• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Bore [Now on Steam!] Anthropomorphic Metroidvania Boars

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
vWg9VxH.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Info Box |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Price: $15
Platforms: PC, Linux
Desura Link: http://www.desura.com/games/full-bore
Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/264060/
Main Website (You can also buy it from here): http://www.wholehog-games.com/fullbore/

Watch the trailer (seriously, watch it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXhOyTD6Tik

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| What is this? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is how the developers would describe it themselves and I'll just paste that here since I feel it describes the game rather aptly:
Deep underground lies a reminder of Boarkind’s darkest hours. All it takes is one little boar to dig it back up. A block puzzler with an exploratory twist, Full Bore throws the player into an open world filled with crumbling mines, arcane ruins, and technological wonders with only curiosity to lead the way. This world is packed to the brim with secrets and hidden rooms, because when everything is made of blocks, puzzles could be anywhere.

Full Bore rewards curiosity and thought. The player is free to explore a large open world, where they can find secret treasures and uncover mysteries by solving puzzles built into the environment. The game world is made of many different block types, and each type has its own unique behavior. Some blocks are simple and can be pushed or dug out, while others are complex machines that move on their own. Interaction between different blocks creates new and different barriers and bridges for the player, with each new block building on the challenges of the previous blocks. As the player explores, they encounter and master new blocks, which in turn allows the player to open new paths. This means that the ability to explore is based primarily on what the player has learned about the world, and not a sequence of arbitrary goals.

It should be mentioned however, that this game is currently only the first part and the second part releases later this year, but if you buying it now gets you both parts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Media |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Impressions |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toma said:
guys guys guys. Full Bore is massively awesome. Since the exploration is basically mostly based on your own curiosity, most of the game feels really open. I also love how the game constantly rewards you with hidden rooms and secrets if you decide to go out of your way and try to figure out how to reach that far off ledge over there. The controls take a bit getting used to, because the game is very fluid, yet grid-snapped, meaning you dont control the movement directly, but rather just push the character to one of the adjacent grids or that you wont reach a higher block by "jumping" with space or up, but instant press forward + up. Its not bad however, as I said, it just needs some time to gel.
Oh and I absolutely love the animations and art style, way too charming:
i88ZU2zUkusFm.gif

Nine months after a successful Kickstarter campaign, Whole Hog Games have released their puzzle adventure game Full Bore. It's a charming game that combines tricky block based puzzles with open world exploration and an interesting story.
I definitely agree with Toma on the animations: very charming and cute and adds tons of character to the game. The world really is sprawling, just many many interconnected areas, each large on their own but combined make the whole environment feel that much bigger.
So for the current price, you got a good amount of content and a fun game and even more content on the way. I definitely recommend Full Bore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Quick FAQ |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will I get a Steam Key?
The developers said they will provide Steam keys to all their backers, so I assume Steam keys for the website/Desura purchases are likely too.

There is some racing in the trailer, is that the main part of the game?

No. Its only one challenge, most of the game is based around critical thinking, puzzles and exploration rather than reflexes.

The game is split in two parts? So I need to buy the second one when it comes out?
As I said above, you will get the second part for free and your version will be updated for free once the second part is out. Not anymore! Buy the game, play 40 hours of digging puzzle fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monthly Indie thread with more awesome games that no one has heard of:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688767

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For emphasis: The sale for the game lasts another 160 hours. Here are some more gifs:
Yup!
iFqfhX4VXzT7e.gif

I also like the boar's leaning over:
izn6C63mrTK1Y.gif

Spinning dive!
iVUTuKlN12D15.gif

Idle animation:
iTUKMr30GrBwB.gif

Impressions:
Nine months after a successful Kickstarter campaign, Whole Hog Games have released their puzzle adventure game Full Bore. It's a charming game that combines tricky block based puzzles with open world exploration and an interesting story.

637x358.resizedimage

You're just a lonely boar who finds himself trapped in the mysterious mining operation deep beneath the earth. Weird machinery and logs of anomalies hint at some unnatural happenings in the tunnels and bored out caverns and as your adventure progresses, the pieces slowly come together. The world of Full Bore is sprawling and expansive and quite pretty, stretching from dark lava filled depths to the sunny green surface; doorways found throughout the world lead to puzzle filled rooms and other areas. Puzzles revolve around pushing and manipulating blocks, each with their own properties and function, as well as exploring and digging your way to new areas. A wonderful lighting system gives each location its own atmosphere and ambiance.

637x358.resizedimage

Right now, purchasing Full Boar gives you the first half of the game, titled The First Dig, which offers about seven hours of puzzles and exploration. The second half will be added later in an update and will include even more diverse locations such as ancient trap filled temples, abandoned industrial ruins, and more of the surface wilderness.

I definitely agree with Toma on the animations: very charming and cute and adds tons of character to the game. The world really is sprawling, just many many interconnected areas, each large on their own but combined make the whole environment feel that much bigger.

So for the current price, you got a good amount of content and a fun game and even more content on the way. I definitely recommend Full Bore

Toma

Added that bit to the Impressions in the OP.

Toma

Thanks for the thread! Will need to pick this up

If you end up buying it, please post some impressions. This thread will die horribly anyway, so a few additional bumps certainly would help the game.

So from what I am reading, in a lot of ways this is basically a prettier Knytt/Knytt Stories. Looks a lot like it too, that's no insult or anything.

So from what I am reading, in a lot of ways this is basically a prettier Knytt/Knytt Stories. Looks a lot like it too, that's no insult or anything.
Not really. While both may be Metrovania style games and exploration centric, Full Bore is not really a platformer, more focused on puzzles. You're not jumping across gaps or over traps or anything like that. The pace is methodical and slower due to puzzle-centric gameplay, allowing you to take in the atmosphere and art style, explore at your leisure. I find the slower gameplay a nice change of pace after coming from Dustforce and Spelunky.

Toma

It shares the focus on exploration, yeah, but Full Bore is way heavier on puzzles while you explore.

Edit: What Badass said.

Toma

Anywhere to buy it except Desura?

Their main website, but its more expensive there atm (They just updated the price, so its now 5$ on their website as well):
http://www.wholehog-games.com/fullbore/

Plus, apparently Badass caught wind of Full Bore being added to the IndieGameStand store eventually (The store, not the 1$ weekly deal thing).

Their main website, but its more expensive there atm (They just updated the price, so its now 5$ on their website as well):
http://www.wholehog-games.com/fullbore/

Plus, apparently Badass caught wind of Full Bore being added to the IndieGameStand store eventually (The store, not the 1$ weekly deal thing).
Yeah I asked on Twitter and they responded it would be on the store around October 2nd. And then in another post:
We just submitted Full Bore to the new @IndieGameStand store

Toma

Wow, holy wow.

For those who already started playing:
These laser puzzle rooms once they start becoming more... involved. Devious as hell.

Toma

Toma

One of the more traditional brain teasers:

Now that I solved that part, I wonder whether there are multiple solutions to this.

Noogy

Wow, this looks sort of fantastic. Would have instabuy'd on Steam, but I see they are selling it for $5 directly from their site so I might pick it up tonight.

I can't tell from the images/video, but is there a random element to the map layouts?

Edit: Oh, I guess the $5 is just for 'First Dig', the first part of the game? $8 gives you parts 1 and 2, the second of which isn't released? Confused.

Toma

Watched a gamespot dev commentary playthrough... so good. I want it on Vita bad, but would already own it if it was on Steam. This game should have bypassed the Greenlight process like some stuff has.

Even it it released on Steam, it wont be much cheaper than this for a while and since this will likely get you a Steam key as well, it wouldnt hurt to buy it now if you want the game.

Wow, this looks sort of fantastic. Would have instabuy'd on Steam, but I see they are selling it for $5 directly from their site so I might pick it up tonight.

I can't tell from the images/video, but is there a random element to the map layouts?

Nope, handcrafted.

And fyi, these are some known areas that will be in the second half:

The Wider World:
Frolic in golden fields of flowers, worm your way through the warrens of the moles, and square off against runaway mining equipment.
b566f752604d754ad69bc8cfc50385d1_large.png

Temple:
Varaha, the mysterious second foreman of Full Bore Mining Co. has been on an extended investigation of the ancient ruins past The Big Door. These ruins contain a ominous blend of old stones, new technology and perilous traps.
6c9e630e9b5ca86e04dd525d839b8368_large.png

Mechanical Castle:
Deep in the industrial bowels of a ruined civilization, an evil festers and long-dead machines have awoken to serve its dark purpose.
9913386b0f5f246097f4713d7d1b2a85_large.png

Toma

Ah I didn't know this was a half-now situation. I might be able to pick it up at the end of the week.

Sorry, if thats not too clear in the OP, but at least the second part wont be far off.

Toma

Even so the first half is not lacking content. You get a solid 6-8 hours of content

Actually, I am not sure how to interpret that part on their website. Could be 6-8 for both and First dig is the first half of that, but even then this isnt a bad deal. I like the game very much so far, and its certainly worth its money. Should finish it today or tomorrow, cant wait for the second part to release.

rybrad

I am pretty stupid and not great at puzzle games (except things like Portal), how hard are the puzzles in this game? It looks interesting but with a lot of puzzle type games I can only play the first third to half of the game before I get completely stuck and give up.

Toma

I am pretty stupid and not great at puzzle games (except things like Portal), how hard are the puzzles in this game? It looks interesting but with a lot of puzzle type games I can only play the first third to half of the game before I get completely stuck and give up.

Pretty sure the game has the potential to become very hard later on, but the first part of the game seems doable so far. Most of the exploration is puzzle based (how do I get from A to B), but the room I showed you above was the first part where I was stuck for a few minutes figuring out how to reach the left side of the screen.

Pretty sure the game has the potential to become very hard later on, but the first part of the game seems doable so far. Most of the exploration is puzzle based (how do I get from A to B), but the room I showed you above was the first part where I was stuck for a few minutes figuring out how to reach the left side of the screen.
I agree. The early puzzles are definitely there to teach you the basics but they do get more challenging and you'll have to think about a number of variables: how to position blocks and where they'll end up if you move something, the blocks' functions and relationship with other blocks, how your actions will affect the environment.

Toma

The more I play, the more I see the high quality of this game, especially in level design. Kinda weird, it wouldnt show you a total of gems/doors missing for the whole game though.

rybrad

I agree. The early puzzles are definitely there to teach you the basics but they do get more challenging and you'll have to think about a number of variables: how to position blocks and where they'll end up if you move something, the blocks' functions and relationship with other blocks, how your actions will affect the environment.
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like this would end up being another half-finished game for me unfortunately.

epmode

I hate playing a 2D game on a 360 pad but

1. This only has XInput support so it won't detect my Saturn USB pad without x360ce

2. It has more binds than the Saturn pad has buttons

so I keep bumping into stuff using my 360 controller.

Otherwise, it seems like a good time. I like the sprites and it plays nicely so far.

1. This only has XInput support so it won't detect my Saturn USB pad without x360ce

Otherwise, it seems like a good time. I like the sprites and it plays nicely so far.
Why use a pad for this? I usually prefer a pad but the controls here are so simple. Arrow keys, a ground pound button, and a use button. IMO it works just fine with a keyboard

Toma

As Badass said, I am also using a keyboard as its basically a grid based game and doesnt require much reflexes. Once I got used to the controls, it flows really quite nicely.

The guitarist hits notes out of key like... Multiple times
Its also a tad monotonous, but you can turn off the music at least, I think the sound
effects work quite well with the game though.

epmode

Why use a pad for this?

2D side scrolling game? Even though it's not very action-heavy, I'd much rather sit back with a pad for something like this.

So long as the Look Around functions aren't too important, I can just leave them out of my custom Saturn binds and I should be OK.

Toma

Why use a pad for this? I usually prefer a pad but the controls here are so simple. Arrow keys, a ground pound button, and a use button. IMO it works just fine with a keyboard

How far did you get btw? Just got my second orb and
found the first warp statue ... and strange things happening

Toma

2D side scrolling game? Even though it's not very action-heavy, I'd much rather sit back with a pad for something like this.

So long as the Look Around functions aren't too important, I can just leave them out of my custom Saturn bind and I should be OK.

They definitely help because you'll need to plan your route through the levels, but I dont think they are necessary to complete it.

Random aside: Are you playing with the dpad or stick? Because since its 1 tap per step, I imagine playing with the stick being a bit imprecise.

epmode

Random aside: Are you playing with the dpad or stick? Because since its 1 tap per step, I imagine playing with the stick being a bit imprecise.

The 360 pad has the worst dpad on earth so I'm using the stick. And you're absolutely right about it being imprecise. That's why I like to avoid it.

It would be nice if the devs gave a toggle that switches control of the dpad to the camera. Press it again to go back to your dude. That way 4 binds become 1 and the Saturn pad will work.

I GUESS I COULD TRY THE KEYBOARD

Toma

What this game is really good at, is letting the player explore at his own leisure, even if that means the player ignores some passages that might be solvable, only to return there 3 hours later to notice that this part wasnt unsolvable and you could have done that 5 minutes after the game starts, all the while making you feel awesome about solving the puzzle:

Didnt even notice its a puzzle when I first passed it right at the beginning. This game is so good.

Top Bottom