• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Metroid?

Boney

Banned
I really get pissy because I don't think 3D Metroid is a good representation, yet alone replacement of the Metroid saga. Same as Mario and Zelda.

Really, the best case scenario is

MetroidFusion.jpg
MetroidPrimebox.jpg

7Th

Iga is jobless now, they can get him to direct Metroid 3DS; he has more than enough experience, I think.

Rafaelcsa

I'd like a sequel to the gameplay ideas of Other M. An ironed out, more polished sequel with improved level design and better music would be my perfect idea of 3D Metroid. It'd be even better if the story was minimal this time, but, really, I didn't mind that much Other M's story. It was fine for what it was. Could have been a lot worse. Still, minimal story is definitely preferable.

I guess not many people agree, but I think Other M nailed how Samus' movement and the combat in 3D Metroid should be. The controls were amazing. It controls better than many games on HD consoles which use a bajillion buttons and combinations. It's definitely a great start to build a fantastic 3D Metroid on top of it. The game just needed less linear, more well thought-out level design (without artificial locking of doors and passages... I hate that). And also better music.

RPGCrazied

Gravijah said:
i will cut you

take that suggestion back

You are a troubled man. :p No seriously, isn't it time for a 2D game? I guess it doesn't have to be 2.5D. We have a lot of 3D Metroid games now. I think its time to go back to that art style.

Rafaelcsa said:
I'd like a sequel to the gameplay ideas of Other M. An ironed out, more polished sequel with improved level design and better music would be my perfect idea of 3D Metroid. It'd be even better if the story was minimal this time, but, really, I didn't mind that much Other M's story. It was fine for what it was. Could have been a lot worse. Still, minimal story is definitely preferable.

I guess not many people agree, but I think Other M nailed how Samus' movement and the combat in 3D Metroid should be. The controls were amazing. It controls better than many games on HD consoles which use a bajillion buttons and combinations. It's definitely a great start to build a fantastic 3D Metroid on top of it. The game just needed less linear, more well thought-out level design (without artificial locking of doors and passages... I hate that). And also better music.

No, you're pretty much spot on.

Ranger X

If they release another crappy Metroid they will run the IP into the ground.

We need a NSMBWii / DKCR type of revival: Just trying to make a great 2D Metroid instead of changing the damn formula.

ATF487

Why do people hate 2.5D so much?

I want another 2D game, retail release preferably. Doesn't matter if it's on the 3DS or the Wii, but I've never really been able to get into the 3D games like I could with the 2D ones.

Oh, and I'd love a remake of Metroid 2.

Zeal

Banned
complete reboot. hyper realistic style, grand scale, and 0 anime influences. Samus returns to her roots as a loner and uncompromising bounty hunter.

think Halo meets Children of Men in terms of visual design and mood.

Cheerilee

Samus will be resigned to being an unlockable/DLC character in DOA Beach Volleyball and Smash Bros.

ATF487 said:
Why do people hate 2.5D so much?
Polygons in a fixed-perspective game are just there for the sake of people who still think polygons are high-tech. Polygons aren't a proper substitute for drawings.

Flashy and meaningless swoops and zooms of the camera aren't a good enough reason to handcuff the art.

Simply put the series needs to return to its roots. The real problem is that they're always trying to shoehorn in "new" elements and reinvent the wheel rather than taking a formula already oozing potential and running with it. Super Metroid provides the perfect template, just as the original Metroid provided the template for Super Metroid. I'm a bit confused why Nintendo has such difficulty being faithful yet forward thinking with this franchise.

mantidor

I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell did Sakamoto reached to Team Ninja for Other M. The interviews say that they had the experience with 3D that Sakamoto's team didn't had but there's plenty of 3D experience within Nintendo, why not use it? why not use Retro? Who knows what went behind curtains but it really feels it was a careless decision.

While it's unfair to blame Team Ninja for everything, specially the horrendous story and characterization, things like design, item placement and bits like that can be entirely blamed on them. They made a team that brought the worst of each part instead of the best. Well I guess at least Samus' animations were pretty cool.

If whats next for Metroid means to completely forget Other M I would be really happy, it's not the absolute worst and some things worked, but this was a game franchise that was basically spotless, the overall package of Other M was mediocre at best in that light, and only deserves to be swept under the rug. The good doesn't outdo the bad, at all.

Foffy

Banned
7Th said:
Iga is jobless now, they can get him to direct Metroid 3DS; he has more than enough experience, I think.

When did IGA get canned? Last I heard there was a rumor he was working on a 3DS Castlevania game.

Codeblue

The Prime games give me motion sickness, so my best case scenario is:

-Go back to the original formula

-Make adjustments to the Other M formula. I thought the game played great, loved the controls and all that, but the story destroyed the game.

Cheerilee

Foffy said:
When did IGA get canned? Last I heard there was a rumor he was working on a 3DS Castlevania game.
About a year before he made Harmony of Despair, apparently. He might be making 3DS Castlevania, but they moved his office to the storage room and there seems to be some sort of mixup with his paycheck.

Mercurystream is probably fired too though.

mantidor said:
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell did Sakamoto reached to Team Ninja for Other M. The interviews say that they had the experience with 3D that Sakamoto's team didn't had but there's plenty of 3D experience within Nintendo, why not use it? why not use Retro? Who knows what went behind curtains but it really feels it was a careless decision.
Apparently there was some sort of a rift between Sakamoto and the guy who produced the Prime games. Sakamoto initially just signed off on the Prime games and Nintendo tried to play up his involvement, but then the other guy started wanting credit for his work where credit was due, and then he started thinking that he was better than Sakamoto, so they butted heads a little. Sakamoto wanted to prove him wrong, but well...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I actually enjoyed the core foundation of MOM and think there's something there to build on. Just shed the horrifically amateurish and borderline offensive cutscenes and storylines, get some interesting level designs going on, and you'd have a good game.

MisterAnderson said:
So, was Other M bad? I'm out of the loop.

It wasn't merely bad, it was toxic. The game was determined to destroy the respectability of Samus. She is now a badly-voiced fragile flower, frozen in terror at the mere sight of Ridley, and refuses to use her weapons (even when in immense danger) until a man says she can. It pollutes a magnificent franchise.

Its also shoddy, inferior to the eight-year-old Metroid Prime in every measurable way. It looks worse, it sounds worse, it plays worse, it has fewer new ideas, has a boring boring setting and has a lot (A FUCKING LOT) of cutscenes.

It shouldn't exist.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
mantidor said:

Sakamoto and team, probably have a specific view of what Metroid would look like in 3D, and I am totally sure that the Metroid team wanted Metroid to be third person. After all, the root of the team is making platform games. You take away the third person jumping mechanic, and I don't know if it is Metroid to them.

While it's unfair to blame Team Ninja for everything, specially the horrendous story and characterization, things like design, item placement and bits like that can be entirely blamed on them. They made a team that brought the worst of each part instead of the best. Well I guess at least Samus' animations were pretty cool.

You can't blame Team Ninja for the story at all. It is clearly the creation of Sakamoto (Nintendo), Kitanichi (D-Rockets), and whoever from Tree House was involved in translating the English story.

But Sakamoto has been writing eccentric Japanese only stories for a LONG TIME. It was just a tough tough transition from then to now. Has Sakamoto ever been interviewed post-release with the criticisms??

G-Fex

Top down metroid or dead space like metroid.

I don't know, either way something all metroid like, I didn't really dig prime 3 but I have bought 2 and am gonna play it soon.

bon

Mama Robotnik said:
It wasn't merely bad, it was toxic. The game was determined to destroy the respectability of Samus. She is now a badly-voiced fragile flower, frozen in terror at the mere sight of Ridley, and refuses to use her weapons (even when in immense danger) until a man says she can. It pollutes a magnificent franchise.

Its also shoddy, inferior to the eight-year-old Metroid Prime in every measurable way. It looks worse, it sounds worse, it plays worse, it has fewer new ideas, has a boring boring setting and has a lot (A FUCKING LOT) of cutscenes.

It shouldn't exist.
Oh you joker you.

ruby_onix said:
Apparently there was some sort of a rift between Sakamoto and the guy who produced the Prime games. Sakamoto initially just signed off on the Prime games and Nintendo tried to play up his involvement, but then the other guy started wanting credit for his work where credit was due, and then he started thinking that he was better than Sakamoto, so they butted heads a little. Sakamoto wanted to prove him wrong, but well...
Is there any source for this?

During the development and post release of Other M, the internet really tried to play up some kind of dramatic "rivalry" or "resentment" between Retro and Sakamoto (and usually tried to put a racial/nationalistic spin on it too), yet there was never really any proof outside of wild speculation or incredibly stretched readings of interviews. Like the myth that Sakamoto said that the Prime games weren't canon.

Other M may have been a huge misstep in many ways, but this part of it always bothered me.

Ranger X

Zeal said:
complete reboot. hyper realistic style, grand scale, and 0 anime influences. Samus returns to her roots as a loner and uncompromising bounty hunter.

think Halo meets Children of Men in terms of visual design and mood.

Talk about diametrically perfect opposite opinions we have. I swear I hope God exist and prevent any Metroid dev to actually do this. :p

Boney

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

It shouldn't exist.
when does this happen?

The only inmediate danger is Ridley, and Plasma beam and Super missiles are activated inmediately.

Foffy

Banned
ruby_onix said:
About a year before he made Harmony of Despair, apparently. He might be making 3DS Castlevania, but they moved his office to the storage room and there seems to be some sort of mixup with his paycheck.

Mercurystream is probably fired too though.

B-but Mercurysteam is making two DLCs for Lords of Shadow and a sequel to that game, so how're they fired? :p

Cheerilee

EmCeeGramr said:
Is there any source for this?

During the development and post release of Other M, the internet really tried to play up some kind of dramatic "rivalry" or "resentment" between Retro and Sakamoto (and usually tried to put a racial/nationalistic spin on it too), yet there was never really any proof outside of wild speculation or incredibly stretched readings of interviews. Like the myth that Sakamoto said that the Prime games weren't canon.

Other M may have been a huge misstep in many ways, but this part of it always bothered me.
Google tells me that the guy I was thinking of is Kensuke Tanabe. I recalled him saying something to the effect of 3D Metroid belonging to him now, but looking at it again it looks more harmless.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/616/616902p2.html
IGN: So after Metroid Prime Hunters can we expect a move back to a 2D Metroid on the Nintendo DS any time soon?

Kensuke Tanabe: The 2D traditional Metroid game designs are produced by Yoshio Sakamoto, and I'm responsible for the 3D series. Mr. Sakamoto is thinking of lots of ideas. (laughs).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sakamoto needs to come out and say that Other M was just a horrible nightmare Samus had while she was being fused with a Metroid or X Parasite or whatever.

carlo6529

They seriously need to stop messing around with this series. You don't fix what aint broke. I really don't know why they strayed away from Super Metroid so much.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
let sakurai do a 3ds rail shooter in which samus grinds rails and literally never stops saying 'the baby'

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
apana said:
-Celtroid: Toon shaded 3D Metroid a la Wind Waker. Complete with cute monsters and everything. Made by Aonuma and Koizumi.

Y'know actually, I think something like MvC3's cel shading, with its heavy black shadows, would work pretty awesome with Metroid. See the artwork for Zero Mission for details.

samus_zero-mission.jpg

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Let Metroid rest on the Wii, save it for next gen IMO. It took an unfortunate turn and needs some time to shake that stigma off. I certainly want to see a proper 2.5D Metroid on the 3DS though, Shadow Complex style.

Metroid Other M was an excellent game. What is the point of another 2d Metroid? We already have Super Metroid. What is the point of another Prime game? We already have 3 of them. Metroid Other M was original, and unlike most original games, it worked pretty well. The game's not perfect, it's not up to the standard of Super Metroid, but it is still a very good game. Super Metroid is easily one of the top five games ever made and it's only a very special game that could ever hope to surpass it. I'd like to see Sakamoto and Team Ninja work on a sequel to Other M in which they refine the gameplay and take their game further.

I have no idea why the Prime games are favored over Other M. The Prime games were good for what they were, but they were nothing special. Graphically they were beautiful, but in terms of gameplay the Prime games were often boring.

I am also extremely puzzled why 'fans' of the Metroid series care so much about the cut-scenes in Other M. Super Metroid only had a short cut scene in the beginning... if you're a fan of that game, then why do you expect amazing cut-scenes in Other M? Sakamoto was trying something new... it wasn't perfect but at least he tried. Cut-scenes have no effect on gameplay, and the gameplay in Other M is really quite good and unique.

Instro

Im sure we will get some sort of 3DS Metroid, Other M style would be fine, they just need to fix some things. Working with Team Ninja was probably a bad idea to begin and theres blame to be placed on both sides of that project. Also those weird stories about their being animosity between Retro and Sakamoto always seem to be grossly exaggerated.

Anyway, for the next console game, I think they should either go for a fully 3rd person game instead of Other M's weird 2.5D stuff, or return to the FPS style of Prime. Ideally I would like Retro to be involved, because the next console Metroid would obviously be on the Wii successor, and I would love to see what Retro could pull off with a more powerful console.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kind of agree with Mama Robotnik.

No Yoshio Sakamoto, no stupid storyline, limited hand-holding/linearity, good difficulty. It's surprising how close these are to my expectations for Zelda...

Oh and good atmosphere. The sound effects and music in games like Metroid 2 really made them. I was so scared everytime I would encounter a Metroid!

Failing a new 2D Metroid, I want that Metroid 2 remake, except not plagued with all the problems of modern 2D Metroid (Fusion/Zero Mission).

Instro

Kilrogg said:
Kind of agree with Mama Robotnik.

No Yoshio Sakamoto, no stupid storyline, limited hand-holding/linearity, good difficulty. It's surprising how close these are to my expectations for Zelda...

Oh and good atmosphere. The sound effects and music in games like Metroid 2 really made them. I was so scared everytime I would encounter a Metroid!

Failing a new 2D Metroid, I want that Metroid 2 remake, except not plagued with all the problems of modern 2D Metroid (Fusion/Zero Mission).

Metroid 2 is the worst Metroid except for Hunters.

Top Bottom