• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Further clarification by Capcom on DMC5:SE: Series S will not have RT. Xbox Series X will get Direct X Ray Tracing Patch at a later date

What is the reason why the Xbox Series S is missing RT?

• Total voters

Bankai

Well that certainly doesn’t line up with Microsoft saying Xbox Series S is “designed to deliver the same great next gen experience at 1440p”......

Fact of the matter is, lots of RT titles on Series X will be at dynamic 4K dropping to 1440p when necessary. The Series S just isn't designed for something as GPU intensive as RT, unless you are willing to REALLY drop resolution down to numbers.. which really don't seem next-gen at all (combined with 30fps).

geordiemp

If raytracing is in the Series S version of Watch Dogs an open world game way more demanding than DMC5 then this is a developer issue.

Not really, watch dogs you have 32 ms to do your CPU and GPU stuff with some nice time left over to do ray tracing. And lets face it, watch dogs even on a 3090 looked poor, was hadly pushing the graphics lol - the fine graphic details were not present....at all.

Ray tracing at 60 FPS is harder to do, have we seen any ray tracing on consoles at 60 FPS.

From the DF analysis only Spiderman on console but that looks like they cut down BVH and used more SSR, but DF could not tell.

So, the only confirmed BVH ray tracing in a 16 ms frame on console is DMC on ps5 so far - we dont know the reason.

Last edited:
I mean its almost half the cost of ps5. Is this really a surprise to anyone other than sony fanboys??
Its not . 100$ difference which makes xss a very bad value proposition compared to ps5 DE.

For 100$ more u get 2.5x gpu, 2x ssd usable size,2.3 times ssd speed , almost 2× ram Thats much faster .

So yea that xss looking kinda like a hot mess now . No wonder all devs hated it on twitter on the day it was announced.

So nothing to do with Sony fanboys, thanks

Sure, you guys aren't really surprised/concerned either, I agree.

For 100$ more u get 2.5x gpu, 2x ssd usable size,2.3 times ssd speed , almost 2× ram Thats much faster .

You're right.

Having a weaker GPU, CPU and RAM at similar money does make a console bad value comparatively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, you guys aren't really surprised/concerned either, I agree.

You're right.

Having a weaker GPU, CPU and RAM at similar money does make a console bad value comparatively.
Lol all them xsx theoretical number on paper has led to halo infinite , dirt 5 and yakuza 7 with tons of popin on subnautica which x1 and ps4 didnt even have. Also xsx getting RT patched later.

So yea ps5 is even better value than xsx cause it has shown its power with games instead of talking about numbers and its getting all next gen features on launch .

Sorry thats just how it goes. U don't talk. U show .

😌😌😌

Lol all them xsx theoretical number on paper has led to halo infinite , dirt 5 and yakuza 7 with tons of popin on subnautica which x1 and ps4 didnt even have. Also xsx getting RT patched later.

So yea ps5 is even better value than xsx cause it has shown its power with games instead of talking about numbers and its getting all next gen features on launch .

Sorry thats just how it goes. U don't talk. U show .

😌😌😌

???

Not sure what you're talking about, doesn't seem to be on topic or related to what you quoted.

Sounds like you're trying to start a console war. You don't have a history of starting console wars, do you?

Last edited by a moderator:

longdi

Banned
basically thats what we know already.

XDK is quite behind SDK.
Launch games are not making the best of Series X

Series S meanwhile, also already disclosed that users can expect to lose some graphics whistles.

MS has been clear, and there is no controversies to had. 🤷‍♀️

DinoD

If only MS didn't gimp the RAM on this one. It may still sell well, but otherwise could have been a real winner. At least in U.S.

oagboghi2

Maybe you should actually wait until you get some sales data Nostradamus.
I’m sorry you think kids and casuals are going to pickthe series s this holiday season? Over the switch? 😂

XDK is quite behind SDK.

Series S meanwhile, also already disclosed that users can expect to lose some graphics whistles.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
this is not what you guys were saying before

Last edited:

Calverz

Its not . 100$ difference which makes xss a very bad value proposition compared to ps5 DE.

So yea that xss looking kinda like a hot mess now . No wonder all devs hated it on twitter on the day it was announced.
One word pal: Gamepass. PS5 digital is horrible value in the long run as you'll pay £70 to download games.

XSS will be king of value.

aw gee, the underpowered budget box can`t actually pull off the most expensive graphical features?
Who would have thought that thing would struggle with tech that nearly brings the XSX to its knees..............
:messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming:

oh yeah, everyone but the marketing division.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

XDK is quite behind SDK.

XDK is SDK, did you mean like MS SDK is behind Sony SDK?

Max_Po

Banned

4ce.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
Keep saying it all you want, but 1440p at 30 fps is not crap performance. Why do you want to be one of "those" guys?
Because those won't be locked and there will be sub 30fps and sub 1440p in heavy action. I am quite tired of the sub 30fps frame drops to be honest. If RT was full path I would understand but for a few puddles lol screw that give me more performance.

tryDEATH

Developers choice to concentrate on the more powerful consoles first. There is much smaller development team working on this DLC and patch.

Shmunter

So here’s the thing. I rag on XsS holding back advancement due to the low baseline. But here is an example where the S would benefit XsX/PS5 by offering its setup as the performance mode on the high end systems ~ 60fps

What’s the reason for the single 30fps RT mode?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

So here’s the thing. I rag on XsS holding back advancement due to the low baseline. But here is an example where the S would benefit XsX/PS5 by offering its setup as the performance mode on the high end systems ~ 60fps

What’s the reason for the single 30fps RT mode?
  • 4K/30fps with Ray Tracing ON
  • 1080p/60fps with Ray Tracing ON
  • 4K/60fps with Ray Tracing OFF
  • Up to 120fps with Ray Tracing OFF

Shmunter

I wish MS had gotten a digital console at the same power as the X for $399. This weak console is going to hold chain itself to more powerful consoles and cause issues all generation long.
They need a cheap sku as the cloud streaming baseline.

geordiemp

Is this a sign that the PS5 dev environment is more mature and it's easier to work with at the moment?
Weird that Series X won't have it at launch.

Or its a sign that ps5 is good at BVH interections and ray tracing for a console.

Both consoles dont have the same architecture and will have differing strengths and weaknesses.

Lets wait until we see a XSX game with full BVH reflections so we can compare. I believe Gears used SSR so tells us nothing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom