• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fur-Fun,game by Spanish youtuber Dalas,allegedy uses stolen assets from Banjo-Kazooie

Trup1aya

Because if you make a thread about how this developer is using stolen BK assets and the only evidence of stolen assets is a questionable meerkat, your thread is nullified.
The tread is nullified? The BK assets ARE shippied in the game, along with other stolen intellectual property.

shiyrley

Banned
Leaving suspiciously named files in your game is not equal to violation of copyright. If he were using those assets in the final game it would be a different story.

Coin? Yup, never been another game with coins, must be lifted from Mario.

Gold bar? Yup, no way it's not a Minecraft asset.

Now when I watched the video, I immediately thought 'that's Timone holy shit' but on closer inspection it's only a passing resemblance. I'm not ruling out it being a Timone model from a Disney game that was slightly modified, I just don't see the point in doing that. I'm not about running a witch hunt on this dude for dubious evidence. Show me where he very clearly violated copyright besides forgetting to remove prototyping placeholders. Oterwise, have a mod edit your thread to say "this guy is an asshole, proof inside."
You didn't see my edit. The files are actually in the game, it's not just names:
https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/833394546595749888

jV0LHC2.png
And if you can't see the coin is literally the Mario coin sprite stretched then you either are blind or want to be blind.
If you want to keep defending him then whatever. You are right this thread is not about him being an asshole in general, that's why it's not a focus of the OP. But yes, having a track record of being an asshole helps in making believable that he's stealing assets. And him being an asshole regarding the stolen assets makes it worse.

You didn't see my edit. The files are actually in the game, it's not just names:
https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/833394546595749888

And if you can't see the coin is literally the Mario coin sprite stretched then you either are blind or want to be blind.
If you want to keep defending him then whatever. You are right this thread is not about him being an asshole in general, that's why it's not a focus of the OP. But yes, having a track record of being an asshole helps in making believable that he's stealing assets. And him being an asshole regarding the stolen assets makes it worse.

Oh ho ho. Now I still don't agree with you on the visual assets but this audio is pretty cut and dry. Stealing a composition and using different instruments is just as bad as stealing the original lossless audio. Ok, I'm on board.

shiyrley

Banned
Oh ho ho. Now I still don't agree with you on the visual assets but this audio is pretty cut and dry. Stealing a composition and using different instruments is just as bad as stealing the original lossless audio. Ok, I'm on board.
Yeah. I think the whole package (stealing assets & compositions, denying it on twitter and being mean and an asshole to anyone who noticed, striking people on youtube because of criticising the game, banning people from the steam community because of leaving negative reviews, censoring a news page that dared noticing the stolen assets + the extra of all his being-an-asshole track record) really makes this worthy of a Jim Sterling episode, or some news page talking about it, or something. It's the only way we can make some actual buzz about this, and some action can be taken. I don't see any other realistic options.

We are not talking about making a dumb, honest mistake. He's being a complete ass in every possible way.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is the composition in the game though? Like, in the thing you can access without hacking? Because from the Twitter linked it seems like it is just that the files actually consist of Banjo music, not, that it is part of the game.

Is the composition in the game though? Like, in the thing you can access without hacking? Because from the Twitter linked it seems like it is just that the files actually consist of Banjo music, not, that it is part of the game.
Shouldn't he just remove those files from the game files then, rather than berate and ban anyone who points this issue out to him? His behavior is a big part of the problem here.

Phu

Banned

I don't think that matters. Like, if I put a game up on Steam, I don't think I could just stealth-include the entire Beatles discography and claim no foul because they aren't actually in the game proper.

Yoshi

Shouldn't he just remove those files from the game files then, rather than berate and ban anyone who points this issue out to him? His behavior is a big part of the problem here.

Definitely, he should, but I think misbehaviour of the accused in dealing with the accusations does not make it irrelevant what substance the accusations themselves have.

Well, using it in the game or not, he is distributing copyrighted material without the copyright. That's not legal by any definition. Sure, the audio is altered (being I assume midi that he used new instruments for) but the composition itself is still protected.

I don't think it's as bad as some people here do (as I do not agree the visual assets constitute anything beyond questionability and many sites on the internet distribute midi rearrangements online without issue) and these people are conflating his poor behaviour with anything that might be considered illegal. But either way, by the law, this is illegal.

Yoshi

I don't think that matters. Like, if I put a game up on Steam, I don't think I could just stealth-include the entire Beatles discography and claim no foul because they aren't actually in the game proper.

Technically you probably can't, but morally I really don't see an issue and it is not like he is doing anyone any harm with the assets being included as former placeholder art somewhere within the files, disregarding the slim chance that someone feels the need to buy this game to obtain a sample from Bubblegloop Swamp's music. He should remove it and he should not act like a child about it, but if you want to make a big fuss about it, then you should clarify and identify in what ways serious copyright breach has happened.

shiyrley

Banned
He keeps insulting people via the game's account.
Also, he implied that all this mess is some genius plan that he had in mind. He always does this, he screws up and during the shitstorm he acts like "I WAS PLANNING THIS ALL ALONG" or "THIS WAS A SOCIOLOGICAL EXPERIMENT"

Vatticson

Neo Member
Guys... He just called Grant Kirkhope a liar. Full Madness:

C5OicSPXAAATDBQ.jpg

This is pretty amusing, knowing that he stole in a way his music.

Impulsor

This Dalas guy is a piece of shit of a human being. It's scandal after scandal with him here in Spain.

I'm not surprised at all to see this kind of stuff happening when he is involved.

_Ryo_

I just wanna say I cannot read the text in the overall summary screenshot because its compressed to hell, either in part by my phone or due to the creator or image hosting site. I can read the regular text fine but the Steam and Twitter stuff is completely unreadable.

Vatticson

Neo Member
The story goes. The 2D artist, which was credited in the "Kewpie-Jazzy" failed kickstarter? He just said that he wasn't informed of this "Fur-fun" stunt:

[
AXqwmQS.png

https://twitter.com/AdriArt95/status/833947381511106560

Translation: "I'm the 2D artist of this videogame and, as far as I know, nobody informed me about it in the project"

Wow. This is genuinely incredible.

Also disgusting to know he even exchanged words with Grant Kirkhope.

He's been insulting a lot of people in the last few hours, even showing off himself of all the money he earned because of this game. Like he's foreseeing his downfall or something.

Yoshi

This level really is damn close to the Nuts & Bolts level, more than a hommage here imo. But I still do not get how they put so much effort into the graphics - because I really think they are impressive for some youtuber making the game seemingly on his own - yet put absolutely no effort into the gameplay. The gameplay video is hideous.

Pudge

The story goes. The 2D artist, which was credited in the "Kewpie-Jazzy" failed kickstarter? He just said that he wasn't informed of this "Fur-fun" stunt:

[
AXqwmQS.png

https://twitter.com/AdriArt95/status/833947381511106560

Translation: "I'm the 2D artist of this videogame and, as far as I know, nobody informed me about it in the project"

So, I reached out to Adrian yesterday as part of my article on the game, and it's not just that he didn't know about Fur Fun, but he hasn't been paid at all for his work.

https://techraptor.net/content/fur-fun-early-access-adventure

Wow, had never heard of this guy or his project before but he can't be getting away with this...

What if we all linked this thread on the game's discussion page or something? Would he really ban all of us?

Is it just me or does the smaller creature look like Daxter from the PSP game? I only mention it cause I know there are communities around lifting the models from PSP games.

Umi88

Lol, just got banned from the comunity of the "game", just for posting that they didnt get an official pegi rating .

h0AnIQe.png

Vatticson

Neo Member
Lol, just got banned from the comunity of the "game", just for posting that they didnt get an official pegi rating .

h0AnIQe.png

Haha, this is funny, considering that he just created an official thread speaking about "all the drama". He says "you'll only get banned if you insult or harras people". LMAO. You're proof that this isn't always the case.

Switching to another topic... A friend of mine, who is studying computer engineering, just read everything about this Fur Fun controversy, and told me the cat jumping animation is very similar to the one from this web (it is a place where you can download free animations and models, in case you dont know about it).

Also, the way the black cat attacks... I think it's also very similar to the "Great Sword Jump Attack" animation from this page (It's better if you see the animation in action because it's not so obvious from a screenshot. Also I don't know how to make GIFs, sorry :_D). Il'l put here a quick link to the Jim Sterling video as a reference of the cat's way of attacking.

Top Bottom