• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funnily Named Places Around the World.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I love maps and spend an inordinate amount of time staring at maps. Naturally I get to see amusing place names from time to time. Here are a few of them.

United States

Ok, I got a bit of help here as some places are too small to spot by just browsing Google maps. Imagine living in one of these places and having to say you come from that place. Or if some of these places became major cities over time?

Accident, Maryland
Anaconda, Montana
Beaverlick, Kentucky

Chicken, Alaska
Chocolate Bayou, Texas
Choconut, Pennsylvania
Climax, Georgia
Condemned Bar, California
Coupon, Pennsylvania
Corner Ketch, Delaware
Ding Dong, Texas

Canada

Asbestos, Quebec
Blow Me Down, Newfoundland
Dildo, Newfoundland

United Kingdom

There are plenty of weird, absurd or rude place names in Blighty. Just to name the best of them:

Bullyhole
Butt of Lewis
Cockbush
Fattiehead
Shitterton
Shittington
Slackbottom
Snatchup

France

Anus, Burgundy
Bitche, Grand Est
Condom, Occitanie
La Force, Occitanie (inhabited by a community of Jedi)
Le Saix, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (sounds just like "Le Sex")
Montcuq, Occitanie (Montcuq sounds like 'my ass' in French; I am seeing a trend in the names here)
Noisy (several places around Paris, including one appropriately located near the airport)
Pussy, Savoy

Other European countries

Assholmen, Sweden (not known for its friendly locals)
Föckinghausen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
F*ckersberg, Austria
F*cking, Austria
Horni Police, Czechia (well, let's hope they are female and pretty then)
Kilmacow, Ireland
Kissing, Bavaria, Germany

Slut, Sweden
Trollhättan, Sweden (maybe the Trolls' financial capital?)
Wank, Bavaria, Germany

Australia

Banana, Queensland
Eggs and Bacon Bay, Tasmania
Tittybong, Victoria

Other places in the world

Batman, Turkey
Granma, Cuba
Moron, Cuba
My Son, Vietnam
Obama, Japan (it means 'small beach' in Japanese)
Sakashita, Japan (sack of what?)
Sexmoan, Philippines (gotta love that one)
Swat, Pakistan
Uberlândia, Brazil (that's where Uber should relocate its HQ ;) )

5c658673ddcd1.jpeg

In the California desert there was a idk, Village or town, or reserve called Sisterwood. And a road that took you to it was GirlCock road.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Fucking in Austria and Petting in Germany.

Then we got "Busenhausen" thats literally like "titshome". "Pissen" thats like "to piss".

And we even got "Kalifornien" and "Amerika"

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Medieval England had some hilarious street names

During the Middle Ages the word may often have been considered merely vulgar, having been in common use in its anatomical sense since at least the 13th century. In The Miller's Tale, Geoffrey Chaucer writes "And prively he caughte hire by the queynte" (and intimately he caught her by her crotch), and Philotus (1603) mentions "put doun thy hand and graip hir cunt."

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It took me a while what is funny about "upper shelf" (Horní Police)...but then I got it. Damn this i/y bullshit we have here.

0neAnd0nly

A while back on some of my travels with family, we stayed among the Amish in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. The hotel we stayed at was situated in Bird in Hand, Pennsylvania. Bird in Hand is conveniently located by Intercourse, Pennsylvania and several other small towns with humorous names. Apparently, the area (and PA in general) is known for this.

Interesting tidbits from that trip. For one, what you hear about Amish making great food is 100% true. The breakfast we had at our hotel (literally situated in the midst of Amish Farmland, and naturally employed by many Amish) was the best hotel breakfast I have ever had. It was insanely good. The second point, is they are definitely down with the humor! You couldn't find a gift shop in the area or store that was selling huge magnets about Bird in Hand, PA or the classic "I :messenger_heart: Intercourse, Pennsylvania" printed on t-shirts or car / fridge magnets.

* A list of other Lancaster area funny name towns:

• Blue Ball.
  • Burnt Mills.
  • Fertility.
  • Lititz.
  • Mount Joy.
  • Noodle Doosie.
Can't suggest visiting enough! It's definitely a cool place.

Last edited:

Breakage

Take the kids paddling in Cock Pond

Apparently named after a pub called the Cock, on the site of what was previously a nice pub called the Frog and Forget-me-not, and is now a generic characterless pub called the Frog, Cock Pond is a children's paddling pool, on the North side of Clapham Common.

Top Bottom