• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Further clarification by Capcom on DMC5:SE: Series S will not have RT. Xbox Series X will get Direct X Ray Tracing Patch at a later date

What is the reason why the Xbox Series S is missing RT?

• Total voters

FlyyGOD

That's the thing, Sony hasn't shown their GPU hardware specifics yet. We don't know what their RT solution is or how well their API makes use of it.
2 weeks until launch and you think they saving "superior specs" until November 12th? Who does that?

Concern

pVnQhQE.jpg

Apparently i was already mistaken with Watch Dogs supporting rt on the S. The picture changes nothing, all these guys falsely advertise. Ps4 pro doubles tf to 8.4 ring a bell?

Still don't expect much rt support on the low end console. You get what you pay for.

Makes sense since the Series S has underpowered specs. It's going to come down to how much effort the development team wants to put behind cutting corners to achieve visual parity.

To be fair to Capcom, this isn't on them. The sooner Xbox's marketing team stops misleading people about the Series S's capabilities the sooner people will calibrate their expectations.

Banned
Sony has shown games with ray-tracing in place. Launch games at that.
What has xbox shown?

this is similar to an RTX2070 in terms of RT performance, and that's with an unfair comparison since Minecraft RTX on PC was in development for 12 months and Nvidia directly worked on it themselves. while the Minecraft DXR demo in the video was ported over by a single guy within a few weeks.

FlyyGOD

*Direct X ray tracing on Xbox Series X with a future update for DMC5 and Halo. PS5 has RT day 1 in many games.

Currently, PS5 looks the stronger console in terms of RT in games.
How long you think this advantage is going to last one or two months maybe? When raytracing is available on all the games what then?

Sushen

A bad news for S if no other dev ships RT for it. If others support RT on S, that only proves Capcom has incompetent engineering team or Sony paid them to do it. Time will tell.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
How long you think this advantage is going to last one or two months maybe? When raytracing is available on all the games what then?

They will just come up with another straw man argument, it’s what console warriors do.

Could’ve avoided this entire pointless interaction if you just posted the dev source itself like Cornholio did.

Lol... not my fault you're not up to date with news. That has been known for a while. I provided a link with a translation for the original source which is found in that reddit post. All you had to do was read it. Nothing has changed from that day until now.

Maybe next time do a google search before bitching? Plenty of hits.

Last edited:
Apparently i was already mistaken with Watch Dogs supporting rt on the S. The picture changes nothing, all these guys falsely advertise. Ps4 pro doubles tf to 8.4 ring a bell?

Still don't expect much rt support on the low end console. You get what you pay for.

Sony never advertised 8.4 tflops at fp16 in any marketing materials for the PS4 Pro. The official site always listed the fp32 number. https://www.playstation.com/en-au/explore/ps4/tech-specs/

Banned
A bad news for S if no other dev ships RT for it. If others support RT on S, that only proves Capcom has incompetent engineering team or Sony paid them to do it. Time will tell.

Watch Dogs confirmed RT reflections and GI on Series S

Can't do RT on a current gen game but has ray tracing in Watch Dogs Legion?

Anyone able to help me understand this or am I getting my wires crossed here.

Capcom is a japanese publisher, the team behind DMC5 most likely has a small budget and maybe even got late access to Xbox dev kits.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->

this is similar to an RTX2070 in terms of RT performance, and that's with an unfair comparison since Minecraft RTX on PC was in development for 12 months and Nvidia directly worked on it themselves. while the Minecraft DXR demo in the video was ported over by a single guy within a few weeks.

Looking at the date of the vid, I honestly dont even believe that this was running on an actual console. Most likely "PC representive of the console" or dev kit at best.

Banned
Looking at the date of the vid, I honestly dont even believe that this was running on an actual console. Most likely "PC representive of the console" or dev kit at best.

they literally had it run in front of them on the dev kit and dev kits run basically the same as retail consoles. anything you saw "running on PS5 hardware" was 100% also on a dev kit btw.

Last edited:

Banned
Wonder why Microsoft is billing it as "Direct X" Ray Tracing and not just plain RT. Are we looking at a software solution here? or just marketing?

that's the name of their API that is also used on PC. the cross compatibility is most likely used for PR, to suggest an easy porting process.

Alright, so I was right.

yes and everything we saw "running on PS5" also ran on dev kits. developers don't just have retail units laying around you know.

Last edited:
that's the name of their API that is also used on PC. the cross compatibility is most likely used for PR, to suggest an easy porting process.

yes and everything we saw "running on PS5" also ran on dev kits. developers don't just have retail unity laying around you know.

OK I see.

Last edited:

Concern

Blue Spring

yes and everything we saw "running on PS5" also ran on dev kits. developers don't just have retail units laying around you know.
Yeah thats true but Sony is delivering on their promises and what they have shown only improved over time.
Is there a minecraft ray-tracing patch announced for series x/s?

kyliethicc

Nice try justifying the bullshit. Its a 4.2 tf console, no need to mention anything about 8.4. Just another glorified liar.

Cerny himself.
Everything Cerny said is true. You know what FP16 is right? Are you trolling or just uninformed?

See how the RTX 2080 is a 10 TF FP32 and therefore has 20 TF of FP16 compute? This is rather basic stuff.

mpYUYUi.jpg

Last edited:

Cerny himself.
I’m not doubting Cerny saying the PS4 Pro supports it, that’s how we know it has the feature. But there’s a big difference in Sony slapping that on the marketing materials and using it as a major talking point versus Cerny saying something in a Eurogamer interview that most consumers are never going to read.

Banned
Yeah thats true but Sony is delivering on their promises and what they have shown only improved over time.
Is there a minecraft ray-tracing patch announced for series x/s?

I will not go down this path because I would need to open the vault of Sony lies *caugh* PS3 is a 2TF system *caugh*, and I, unlike you, am not interested in stupid console warring.

Tschumi

You've gotta be delusional to think a bargain basement console in a generation which barely manages RT as it works right now on top end consoles could support such a feature.

Blue Spring

actually even at $200, that's $50 per tflop.

Ps5 has 10 tflops for $400 or $40 per tflop for the cheapest version. That's what the xss should aim to match. It needs to be $160.
I did not use exact math but you are right. At $200 its still inferior value compared to the PS5 DE and even at $160 would be not low enough if you throw the custom SSD solution from the PS5 into the mix.

I will not go down this path because I would need to open the vault of Sony lies *caugh* PS3 is a 2TF system *caugh*, and I, unlike you, am not interested in stupid console warring.
Alrighty

Tripolygon

Banned

Cerny himself.
Rapid Packed math.

"With over 12 teraflops of FP32 compute, RDNA 2 also allows for double that with FP16 (yes, rapid-packed math is back). However, machine learning workloads often use much lower precision than that, so the RDNA 2 shaders were adapted still further"

"We knew that many inference algorithms need only 8-bit and 4-bit integer positions for weights and the math operations involving those weights comprise the bulk of the performance overhead for those algorithms," says Andrew Goossen. "So we added special hardware support for this specific scenario. The result is that Series X offers 49 TOPS for 8-bit integer operations and 97 TOPS for 4-bit integer operations. Note that the weights are integers, so those are TOPS and not TFLOPs. The net result is that Series X offers unparalleled intelligence for machine learning."

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

Last edited:

Banned
I guess it all depends on how they do their calculations. Kind of like how Microsoft came up with that instantly available 100GBs. They both do the same thing with certain figures.

there is no figure that would get you to 2TF of compute power on a PS3. not even if you combine both CPU and GPU. it was a lie, nothing more.
and the instantly available 100GB, I mean, yeah... idk wtf they are saying there lol

I guess the question is how far down the line the patch will come.
If you buy a Series X, then it wouldn't be worth buying the game until the patch is ready.
As someone else said, I wonder if Sony paid for RT exclusivity, or if the dev tools for Series X are behind. But then again, Watch Dogs has RT.
Either could be true I guess.

there is no figure that would get you to 2TF of compute power on a PS3. not even if you combine both CPU and GPU. it was a lie, nothing more.
and the instantly available 100GB, I mean, yeah... idk wtf they are saying there lol

I'm guessing it's just some random BS figure that's given to make the VA sound more impressive than it is?

Typical marketing tactics.

The PC version of the game won't have RT either, so not having RT doesn't automatically mean it couldn't have it.

Of course, that doesn't fit with the narrative.
What narrative? why everything is a console war? The version with RT could be deliver in PC after, add RT is more than
just make click in a checkbox.

The RT is extremely expensive is miracle than the XSX and PS5 can do it 4k 30fps, that is why the 60 fps only will be deliver
in this game running to 1080p.

Aside many here believe many things in your games doesn't scale perfectly with TF or memory, if they don't add it is because
is not worth to it in a game which will be not able to reach 60 fps in a decent resolution a probably the encounters many problems
even to optimize to 30 fps in XSS.

Why aren't you guys comparing the PS5 to Series X instead of S? Series X at 499 is a far better value than the PS5 tech wise.

This is coming from someone who thinks the TF is a unique and perfect way to evaluate the performance, this is much more complex than
a single metric any person who say the opposite probably still be a student or never dev anything bigger than a web page.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

What narrative? why everything is a console war? The version with RT could be deliver in PC after, add RT is more than
just make click checkbox.

The RT is extremely expensive is miracle than the XSX and PS5 can do it 4k 30fps, that is why the 60 fps only will be deliver
in this game running to 1080p.

Aside many here believe many things in your games doesn't scale perfectly with TF or memory, if they don't add it is because
is not worth to it in a game which will be not able to reach 60 fps in a decent resolution a probably the encounters many problems
even to optimize to 30 fps in XSS.

This is coming from someone who thinks the TF is a unique and perfect way to evaluate the performance, this is much more complex than
a single metric any person who say the opposite probably still be an student or never dev anything bigger than a web page.
Where did I bring up teraflops? I only talked about compute units in which ps5 has far less than the Series X. Ps5 has 36 and Series X has 52. Denial isn't a river in Egypt.

Last edited:
Where did I bring up teraflops? I only talked about compute units in which ps5 has far less than the Series X. Ps5 has 36 and Series X has 52.
Really CUs how you archive to use something worse, Flops is an deficient metric to measure
performance in all the worloads, CU is not even a metric to measure it.

This your first D'Ghost thread?
Yeah please explain me, if I wrong I will say it

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Really CUs how you archive to use something worse, Flops is an deficient metric to measure
performance in all the worloads, CU is not even a metric to measure it.

Yeah please explain me, if I wrong I will say it
You going on record saying ps5 is the more powerful system?

Top Bottom