• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furai no Shiren 3 [Wii] screens

king zell

h-104_77564_shiren01.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren02.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren03.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren04.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren05.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren06.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren07.jpg.jpg

h-104_77564_shiren08.jpg.jpg

Aeana

Wow, it looks even better than the scans let on. I really can't wait... I hope Sugiyama is doing the soundtrack again.

Aeana

It's a Mysterious Dungeon game (commonly called a 'Roguelike')... much like Nightmare of Druaga or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Shiren is actually the original Mysterious Dungeon series, and is also the most difficult.

Aeana said:
It's a Mysterious Dungeon game (commonly called a 'Roguelike')... much like Nightmare of Druaga or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Shiren is actually the original Mysterious Dungeon series, and is also the most difficult.

Oh, this is a Shiren game? For the Wii? Kickass.

CTLance

Hey, this looks nice. If the gameplay holds up
and if it gets released outside Japan
I will need to buy this. I'm a sucker for Dungeon Crawlers.

CTLance

Endow said:
Someone needs to explain to me why consoles games are still region-locked.
Seconded. But it's all part of owning a Nintendo console. A certain amount of masochism is expected. ;)

Edit: added a smiley to avoid misunderstandings.

Evlar

Banned
Endow said:
Consoles are region-locked because intellectual property can be licensed by a copyright holder to specifc regions, and sub-licensees buy these rights for a high price and aren't too happy when consumers can easily side-step their expensive monopoly on the copyright by importing from elsewhere. For instance: a musical score by a major artist my be licensed for a game (say, the soundtrack in GTA3). In order to save money the developer, Rockstar, may choose to purchase the rights to that music ONLY for North America, postponing licensing the rights for other territories until the game has made some bank at home. This is possible because Rockstar can assure the music labels that the game won't be played elsewhere since the game is region-protected on the PS2 and XBox. (Sure, you can bypass it with mod chips, but given the difficulty and cost the licensees consider that an acceptable risk). If there were no region-protection on those consoles games that use a lot of expensive assets like music from major labels, anime, cartoon, or movie characters, and so forth would cost more to make because the licensing would be more expensive (and more complicated... all the sub-licensees in the various regions would potentially have to be party to these agreements).

This is why region locking is driven mostly by the demands of third parties. The first parties are typically less concerned, either because they don't often make licensed games (Nintendo and MS) or because they have their own properties to license (Sony).

What about handhelds? Why don't they have region protection? I'm not certain, but I would guess it's a combination of less third party presence due to the long domination of Nintendo, and less concern among licensees due to the old "ghetto" image of handhelds.

eve241

The Sphinx said:
Consoles are region-locked because intellectual property can be licensed by a copyright holder to specifc regions, and sub-licensees buy these rights for a high price and aren't too happy when consumers can easily side-step their expensive monopoly on the copyright by importing from elsewhere. For instance: a musical score by a major artist my be licensed for a game (say, the soundtrack in GTA3). In order to save money the developer, Rockstar, may choose to purchase the rights to that music ONLY for North America, postponing licensing the rights for other territories until the game has made some bank at home. This is possible because Rockstar can assure the music labels that the game won't be played elsewhere since the game is region-protected on the PS2 and XBox. (Sure, you can bypass it with mod chips, but given the difficulty and cost the licensees consider that an acceptable risk). If there were no region-protection on those consoles games that use a lot of expensive assets like music from major labels, anime, cartoon, or movie characters, and so forth would cost more to make because the licensing would be more expensive (and more complicated... all the sub-licensees in the various regions would potentially have to be party to these agreements).

This is why region locking is driven mostly by the demands of third parties. The first parties are typically less concerned, either because they don't often make licensed games (Nintendo and MS) or because they have their own properties to license (Sony).

What about handhelds? Why don't they have region protection? I'm not certain, but I would guess it's a combination of less third party presence due to the long domination of Nintendo, and less concern among licensees due to the old "ghetto" image of handhelds.

What about PC games?

Regardless licenses IP isn't that significant in the grande scheme of things.Most developers still flesh their own worlds (altough pretty unoriginal ones most of the time), make their own music,characters etc..

Zeed

Banned
Well I've never heard of this series before and probably won't get around to playing it, but the graphics are quite nice.

Zeed said:
Well I've never heard of this series before and probably won't get around to playing it, but the graphics are quite nice.
It seems to be a top down view though(Kind of) you know like in the vast majority of MMORPG's? The first 4 shots are also cutscenes, well except the one. Bah. Should use Tales of Symphonias camera style.

Good looking characters but you'll barely get to see them.

Endow said:
Have the reasons they were locked in the past disappeared?
Endow said:
Regardless licenses IP isn't that significant in the grande scheme of things.Most developers still flesh their own worlds (altough pretty unoriginal ones most of the time), make their own music,characters etc..
If a game like this were to come out in America, though, it probably wouldn't be published by Chunsoft. Different publishers could license the same game for different regions, but end up competing with each other.

Saitou

Banned
CrushDance said:
It seems to be a top down view though(Kind of) you know like in the vast majority of MMORPG's? The first 4 shots are also cutscenes, well except the one. Bah. Should use Tales of Symphonias camera style.

I take it you've never played a Roguelike before.

I'm just glad it's not in ASCII.

Aeana

CrushDance said:

Here is how the SNES Shiren game plays, and how this one will as well.

ethelred

Looks nice.

JoshuaJSlone said:
If a game like this were to come out in America, though, it probably wouldn't be published by Chunsoft.

Chunsoft isn't publishing it in Japan, so yeah, I doubt they'll publish it in the US, either.

Sega's the Japanese publisher, just like they published Shiren DS. It's a collaborative arrangement Sega and Chunsoft set up to give the games better distribution and marketing.

And since Sega's (surprisingly!) localizing Shiren DS, who knows, they might bring Shiren 3 over, too.

mclem

Aeana said:
Didn't a Torneko title come out before the first Shiren? Or do you mean original as in "not based on another licence"?

Aeana

mclem said:
Didn't a Torneko title come out before the first Shiren? Or do you mean original as in "not based on another licence"?

Oops, yeah; Torneko's Great Adventure was first, for SFC.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What's with the rat?

ethelred said:
Sega's the Japanese publisher, just like they published Shiren DS. It's a collaborative arrangement Sega and Chunsoft set up to give the games better distribution and marketing.

And since Sega's (surprisingly!) localizing Shiren DS, who knows, they might bring Shiren 3 over, too.

when's this coming out?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Shiren is pretty ruthless.

I'm surprised by the realistic proportions in gameplay.

Top Bottom