• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Nintendo Switch Titles

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I really hate the idea of spin-offs galore after this great first year. I'm sorry to say but I think many of your ideas sound creatively bankrupt. Also that Zelda collection idea sounds horrific.

I'd love them to ask Team Ninja to work with them on a new IP like Nioh rather than have them dedicate resources to another Musou after Fire Emblem, but I get the feeling a Zelda followup is probably more likely.

That being said I would love a fresh take on 2D Mario, since they've done Mario Maker twice now and it'd be nice to see a new direction before revisiting that again to give both 2D Mario and Mario Maker some fresh ideas.

Nintendo has also said they plan on asking their developers for more new IPs, so I'm hoping to see more new ideas like Arms being pushed and published by Nintendo for Switch in the future.

Takat

Wave Race seems like a great thing to revive from the Mario Kart team, maybe do an all around sports game Wave Race/1080/Air something.

I would love more Arms and Splatoon from Nintendo.

Griss

I agree with the OP that there's a chance for them to finally tackle some long-ignored IP once this two year run comes to an end, but then you go and start listing off a bunch of sequels and spin-offs, lol. Spin-offs are the one thing they need to ignore. It's seen as low-quality content by pretty much everyone. When they did Triforce Heroes and Federation Force, no one was happy and no one bought the games. New ideas should have new IP.

Anyway, Zelda team and Mario Odyssey team will immediately be working on sequels. I feel like everyone else is fair game to do whatever and I hope they branch out.

As for 2D Zelda, I just replayed Link Between Worlds over the past 3 days and while it is playable as hell, I can't lie - I just want more Breath of the Wild and if a 2D Zelda gets in the way of that I wouldn't be happy.

I'm really looking forward to the second wave of games because Arms, Kirby and Yoshi are doing nothing for me right now, so I'm glad those will be out of the way and can't wait to see what else is cooking.

My top 2 pipedream games:

*ANIMAL CROSSING SWITCH
*LUIGI'S MANSION SWITCH

I'd be shocked if we didn't see both after the mega-success of both on 3DS. Animal Crossing 2018, Luigi's Mansion 2019.

I really hate the idea of spin-offs galore after this great first year. I'm sorry to say but I think many of your ideas sound creatively bankrupt. Also that Zelda collection idea sounds horrific.

I don't get what's horrific about a collection of the Zelda games that released for Wii U and 3DS in HD, 2 games are already in HD and the other 2 seem future-proofed to be eventually in HD (high res textures, higher poly count, more decoration/color in overworld)

(Except for Triforce Heroes/Link Between Worlds, those can stay as future Virtual Console releases)

Golden Sun reboot or a new property in the same vein gameplay wise. Give Camelot a decent budget and enough time for once, they have talent that's been squandered on increasingly lower quality Mario Sports games for years.

I would also be down for a Mario Party that isn't trash. Nd Cube needs to take a hard look at what made the series good in its earlier days and focus on making something that encapsulates that while adding elements that don't break anything.

Animal Crossing. I've been waiting to jump into the series with the next entry for years now.

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing Smash on Switch, I also hope that Sakurai is working on something new. Kid Icarus Uprising was fantastic and I'd like to see what else he could make when he's not focusing on Smash for like 3 years.

I would love to see an Okami 2 (I didn't like Okamiden) or something similar from Platinum. Never going to happen because of Capcom, but maybe they could do something that mirrors it in the same way that Bayonetta mirrored Devil May Cry.

I also wonder what From Software is working on for the system, assuming they still are. I'd be okay with simple ports of the Souls games.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I don't get what's horrific about a collection of the Zelda games that released for Wii U and 3DS in HD

(Except for Triforce Heroes/Link Between Worlds, those can stay as future Virtual Console releases)

Oh I guess I should've made it clear I meant his approach to the collection:
Zelda collection- Skyward Sword remade for $50 releases in March. Season passes sold along with it. One season pass for OoT and MM which release digitally in May and July and are packaged together for $40 at retail in July with the season passes available for the other games. Last Season pass is WW and TP which release digitally in September and November and are packaged together at retail for $60 in November as well. The full collection has a physical release one year after SS HD for $150.
I can understand releasing SS separately, but charging $100 for the rest with a $150 physical release of the collection? That's not going to fly, I can guarantee that.

A New SMB and a proper 2D Zelda need to happen. We also need at least 2 more new IPs with the originality and polish of ARMS and Splatoon.

I don't think a Smash 4 port is happening. Smash 5 is happening.

Smash 4 is way too big of an investment to not have an enhanced port on Switch, especially with the number of amiibo and amount of DLC it got. A brand new Smash would probably release way too late into the Switch's life.

One of the best 3ds game? What's wrong with it

It's fine, but most people who demanded a new Kid Icarus game were doing so with the expectation that it could become a Zelda-caliber franchise. Let's not pretend otherwise. No one realized they were actually asking for Uprising when they asked for Kid Icarus to be revived, even if they were ultimately happy with the end result.

Edit- here's a quote from a 2007 gaf thread asking what people want from a new Kid Icarus. And this is why the "revive such and such dead franchise" demands are silly. What people expect and what they're actually going to get are hugely divergent.

3-D, 3rd person Metroidvania, with an awesome fighting system in addition to the ranged bow attacks and powerups. Flight sections, RPG elements, and dungeons. A good deal of platforming as well. There would be some areas that are pretty linear "levels" and others that were more open for exploration.

Basically you put Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Panzer Dragoon, and God of War in a blender.

And that's why people love the series... the original concept is dripping with untapped potential.

Wave Race seems like a great thing to revive from the Mario Kart team, maybe do an all around sports game Wave Race/1080/Air something.

I would love more Arms and Splatoon from Nintendo.
Would LOVE a wave race game. 64 was one of my favorite racers of all time. Was the GameCube version any good?

Oh I guess I should've made it clear I meant his approach to the collection:

I can understand releasing SS separately, but charging $100 for the rest with a $150 physical release of the collection? That's not going to fly, I can guarantee that.

Oh my god I didn't see that one lol yeah no I wouldn't want that at all

I envisioned a 4-pack akin to the Gamecube Zelda Collection

Griss

I'd love to see Wave Race, Pilotwings and Wii Sports Resort mixed in to one new sports IP. Could be awesome. Get rid of the Miis in favour of new characters - maybe the old Wave Race characters. But there would be plenty of content to justify a full priced game there. I'm not sure if a Wave Race or Pilotwings could demand $60 on its own, but with all that stuff together? You've got a strong package.

The Crew 2 looks like it might scratch a lot of this itch for me as it has planes, boats, bikes and cars, but I'd love to see Nintendo's take on this stuff.

And I'd love to see a new equivalent to Wuhu Island done in HD with better visuals. Flying and jetskiing around that place could be tons of fun.

Would LOVE a wave race game. 64 was one of my favorite racers of all time. Was the GameCube version any good?

It was so fucking good. You missed out, I'm afraid. Incredible game.

Neonep

Smash 4 is way too big of an investment to not have an enhanced port on Switch, especially with the number of amiibo and amount of DLC it got. A brand new Smash would probably release way too late into the Switch's life.
They could reuse Smash 4 assets and use it as the foundation of Smash 5. What if Smash 5's base roster was bigger than Smash 4 final roster.

Mentok

Banned
As mentioned in another thread:

I want a new Mario Strikers!

On top of that, I'd like to see:
-A loot-based RPG
-A 2D shooter in the vein of Contra/Metal Slug
-A new 3D action game ala Bayo

Griss

Mario Kart is so popular (and they only like to make one a gen) that I honestly think they should consider making a second kart racing game. Diddy Kong Racing would easily be different enough from Mario Kart to justify its existence imo. Different vehicles, single player story mode, HUB overworld.... I think it could work.

They could reuse Smash 4 assets and use it as the foundation of Smash 5. What if Smash 5's base roster was bigger than Smash 4 final roster.

My dream:

Smash 4 DX + more characters, stages, and more DLC

OR

Smash 5 with the base roster being the same as Smash 4 + new characters and stages and more DLC

So basically anything that doesn't make Nintendo start from scratch again lol I want to play Smash Bros next year, not 2020

What your saying is literally a Smash 4 port with added characters and they changed the the name to 5

It will be Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch

orioto

Good Art™
I know what Mario the world really needs, but not sure it's good for this gen or the next.
It needs a Jump of the wild Mario. They now can do that, i'm 100% sure they can do it perfectly.

A 3D mario, where every levels are connected in a coherent, cartoony, mario+lapin crêtin visuals map, where you see the whole thing like in botw. Except instead of empty plains and mountains, everything is like a surrealistic world made of platforming constructions, like a gigantic toy world where you can jump and discover new challenges everywhere! That's the mario i dream of!

TZchassis

Here's the games that I would buy day 1

Mario
- Super Mario 3D World Sequel
The linear approach + real co-op is great for the Switch portability and 2player joycons aspects.

- Super Mario Bros. Sequel
A new artstyle and gameplay elements (similar to how they expiremented with coins in NSMB2) would be a great referesh to the now stale NSMB formula and style. 2D Mario is a great seller and is different enough from Odyssey's gameplay to warrant a sequel.

- Super Mario Maker
Created a lot of buzz when it launched on the Wii U. New artstyle, co-op, missing elements from the creation toolkit, better level curation & discoverability would make a great sequel.

- Mario Party 11
HD Rumble minigames.

- Mario Strikers Sequel
- Mario Tennis Sequel

Zelda
- Zelda HD Remasters: OOT, MM, WW, TP, SS
Upscale the 3DS ramesters of OOT & MM and port the WW & TP HD remasters. Easy money & it would help with software droughts if they release each every 4-6 months.

- Zelda PvP & Co-op focused game using BOTW engine, modes can be: PvP battles where you start without items etc.., Co-op Dunguens & Boss Battles. Let us make our own hyrule knights rather than multiple links.
I think this HAS to happen and is more interesting than the Four Swords 2D gameplay.

- Zelda Maker
Artstyles of Zelda 1, ALTP, LA, ALBW. Co-op gameplay similar to four swords.

- Hyrule Warriors DX or Sequel
Just because I never played it on my Wii U.

Metroid
- Metroid 2D Sequel / Samus Returns for Switch
No longer have my 3DS

- Metroid Hunters
sequel to the DS game with more hunters, game modes, etc. Compete with Destiny, Overwatch and compliment Splatoon with a FPS rather than a TPS shooter, expand Metroid's audience.

- Metroid Maker ?
Not sure if this is a good idea

Sequels to:
- Donkey Kong Country
- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Luigi's Mansion
- Punch Out!!
- F-Zero
- Rythem Heaven
- WarioWare
- Nintendo Land
- Custom Robo

$10 Classic Games with new modes, online co-op & multiplayer and updated graphics:
- Exitebike
- Balloon Fight
- Duck Hunt
- Ice Climber

Finally
A new Takamaru game with a Soulsbourne gameplay or something new and interesting

I really need a Zelda Maker that switches graphics between:

-NES Zelda
-Link to the Past Zelda
-Minish Cap Zelda
-Link's Awakening/Oracle games Zelda

-Link Between Worlds? Would be weird to lock those graphics to a grid though

ozfunghi

Oh... i was hoping this would be about actual future Switch games. I mean, a list of announced games with some info, screenshots, art...

Anyway, I would like Animal Crossing to be released on this thing presto. That and Pikmin 4. And a new Mother/Earthbound game... like those crazy 3D renders.

onett2xhstg.jpg

I would pay 100 bucks for that.

jmizzal

Since No More Heroes 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are both announced

Kid icarus uprising 2 has to happen, the 3DS game sold well and also reviewed well, dont know why they wont make another one but keep pumping out these Kirby games lol

I want as many new IPs of the caliber of ARMS and Splatoon as possible. Nintendo needs to build new compelling core IPs to lay the foundation for the Switch generation. The Switch is the first time Nintendo has made a clean break with old hardware for like 20 years: A 3DS is a DSi is also a GBA (this is how ambassador games ran), Wii U is a Wii is a Gamecube. The Switch architecture will likely serve as the basis for the next ~10 years of Nintendo software.

While Nintendo did some good things in the Wii/U/3/DS generations, including stellar entries in their core franchises (for the most part), Nintendo's blue ocean of casual gamers has been swallowed by smart devices. This also means that their software output geared to that market has not really made a lasting impact on the breadth of the IP that they can leverage going forward. People aren't going to play Brain Age, Wii Fit etc on the Switch, they will just use smart device games or apps. They can't chase that market again, other than by making games on smart devices to serve as promotional material to introduce players to their IP. ARMS and Splatoon, and to some degree the direction of BOTW and Odyssey give me hope that they've learned that lesson.

My own personal fanboy wish was inspired by one of the fake E3 switch leaks: Luigi's Mansion 3: Sarasaland Spirits. Super Mario Land was the first video game I ever played, and Luigi's Mansion was one of my favorite Gamecube games. I'd love to see an LM game with Luigi exploring haunted ruins of the different Kingdoms in Sarasaland, maybe fighting the dead ghost versions of the bosses Mario defeated in Super Mario Land.

My own personal fanboy wish was inspired by one of the fake E3 switch leaks: Luigi's Mansion 3: Sarasaland Spirits. Super Mario Land was the first video game I ever played, and Luigi's Mansion was one of my favorite Gamecube games. I'd love to see an LM game with Luigi exploring haunted ruins of the different Kingdoms in Sarasaland, maybe fighting the dead ghost versions of the bosses Mario defeated in Super Mario Land.

That's actually a really funny idea. It also reinforces the P1/P2 dynamic between Mario and Luigi with Luigi following behind Mario and literally cleaning up his messes with a vacuum.

dadjumper

Port every Wii U game because I never bought one. Esp. TW101, Pikmin, Bayo1&2, 3D World, Mario Maker
A new 2D Zelda is a cool idea! I actually never thought of that but surely they'll make another one someday, right?
New F-Zero in the style of X, not GX. Way more appealing and not as difficult.
Xenoblade HD
New FE game
Persona 5 port so I can play it on the go, I guess
Kid Icarus (just update the 3DS one with better controls and we're good tbh)
Animal Crossing, of course
Super Mario Land 4

Fatal Frame 6.

With HD rumble integration.

Please.

Oh, and a Tokyo Mirage Sessions sequel. One of the best games on the Wii U. Even if they just ported the original to the Switch I would probably buy it again.

RPGamer92

Banned
Animal Crossing
Bayonetta 3
Persona 5 Crimson
Persona 3/4 Collection
Monster Hunter XX localization
Dragon Quest XI localization
F-Zero GX-2
Skyward Sword HD
2D Zelda game
2D Metroid game
Edit: Also would add NintendosBooger's suggestion of Switch Sports Resort as well!

I could list like 50 new games I'd like to see from Nintendo. I'll name a couple though.

Mario Party!! I've been watching TheRunawayGuys play the Mario Party games and it reminded me how much fun the old Mario Party games were. Nintendo is listening now (software) so give us a real Mario Party again and with online!

A new Earthbound. I know this will probably never happen, but I can hope.

Paper Mario- please we need a return of Paper Mario. I wouldn't expect a new Paper Mario game until 2019 and I seriously hope it goes back to its RPG roots because the series was never broke to begin with.

I'm interested on how they'll do 2D Mario. I can see a Mario Maker sequel in 2018 and a new 2D Mario game in 2019.

I want something from Camelot. Whether that's a Golden Sun title that wraps the story up or a brand new (preferably RPG) title is fine by me.

Other than that I want new IP and fresh takes on older ones. New Earthbound, Star Fox (I know they recently released Zero), F-Zero, or any other of their older games would be cool. And after Arms, Splatoon, and Breath of the Wild, I'll take whatever they offer.

Also, we know last-gen third party ports aren't coming, though they likely would have done very well in the first year had Nintendo not gone with a "no ports" policy. So no sense in holding out. I think we'll get a few more Wii U ports and eventually the virtual console, but new IP and fresh takes are what I'm most interested in because the first year has been really good so far.

I'm almost more curious about what hardware is gonna come than the games.

Right now I'm imagining

Metroid Prime 4 Joycons: Neon Orange

Metroid Prime 4 Pro Controller: Neon Orange and Neon Yellow grips, clear black body with Samus' S logo in the center and little Metroids imprinted around it (like the Squids on the Splatoon Pro Controller)

That's honestly the only one I can see them doing. Maybe a Purple set for Pikmin? I don't know what other games besides Metroid would "need" a Pro Controller like Splatoon 2 did... maybe one for Smash? I wonder what colors they'd even use for that...

Mario doesn't 'need' a Pro Controller so I doubt they'll make one for that, and we already have Neon Red JoyCons...

Top Bottom