Ultimate troll Kojima. This game will be talked about for years. Well played.

lw9kzP9.gif

Senhua

The day that clowns give Code Vein 72 Meta while Sekiro got 88 (well deserved) is the day I done trusting their "review". They actively hating all about Anime and Fanservice in gaming.
Meta/Open critics score is one of the worst thing came to this industry.

thelastword

Banned
Alternate take to OP... IGN N. America didnt drink the Kojima koolaid and is closer to the truth on where it should score.
Yes, it's that review outlet's score, but even against every other IGN branch, it's the only one drifting into the murky waters, whilst the other IGN reviewers are safe on land saying "where are you going", come back......I guess opinions can be different, but is that guy's method in playing and scoring a game so much different to the other IGN's?

Speaking of which, is there not a method to reviews? I wonder what IGN's is......Is it just "Man this is too hard, man this is too long, man this is too frustrating"...….Do they not first, try to learn the game mechanics, so they ensure they are playing the game right, then after completion, give a breakdown on; Graphics, gameplay, sound, quality (bugs, lock-ups, loading issues or lack thereof), production/animation/physics give each category a score based on it's strength or weaknesses and argue each element in your review...……...I fear some reviewers dwell too much on their inability to understand the game or how to play, or even allow pet peeves to dominate their view as opposed to just reviewing a game professionally or through methodology as stipulated above.......

It's similar to the EDGE guy because the whole review is based on feelings, but the EDGE guy is worse actually because he does not want to do his work or finish the game.....In essence, a game has many different elements, so you need to assess each element separately and make a conclusion on how all these elements come together in-game (graphics, sound, animation dialog, gameplay etc..)...Don't want to make this about EDGE, but that guy cant say he does not want to finish or play, it's his job...….If I spend my money on a game as a non-reviewer/customer, I can have the EDGE guy's attitude, but from the time you become a reviewer getting free codes and the like, your attitude towards how you assess things must be different, you have to ensure you understand the game, what it's about, you have to complete the game and then give an assessment not just based on feelings, but as to the quality of the game according to each game element......When you do this, you will have less people coming in to say, but you gave bad rats a 7.0 and this game gets a 6.8, because there is a professional method in how your reviews are done and that standard is utilized across all reviews......

SCB3

I read and watched the review for this and Easy Allies and they both share the same thoughts on it,

the gameplay can get boring and tedious, but you're here for the story and the world and the craziness

For me, that's a Kojima game, I had issues with MGSV, mainly the lack of story, the gameplay was excellent and I even enjoyed MGS Survive, so I'm in on this, well see on release if that holds up

Top Bottom