• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumito Ueda on The Last Guardian: Knack and Puppeteer have priority at Japan Studio

We will get it soon enough. Believe in Verendus/famousmortimer. They are accurate.

Believe me, I'm seemingly one of the few people here who still has faith in The Last Guardian/Team ICO. If it wasn't happening then Sony wouldn't be continually reminding us of how it's still in development. The only time I gave up on the game was during E3 when Jack Tretton said it was on hiatus; a dark time which lasted a mere half an hour before Yoshida corrected him and said it was still being worked on.

Games in the last 2-3 months of its production almost always gets resources diverted away from other teams to crunch.

Big deal.

And honestly, I don't get the furor over TLG never being released. They would've scrapped the project if it really couldn't materialise, or at least rework the framework of the original vision into a more workable concept.

No different from how the original vertical slice of Bioshock Infinite was drastically different from the actual game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ugh. I would've cancelled this thing and put Ueda on a title with a much smaller scope ages ago.

Ponn

Banned
Games in the last 2-3 months of its production almost always gets resources diverted away from other teams to crunch.

Big deal.

And isn't that how Studio Japan works anyway? There's no real 'static teams', resources are easily shift-able depending on priority.

I feel the punchline some of you are missing is that he is saying a game that has been announced since the beginning of a generation is not prioritized over a couple of new games that weren't even concepts when TLG was announced. One of which is is a next gen game. People understand games that are coming out soon get prioritized with "crunch time", thats not the funny or non-comprehensible part. It's the when has TLG EVER had a priority part for the entire generation its been in development.

sonicmj1

I wouldn't have thought about it before this week, but right now The Last Guardian is kind of reminding me of the interview posted here recently between Iwata, Miyamoto, and Itoi about the cancellation of the N64 version of Mother 3 in 2000. That project died because a confident team saw new hardware, bit off more than it could chew, and refused to scale back when they hit impossible walls in their implementation.

Earthbound 64 Cancellation Interview said:
Iwata: The original theme we were going for was a major-league MOTHER product set free from any restrictions. Our defining concept was to make something without any boundaries.

Itoi: Like we were invincible.

Iwata: The hardware for the N64 was like a dream come true with all the new possibilities it opened up—it wasn’t immune to limits, though. There was still only so much we could do. When Miyamoto and all of us try to overcome those limitations, it may look like we’re gracefully swimming across the water, but underneath the surface we’re desperately paddling for our lives.

Itoi: We don’t look graceful! (laughs)

Iwata: It may not seem that way to those of us who know what’s happening on the inside, but it looks graceful to those who only see the final product. All they think is, “Wow!” Even though we’re flapping like wild fish underneath.

Miyamoto: You could say the staff had us in a choke-hold.

Iwata: More than half of our production time is spent on the uncreative parts of the game as we struggle within all the hardware constraints to make the game handle well—not look showy. But the fact that this is a product that Itoi and I are collaborating on creates some kind of enormous, inscrutable, vague power that makes us start it on the premise of creating something without anything holding us back. We should have known better halfway through, but once we get moving, we can’t get ourselves to tone it down, because it turns into an obligation to throw away things that we’ve made up to that point. If we’d toned it down two years ago, we’d have had two years’ worth to go back over, so the game would probably be out by now. But to throw away parts while the thing’s in motion takes tremendous courage that we didn’t have. We were in a role that required us to do that, though.

Maybe we'll see The Last Guardian come out in 2020 on the Vita 2.

Of course Puppeteer and Knack have priority. Puppeteer is about to go gold and Knack is less than 3 months away. Once those games are both done the priority would then shift. What is the harm in that? You really think they are going to remove people from Knack and Puppeteer to work on The Last Guardian during those games' crunch time?

I think The Last Guardian is dead - the tech probably ran like crap on PS3 and the game wasn't fun.

Ueda probably started working on a new game for PS4 after scrapping TLG

Alienous

I won't be happy if The Last Guardian doesn't see a release because Knack. Because fucking Knack.

I really hope we see it.

JCreasy

Real artists ship.

The Last Guardian should've never been revealed so early.

They should've waited. It would've made an awesome first time reveal for PS4.

.la1n

Real artists ship.

The Last Guardian should've never been revealed so early.

They should've waited. It would've made an awesome first time reveal for PS4.

Eh the name just gave people something to use in a sentence. If it had never been revealed we would have just seen everyone bitching about where the team ICO game is the entire PS3's life span.

Cyberia

By Martin Robinson Published Wednesday, 21 August 2013

2009 came and went without a peep, and now four years on from then we're still yet to see much more on The Last Guardian. It's safe to say that the Olympic cycle's been broken. So what's the latest word on the game?

"Yes, they are still working on it and we are still waiting to be able to relaunch," said a heavily jetlagged Yoshida in an interview this morning. At least it's still actively being worked on, which is some small progress on what we last heard. And will there be any update in the foreseeable future?

"Well, how do you define foreseeable?"

With the Tokyo Game Show only a few weeks away, I was kind of hoping for something before year's out. A pipe dream, maybe, but it's one worth holding on to.

"Before the end of the year? I won't really say," Yoshida replied.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-21-heres-your-regular-last-guardian-update

"Before the end of the year? I won't really say," Yoshida replied. .

53523-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Conan-Ba-hgfF.gif

'

Despera

Banned
I should probably note that it's even more dire than the thread title suggests. Ueda actually says that Knack, Puppeteer, and more unannounced title(s) at Japan Studio have priority over TLG.

But let's be honest here, he's not really saying anything surprising. If you were Sony, and you had to choose between giving development resources to a game which is stuck in conceptual hell and giving the resources to games which actually look like they can be finished and released shortly, what would you pick? Why throw good money after bad? If and when TLG actually shapes up into something which is more than an idea Ueda keeps reiterating on, I'm sure Sony will move resources to give the game what it needs.
Wonderfully put.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I swear, when this game finally gets "reintroduced" it's going to star a young Knight and the cat-bird Trico is going to be the major antagonist.

This game really should be called The Last Game.

Top Bottom