• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F Man Blames The Weed For Attempting to Open Plane Door and Attacking Passengers

norm9

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/tampa-man-edible-marijuana-made-me-punch-out-flight-attendants/2340761

TAMPA — A Tampa man says edible marijuana caused him to try to exit a plane mid-flight and then assault passengers and crew in July.

Joseph Hudek IV was on a Delta flight from Seattle to Beijing when he tried to open a door and then punched an attendant and passenger who were helping to subdue him.

In an affidavit, Hudek said he ingested the drugs in Seattle just before getting on the plane.

"My understanding is that it was legal to buy and consume marijuana in the state," he wrote. "After purchasing the edible marijuana, I ate it."

That was enough for a federal magistrate judge Tuesday to let him out of jail until his trial, which is scheduled for February.

The incident happened about an hour after the evening flight took off from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Hudek was riding in first class, according to court documents, using a ticket that he got free from Delta, where his mother works.

He drank a beer on the plane just before takeoff but no other alcohol. An hour in, he went to the bathroom, exited, returned and then came out again, this time shirtless. He grabbed the handle and tried to open the exit door, shouting, "I want to get out!"

The plane began turning around and flight attendants tried to stop him. Hudek pushed them out of the way, punching one several times. He also punched a passenger in the face and hit him in the back of the head with a wine bottle. Eventually, the passenger and others restrained him.

Since the flight, his legal team has collected and submitted hundreds of pages of testimonials from Hudek's family, friends and former baseball teammates, who all said that "Jojo" was not a violent person.

One endorsement came from Florida House Minority Leader Janet Cruz, D-Tampa. Cruz wrote on office letterhead that Hudek grew up across the street from her and that she considered him an "honorable and caring" young man.

Another came from his uncle, former All-Star major league pitcher John Hudek, who wrote that the incident "is something that I have never seen from Jojo."

Hudek's physician, Dr. Joe Whitaker of Tampa, filed an affidavit claiming "paranoia, confusion, hallucinations and combativeness" are adverse effects of orally-ingested cannibinoids.

Two other doctors, who were both friends of the Hudeks, said they also believed the drug caused his outburst.

No way anyone got the location wrong. This was a fat pitch right down the middle.

Bean me with a wine bottle if old.

giphy.gif

Trouble

Banned
We need a no casuals rule when people try to buy edibles.

E: Oh shit he was flying non-rev. Well he can kiss that benefit goodbye forever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah I'm sure he didn't do anything else in that first trip to the bathroom before he took his shirt off.

Mugsy

Since the flight, his legal team has collected and submitted hundreds of pages of testimonials from Hudek's family, friends and former baseball teammates, who all said that "Jojo" was not a violent person.

Clearly there is another person responsible for all this,

69f.gif

Viewt

I like how his two doctor bros are like, "Yeah, for sure, coulda been weed, ya know?"

Also, this happened in Tampa, so you can assume by "weed," he means meth.

Poppy

bullshit. the worst edibles ever did to me was make me quiver under a blanket with one eye open staring at nothing for a few hours and also that one time where i passed out after getting up to go to the bathroom and dented my wall

If people aren't sure of how they will respond to an edible they need to fucking take that shit at home with someone sober watching over them.

see5harp

I despise people who cannot hold their drugs. I remember a roommate back in college who legit fucked my trip up fully by pulling this maniacal shit on LSD.

Nepenthe

Oh, this is the guy who screamed "Do you know who I am?!" after taking that wine bottle to the head. He cracks me up. Figured he had to be on something, though I don't think weed does that.

Top Bottom