• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Unreal Engine 4 Elemental demo video running on PS4

omonimo

Banned
Easy there. Next gen consoles are released this fall not this month. They also recently scrapped GI which means they need to balance things differently.

The final kit will be released this summer or I'm wrong? I'm not expecting ps4 will beats an higher pc card but a lot of things appears quite raw....

Triple U

Banned
I literally couldn't finish because of how bad the frame rate was. Easily the worst nextgen demo shown on PS4. Unreal was never the king of graphics but holy shit. Wonder how the 680 version looks these days with the scaled back lighting.

Superflat

Regardless of how toned it is from a high end PC I was still impressed, but it didn't look as good as any of the games shown at the Playstation Meeting.

jaypah

I'm ready to see how will turn out on xbox 720 before to feel some panic...

your shit sandwich doesn't taste better just because you see someone else eating a shit sandwich but theirs has moldy bread.

note: i'm not saying either console is a shit sandwich!

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
hmmmm really makes me think ill just get a new awesome gpu around the ps4 launch. surely the 7 series nvidia will be out and it will make the ps4 look even weaker

your shit sandwich doesn't taste better just because you see someone else eating a shit sandwich but theirs has moldy bread.

note: i'm not saying either console is a shit sandwich!

This made me laugh a lot for some reason.

hmmmm really makes me think ill just get a new awesome gpu around the ps4 launch. surely the 7 series nvidia will be out and it will make the ps4 look even weaker

Wait until you see a lot of first party stuff before you make any decisions. First party is where consoles always shine.

Sorral

I dont know whate some of you guys smoke but it looks awesome to me

Me too. So much hyperbole in the first page.
At least, the average joe will get a better set of hardware now moving the goal development post way higher than it is right now.

thuway

A smarter man would buy the PS4 and purchase a new GPU two or three years into next gen's console life cycle. The PS4 should be able to keep up with PC gaming for a good year or two. Uber PC's with 400 dollar GPU's will be able to keep up (as long as the RAM amount is in check), but if you let the PS4 do it's thing, I think you will be surprised.

Xiaoki

Yeah stuff like this makes it look unoptimised and rushed.

That should be exceedingly obvious but, unfortunately, this is NeoGAF.

Instead we get some hyperbole about how this is some kind of empirical metric for the PS4s performance pinnacle. As if, this tech demo represents the PS4s graphical capabilities for its entire life span.

I expect that PC vs PS4 comparison picture to be trotted out in pretty much every PS4 discussion from now until it actually launches as some ridiculous way of showing just how inferior the PS4 is to PCs.

Espada

Wow, that is hideous. Epic did two things here: Turn off anyone interested in using UE4 for console development and make the PS4 look like a piece of crap. There's whole sections that look like they could be in a PS2 game or early 7th gen title.

Epic has to be tolling at this point, I mean just look at this shit:

ibpDwjQaS4zNUl.jpg

Looks like something straight from a PS2 game.

That shit is gross

I have to wonder if some of you are joking or just trying to make fun. It has been known this demo is not running on actual PS4 hardware. Not to mention being thrown together just for demo purposes without cleaning everything up.

People are surely reaching any chance they get if they think this is what represents the PS4's graphics capabilities.

test_account

XP-39C²
Its natural that it wont look as good as the PC version concidering the big difference in hardware power, but i still think the PS4 looks pretty good. I didnt study everything though, but just looking at it "casually" (or what i shall say), i think it looks pretty good.

Yeah, this is just confirmation :(

For those of you saying it doesn't look a lot worse, here's a comparison Captain Smoker made between the PC demo and the demo that was shown during Sony's event.

ue4.jpg

Whoever released that original shot screwed something up. I just went back and watched the video from the PlayStation meeting and you can see that there are textures actually present.
They're certainly there in the newest version that was just released as well. The texture in the PS4 version on the gate is different, but there are actual textures there. Same thing with the main character.

Here's a shot from the new version as well:

mijkil

Neo Member
I really cant understand what purpose this demo has, other than to make EPIC and ps4 look bad.

The original PC demo seemed entirely set up to show off the voxel cone real-time GI, without it, I'm pretty sure even the PC version would look mediocre.

As it stands it just looks like a bull-shot trailer of a high end AAA ps3 game, which is embarrassing considering some of the mouthwatering stuff we've already seen from other studios.

The PC version wasn't even the best looking thing ever when shown and now this looks noticeably worse, yikes
Also they skipped that huge pan around the environment to show off the scale in the PS4 version

i-Lo

Is this a by-product of a meltdown? Why don't you wait and get a 10 series card that'll make the PS4 look even weaker? What a weird comment. Comments like this reminds me sites like gametrailers and gamefaq forums. Sheesh.

Yeah, this is just confirmation :(

For those of you saying it doesn't look a lot worse, here's a comparison Captain Smoker made between the PC demo and the demo that was shown during Sony's event.

ue4.jpg

Here are some comparable PS3 games (done one hardware now 7 years old):

So looking at the second UE4 (PS4) screen and comparing them, at least in the stills, they don't look very different (aside from 1080p resolution and perhaps AA for UC2). After seeing the "Infiltrator" demo, this looks almost current gen and thus leads me to conclude that things can be refined further, especially, given that both GPUs support DX11 features and the one in console is much more customised.

Both PS4 and XB3 should be able to run the demo with added optimization, albeit without being able to match 680 pixel for pixel.

Vire

Is this a by-product of a meltdown? Why don't you wait and get a 10 series card that'll make the PS4 look even weaker? What a weird comment. Comments like this reminds me sites like gametrailers and gamefaq forums. Sheesh.

So looking at the second UE4 (PS4) screen and comparing them, at least in the stills, they don't look very different (aside from 1080p resolution and perhaps AA for UC2). After seeing the "Infiltrator" demo, this looks almost current gen and thus leads me to conclude that things can be refined further, especially, given that both GPUs support DX11 features and the one in console is much more customised.

Both PS4 and XB3 should be able to run the demo with added optimization.

Sony Santa Monica are god damn wizards!

Perkel

Banned

Both PS4 and XB3 should be able to run the demo with added optimization, albeit without being able to match 680 pixel for pixel.

Well it is tech demo. Purpose is different mostly meaning what you see is what is happening without baking stuff. GOW3 had ton of things baked into levels like AO.

I'm more curious why certain things were absent like that massive camera pan showing off the scale of the entire environment. Either they spent fuck all time doing the PS4 version and didn't optimise or something weird is going on.
But in the end it's a tech demo, it means shit all really

Jigolo

These screens just make me excited for SSM next engine. Dear god.

thuway

If people are willing to shit this hard on the PS4 demo, I can't wait till you all see what Durango is going to have.

maybe the demo doesn't run well on AMD hardware atm? BTW why did they remove most of the particles? I thought one of the main benefits of having a 176 GB bandwidth would lead to higher particle effects like the PS2!?

Reiko

Banned
maybe the demo doesn't run well on AMD hardware atm? BTW why did they remove most of the particles? I thought one of the main benefits of having a 176 GB bandwidth would lead to higher particle effects like the PS2!?

The original Elemental Demo was in 60fps (With framedrops).

This is in 30fps, with less particles, and framedrops.

thuway

This is a technical demonstration. A lot of the things happening are not exactly obvious to us as the general public. These sorts of demonstrations are supposed to show programmer's what is possible with the fixed function hardware.

With all that said, the downgrades to the PS4 version are something people will have to understand. The GTX 680 is a 500 dollar part. It costs more than the entire PS4 itself. The feat Sony pulled with the PS4 is nothing short of amazeballs if they price it properly.

Once final hardware hits Epic, and you see the engine running on it, you'll have a better idea of performance, but I want to leave you with one thought-

PC games launch all the time with horribly unoptimized frame rates. You can see frame rate improvements in the realm of up to 100% when new drivers and patches are launched. This will be no different.

dEvAnGeL

comparing this to the pc video is just a meltdown of some pc gamers and im a pc gamer, this is the reason some people that game on pc look so childish sometimes, of course it will look better on the pc but that much better? not really, keep in mind that if the ps4 is launched at the $400 dollars price that people are referring to the console will be much cheaper then a gtx680 alone

Dec

The PS4 demo has worse textures, missing dynamic lights in many scenes, depth of field completely removed, less particle effects, worse lens flares, and a worse framerate to top it off.

On the plus side, it got better textures since its first showing. Not looking good for UE4.

thuway

comparing this to the pc video is just a meltdown of some pc gamers and im a pc gamer, this is the reason some people that game on pc look so childish sometimes, of course it will look better on the pc but that much better? not really, keep in mind that if the ps4 is launched at the $400 dollars price that people are referring to the console will be much cheaper then a gtx680 alone

Precisely, and no one has 8 GB GDDR5 in their hands :). Developers won't be playing with that until after E3. Sony really has some of the most inaccurate "prototype" hardware out there.

The problem is you're bringing logic in here. I've made the same argument, but people don't care.

This comparison pic is just shocking

ue4.jpg

almost all the effects have been removed..no DOF, no particle effcts, worse lighting, worse shadowing....unbelievable

Top Bottom