• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

funny: Settlers 7 US vs EU boxarts

Degen

Joseph Merrick said:
boxshot_us_large.jpg
In a world...
where game covers whore the blue & orange combo more than movie posters...
ONE MAN.
ONE MISSION.
From the studio that brought you Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour...

spwolf

so do we have any gameplay info? This does not look anything like real Settlers (for instance Settlers II).... but not as bad looking as 5 and 6... so what is it really?

Ogs said:
This Trailer is as misleading as the American Boxart!

Check this one out instead. German though :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIm8i2uPaqE
part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVmwIWSXukc
Kabouter said:
Is the performance improved over the beta?
I dunno! I haven't played the demo so far :)
But the lag the beta had because of connections is gone.
If you expect a Settlers (1-4) game you will probably be disappointed. But it really is a great strategy game with nice new gameplay elements.

spwolf said:
so do we have any gameplay info? This does not look anything like real Settlers (for instance Settlers II).... but not as bad looking as 5 and 6... so what is it really?
Check out the video above for some gameplay! It's nice and all but don't expect your known building game Settlers was before :( Buildings are build in seconds as soon as the materials and the workers are at site.

This could be the perfect American average joe Settlers.

Danneee

Caesar III said:
Check out the video above for some gameplay! It's nice and all but don't expect your known building game Settlers was before :( Buildings are build in seconds as soon as the materials and the workers are at site.

What?! One of the great things about the settlers games were watching your little dudes build houses.

Palmer_v1

Danneee said:
What?! One of the great things about the settlers games were watching your little dudes build houses.

Are you sure? That boxart is telling me that mercilessly killing little dudes while they TRY to build houses is the greatest thing you can do in the game.

Danneee said:
check out the second part of the preview video I linked @ 2:42.

There you can also see the new "expansion"-buildings and how they are set up. It's a totally dumb system imho.

Devs said in various interviews they wanted to add a twist of puzzling like Tetris into the building. They got it right with this but it sucks :D

Bigger buildings like the Church take a bit longer to build up like you can see prior in this video.

Danneee

Palmer_v1 said:
Are you sure? That boxart is telling me that mercilessly killing little dudes while they TRY to build houses is the greatest thing you can do in the game.

Haha, yeah the series took a turn for the worse after the first one and focused more and more on combat :(

Lunchbox

Banned
tokkun said:
OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.

SLAP

AndyD

aka andydumi
Caesar III said:
If you expect a Settlers (1-4) game you will probably be disappointed. But it really is a great strategy game with nice new gameplay elements.

This could be the perfect American average joe Settlers.

I have not played the demo, but watching that video makes it seem interesting. I like the idea of the tetris like expansion slots on buildings.

I also dont like the too quick building and seeming emphasis on combat. I always liked settlers games to be about the slow rise of an economic empire, like the anno series.

Settlers 2 is still in my top 5 games of all time, and this is quite different, but it should be fun.

Ogs

Just had a thought....

Imagine if going the nicey nicey city building looks like as it does now...... but when going to war, things start slowly turning dark and nasty like the US box art ? (Panning from a nice village to a battlefield, would look pretty mad).

Would be a huge amount of effort though, replacing all the models n such ....

Ogs said:
Just had a thought....

Imagine if going the nicey nicey city building looks like as it does now...... but when going to war, things start slowly turning dark and nasty like the US box art ? (Panning from a nice village to a battlefield, would look pretty mad).

Would be a huge amount of effort though, replacing all the models n such ....
This would be great! It works perfectly fine in The Saboteur and even Black and White had some major changes to the environment according to your actions.

Andy said:
I have not played the demo, but watching that video makes it seem interesting.
The demo is not out yet. If I got this right in the German forums then today was Gold-Milestone. So the game is finished and they can start making the demo.
I like the idea of the tetris like expansion slots on buildings.
I don't! It kills the settlers feeling for me :( But if more people think like you, and I think this is the case, then they did it all the right way. :(
I also dont like the too quick building and seeming emphasis on combat. I always liked settlers games to be about the slow rise of an economic empire, like the anno series.
dito
I hope you can settle on BIIIIG maps. The one shown in the video is really small. But they pretend in the official German forums that the full game will feature some much bigger maps.
Settlers 2 is still in my top 5 games of all time, and this is quite different, but it should be fun.
My favorite is Settlers 1 tbh. I like the new traditional Settlers games (Settlers II Anniversary and its successor which wasn't released out of Germany IIRC)
I'm talking about this one: http://siedler.de.ubi.com/home.php

I hope this game doesn't end the Settlers series as we knew it entirely :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Caesar III said:
This would be great! It works perfectly fine in The Saboteur and even Black and White had some major changes to the environment according to your actions.

The demo is not out yet. If I got this right in the German forums then today was Gold-Milestone. So the game is finished and they can start making the demo.

I don't! It kills the settlers feeling for me :( But if more people think like you, and I think this is the case, then they did it all the right way. :(

dito
I hope you can settle on BIIIIG maps. The one shown in the video is really small. But they pretend in the official German forums that the full game will feature some much bigger maps.

My favorite is Settlers 1 tbh. I like the new traditional Settlers games (Settlers II Anniversary and its successor which wasn't released out of Germany IIRC)
I'm talking about this one: http://siedler.de.ubi.com/home.php

I hope this game doesn't end the Settlers series as we knew it entirely :(

I have never played the new 2. Looks like a modernized version of the classic with the road mechanics, flags and all. Looks fantastic. I will have to track it down, despite being german only. Import, here I come.

This one right?
Settlers 2 - The New Generation or something along those lines?
http://diesiedler2.de.ubi.com/game_galerie.php
sshot23.jpg

As to tetrising, I see it as doing two things from the two videos: either expanding the same building type into its next evolved version but controlling the direction and its footprint, or setting up an outpost in a controlled/pretty fashion.

I cant tell if you are limited from building a woodcutter next to the woods or if it has to be an expansion of the townhall. The video is a little unclear. I like the idea of easily creating an outpost in a controlled/pretty fashion because its visually pleasing and convenient. But I also hope we can free build if we need to.

Either way, I am willing to give it a try, as its one of my favorite series.

As to map sizes, the map does not look that small overall, the map indicator in the top right makes it seem like we are only seeing a fraction of the overall map. I still dont get the way those connections and hubs work, so I hope for a demo soon. Although if the game is out first, I will just get it.

Xater

AndyD said:
I have never played the new 2. Looks like a modernized version of the classic with the road mechanics, flags and all. Looks fantastic. I will have to track it down, despite being german only. Import, here I come.

This one right?
Settlers 2 - The New Generation or something along those lines?
http://diesiedler2.de.ubi.com/game_galerie.php
http://diesiedler2.de.ubi.com/sshots/sshot23.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

It's "The Next Gerneration", but yeah thats the game. :D

You an get the Gold verison (Settlers 2 + viking addon) for 10 Euro.

FoxSpirit

Settlers 2:TNG was such a huge letdown. They completele reworked the military and completely cut out the miracles and gods. Boooooo.

FoxSpirit said:
Settlers 2:TNG was such a huge letdown. They completele reworked the military and completely cut out the miracles and gods. Boooooo.
uhm! This was a Settlers 2 game like the name states perfectly. Miracles and realtime military were introduced with Settlers 3. So if this was a letdown for you it's kinda like your own fault ;)

@ Andy:

Settlers 2 Anniversary (how it is called) got a release outside of Germany. Even NA:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S39A82/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The successor (Aufbruch der Kulturen) did not get one. Neither did it get an Addon :(

Both these games have regular Settlers 2 gameplay with new graphics! They both are made by Funatics. They were founded by former BlueByte members ;) Thomas Häuser (one of them) was a lead programmer for the original Settlers 2 as well.

As for Settlers 7:

As to tetrising, I see it as doing two things from the two videos: either expanding the same building type into its next evolved version but controlling the direction and its footprint, or setting up an outpost in a controlled/pretty fashion.
Nope!
I'll try to explain it a bit without going too much into detail ;)

You build a residence which does nothing but provide a sleeping place for 4 settlers.
This residence has 3 slots attached where you can expand it. You can add a bakery, a blacksmith, all this stuff.
They are no separate buildings anymore but expansions to this residence.

There are 5 different main buildings (as you can see in the video posted above):
Farm (wheat, pigs, horsez)
Lodge (woodcutter, sawmill, forester, fisher, hunter, coaler)
mountain shelter (ironmine, goldmine, coalmine, iron smelter, stone cutter)
residence (bakery, brewery, wheelmaker,...)
noble residence (mintery, blacksmith...)
all of them have up to 6 possible expansions (see brackets)

every main building can be boosted with food. If you set up food they double the output. If you give them fancy food they even triple it. noble residences need food for every task.
The problem is fancy food is made out of normal food (fish or bread) combined with meat.
That means every coin they want to make costs you at least one food in addition to the normal ressources.

I like the idea of easily creating an outpost in a controlled/pretty fashion because its visually pleasing and convenient.
You can/have to take over whole sectors.
But I also hope we can free build if we need to.
nope. You have to use the tetris system everytime :(
As to map sizes, the map does not look that small overall,
But it is ;) You can barely place all you buildings there for a proper production because they are really big. Especially the farms.
the map indicator in the top right makes it seem like we are only seeing a fraction of the overall map. I still dont get the way those connections and hubs work, so I hope for a demo soon. Although if the game is out first, I will just get it.
every hub you can see on the map is the center of a sector you can take over. Those lines visualize the connection between those sectors.
You can only attack sectors near to your own land unlike in games like Company of Heroes.
But anyway. Try the demo first. ;)

All this is just an explaination of the video linked above.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bit of a bump here, If I never played a Settlers game before, but wish to get into one. Which one would be the best choice...minus the new one(I don't want to deal with Ubisoft connection DRM)

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Joseph Merrick said:

I second this. Settlers 2 is probably the best in the series, and that's coming from an Amiga gamer whose fondest memory is playing The Settlers for hours at a time. The music was just so damn catchy and the whole atmosphere sucked you right in. But I bought Settlers 2 the moment it was released on GOG.com, and it's not only the best place to start, but you might as well stay there as well.

traveler

Not Wario
Was wondering the same thing. Game looks beautiful and I've always wanted to give this series a shot.

Edit: Ah crap. I just saw the drm on steam. Didn't realize it was Ubi. Guess I won't be purchasing this after all. :(

Vizionblind

Neo Member
Picked this game up yesterday at Walmart for $39. I only played a short amount so far as I am feeling a bit under the weather, but here goes...

Presentation - I LOVE the opening cinematic. It has a great fairytale feel to it. The story is presented to you via a child's pop-up book style. Very cool looking.

Graphics - simply awesome/ Has a very cartoony feel to it. There are plenty of graphics options, all with descriptions on what they exactly do. The game runs beautifully for me (ATi 5850) at 1920x1080 resolution with everything turned on HIGH.

Sound/Music. So far the sound effects seem standard faire, but to me the real highlight is the music. The games intro has a wonderful vocal to it, with a high production value. When playing the game, the music beautifully weaves itself in and out while playing. The game definitley has a "buy the soundtrack" vibe to it. The voice over work so far has been spot on.

Gameplay - Standard fair so far (especially if you have played settlers games before). There are visual/audio advisors ala civilization, that lead you in to the game when you begin. They are never annoying and come in short spurts. The default camera movement is a bit loose and needs to be tightened up (which can be done in-game) but other than that, I have not noticed any annoying gameplay elements YET.

Cool Tidbit - With the latest patch they incorporated "Facebook"> This allows you to broadcast you are playing the game and even allows for chatting within the game. It also allows you to see others facebook posts while in the game, if you choose to look. One last addition is to be able to invite friends to join your game, from within the game, via Facebook.

dejan

Since there's no OT for The Settlers 7 (which is a damn shame), I guess I'll post this here.

Long story short, I caved in and bought The Settlers 7 two weeks ago. Yeah, I'm weak. Anyhow, I've been playing S7 pretty much during every free minute of my day since then and haven't experienced any problems with Ubi's DRM system ... yet.
After finishing the campaign yesterday, I'm currently spending time in skirmish mode before finally delving into multiplayer.

So, is this game any good? Well, the camera controls are garbage and as someone who enjoyed previous entries in the series I think the individual sectors (maps are divided into sectors) are a bit too small for my liking. It's also kinda hard to quickly identify a bottleneck or deficiency in your production lines and oh boy can this game get hectic at times. Other than that, it's fantastic. Even Starcraft 2 couldn't pull me away.
The addition of victory points are a big change for the series, but I personally think a change for the better. The gameplay consists of three pillars: military, reseach and trade. You won't have the resources or time to excel in all three of them, so depending on the map (available resources, number of opponents, victory point requirements) you'll try to focus on one or two of them. The AI is quite challenging even on normal.

I'm having a great time with S7 and I think it's one of the best pc exclusives this year, that sadly not many people will experience, because of Ubisoft's shitty DRM policy.

Hey guys...

This should interest a lot of people, and deserves it's own thread, but Settlers 7 is FREE to download.

Link: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/e...ttlers-7-Paths-to-a-Kingdom-Gold-Edition.html

I don't understand why it's free, all I know is that it's free. It's a good game, and is usually much more expensive. I don't know if this is an Australian exclusive or not? But it's on the Australian page.

This deserves it's own thread but I don't have the ability to make a new thread yet. If a mod see's this maybe they could make a new thread?

ColonialRaptor said:
Hey guys...

This should interest a lot of people, and deserves it's own thread, but Settlers 7 is FREE to download.

Link: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/e...ttlers-7-Paths-to-a-Kingdom-Gold-Edition.html

I don't understand why it's free, all I know is that it's free. It's a good game, and is usually much more expensive. I don't know if this is an Australian exclusive or not? But it's on the Australian page.

This deserves it's own thread but I don't have the ability to make a new thread yet. If a mod see's this maybe they could make a new thread?

I get pushed to the US store and it shows as 39.99. Anyway to proxy this?

pilonv1

ColonialRaptor said:
Hey guys...

As soon as you enter your billing information it goes to a dead link. It shows up as $0.00 but since it was relased on 10/3/11 it's an obvious mistake.

For proof

free.jpg

I don't know how to proxy unfortunately... maybe look for an Aus proxy?

I think this is the proxy that I use considering I'm with telstra - can you route just that website through your browser?

proxy address- sydney.cache.telstra.net

Port no. - 3128

Is the dead link just a page of text?

Just press F5, for some reason I had to refresh the page from that text and code page each time and it will take you to the next step.

Bisnic said:
Is it just me but... i can't see any pictures of boxarts in the OP.

They seem to be dead links... it's quite an old thread.

Edit - Does a full member want to make this a new thread and share the love? I am sure quite a lot of people would like to take advantage of this but probably might not click on an few year old Settlers thread and miss out.

ColonialRaptor said:
Is the dead link just a page of text?

Just press F5, for some reason I had to refresh the page from that text and code page each time and it will take you to the next step.

Nah. I try clicking the continue button on the bottom and it doesn't do anything at all. Basically like clicking the background.

MotorbreathX said:
Nah. I try clicking the continue button on the bottom and it doesn't do anything at all. Basically like clicking the background.

What browser are you using? Do you have another installed?

I was originally trying in Chrome and I had to load up Firefox in the end in order to get it to work as well.

Edit - Free stuff is wicked :D

ColonialRaptor said:
What browser are you using? Do you have another installed?

I was originally trying in Chrome and I had to load up Firefox in the end in order to get it to work as well.

Yeah, I'm in Chrome. I'll try Firefox.

pilonv1

Ignignort

In Australia, just got Ruse, hawx2 and settlers.

Ruse activated on steam.

edit: didn't realise there are PAGES of stuff that is $0.00 it's totally going to get all pulled and the keys deactivated.

OMG look at this list of FREE!!!

HAWX
HAWX 2
Shaun White Skateboarding
RUSE
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Tom Clancy's Splinter Double Agent
Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut Edition
Assassin’s Creed II
Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
Anno 1404
Tom Clancy's EndWar
Shaun White Snowboarding
FarCry and FarCry 2 Double Pack
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
World in Conflict Complete Edition
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Beyond Good & Evil
XIII

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yep, just hit F5 on the javascript pages and it'll all work fine.

ubisoft000s7.png

ColonialRaptor said:
OMG look at this list of FREE!!!

HAWX
HAWX 2
Shaun White Skateboarding
RUSE
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Tom Clancy's Splinter Double Agent
Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut Edition
Assassin’s Creed II