• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future putting out a Metal Gear Anthology book (148pgs - HC limited to 1000 copies)

There is also a working voucher code for 20% off orders over £20 (may work with $ too)
The code is 20OFF20

Saw this online today and figured folk may be interested. From looking at one of the writer's twitter account they're aiming for a 148 page count and are still looking for more collaborators as well. It seems a similar book was also done by Future for GTA. Anyone have impressions of that?

Paperback
Hardback

mgs_p1_p1(1).jpg

Golden Joystick Presents: Metal Gear Solid

Celebrate the history of one of the most innovative, influential and ambitious series in video-games. Discover the past, present and future of the legendary MGS saga, ahead of the release of the highly-anticipated Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

With rare interviews, archive material and fresh insight, learn what drives legendary developer Hideo Kojima as MGSV concludes his his epic story of war, technology, philosophy, family and legacy, 28 years after Solid Snake first infiltrated Outer Heaven on the MSX console.

The definitive guide to the series that redefined stealth gaming, subverted the rules of storytelling and disrupted the real-world cycle of pre-release hype and promotion – told by the journalists, developers and gamers who helped shape its place in history. This is the first entry in an exciting series of books from the creators of the biggest – and longest running games award show in the world, The Golden Joystick Awards.

What’s in it?

The 50 greatest moments in MGS history – as nominated by the Golden Joystick audience
The complete MGS anthology – archive reviews, director insight, full game catalogue
The Evolution of Snake – a visual history of the most iconic action hero in video-games
48 hours inside MGSV – an unrivaled hands-on with Kojima's latest action epic
The ruse cruise: How MGS's marketing destroyed everyone's sense of reality

Jawmuncher

Of all the art work they could have used for that cover, they went with Portable Ops. Which is like half canon or something depending on who you ask.
Oh well.

Too bad there's no digital copy. I literally cannot shelve all my books anymore, so I try not to buy physical copies of new books and save space for obscure old titles I can find in booksales and the like.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Of all the art work they could have used for that cover. They went with Portable Ops which is like half canon or something depending on who you ask. Oh well.

The very first thing I noticed. Actually loving the irony.

Of all the art work they could have used for that cover, they went with Portable Ops. Which is like half canon or something depending on who you ask.
Oh well.

It's made by Kojima Pro. It's Metal Gear. It counts in my book. ;)

Love the fact that it's Portable Ops because that game shouldn't be forgotten. It had style even if it didn't work at times.

illusionary

Interesting, I'll keep an eye on this.

Oh well.

Some hope, at least: *** Representative cover image subject to change.

Woffls

Nearly bought this earlier but have decided against it for now. I was put off by them thinking that a top 50 would be good content for anyone with more than a passing interest in the series.

MSX console
Triggered. It's not a console, it's a PC platform. Why do even writers I like—say, Jeremy Parish—call it a console and treat it like it's the one alternative to a Famicom back in 1985? Cartridges do not a console make. MSX(2) machines have disk drives and games (not to forget, the NEC PC-6001's games often came on cartridge or tape). I wouldn't desire to separate the MSX, on historical terms, from platform cultures surrounding it, but I suppose few enough people know about NEC, Sharp, and Fujitsu PCs to place the MSX platform alongside them. The MSX isn't a Kojima device exclusively, just as the PC-88 wasn't simply a Falcom one.

Fisty

148 pages of Shinkawa goodness would have been a no-brainer... but I will see how this turns out. Future does excellent work, so the quality should be top-notch.

Arttemis

148 pages of Shinkawa goodness would have been a no-brainer... but I will see how this turns out. Future does excellent work, so the quality should be top-notch.

Ya, bummer . It hardly seems like an art book. Only one section even implies it. It's more like a small, novelty book on trivia.

Fisty

Ya, bummer . It hardly seems like an art book. Only one section even implies it. It's more like a small, novelty book on trivia.

Yeah which is exactly why Im hesitant to pull the trigger. I wouldnt hesitate for an art book though.

Triggered. It's not a console, it's a PC platform. Why do even writers I like—say, Jeremy Parish—call it a console and treat it like it's the one alternative to a Famicom back in 1985? Cartridges do not a console make. MSX(2) machines have disk drives and games (not to forget, the NEC PC-6001's games often came on cartridge or tape). I wouldn't desire to separate the MSX, on historical terms, from platform cultures surrounding it, but I suppose few enough people know about NEC, Sharp, and Fujitsu PCs to place the MSX platform alongside them. The MSX isn't a Kojima device exclusively, just as the PC-88 wasn't simply a Falcom one.
Damn bro

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Will buy ten copies, build shrine

R-User!

Sold!

Keep in mind, it says that they need 200 preorders to guarantee a printing of 1000 Hardcovers, so if you're on the fense, I say go for it; it'll probably be one of the last books of its kind on the MGS Universe, and 25 US dollars for a collection of 'everything' METAL GEAR, sounds like a steal to me! :)

And it looks like they ship to the U.S. based on my preorder process.

Danny-Boy

Purchased the limited edition hardcover. Thanks OP! As soon as I read metal gear and limited edition I was all over it.

Well that's fun.

I decided to purchase it but it kept saying my card information was entered incorrectly and told me to submit it again. So I would, and every time I would triple check but it would just do that over and over but would get that same message. So I just finally gave up and then my bank called to check in because they were alerted to it and said it looked like I bought it numerous times even though I never went through with a single order. And now my bank account is a little over $200 lighter. :/

Flunkie

Banned
seems like something good to put on the shelf for my eventual kids to read after Kojima is remembered as the guy that got fired before Konami made Metal Gear-Ville and Snakey Crush Saga

nemisis0

Tried to order but it's not getting through, gets added to the basket then removed when going to payment screen, I guess they have sold out now.

Boke1879

Well that's fun.

I decided to purchase it but it kept saying my card information was entered incorrectly and told me to submit it again. So I would, and every time I would triple check but it would just do that over and over but would get that same message. So I just finally gave up and then my bank called to check in because they were alerted to it and said it looked like I bought it numerous times even though I never went through with a single order. And now my bank account is a little over $200 lighter. :/

Yea I went through once without checking out and went back to make sure my address was entered right. Went through it a second time and I checked my statement and it showed that I was charged twice.

I emailed them and asked to just cancel the order. so hopefully they get back to me soon and do that.

Yea I went through once without checking out and went back to make sure my address was entered right. Went through it a second time and I checked my statement and it showed that I was charged twice.

I emailed them and asked to just cancel the order. so hopefully they get back to me soon and do that.

I emailed them too, but given that it's a UK site (and I'm in NY) I'm not expecting a reply until tomorrow morning. I really hope they sort this out without any issues.

Front cover of the hardback:
mgs_z1_z1.jpg

Front cover of the paperback:
gjp01.cover_z1_z1.jpg

I am going to call them tomorrow to confirm, but if this is accurate, then I'm getting the paperback.

Top Bottom