• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumito Ueda on The Last Guardian: Knack and Puppeteer have priority at Japan Studio

jett

D-Member
wat

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/21/46...s-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-and-the-still-in

And what about The Last Guardian, an ambitious game that's been subject to rumors of cancellation and/or a "hiatus" as recently as this June? "It's under earnest development," Ueda said. "However, SCE Japan Studio, who's working on The Last Guardian, also has titles like Puppeteer and Knack, and those are only the ones currently announced. Those are taking priority right now."

Earnest development, huh?

jblThYEXUzY02s.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have to believe its at TGS and re-announced for PS4 or Sony decides to make money from a pay-per-view public execution of all those involved or something.

Also SCEJ should jump right onto Gravity Rush 2 next.

kmax

" Those are taking priority right now "

In other words, it's most likely vaporware. The question is whenever it's worth it to breath life into it again for the PS4 or cancel it altogether.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ueda is too busy playing Candy Crush Saga.

Please understand.

Fuck's sake. I really hope development moves on to TLG after Knack is out the door. I mean, I don't even know anyone who's particularly interested in Knack besides being a technological curio (i.e. really nice particle effects) and a vague hope it's as good as Crash Bandicoot. But no way does it deserve to be prioritised over TLG :'(

Well both Puppeteer and Knack release in the next two months or so, so obviously they have priority.
The Last Guardian comes after those.
I'd even say that Ueda has been told to shit focus towards those particular titles, if questioned during Gamescom.

But this thread will be full of irrational ranting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why would those be given priority over The Last Guardian? Terrible.

Because they're launching shortly.

Japan Studio is basically one big studio that moves resources around as game schedules march on. More people get added to games coming out sooner, when that game is out they get reallocated to the next games etc. etc.

" Those are taking priority right now "

In other words, it's most likely vaporware. The question is whenever it's worth it to breath life into it again for the PS4 or cancel it altogether.

It just means that those are coming out this year, so Sony is obviously going to be putting more resources into them to make sure that they're ready. After what went on with Versus people should be more hesitant to call vaporware on something that simply hasn't been shown in awhile. If the game was dead then Sony would say it, just like they did with Warrior's Lair.

sublimit

Banned
Ueda has to be one of the worst project managers Sony has.

He's the lead game designer and director,not the project manager.
Kenji Kaido was the project manager but since he left i don't know who replaced him.Probably no one since the project is in limbo for years.

jett

D-Member
:lol How did some of you not get that he's talking 100% bullshit? Blaming the eternal development hell of TLG on games that have been more than comparatively recently announced is ridiculous.

krYlon

Well both Puppeteer and Knack release in the next two months or so, so obviously they have priority.
The Last Guardian comes after those.
I'd even say that Ueda has been told to shit focus towards those particular titles, if questioned during Gamescom.

But this thread will be full of irrational ranting.

Why are you so sure that The Last Guardian will come after those? How do you know they won't shift focus onto something else?
Since it's announcement The Last Guardian has perpetually been out of focus.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RIME will scratch that itch.

People are putting a lot of faith in the second game from the makers of Deadlight...

I loved the trailer, too, but replicating the magic of Ico is going to take more than simply wandering around a nice environment.

They're just taking out the trash first so that there's nothing in the way of Ueda's vision of the game.

I don't think Ueda has a vision for the game anymore. How could anyone work on something for so long, have it not come out right for so long, and still remain passionate and confident about the project? The fact that he's not a full-time Sony employee anymore further suggests he can't possibly be giving his all to TLG development.

"However, SCE Japan Studio, who's working on The Last Guardian, also has titles like Puppeteer and Knack, and those are only the ones currently announced. Those are taking priority right now."

So when Puppeteer and Knack are out, those currently unannounced titles will take priority over TLG, right?

Just show it at TGS 2013 please, we deserve that much ;(

Bundy

Banned
KNACK and Puppeteer are close to release.
You guys know how studios are working?
Close to release -> Priority 1

The amount of whining over TLG's lack of existence is crazy. We didn't even see any gameplay when they showed us trailers, I'd like the game to be released but complaining about other games getting priority when we don't even know if it actually still exists because Ueda's team suck at time management is just ridiculous.

Just hope that if/when it does release it isn't a colossal disappointment to the virtual pedestal that you've put it on.

The amount of whining over TLG's lack of existence is crazy. We didn't even see any gameplay when they showed us trailers, I'd like the game to be released but complaining about other games getting priority when we don't even know if it actually still exists because Ueda's team suck at time management is just ridiculous.

Just hope that if/when it does release it isn't a colossal disappointment to the virtual pedestal that you've put it on.

TLG, Half-Life 3, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy XV and the remake of Final Fantasy VII can only disappoint.

Why are you so sure that The Last Guardian will come after those? How do you know they won't shift focus onto something else?
Since it's announcement The Last Guardian has perpetually been out of focus.

Because it's not going to release before them.

TLG is obviously a hugely ambitious project, thus during it's development there are lots of smaller games being created and released. SCEJ shift their focus on each as it draws closer to release (the crunch period) because the teams help each other out. Once TLG is nearer to its release, I'd imagine most of SCEJ will put their efforts on getting it out as the 'priority'.

It'll be ready when it's ready, as they say.

Top Bottom