• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Indie Summit: Nintendo's Presentation

serplux

full-indie-summit-page-header.png

The Full Indie Summit at Rio Theater in Vancouver occurred today (with an admission price of $10), filled with five hours of lectures by a variety of people involved with the independent game industry. One of the speakers included Dan Adelman, your resident Nintendo indie contact. A summary of his presentation:

vGKpAO4.jpg

lbrGe5Q.jpg

OLstdSd.jpg

F2x8zqv.jpg

moFcIRM.jpg

ZCBuKCu.jpg

weyM9Sc.jpg

ngQlYNZ.jpg

xBn1zGQ.jpg

01uyn9Q.jpg

Wii U Developer Application link: https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Good stuff. Loving this:

F2x8zqv.jpg

This should attract those who can't afford taking big risks.

Thanks OP.

Really nice to see Nintendo doing right by Indie devs after the horror stories I've heard about WiiWare. The majority of my Wii U purchases have been eShop games so hopefully it continues to get good support.

Penguin

Now they need to actively advertise these ventures.

I think they should have a special indie Nintendo Direct before their e3 presser.. if they have the content.

Paz

It's all pretty exciting really, I registered interest when they chucked up the website during GDC, but I haven't heard back in nearly a month now. Wonder if they are getting slammed or just didn't like my team..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sounds like a great platform for indies, putting significant control in the hands of developers. Good shit, Nintendo.

hatchx

Banned
I'm looking forward to see the fruits of this movement. I can only hope by this time next year the eshop is getting flooded with great titles.

Somnia

It's all pretty exciting really, I registered interest when they chucked up the website during GDC, but I haven't heard back in nearly a month now. Wonder if they are getting slammed or just didn't like my team..

Contact Dan directly as the tweets stated?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
They need to sell hardware to truly help Indies and until they relase big AAA games thats not happening.

So why are the indies putting their game on the Vita ?

Sounds like the Wii U is a good platform for them too. Hope we get to see more stuff coming out for it from all sides.

Because Sony has the Vita, PS3, and PS mobile? Many of the Vita idies also are available on the PS3. Some even have cross buy. Nintendo fucked up on the Wii and no real account system possibly hurt itself with indies on the Wii U.

Instro

Odd that this is the area of gaming that Nintendo is doing well in, maybe it will be a road to salvation for them to some degree as they look for games to fill up the calendar. With all this push for Unity, I wonder if Nintendo has interest in trying their hand with it. They have a ton of tiny teams that could release games using the engine, and perhaps share their knowledge/tools with indies using Unity.

hatchx

Banned
Because Sony has the Vita, PS3, and PS mobile? Many of the Vita idies also are available on the PS3. Some even have cross buy. Nintendo fucked up on the Wii and no real account system possibly hurt itself with indies on the Wii U.

It's like a broken record in Wii threads. We get it. They don't have accounts, and Wii U doesn't have a lot of games.

....every Nintendo thread I swear.

It's like a broken record in Wii threads. We get it. They don't have accounts, and Wii U doesn't have a lot of games.

....every Nintendo thread I swear.

I was asked WHY indie games are on Vita which isnt selling well while many are not on te Wii U. I offered my thoughts which include a reason being the lack of account system. Don't like it don't respond.

ash_ag

Uh, people only hear what they want, or is it just me? Obviously, it's not yet fully running, but the current Nintendo ecosystem is supposed to fully evolve robustly in time and all signs are showing that. What's unreal about it anyway? Not being able to sign in with the same account on other consoles yet? That's the problem? Miiverse is coming everywhere, and it's silly to think accounts won't eventually be well-defined through their platforms by that time.

Uh, people only hear what they want, or is it just me? Obviously, it's not yet fully running, but the current Nintendo ecosystem is supposed to fully evolve robustly in time and all signs are showing that. What's unreal about it anyway? Not being able to sign in with it on other consoles? That's the problem? Miiverse is coming everywhere, and it's silly to think accounts won't eventually be well-defined through their platforms by that time.

Well considering that the NES games I bought on the 3DS are having to be bought again for the Wii U, I'd say that unified account system is still a ways away. Perhaps when it arrives and Nintendo allows people to have a buy once and play on both console/handheld for all virtual network games and even some e-Store ones then you can talk.

I applaud nintendo's handling of Indies so far on the Wii U and it's effort to streamlining their online systems but it's not there atm so it's a valid criticism regardless of how many times they say its coming.

ash_ag

Well considering that the NES games I bought on the 3DS are having to be bought again for the Wii U, I'd say that unified account system is still a ways away. Perhaps when it arrives and Nintendo allows people to have a buy once and play on both console/handheld for all virtual network games and even some e-Store ones then you can talk.

So, the 3DS doesn't have a real account system. The Wii U is a different console, but fair enough. I'm also bothered by the fact that the accounts haven't been brought to the 3DS yet and hopefully that will change soon.

big youth

Sounds like the Wii U is a good platform for them too. Hope we get to see more stuff coming out for it from all sides.

I'm wondering the same thing. is Sony incentivizing in some way? I'm guessing so

serplux

I applaud nintendo's handling of Indies so far on the Wii U and it's effort to streamlining their online systems but it's not there atm so it's a valid criticism regardless of how many times they say its coming.

ron-paul.gif

Miiverse is coming for the 3DS sometime in the future, so we'll likely see an account system by then. We'll see some more features on both consoles that we don't have right now. For example, Adelman has stated that the eShops are going to get additional features. Whether or not we'll have cross-buy is left up in the air.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I already have Trine 2, Little Inferno, Chasing Aurora, Zen Pinball, Nano Assault Neo, Bit Trip Runner 2, Toki Tori 2 and Kung Fu Rabbit. The later is an interesting case, I didn't get it for my iPad, yet GamePad ergonomics made me buy it, and I'm glad I did.

Indie + GamePad: you get my money.

stryke

I'm wondering the same thing. is Sony incentivizing in some way? I'm guessing so

Vita SDK is very easy to work with and well streamlined with PS3. So if they're going to put an indie title on PS3, may as well just put it on Vita and go for YOPO.

Top Bottom