• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Speed DS Emulator released on Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drastic

DraStic is a fast Nintendo DS emulator for Android. In addition to being able to play Nintendo DS games full speed on many Android devices it has the following features:
- Customize the placement and size of the DS screens, for portrait and landscape modes
- Fully supports add-on controllers, and physical controls in devices like nVidia Shield and Xperia Play
- Save and resume your progress anywhere with save states
- Tweak your gaming experience with a database of thousands of cheat codes
- Synchronize your save games with your online Google Drive space
- Increase emulation speed with fast-forward
NOTE: DraStic requires Nintendo DS BIOS image files to operate. These must be legally obtained from a Nintendo DS. Please see our FAQ (http://drastic-ds.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2&p=2#p2) for more information.
NOTE: Android devices using Tegra 2 are not supported by this emulator. We've attempted to blacklist these devices, but if you still have one that is not blacklisted do not purchase this emulator.
DraStic is only intended for play of private backups of legally acquired Nintendo DS games. This product is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo in any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9z_XETAM9A

According to reports it works flawlessly on the HTC One, Nexus 7 2013 and many other devices. Please understand if old.

Different views:

L5VA528h.png

E8d1Ia0h.png

unHQu4i.jpg

DF0LiPhh.png

Johnson81

Neo Member
Exophase was a regualr on the Open Pandora website. Tried this on my Pandora and it actually works pretty well, considering I was using an 800mhz mini pc. I'll have to try it on my S4 at some pint. An android device with controls would world brilliantly.

zewone

Vertical looks pretty nice.

This should be great for Pokemon games, other RPGs, or anything where you don't really need precision timing.

Brofield

All I can think of are those times I was watching cutscenes that used both screens at once and cursing that damn strip of plastic inbetween the two screens that disconnected them.

Ty4on

On a 5 inch screen, each half would probably not be too far removed from a DS Lite screen size and would probably still be higher res.

Much higher res. You can almost fit the two DS screens on the 3DS' top screen. It was just 192x256 and the Moto X with its 1280x720 screen was called mid range :p

Khrno

Ugh, it's $8. Would have bought it if I had a newer phone but worried that my GN might not be able to handle it.

It costs money? So then it means that it is licensed by Nintendo and that's why they are charging so they can pay for the license they got from the original hardware manufacturer?

Orayn

It costs money? So then it means that it is licensed by Nintendo and that's why they are charging so they can pay for the license they got from the original hardware manufacturer?

Emulators are legal and potentially allowed to charge if they're all original work and don't include any copyright content from the makers of the original system. In this case, the emulator needs a real DS BIOS to function, but that's not provided or being sold.

Seik

Banned
I bought a Acekart 2i in order to rip my cartridges to my PC and never managed to make that shit work. Seems complicated, but I'll manage to do it sooner or later, after all I managed to do it with the Dreamcast and it's broadband adapter, I guess it's just motivation that's missing for the moment. :\

I'll be more interested in this when I'll be able to make everything work.

Alchemy

This is pretty cool. I love stocking up emulators on my phone then never using them because I own the actual device and form factor of a smartphone is total balls for playing good video games.

But I guess doing a Silver/Gold Nuzlocke while I poop sounds fun.

Khrno

Oh, so the DS is already an abandoned platform and that's why it must be preserved digitally on Android platforms?

Emulators are legal and potentially allowed to charge if they're all original work and don't include any copyright content from the makers of the original system. In this case, the emulator needs a real DS BIOS to function, but that's not provided or being sold.

I guess that makes sense.

Portugeezer

Virtual buttons overlayed on the touch screen area? Color me skeptical.

There are some good touch only games on the DS however, I think it could be good for that.

Zelda games would be cool to try, however in Phantom Hourglass and I think in other games too you have to physically close your DS to solve puzzles... how would that work?

Razorskin

----- ------

I have my doubts this is licensed by nintendo...

This product is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo in any way.

medze

Dunno how this will work for any games that require quick and responsive controls but sounds pretty awesome for Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and other similar games.

Orayn

Oh, so the DS is already an abandoned platform and that's why it must be preserved digitally on Android platforms?

I could potentially release a legal emulator for the PS3 or Xbox 360 tomorrow if the parts I give away/sell don't include anything that someone else owns the exclusive rights to. As a general rule, the legality of an emulator is determined by all the nitty gritty details of how you achieve emulation, not the fact that you achieve it at all.

And the required bios is illegal to download in most major countries or requires a device that is illegal in most major countries to legally extract

Eh, it's a fine line. Kinda like selling pipes that could be used to smoke tobacco, or other things. The fact that they can be used in conjunction with something illegal doesn't always make them illegal to sell.

Dunno how this will work for any games that require quick and responsive controls but sounds pretty awesome for Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and other similar games.

Oh dang. Why didn't I think of this? Now I don't have to wait for that port of Phoenix Wright to Android that was never coming.

Khrno

I could potentially release a legal emulator for the PS3 or Xbox 360 tomorrow if the parts I give away/sell don't include anything that someone else owns the exclusive rights to. As a general rule, the legality of an emulator is determined by all the nitty gritty details of how you achieve emulation, not the fact that you achieve it at all.

Ok I understand, I just found it even more shadier trying to profit from it instead of just having it free.

Raonak

Banned
works perfectly. way better than any other NdS emu on android. perfect for playing the pokemon games.

Top Bottom