• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funding Campaign for Gay DatingSim/JRPG Fantastic Boyfriends Lauched, Gaffer Staffed!

scarlet

This will be the first full "real" bara game officially released in English to my knowledge, outside of small independent projects.

Coming Out On Top and No, Thank You!!! had bara dudes, but not the whole cast. (Though COOT is debatable depending on how strict your definition of the term is.)

Link to "No, thank you" please.

I love bara, and oh my Favnir...

Edit: Found it!

scarlet

Looks like a young adult to me. Late teens/early twenties I think. He just seems small in comparison to the suitors, which is a common trope in bara games.

Didn't I already show you that game scarlet? XD

No you haven't, and you know I love bara. I'm disappointed lol.

No you haven't, and you know I love bara. I'm disappointed lol.
I posted a bunch of stuff around GAF about it, sorry you missed it. I have mixed feeling about that game. Some parts I really loved, other stuff didn't sit well with me. I won't get into it here, but I'd advise looking into some impressions of the game's content before starting that one.

apricot

I've passed on some of your questions/concerns to the developers :) Please keep an eye on the Indiegogo page for more updates! In the future, the best way to have your voice heard is to comment directly on the Indiegogo page (which, unlike Kickstarter, you can do privately without having contributed to the campaign)

Here's some more artwork from the game. First, some of the side characters...

NA0uxxv.png

2Ksle3C.png

WAh82tY.png
(I'm hoping that both Leo and Doga become datable in a future expansion.)

Some of the enemies...

And a really cool feature, you can actually change the appearance of the hero and the datable dudes with different armor. Pretty unique for a VN, especially a 2D one.

You can see more characters and enemies on the Official English Website FYI.

Now we're talking.
As I said before, a Mentaiko designed game would be wondrous. His work tends to be really kinky though, so I imagine it would most likely be an H game. (It would almost be a waste otherwise...)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Even though I'm not interested in the gay dating aspect of the game, I'd love to support a 1) new game in my favorite genre 2) that does something different and has an LGBT focus and 3) is done by indie Japanese devs. But... mobile :( The one platform I'm just not interested in at all.

It'll be interesting playing a non-ero version of these games for once (even though I do enjoy the lewdness too). I think I'll throw some cash in the bin too.

It is a good start actually. I hope it keeps up, too!
Yeah, I'm happy to see it a quarter funded already only three days in. I do think though that they should start posting some more info about the game and start interacting more with the contributors. Constant dialogue is important in funding campaigns.

Hopefully the project can get some shoutouts from some of the larger campaigns running right now, that always helps a lot too.

Yeah, I'm happy to see it a quarter funded already only three days in. I do think though that they should start posting some more info about the game and start interacting more with the contributors. Constant dialogue is important in funding campaigns.

Hopefully the project can get some shoutouts from some of the larger campaigns running right now, that always helps a lot too.

They should get some interviews with Siliconera or some similar site with readers that would be in the target audience. I know in the past that reading interviews with devs and gaining perspective about the project has convinced me to look more into some games.

Seems interesting, I love bara, but have my limits with the levels of Beefcake. These guys are waaaay to beefcake for my tastes, it were one or two, sure, but game seems full if em. I guess I would give the protag and Favnir a pass.

I wish it the best of luck though and hope it gets funded.

Also, Hours Left, as soon as theres a game made by Takeshi Matsu or Mentaiko. You better let me know.... x-x

They should get some interviews with Siliconera or some similar site with readers that would be in the target audience. I know in the past that reading interviews with devs and gaining perspective about the project has convinced me to look more into some games.
Definitely. Any added exposure can only help, and since there's currently not very much media for the game online anywhere, I think any additional information would help convince people that are still unsure.

Seems interesting, I love bara, but have my limits with the levels of Beefcake. These guys are waaaay to beefcake for my tastes, it were one or two, sure, but game seems full if em. I guess I would give the protag and Favnir a pass.

I wish it the best of luck though and hope it gets funded.

Also, Hours Left, as soon as theres a game made by Takeshi Matsu or Mentaiko. You better let me know.... x-x
Well, the success of one bara game will hopefully lead to more. As I mentioned a few posts back, there's loads of amazing bara artists I would love to see get involved with game development. I'm always on the lookout for that. And the ones that already have, hopefully their works will make it over to the west too.

Mr_Zombie

No, it's an iOS/Android game. No nudity or sex.

This is about as racy as it gets to my knowledge...

KdHGuta.jpg

No more than your standard console fanservice game.

One thing I don't like about (some) bara artist - they draw characters in a very exaggerated way. Visible muscles everywhere (even old guys have bodies of body builders), small heads (to make the body look even bigger) etc. Why can't those guys look just like normal muscle bears? :(

The game itself sounds fine. I like the artstyle (well, besides what I wrote above, i.e. in the picture above Favnir looks as if he had 0% body fat - just muscles and skin) and the bartender looks cute. :3 Hope it will be funded.

One thing I don't like about (some) bara artist - they draw characters in a very exaggerated way. Visible muscles everywhere (even old guys have bodies of body builders), small heads (to make the body look even bigger) etc. Why can't those guys look just like normal muscle bears? :(

The game itself sounds fine. I like the artstyle (well, besides what I wrote above, i.e. in the picture above Favnir looks as if he had 0% body fat - just muscles and skin) and the bartender looks cute. :3 Hope it will be funded.

More muscle bears would definitely be appreciated in bara art.

That Favnir pic is probably the most extreme example of musculature in the game that I've come across. There's a bunch of CGs I can't post due to spoilers that are a bit more toned down. They're still really muscular obviously, (this is bara after all) but the physiques have a bit more "roundness" to them. And this game thankfully doesn't suffer from the small head syndrome you mentioned.

I haven't seen many Gordon CGs yet, but he does seem a bit more bear like. The game's artist (BomBom) does draw a lot of bear type bodies too in his other works. It makes sense to me that Favnir's body would be so tautly sculpted due to being a part time dragon.

someone skipped the human anatomy drawing classes
I get that this style (just like with anything) is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a bit perplexed by comments like this. Obviously the designs are exaggerated/stylized, a very common occurrence in game design. I don't think they were aiming for realism given the setting and overall aesthetic of the game. I personally feel like the quality of the art is very, very high. Leaps and bounds above a lot of half hearted work that gets pumped out, and for a mobile game no less, where a phoned in effort would normally not only be expected, but even encouraged by many companies.

I really wish I could post some of the more spoilery CGs here because a lot of them are phenomenal. This game has such a bright and magnetic style that harkened back to older JRPGs that I really hope people can support (or at least recognize) that, even if it's not to their particular taste.

so this style is called bara? can't say I'm feeling it aesthetically, also couldn't help but notice that there doesn't seems to be any reward tier that just gets you the game

Mr_Zombie

so this style is called bara? can't say I'm feeling it aesteticaly, also couldn't help but notice tyat there doesn't seems to be any reward tier that just gets you the game

No, bara is basically an art genre that focuses on male gay love and is targeted towards gay men (as opposed to yaoi that depicts gay love but is aimed at female audience). It usually depicts big, muscular and hairy guys.

I can only think of the Bioware games. And maybe Fallout. There are probably many more in JRPG, but obviously only in japan. =|
There's not many more anywhere. It's still sadly a very uncommon thing.

so this style is called bara? can't say I'm feeling it aesthetically, also couldn't help but notice that there doesn't seems to be any reward tier that just gets you the game
It's a type of bara, yes. Bara basically means gay themed content featuring muscular men.

As for the game, the initial download and first campaign was free in Japan, then you could buy more chapters if you wanted too, so I imagine it'll be the same here. This campaign is to mainly support the translation and if you're interested in any of the other rewards.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Does the campaign already have someone to localize the game? I'd offer my services for cheap. I did stuff like Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II, Monster Hunter 3, Hatsune Miku Project Diva, The Wonderful 101, Guilty Gear, Metal Gear Rising and tons of other stuff.

Kenai

Bara is definitely something the West needs more of. I'm not sure how much i will donate, but I certainly will.

Does the campaign already have someone to localize the game? I'd offer my services for cheap. I did stuff like Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II, Monster Hunter 3, Hatsune Miku Project Diva, The Wonderful 101, Guilty Gear, Metal Gear Rising and tons of other stuff.
Another gaffer, apricot, is actually helping with the translation. I'm not sure if it's a solo project or if she's part of a team though. You could always send them a message through their campaign page and inquire about it.

Link:
http://igg.me/p/fantastic-boyfriends/

Aokage

Another gaffer, apricot, is actually helping with the translation. I'm not sure if it's a solo project or if she's part of a team though. You could always send them a message through their campaign page and inquire about it.

Link:
http://igg.me/p/fantastic-boyfriends/

Thanks! I'll do just that. 400,000 characters is A LOT - like one translator working ten hours a day, seven days a week for three months.

dani_dc

Some more artwork to give people an idea of the type of CGs/characters the game has...

As I mentioned above there is no nudity in the game, but I added the star just so we don't skirt NeoGAF's rules. The original CG has a lot of lower abdomen showing.

The star makes it look "dirtier" :p
It has the same effect as bubbling.

Thanks! I'll do just that. 400,000 characters is A LOT - like one translator working ten hours a day, seven days a week for three months.
That is quite a lot. I'm not sure if apricot can chime in and offer some perspective, but good luck with your offer. :)

The star makes it look "dirtier" :p
It has the same effect as bubbling.
It does give it a certain tabloid effect. I just don't know how much lower abdomen is too much lower abdomen for GAF, but seeing some of the stuff in certain other threads for games like Senran Kagura, it still is quite tame in comparison.

I hope you find someone that gets turned on by this resume in your personal life.

*fans self*

Aokage

I hope you find someone that gets turned on by this resume in your personal life.

*fans self*

Ha ha! That's really flattering. I have had, um, success? with fellow "gaymers" (still loathe that term).

Man, I'd love to work on this game. It's actually better written than tons of crap I've worked on.

Ha ha! That's really flattering. I have had, um, success? with fellow "gaymers" (still loathe that term).

Man, I'd love to work on this game. It's actually better written than tons of crap I've worked on.
That's really great to hear. It seems like a lot of care and attention has went into this game.

Would you mind giving some more impressions of the Japanese version? I'd be very interested to read them.

IvorB

Aw this is cute. :) All the guys look pretty hunky to me (apart from the monk but different strokes for different folks I guess). I don't really do this whole Kickstarter-type stuff but if it came out I would probably buy it. I can think of one particular portable platform this would be just perfect for...

18+ PC release and I'm there.
Interesting...reminds me slightly of a toned down Maison lol bummer it isn't a touch more risqué ��
I guess it's always possible. The artist of the game does make adult content too. I don't know if it would fit with the overall theme of the game though.

But this game is probably about as risqué as you can get with a mobile game as far as artwork goes. I don't want to post them here because of spoilers, but if you google the Japanese title for the game (Shoukan Yuusha to F-kei Kareshi) you can see some other CGs, and they definitely emphasize the beefcake aspects of the game.

Aw this is cute. :) All the guys look pretty hunky to me (apart from the monk but different strokes for different folks I guess). I don't really do this whole Kickstarter-type stuff but if it came out I would probably buy it. I can think of one particular portable platform this would be just perfect for...
Sol is probably my least favorite of the four main guys too, but after seeing some additional artwork, he's no slouch either. His default outfit doesn't really do him justice...

Is the platform you're thinking of the Vita perhaps? I was thinking of that too. I'd definitely be down with that.

Shizuka

I guess it's always possible. The artist of the game does make adult content too. I don't know if it would fit with the overall theme of the game though.

But this game is probably about as risqué as you can get with a mobile game as far as artwork goes. I don't want to post them here because of spoilers, but if you google the Japanese title for the game (Shoukan Yuusha to F-kei Kareshi) you can see some other CGs, and they definitely emphasize the beefcake aspects of the game.

Sol is probably my least favorite of the four main guys too, but after seeing some additional artwork, he's no slouch either. His default outfit doesn't really do him justice...

Is the platform you're thinking of the Vita perhaps? I was thinking of that too. I'd definitely be down with that.

Google didn't help me, I want to find that image without the star. Also, a Vita version would be great, but without PSM anymore, they'd need a Vita dev kit for that.

Top Bottom