• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUCK!!! Those graphic card prices are insane

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Eh the prices are not that bad.

james franco GIF

Celcius

°Temp. member
I guess the question is will this ever end and is the future of pc gaming at risk from this?
Supply may improve but I feel like videocard prices started going upward ever since nvidia released the $1000 Titan in like 2013. I fully expect msrp prices be but noticeably higher next gen, and for the cards to still be near impossible to get.

Buggy Loop

MSRP, i can go into any store that sells them, put myself on a waitlist and pay msrp for it.
The picture in the OP isn't scalpers/ebay, it's actual stores, they are ground zero for trying to make a massive profit.

No. Go and check yourself, almost all the pcpartpicker prices are scalpers, why? Because all stores are virtually sold out. The ones that have a price are often stores with marketplaces, quick look on 1660 prices show Amazon mostly, and the sellers, well they’re scalpers, with a store name.

There’s a couple of stores who are raising prices and are IMO setting a bad example, like Newegg, but the other official ones are mostly MSRP.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
No. Go and check yourself, almost all the pcpartpicker prices are scalpers, why? Because all stores are virtually sold out.
I have, pcpartpicker changes by region and there are no "scalper" sellers here, all stores are actual retail stores and they've all jacked up the prices.

Fbh

These prices make the consoles look like an even better deal than usual. It is hard to buy one, but it is possible (PS5's numbers are slightly ahead of PS4 in the same time period).

It's a shame too because when the pricing and performance of the 3000 cards was first shown it seemed like it would be the GPU gen to finally hit that performance to price sweet spot which, at least to me (and I'm sure many others), was what I was waiting for to get into PC gaming.

But now with these prices the disparity of the performance to price ratio between consoles and PC seems worse than ever.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Things won't change until these stupid wastes of energy currency go away by being banned.
Not exactly true. Many of the cryptocurrencies are moving to proof of stake instead of the power hungry proof of work, the largest being ethereum. The proof of work is what requires all the computational power. So at some point the demand will go back down.

Jrizzle5000

Neo Member
How much money do I realistically need in order for a decent gaming pc. About to switch from console to pc for the first time. Thanks in advance. Also links to cheap pcs are welcome.

EDMIX

Yeah they can fuck themself with these prices.

I wanted to upgrade at the beginning of the year but i'm gonna wait for the next intel cpu and ddr5 rams to come out, maybe by then the prices are gonna be less absurd.

Same.

I've needed to upgrade for some time, but theses GPU prices are so fucking wild, I'm just going to wait it out.

I went from "ok ima just upgrade by GPU and CPU"

"ok now board...."

"Fuck it, I'll do a new build"

20cent

Banned
I bought a new PC in january a bit in a rush without paying attention to the invoice and had buyer remorse when I realized that the 3070 was close to $600... I can sleep at ease now

Last edited:
Didn't want to upgrade but my old GPU blew up a month ago. Sparks and smoke.

I've since been able to buy two new GPUs direct from the manufacturers. An msrp 6800 XT ($650) from AMD and a current-msrp overclocked-with-nonsense-RGB 3080 ($960) from Zotac. Both AMD and Zotac have effectively broken websites that require multiple tabs and refreshes, which though frustrating and annoying, have the side-effect of discouraging bots. Amazon is so botted it's not even worth bothering.

As long as you sign up for stock notifications from various discord channels and twitter accounts, you'll at least have a shot.

Honestly, it's just better to wait and play with whatever machine you currently have. These is no justifying these prices. None. Any games released (those that are not delayed anyway) will be waiting for you in a year. Me personally, is taking this as an ideal backlog clearing period.

FutureMD

I mean, as of now, a recent GPU will quite literally print you money via mining. Case in point:
9QVvdzR.png

The profit tab includes electricity charges. At a time where people need money, unless bitcoin tanks, there's an absolutely 0 chance there will not be a shortage.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You're gonna have show some receipts for this claim, only amd/nvidia know what it costs to manufacture the cards; even if their costs rose by 25%, that absolutely doesn't explain the 200% increase (that means 3x) on some of these cards.
Nah fam, this is stores going :pie_moneyface::pie_moneyface: from mining demand.

I can’t show you receipts but I promise you the cost prices on these cards have gone up considerably. Some higher end overclocked models have seen small jumps week on week and then may see an even larger jump out of the blue. One specific card and model on the high end saw a jump of 300 dollars last week compared to its previous buy price. That is direct pricing.

do you honestly think manufacturers would be seeing these insane prices from scalpers, some smaller retailers etc and not do something about it or pass on the increase in manufacturing costs that they are seeing?

console manufacturers might be interested in taking a loss at the launch of a generation and recoup through game sales and services but these card manufacturers won’t. If it doesn’t make money it doesn’t make sense. Every party needs to make money.

GymWolf

I
Same.

I've needed to upgrade for some time, but theses GPU prices are so fucking wild, I'm just going to wait it out.

I went from "ok ima just upgrade by GPU and CPU"

"ok now board...."

"Fuck it, I'll do a new build"
Thank god i have a 2070super so with dlss i can punch above my weight, without that i would be kinda desperate.

hlm666

AMD GPUs are sold en mass at well over MSRP, all that "market share" talk is basically about capacity.
NV should be much less constrained by Samsung 8nm fabs than AMD is at TSMC, with a bunch of products, including PS5 ans XSeX to roll off it.

According to Dave James from PC Gamer, the largest online electronics retailers may consider themselves lucky if they receive one or two units of the latest components .

Dave James is full of shit:

Not exactly sure what your trying to say, my link didn't go to pcgamer and the nvidia investors conference slide I linked was using global steam data to show how ampere compared to turing and pascal even with the crazy prices has sold twice aswell. By using steam they also avoided including pro miners aswell because they they wont have steam installed (not even windows on the bigger rigs).

Last edited:

hlm666

Was notoriously reported as "piece of shit" in terms of estimating sales (by AMD).
We can trust them, or not trust them and believe that more 2080Tis than 5700XTs have been sold.
Are you trying to say the steam hardware survey doesn't report AMD hardware properly? I've got no idea where this 2080ti vs 5700xt stuff has come from wasn't anything I posted or linked to. Can you just link me to the article reporting the piece of shit estimated sales by AMD, it'll probably make whatever your trying to say clearer.

llien

Are you trying to say the steam hardware survey doesn't report AMD hardware properly?

AMD rep said it does not report AMD hardware properly. That they contacted (lazy ass) Valve about it, some of it, but not all of it was fixed.

Can you just link me to the article reporting the piece of shit estimated sales by AMD
It was in one of the videos by their "jebaited" marketing guy. I don't remember which one it was and am too lazy too look it up.

People who are fine with taking "more 2080Tis than 5700XTs have been sold", are free to believe so.
I've linked actual sales by a popular German online store that shows a rather different picture, they ship around half a million of GPUs annually, but again, up to whomever to believe or not believe the figures.

A typical week from pre Ampere/RDNA times (2080Ti is not in the list as it didn't make it into top 5):

Last edited:

GMAK2442

I think that custom builds, the not fake, are like custom cars made by possibly heroes such as Saleen mustang. And really worth it. I think that chips makers are all heroes ;)

mr.dilya

Banned
Being very honest here.....I enjoy PC gaming a bit more than console gaming.....but I think I'm going to go either with a XSX or PS5 (still undecided) as my go to for next gen gaming. I'm not in any kind of rush so it's not crucial.

Say what you want but the PC gaming crew can't argue with the console crew anymore when they say PC gaming involves too much BS and hassle. It absolutely does.

Haggard

Banned
I bought a 2080s on a whim because I was too impatient to wait for the 3xxx cards. Bless my own weakness, I guess....

Now If only I´d have done the same with my CPU :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Say what you want but the PC gaming crew can't argue with the console crew anymore when they say PC gaming involves too much BS and hassle. It absolutely does.
Nonsense...the consoles have the exact same issues right now. Try buying an XSX or PS5 at MSRP......

Last edited:
Being very honest here.....I enjoy PC gaming a bit more than console gaming.....but I think I'm going to go either with a XSX or PS5 (still undecided) as my go to for next gen gaming. I'm not in any kind of rush so it's not crucial.

What hassle ? This isnt going to last for all eternity. Its a bump in the road. Think that the new consoles are more than twice slower than parts today. More than 2 times slower, with shit RT and everything else that bad about consoles. Say things settle down as this year moves along and next year things are better, you'll be able to put together a nice system. The gpu level these consoles are at, 5700XT/2070 is 2016 level of performance. I know people like to say how these consoles are on the higher end, but their not. They're lower middle end today. 5 years ago they would have been high end

Kuranghi

Its fucking insane that a good 970 variant (ie not just the cheapest one) was £270 on launch, imagine getting a 3070 for that. The old days are gone and the dark days are upon us now, I paid £500 for my GTX 1080 in 2018 which seems reasonable for the jump up but I can't justify £800 for a GPU at this time.

Is is likely the 4000 series will be stupid money like the 2000 series was? I wonder if 3000 series will be the better buy at the end of 2022.

Kuranghi

Thats possibly just because you are reading enthusiast forums where nerds like myself are going on about framepacing/stuttering issues and crap like that. Those issues exist 10x as bad on console and can't be fixed usuall so if you didn't notice/weren't bothering by them there then you won't care on PC.

Outside of that stuff its mostly going to be when trying to run the games at super high resolutions or framerates where all these problems come in, because the devs didnt optimise for those output modes so you need to brute force through that with an overkill GPU. If you want to play at 1440p60 or 4K30, or don't mind turning down a few graphics settings (Which would probably still put them at or above console level settings) to get to 4K60 then you don't need to do any work at all.

What you do need to do is understand what graphics settings mean and how they affect framerate, but surely thats par for the course on any complex hobby? If you go out hunting and you don't know how to handle a firearm properly its going to go badly, same with this, but you just have to do a bit of reading (30 mins tops) and you will have a basic understanding of what you should be changing.

You can always ask us as well, get an answer in 2 mins but like all things if you learn the basic underlying concepts you'll not run into problems when what you are trying to do goes outside emulating what you've seen others do. If you want the best IQ you have to work for it, but not as much as people make out, most of the "0.1% situation" complaining is not even something most people need to worry about.

Bitcoin at 60k and rising surely doesnt help.

Between scalpers and miners, plus shortage due to the pandemic, it couldnt be any different.

There are a lot of factors influencing the price of graphics cards right now. The individual consumer has no competitive advantage against any of these multi-million dollar businesses that are hoarding all of the video cards. Right now the cheapest way to get a video card is to buy a fully built PC, and that's similar in the way that a PS5 is a very reasonable option compared to building a PC right now. There is a major competitive disadvantage for consumers.

Azzurri

I was extremely lucky and picked up a eVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra at MSRP is Jan.

Man even in like 3 months those prices sky rocketed from already insane scalping prices.

mr.dilya

Banned
Thats possibly just because you are reading enthusiast forums where nerds like myself are going on about framepacing/stuttering issues and crap like that. Those issues exist 10x as bad on console and can't be fixed usuall so if you didn't notice/weren't bothering by them there then you won't care on PC.

Outside of that stuff its mostly going to be when trying to run the games at super high resolutions or framerates where all these problems come in, because the devs didnt optimise for those output modes so you need to brute force through that with an overkill GPU. If you want to play at 1440p60 or 4K30, or don't mind turning down a few graphics settings (Which would probably still put them at or above console level settings) to get to 4K60 then you don't need to do any work at all.

What you do need to do is understand what graphics settings mean and how they affect framerate, but surely thats par for the course on any complex hobby? If you go out hunting and you don't know how to handle a firearm properly its going to go badly, same with this, but you just have to do a bit of reading (30 mins tops) and you will have a basic understanding of what you should be changing.

You can always ask us as well, get an answer in 2 mins but like all things if you learn the basic underlying concepts you'll not run into problems when what you are trying to do goes outside emulating what you've seen others do. If you want the best IQ you have to work for it, but not as much as people make out, most of the "0.1% situation" complaining is not even something most people need to worry about.

I hear you and I’m still gonna game on my Pc while my 5700xt will last me....I don’t really mind playing with settings and stuff like that......but when it’s time to upgrade my system I don’t want to deal with all this inventory shortage madness, price gouging, etc.

You gotta reaaaallly be an enthusiast to tolerate it, and I’ll be honest I’m just not THAT into the hobby like I was when I was younger. Too much other stuff going on. That’s why I think it’s more practical to settle with a console.

mr.dilya

Banned
What hassle ? This isnt going to last for all eternity. Its a bump in the road. Think that the new consoles are more than twice slower than parts today. More than 2 times slower, with shit RT and everything else that bad about consoles. Say things settle down as this year moves along and next year things are better, you'll be able to put together a nice system. The gpu level these consoles are at, 5700XT/2070 is 2016 level of performance. I know people like to say how these consoles are on the higher end, but their not. They're lower middle end today. 5 years ago they would have been high end

Idk man....it’s April and there’s no end in sight.

Ps5 is hard to get yeah but just as an example I know someone right now who can get me one, I’m just not in a rush.

mr.dilya

Banned
I bought a 2080s on a whim because I was too impatient to wait for the 3xxx cards. Bless my own weakness, I guess....

Now If only I´d have done the same with my CPU :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nonsense...the consoles have the exact same issues right now. Try buying an XSX or PS5 at MSRP......

I can get a ps5 right now for a little bit above MsRP. Meanwhile GPU will cost you yourfirst born. Sorry but that’s just ridiculous.

Idk man....it’s April and there’s no end in sight.

Ps5 is hard to get yeah but just as an example I know someone right now who can get me one, I’m just not in a rush.

its probably not gonna change this year. But its not gonna be forever. Next year then. We're not gonna live in covid world forever and supply will eventually catch to demand for everything, consoles, gpus

Haggard

Banned
I can get a ps5 right now for a little bit above MsRP. Meanwhile GPU will cost you yourfirst born. Sorry but that’s just ridiculous.
The consoles are still near or even above the ~180% MSRP range in most of Europe and the US. Nice for you that you could get one cheaper, but let`s not pretend that`s anything but anecdotal evidence....
The hardware prices/availabilities are fucked up for CPUs, GPUs and consoles alike......

well, at least consoles can`t be used for mining and thus have a chance to recover in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Sold my 5700-XT after major driver issues heading into lockdown after 2 weeks to buy up a cheap GTX 970 only for a month later the same 5700-XT was going for 800 pounds on Ebay.

Top Bottom