• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future of Metroid?

apana

Hey guys I've been thinking about Metroid a lot recently since I'm replaying Prime 2. Wonder what you think the future of this franchise is? Metroid Other M looked to be a not so good game, and seems like everyone thinks this franchise is close to dead. I hope not. Please give your suggestions for what Nintendo should do. I will keep this short and sweet:

-Celtroid: Toon shaded 3D Metroid a la Wind Waker. Complete with cute monsters and everything. Made by Aonuma and Koizumi.

- 2D Metroid on 3DS.

-Reboot of franchise with Sakamoto taken off storyline and game design.

I fear that Metroid is a series that has fallen into irrelevancy (GOD I HOPE NOT)

But it's gonna be hard to make us forget Metroid Other M. The next iteration of Metroid has to be a real ass-kicker to get the series relevant again.

2D Metroid on 3DS

NO FUCKING .5

I wouldn't even mind if it was true 2.5 - Metroid Other M had these really, really weird camera angles that just got in the way of gameplay. If it was static 2.5, meaning, no weird camera angles, just plain camera, I think it would be fine.

Also, bring back the great, great level designs, hidden passages, etc.

Boney

Banned
2D Metroid on Super Wii is the only way. At launch.

apana said:
-Celtroid: Toon shaded 3D Metroid a la Wind Waker. Complete with cute monsters and everything. Made by Aonuma and Koizumi
No.

Poyunch

Metroid doesn't need a cel-shaded game and the cutesy designs might disrupt the fans who prefer the serious atmosphere.

zeelman

Sakamoto has clearly proven he has no clue how to make a videogame anymore, so I can only trust the Metroid series in the hands of Retro Studios now.

Gravijah

Sohter.Nura said:
I wouldn't even mind if it was true 2.5 - Metroid Other M had these really, really weird camera angles that just got in the way of gameplay. If it was static 2.5, meaning, no weird camera angles, just plain camera, I think it would be fine.

Also, bring back the great, great level designs, hidden passages, etc.

I don't really like 2.5D games. I think NSMBW is ugly because of it, and so is DKCR.

Boney

Banned
zeelman said:
Sakamoto has clearly proven he has no clue how to make a videogame anymore, so I can only trust the Metroid series in the hands of Retro Studios now.
rhythm-heaven-wii-screenshot-2.jpg

derp

Gravijah said:
I don't really like 2.5D games. I think NSMBW is ugly because of it, and so is DKCR.

Perhaps, but I think you could still get a lot of the gritty atmosphere of the prime series or even from Super Metroid in 2.5D.

Hey, I'd rather have plain 2D myself, though.

To repeat what I said in the Zelda 25th Annivesary thread:

For Metroid's 25th Anniversary, it would be nice to get Metroid 2 remade in the Zero Mission style, allowing us to explore the depths of the Chozo world, its cities and ruins, and that pivotal laboratory where it all started. The final sections of the game could be expanded massively, to give us real insight as to why the Chozo would make such creatures.

That's where I'd go for the immediate next game.

A more long-term view would be:

(1) The Other M team failed, miserably. Their game (adequate as it was) was inferior to the eight-year old Metroid Prime in every measurable way. Visuals, audio, setting, mechanics, controls, story, original ideas, fuck even the title screen. They should not be allowed near this franchise again.

(2) Lets move on pass the current series mythology. Look to Aliens for inspiration: Say Samus wakes up in an unfamiliar time following Metroid Fusion, a century or two has passed. The Space Pirates are defeated. The medical tech removes all traces of Metroid/X DNA from her.

A colony built on a planet somewhere loses signal. Samus is sent to investigate. It turns out that there was stuff buried beneath the planet that no one knew about. There's your story.

(3) If its 2D then build on the scale and mechanics of Super Metroid and Zero Mission. Above all, make it challenging!

(4) If its 3D, given that Retro are occupied with DKR, see if Valve are interesting in developing such a Metroid game for the next Nintendo console. Give them significant creative control.

(5) Treat Other M like Highlander 2. It. Never. Happened.

Boney

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
(2) Lets move on pass the current series mythology. Look to Aliens for inspiration: Say Samus wakes up in an unfamiliar time following Metroid Fusion, a century or two has passed. The Space Pirates are defeated. The medical tech removes all traces of Metroid/X DNA from her.
Wow, that right there, is so simple, yet is gold.

No 3D Metroid though. No way.

zeelman said:
What is this telling me? He made Rhythm Heaven?
with his team yes.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Take Sakamoto off Metroid? The same guy who directed Metroid 3, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid: Zero Mission? The same guy that worked on Metroid 1?

Metroid: Other M is a difficult game to gauge because it was 3 guys from the Metroid team, collaborating with Team Ninja (main development), D-Rockets (cg cinemas), and Nintendo of America (translation). It wasn't exactly a traditional sequel either.

Why would you even blame Sakamoto for the game design of Metroid: Other M? If Team Ninja stuck with the original plan, we would have a 2.5d only Metroid. He wasn't the level designer or level director. Takehiko Hosokawa of Nintendo was technically the game play director, but all he could really do is make suggestions of what he was receiving from Team Ninja.

Then again, Sakamoto did have the wacky idea of first person pointer aiming, which is dual strikes on the Wii crappy pointer and Sakamoto insanity. But he is still the man. Rhythm Heaven and Metroid 2D from Sakamoto.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Take Sakamoto off Metroid? The same guy who directed Metroid 3, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid: Zero Mission? The same guy that worked on Metroid 1?

Metroid: Other M is a difficult game to gauge because it was 3 guys from the Metroid team, collaborating with Team Ninja (main development), D-Rockets (cg cinemas), and Nintendo of America (translation). It wasn't exactly a traditional sequel either.

Why would you even blame Sakamoto for the game design of Metroid: Other M? If Team Ninja stuck with the original plan, we would have a 2.5d only Metroid. He wasn't the level designer or level director. Takehiko Hosokawa of Nintendo was technically the game play director, but all he could really do is make suggestions of what he was receiving from Team Ninja.

Then again, Sakamoto did have the wacky idea of first person pointer aiming, which is dual strikes on the Wii crappy pointer and Sakamoto insanity. But he is still the man. Rhythm Heaven and Metroid 2D from Sakamoto.

Summed it up nicely. Though Wii's pointer is far from crappy, its just that the implementation was awful in that game.

Boney

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

It doesn't matter. They ruined our fair space knight, that for some reason likes to take her clothes off, and it didn't have not 1 single good thing.

But really, it has a bunch of cool ideas that aren't followed as in depth as it should, and some other great ones that were overshadowed by a bunch of the most brain dead design decisions of all time. It's a mixed bag, but it isn't the monster everybody loves to say it is.

All I want is for them to do one of the following:

1) Remake Metroid II a la Zero Mission
2) Make a new 2D Metroid for the 3DS
3) 1+2
4) Kill the franchise

I'd also argue to remove a little bit of the story aspect of Metroid, but I think some might disagree with me.

Super Metroid is probably one of my favorite games of all time and I replayed it dozens of times on my SNES. But in all honesty, I never cared or knew what the **** was going in the game's story. All I knew was that I had to hunt Metroids (and really, that's not what the objective of the game was lol).

I didn't know who the **** Mother Brain was, I didn't know the hell Ridley was, I didn't know about the intergalactic space.

All I knew is that I was one dude walking around this planet trying to find my way out. And then a few hours later I found out that he was a she.

My point is that you don't necessarily have to put cannon inside the Metroid universe.

OR, if you ARE going to do it, then do it Metroid Prime style: NOBODY inside the game is talking to you, YOU don't talk to anybody, and you find out what's going on by events and scanning things.

In other words, make Samus a solitary hunter again.

Rush2thestart said:
Summed it up nicely. Though Wii's pointer is far from crappy, its just that the implementation was awful in that game.

I actually thought it was pretty well done and decidely novel. Never had an issue with it, and I'm usually a stickler for frustrating input mechanics.

Tain

A 2D (sprites or polygons) Metroid on the Wii that is at least as good as Fusion would be wonderful, but I don't think we'll get anything like that again.

Boney

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:
OR, if you ARE going to do it, then do it Metroid Prime style: NOBODY inside the game is talking to you, YOU don't talk to anybody, and you find out what's going on by events and scanning things.

In other words, make Samus a solitary hunter again.
Scanning has no room in Metroid.

thefro

_Alkaline_ said:
I actually thought it was pretty well done and decidely novel. Never had an issue with it, and I'm usually a stickler for frustrating input mechanics.

The issue was the pixel hunts, not the aiming. I thought that was fine and pointing the wiimote at the sensor bar to go into first-person aiming clicked after about a half hour of playing for me.

Boney said:
I just feel like the sense of isolation and solitary hunter in the best games of the series is really what sums up Metroid.

I don't even mind some minor interaction with another character (Like Adam in fusion), but I feel like having too many characters on screen in the Metroid series kills the atmosphere that made some of the games great.

Boney said:

(Completely optional) scanning was one of the most brilliant ways of telling a backstory, through translated murals, fragmented computer records and biodata.

If they keep it optional then isn't everyone happy? Those who don't like it, don't scan. And those of that love those tidbits of information get our scanning.

Boney

Banned
95270_o.gif

it halts the pace of the game horribly. And long winded cinemas have no place in it either. Story can happen, but no long winded expositions.

Mama Robotnik said:
(Completely optional) scanning was one of the most brilliant ways of telling a backstory, through translated murals, fragmented computer records and biodata.

If they keep it optional then isn't everyone happy? Those who don't like it, don't scan. And those of that love those tidbits of information get our scanning.
I can't get my endings. Plus Metroid can't move 1mile per hour.

cnizzle06 said:
Other M but with more cutscenes. Also, make sure they're in over-the-top soap opera fashion.

They should make sure that we have to stand perfectly still to fire anything this time, not just missiles, but anything at all.

And Samus shouldn't use any of her weapons until she finds a man who says she is allowed to, its really important they keep that.

Chemo said:
Of stupid shit.
Wow, way to be an ass. That all your going to contribute to this thread? Well, I guess I won't know as I won't be able to see your posts anyway.

Actually, I would take a 2D sprite game over 2.5D, with tons of layers to utilize 3D.

2D Metroid on the Wii or 3DS a'la Super Metroid Style.
With main focus in art style for the backgrounds and stylized visual style, also great music and flow movements. I couldn't care if the story was mediocre, I only care for gameplay.

NOT. SIDEWAYS. WIIMOTE. CONTROLS. (this is the most important thing... the DPad in the Wiimote is just awful)

Gravijah

DisenLedZep said:
NOT. SIDEWAYS. WIIMOTE. CONTROLS. (this is the most important thing... the DPad in the Wiimote is just awful)

I wouldn't call it awful. I put good time into River City Ransom with that thing!

SimonM7

Well first thing that needs to happen is some sort of official rollback of the Other M atrocity. Having held Samus Aran high in regard as one of the true video game icons for as long back as I can remember, Other M made a *significant* dent in my appreciation for that character.

How significant? Well, I've been planning on getting a cat for a long time, and the absolute no-brainer name has always been Samus. I genuinely don't know about that anymore.

So this is serious! The existence of a cat's name depends on it! :p

So yeah, make Other M the Snake's Revenge of Metroid. (I realise that's technically the Prime saga, but when a Kubrick comes in and does a Jack Nicholson The Shining with your stuff, you probably shouldn't get your panties in a bunch and make a shoddy TV series that poops all over itself)

Gameplay wise it depends. 3DS should prolly carry on the tradition of having a real 2D Metroid (ironically!), but on the Wii.. I mean I don't really think Other M's core gameplay is that bad, it was mainly its style of progression that was irksome. The dpad thing was a bizarre choice, but you can easily redeem that by.. not making that mistake again. Just sort the progression in it, give it back a Metroid groove instead of linear funneling and I think you can stick to that outline. Oh and to distinguish it from Other M, prolly good if they can change the artstyle some too. Nothing too fancy, necessarily, just so it's set apart.

The real fire they need to put out remains the story/characterisation stuff, and I honestly dunno how you even do that within the lifecycle of the console the first complete travesty was on. It's probably a branding thing. It prolly needs a new solid full new name like Metroid Prime (that allows for attached subtitles, as opposed to Other M which felt like a subtitle itself) so it starts a new arc that they can tie into whichever prior version of the games they want.

Mama Robotnik said:
They should make sure that we have to stand perfectly still to fire anything this time, not just missiles, but anything at all.
IMO shooting just breaks up the flow of the game. Metroid should be more akin to something like Heavy Rain, only without all those annoying QTE.

Gravijah said:
I wouldn't call it awful. I put good time into River City Rampage with that thing!

But Nintendo made a beautiful DPad in the original DS... :(
How could this happen *leaves crying*

I know it's not that bad... but I do know it could be better.

Top Bottom