Funimation Cuts All Ties with Vic Mignogna

Apr 27, 2018
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...t-be-hiring-him-for-future-productions/76795/

"Additional information has come to light regarding the case of anime voice actor Vic Mignogna, who has been on the receiving end of various allegations of misconduct and abuse. Now, the allegations don’t have much weight or proof behind them, but they have circulated throughout various media outlets, which initially led to Funimation making a snap decision to fire Mignogna from Morose Mononokean‘s second season. Well, following up on that decision, the company publicly announced that they would not be “engaging” with Mignogna for any future productions, which means that Dragon Ball Super: Broly will be Mignogna’s last performance as the character Broly".

I am disgusted. The #MeToo movement has gone too far. Broly was a character he played for almost 30 years and is a family man, people like him don't deserve to get "fired" just like that. This isn't a first for Funimation, either; they were under fire over dubs of various anime shows being edited with political messages.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
  • brap

brap

Are those pics it? So he kissed a girl.....so what?

I know this is the generation of the hover hand, but goddamn
It's ok to kiss underage girls?

Not even remotely. At all. He's been slandered a lot by many other popular voice actors, this has been going on for a while now.
I mean idk I don't give a shit about dubs anymore. I just saw those pics and went 'welp doesn't surprise me'.
Actually I'm gonna edit my post after reading more of the article
"Taylor, who identifies as queer, reiterated that she felt extremely nauseated and that the entire event feels "gross" when she thinks about it."

Jul 7, 2018
From: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...t-be-hiring-him-for-future-productions/76795/

https://archive.fo/xRYaq

Additional information has come to light regarding the case of anime voice actor Vic Mignogna, who has been on the receiving end of various allegations of misconduct and abuse. Now, the allegations don’t have much weight or proof behind them, but they have circulated throughout various media outlets, which initially led to Funimation making a snap decision to fire Mignogna from Morose Mononokean‘s second season.

So far, those in the middle contain to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism, but those on the far Left continue to declare that any claims made against Mignogna must be true because they always believe the victim. However, when similar allegations were made against voice actor Neil Kaplan, who openly stated his disdain for Mignogna, he retorted that he did not knowingly engage in any kind of misconduct.

Many fans expressed disappointment in the Twitter thread since so far actual evidence – other than personal assertions – has not surfaced against Mignogna, and no formal charges have been pressed against him. For those asking for evidence that led Funimation to their decision, various people who are vehemently against Mignogna popped into the thread to claim that fans of the voice actor weren’t entitled to evidence.

Well, there it goes, I guess that means I am also done with Funimation, myself, will probably watch the rest of the DB series in original Japanese.

Nov 20, 2018
RIP Funimation.

Also, I dont get how an adult would find Dragon Ball stuff worth his time. I've watched it religiously when I was 12-14, but trying to watch it 6 years later and take anything seriously was impossible. It only works on the cringe level for me now, kinda like 99% of anime.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018
RIP Funimation.

Also, I dont get how an adult would find Dragon Ball stuff worth his time. I've watched it religiously when I was 12-14, but trying to watch it 6 years later and take anything seriously was impossible. It only works on the cringe level for me now, kinda like 99% of anime.
Mindless fun, that's what most of us watch anime for.

Jun 9, 2004
LA
Does anyone actually believe they investigated?
Nope. I take it they saw it as a chance to unload on him and took it. The rest is a convenient excuse.

The Neil Kaplan stuff is hilarious though as the girl involved with him had receipts as he was dumb enough to text her.

People can call it creepy but this shit is fucking common at cons as fans practically throw themselves at these people. I can recall a time in the early 00s at one I attended and overhearing that a few VAs talking to each other on how they were being requested to sign more than a few girls breasts.

Jun 9, 2004
LA
Didn't this all start with some yaoi fans getting triggered because Vic wouldn't sign pictures of Ed in gay situations? Wouldn't surprise me if they fabricated the rest. Fujoshis are batshit.

Between this and the recent Escapist happenings, I think it is clear who holds the power.
Yup. It irritates them that he stuck to it after he got sick of repeating the fan requested "Roy Mustang is dead sexy in a miniskirt" that FMA fangirls badgered him to say for years after the original FMA aired in the States in '05. They hated the fact that he was still acting and was going to be in large role due to the Broly movie getting a limited release in theaters. Had that not happened and the movie was simply released to Bluray/DVD like normal much of this would have never took off.

If anything it makes me despise Twitter more than I already do. The mob rule and any slight imagined or not can ruin someone.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Also, I dont get how an adult would find Dragon Ball stuff worth his time. I've watched it religiously when I was 12-14, but trying to watch it 6 years later and take anything seriously was impossible.
It's something to throw on in the background that you don't have to think about very much. If you liked it as a kid, nostalgia will make it that much better. Why does it need to be taken seriously? Enjoy the drawings and the ridiculousness.

Apr 15, 2018
Its about time. The rumors and allegations have been following Vic for years at this point. He had even been banned from various Cons before due to his antics. Glad to see Funimation and others finally stepping up.
You really have zero concern for the truth, do you?

Is there not a single part of you of you that pauses and think "hmm maybe I should demand accountability before I join the lunch mob"

Mar 3, 2018
"but those on the far Left continue to declare that any claims made against Mignogna must be true because they always believe the victim."

These allegations and claims have been constantly popping up since 2007. And Vic isn't really denying the whole kissing and REALLY intimate hugging of minors ordeal (as compiled here :https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...fection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212). I mean, he's not going to jail or anything, he's being fired from a company who are fully within their rights to do so. You don't have to do something illegal to be found worthy to be fired by a company. If a co-worker's relative had just passed and I cruelly mocked him for it, I have done nothing illegal but I'm clearly just asking to get fired. Unacceptable behavior reflects on the company and if I work for them I know the risks, this is how jobs work. Vic is no different. Even if he never did anything that would be found illegal, he still made a conscious decision to intimately hug and kiss underage girls (and without their consent in some instances) while employed by the company. He should consider himself lucky he stayed employed by them for so long.

"There were multiple investigations with testimony, proof, evidence. Companies don’t cut ties without those things. However, that information is classified. I am one of dozens of men and women who participated. Stop harassing me." - fellow FUNimation VA Monica Rial
Thankfully some reasonable people on Twitter pointed out the obvious:

"I don't think people properly understand that companies don't deal with criminal lawsuits if they don't have to. The fact that they had an internal investigation and found viable enough proof of all they need to do. It is not their job to give us that proof." - Kevin Billingsley

"Let no one forget that only those involved have a “right” to the evidence. It is literally no one’s business but the accused, the accusers, and parties they deem relevant." - ya boi

source: https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/02/11/vic-mignogna-funimation-fired-anime-react/#5

And I'm sorry, Vic is idiotic if he actually had no idea that touching minors this way was unacceptable (as he claims in his statement). Like, really? How he phyically interacts with his family is irrelevant, these are total strangers he has just met, like come on. A teacher who behaved this way towards their students should consider themselves lucky if the school simply fired them.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
"but those on the far Left continue to declare that any claims made against Mignogna must be true because they always believe the victim."

These allegations and claims have been constantly popping up since 2007. And Vic isn't really denying the whole kissing and REALLY intimate hugging of minors ordeal (as compiled here :https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...fection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212). I mean, he's not going to jail or anything, he's being fired from a company who are fully within their rights to do so. You don't have to do something illegal to be found worthy to be fired by a company. If a co-worker's relative had just passed and I cruelly mocked him for it, I have done nothing illegal but I'm clearly just asking to get fired. Unacceptable behavior reflects on the company and if I work for them I know the risks, this is how jobs work. Vic is no different. Even if he never did anything that would be found illegal, he still made a conscious decision to intimately hug and kiss underage girls (and without their consent in some instances) while employed by the company. He should consider himself lucky he stayed employed by them for so long.

"There were multiple investigations with testimony, proof, evidence. Companies don’t cut ties without those things. However, that information is classified. I am one of dozens of men and women who participated. Stop harassing me." - fellow FUNimation VA Monica Rial
Thankfully some reasonable people on Twitter pointed out the obvious:

"I don't think people properly understand that companies don't deal with criminal lawsuits if they don't have to. The fact that they had an internal investigation and found viable enough proof of all they need to do. It is not their job to give us that proof." - Kevin Billingsley

"Let no one forget that only those involved have a “right” to the evidence. It is literally no one’s business but the accused, the accusers, and parties they deem relevant." - ya boi

source: https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/02/11/vic-mignogna-funimation-fired-anime-react/#5

And I'm sorry, Vic is idiotic if he actually had no idea that touching minors this way was unacceptable (as he claims in his statement). Like, really? How he phyically interacts with his family is irrelevant, these are total strangers he has just met, like come on. A teacher who behaved this way towards their students should consider themselves lucky if the school simply fired them.
Well said. People seem to be missing that this is not just some butthurt fan saying this. This a large number of people all reporting roughly the same behavior over a long period of time.

I stole the following from Era, but its relevant to the discussion so I don't really care.

With regards to sexual conduct:
With regards to antisemitism:
With regards to homophobia:
With regards to general behavior/how he is seen by coworkers:
A couple of twitter threads:
  • MarzGurl tackling his apology
  • A thread with responses that are accounts of him being a sex pest, a homophobe, or a jerk:
Finally, there is a minor hashtag that started to #KickVic, so to speak, which I feel is worth keeping an eye on.

Edit: I will note with the homophobia stuff there is a video of him circulating of him standing up to "GOD HATES F-slur" type protesters at a con, but it's clearly staged and the way he's acting makes him seem like he's trying to get brownie points.

Last edited:
May 19, 2010
You really have zero concern for the truth, do you?

Is there not a single part of you of you that pauses and think "hmm maybe I should demand accountability before I join the lunch mob"
demand accountability from a company that you have literally no part of and doesn't answer to you in any form? what world do some of you live in? lmao

Apr 15, 2018
Wait a minute, You're source is a blatant witch-hunt thread on resetera? Well fuck me I stand corrected. I can't think of a goup of people more open minded and trustworthy than that.😒

demand accountability from a company that you have literally no part of and doesn't answer to you in any form? what world do some of you live in? lmao
The world where I don't believe every random Twitter rumour, hashtag and forum post is God written truth? That might be to difficult for you, you might need a journalist to tell you how to think

May 22, 2018
Given all of the info I provided above there are two conclusions that Funimation could have come to after their internal "investigation"

A) There is a pattern of disturbing behavior here that is being reported from a variety of unrelated sources and people so we should probably distance ourselves from him for the time being while this plays out

OR

B) All of these people who are completely unrelated to each other and have never met each other and yet somehow miraculously have very similar stories are lying and Vic is innocent and we should stand by him despite public scrutiny

Funimation made the only decision that makes sense for them right now. There is simply too many people telling similar stories of sexual harassment and misconduct for them to be able to just outright ignore it like some of you seem to think they should. You all are thinking in terms of black and white and this is not a black and white situation. If Funimation were to defend him and continue to work with him and it came out later that beyond all doubt this stuff 100% happened then the PR hit they would take would be catastrophic to their business. No voice actor is worth that kind of trouble.

And thats all assuming there is nothing but rumors and no evidence, but there are pictures of Vic kissing underage girls at conventions that have surfaced and that by itself should give anyone a moment of pause. A grown man has no business kissing an underage fan. Regardless of the circumstances. The fact that people are continuing to defend him despite this is frankly disgusting as far as I am concerned.

Wait a minute, You're source is a blatant witch-hunt thread on resetera? Well fuck me I stand corrected. I can't think of a goup of people more open minded and trustworthy than that.😒
The links I provided are from places outside of Era. They have been posted all over the place. Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc etc. The fact they were also posted on Era does not make them fake.

Some of those links are videos. You can't tell me videos are fake.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018

1. A 25 year old girl both him and her quoting a SCENE where he played as Voice Actor?

1:19 onwards to watch the scene.

2. "Allegation" of him groping a fan.

3. "Allegation" once more.

4. Tumblrina's stories.

He said "There is a Holocaust outside." and you know what? It's true, there is NOT one Holocaust, unless you are a racist, Jewish supremacist. He used a word, are we going to take offence on people use words?

Also if he did not wish to sign something or supported an agenda he did not believed in he is well withing his rights to do so, correct?
I would not sign anything LGBT myself in his shoes.

Yes, the guy is rude, yes, the guy is a Diva. Yes the guy let his fame get to him, yes, it is not our job or work it is his uppringing and so far the only sources I have seen from (supposedly) this 10 year old path of terror are a bunch of tumblerinas, a bunch of twitards and CUCKnime News Network, a site that got OFFENDED because of the beginning of Shield Art Hero the anime had the protagonist facing against FALSE rape allegations.

Yes, those sources are as credible as a monkey's ass.

May 22, 2018

1. A 25 year old girl both him and her quoting a SCENE where he played as Voice Actor?

1:19 onwards to watch the scene.

2. "Allegation" of him groping a fan.

3. "Allegation" once more.

4. Tumblrina's stories.

He said "There is a Holocaust outside." and you know what? It's true, there is NOT one Holocaust, unless you are a racist, Jewish supremacist. He used a word, are we going to take offence on people use words?

Also if he did not wish to sign something or supported an agenda he did not believed in he is well withing his rights to do so, correct?
I would not sign anything LGBT myself in his shoes.

Yes, the guy is rude, yes, the guy is a Diva. Yes the guy let his fame get to him, yes, it is not our job or work it is his uppringing and so far the only sources I have seen from (supposedly) this 10 year old path of terror are a bunch of tumblerinas, a bunch of twitards and CUCKnime News Network, a site that got OFFENDED because of the beginning of Shield Art Hero the anime had the protagonist facing against FALSE rape allegations.

Yes, those sources are as credible as a monkey's ass.
And what proof do you have that they are false? How do you explain that these people from across the country who have never met each other and have no reason to lie are suddenly all coming froward with stories and evidence that all tell a very similar story? Are you seriously just gonna tell me that literally all of these people are lying? Every single one of them? That all the pictures and videos are fake? And that Funimation has no cause whatsoever to cease their work with Vic? There are videos. There are pictures. There are dozens of stories and personal accounts from both fans and other voice actors in the convention community about his behavior. Hell he was even banned from some conventions BEFORE all of this came out because of his conduct. There is more than enough information out there now to cause a major company like Funimation to be hesitant to continue their work with him.

HELL HE EVEN ADMITTED THAT HE HAD BEEN HUGGING AND KISSING FANS

The fact you are trying to handwave this away as just "the Twitter mob" is fucking ridiculous when you actually look at the individual reports and the evidence.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
LA
Yes, the guy is rude, yes, the guy is a Diva. Yes the guy let his fame get to him
This bit here is the biggest reason why I felt they unloaded him and took the first real chance they got. The man is notoriously hard on con staff and in the booth. If it were simply this then while disappointing it would be more understandable.

At the same time though the shit he's gotten over the years is beyond eye-rolling amongst the "I heard..." "I heard..." "I heard..." like the worst game of phone tag. Hell a number of years ago "I heard" that the man had made a guest VA at ADV cry over the suicide of a coworker of hers in Japan and realized we are long since past the point of "Bitch eating the crackers" hate.

Jul 7, 2018
And what proof do you have that they are false?
The onus is not on me to provide proof they are false, the onus is on the accuser(s) to provide their assertions, preferably speaking in the court of law.

How do you explain that these people from across the country who have never met each other and have no reason to lie are suddenly all coming froward with stories and evidence that all tell a very similar story? Are you seriously just gonna tell me that literally all of these people are lying? Every single one of them? That all the pictures and videos are fake?
I am sure WAAAAAAY more people claim or have claimed they have seen Jesus of Nazareth, the son of God.
Would you believe that God is real after hearing them or reading their news stories, yes or no?
Furthermore, would you be in the Christian Doctrine to be established as the dominant doctrine of your country based on that hearsay, yes or no?
Would you be willing to accept the banning of same-sex marriage and LGBT label(s) based on said hearsay, yes or no?

There are videos. There are pictures. There are dozens of stories and personal accounts from both fans and other voice actors in the convention community about his behavior. Hell he was even banned from some conventions BEFORE all of this came out because of his conduct. There is more than enough information out there now to cause a major company like Funimation to be hesitant to continue their work with him.
If those videos and pictures of him are as credible as the first link you got from Era then I imagine, all I see is a witch hunt by some Twitards and some Tumblrinas, sorry I remain sceptical and my wallet will remain closed to FUNimation further until I see undisputed facts that this man is guilty, until then, he is innocent until proven otherwise.

Nov 20, 2018
It's something to throw on in the background that you don't have to think about very much. If you liked it as a kid, nostalgia will make it that much better. Why does it need to be taken seriously? Enjoy the drawings and the ridiculousness.
Im an animator irl, so I tend to take things seriously if they are presented in that way by the directors, in which case DB is all about seriousness. But because it fails to be serious on an adult level, I cant enjoy it as much as a whole. Nostlagia is a pretty lame excuse to enjoy something, so it doesnt work for me. The only thing left to appreciate is the fast-paced fight animation which I already can study from the internet gifs on google.

Mar 3, 2018
You know, the idea that all these accounts (some of which are provided by fans of his) throughout over a decade are all some sort of conspiracy to discredit a anime voice actor after roughly 12 years of this (that's some Michael Myers-level patience!) reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. Nobody Important and I would be Elaine, and Enygger would be Jerry and Kramer:

May 22, 2018
The onus is not on me to provide proof they are false, the onus is on the accuser(s) to provide their assertions, preferably speaking in the court of law.
Thats not how the court of public opinion works. The negatives of working with Vic is now worse than the benefit of working with Vic. There are enough pictures, video's and first hand accounts from fans and other voice actors now to give companies like Funimation a reason to take a step back from Vic. If they didn't take a step back then the damage from associating with him would be more severe than the damage of stepping away.

You can try pretend that things like that don't matter these days and put on whatever show you want, but we both know that it matters a whole hell of a lot to a company in today's world. No company is gonna take the risk of associating with someone after than level of exposure. Especially when the evidence is so consistent and spans such a length of time. No employee is worth that level of risk.

If those videos and pictures of him are as credible as the first link you got from Era then I imagine, all I see is a witch hunt by some Twitards and some Tumblrinas, sorry I remain sceptical and my wallet will remain closed to FUNimation further until I see undisputed facts that this man is guilty, until then, he is innocent until proven otherwise.
Well good luck with that. Its not just Funimation now. He has been blacklisted by various companies and conventions at this point. You are gonna be closing your wallet to alot of places.

Nobody has to take anybody to court to fire them/not hire them again, and the company doesn't owe it to you, random message board person, to prove that they had reason to let him go. Hope this helps.
Well said.

Funimation is under no obligation to continue to working with him in the first place. If they have enough reason to cease their association with him then they have every right to do so. They owe him nothing. They don't need a court conviction to make that decision. No company does.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
Nobody has to take anybody to court to fire them/not hire them again, and the company doesn't owe it to you, random message board person, to prove that they had reason to let him go. Hope this helps.
I wonder if old GAF/new Era had the same reaction over Gunn? Over Rapp? Over Bex? Over Quinn?

By those standards, Vic has had a sustained harassment campaign against him for years now, seemingly stemming from butthurt fujoshis. But unlike those people (aside from Gunn), there is no evidence of wrongdoing here. The reenactment from OHSHC is a great example of how it appears all these allegations fall apart on the slightest inspection.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017
Funimation is under no obligation to continue to working with him in the first place. If they have enough reason to cease their association with him then they have every right to do so. They owe him nothing. They don't need a court conviction to make that decision. No company does.
If they release him from his contract then they actually do. For new Shows yeah sure but not ones under ccontract

May 19, 2010
I wonder if old GAF/new Era had the same reaction over Gunn? Over Rap? Over Bex?

By those standards, Vic has had a sustained harassment campaign against him for years now, seemingly stemming from butthurt fujoshis.
Who cares about the reaction? You might think James Gunn was let go unfairly, but the fact of the matter is that Disney/Marvel was within their rights to investigate and let him go based on their investigation. Don't worry so much about what another message board thinks. They aren't posting here.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
I do not know his contracts. Not renewing is of course fine.

I just think that destroying a persons life should be not that easy but rather should require deep investigations
Nothing I have seen tells me that is what they did. Besides you don't need a deep investigation to find the videos, pictures and stories that have been shared on social media and other outlets. Especially when some of the stories is coming from other voice actors that do work with Funimation and other similar companies.

What has likely happened is Funimation has decided to take a preemptive step away from him while they do their REAL internal investigation into the allegations. If they believe he is innocent beyond a shadow of a doubt then he will be quietly brought back on in a similar way to how Chris Hardwick was handled. Funimation is just protecting themselves and I don't blame them one bit considering how much is out there right now.

But given the evidence and Vic's own statements I highly doubt he will be brought back by any major outlet anytime soon. Even if the things he did with fans were technically legal they are still gross on the surface given his age and their age and most likely would fall under misconduct in the opinion of most companies. At the very least its not a good look and most companies would not want to be associated with it.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
I wonder if old GAF/new Era had the same reaction over Gunn? Over Rap? Over Bex?

By those standards, Vic has had a sustained harassment campaign against him for years now, seemingly stemming from butthurt fujoshis.
-I don't know who the latter two are, but in James Gunn's case he made some dark jokes in the early 2000's, apologized for them a few years later (well before he was hired by Disney), and then an alt-right blogger and conspiracy theorist named Mike Cernovich re-surfaced the jokes because Gunn DARED to mock Trump and boasted about his role in getting Trump fired (which funny enough means one could look at this whole mess as Disney choosing to agree with a crazy alt-right). These are not the same circumstances as what happened with Vic, and I'm not being unreasonable to say I disagreed with Gunn getting fired and generally agree with Vic being fired.

-and? So if one of the Avatar:TLA showrunners had a ton of accusations aimed at them throughout the years, we should be automatically dismissive about them because some Zutara shippers were mad at them? What nonsense is that?